Finding the silver lining!

Regattah

I just wanted to share with you guys what happened yesterday.

I had a really lovely weekend planned for this weekend which has gone somewhat awry. It's older DD's exeat weekend, so we decided to go to Move It on Saturday before NYB audition today (Sunday). I brought younger DD, who was really keen to have a dance class at Move It, even though she is not at all well cardiac-wise at the moment. She did half an hour of the most ridiculously low impact RAD Swan Lake class before she felt really unwell. So after being looked after by the medics at Olympia, we had to get her through the Chelsea match traffic to Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. The paramedic in the ambulance only turned out to be the brother of an RB soloist! I won't say which one, but I was impressed! And he himself had been to Laine and had spent 15 years dancing with the likes of Take That!

Thank you, celb, Pictures and C4d! We're still in hospital and I'm not sure they'll let her out today. She has come down with tonsillitis overnight and because she has deteriorated in the last six months (we're looking at another open heart op some time soon) then even something as mild as that just floors her.

Edited by Regattah

I am very impressed that you titled this thread 'silver lining' and that you were able to find it straight away! Hats off to you all for your strength in what must have been quite a worrying situation. Best wishes to you and your DDs xxxx

• Like 3

Thank you everyone! We have sent older DD back off on the train whilst we remain in Chelsea and Westminster for another night. One thing that is bothering her is that this confirms there can be no more ballet until after the next op (plus recovery time) :(

When do you anticipate her next op to be? I didn't realise both daughters were into ballet!!

She had an angioplasty (where they balloon open a passage way wider - in this case it is an artificial tube they put in when she was four) recently to try to delay the open heart. It wasn't very successful, though, and didn't really improve things. The consultants were due to case conference her in the last week but we haven't heard yet what their decision is as to when and what op they are recommending.

We had to have a chat recently about what her expectations were for her dancing. If anyone has any recommendations for low impact, graceful dancing styles that she would be more suited to I would be really grateful!

• Like 1

I'll have a think......but one which comes immediately to mind is a form of classical Indian Dance called Odissi.....I think!!

But it's quite a still form (unlike Kathakthali which is quite fast moving with lots of turns and stamping of the feet......in fact the origin of flamenco) anyway Odissi has amazing movements of the arms hands and face. I don't know whether this style is taught to children as some other styles are. It's used to tell stories from the Indian Mythology so has a relation to mime as well.

It is so hard for young ones to be limited by their health - and always good for us to be grateful daily that our dc are so fit and healthy and able to do what they enjoy.

Wishing you and your dd all the best.

• Like 5

I'm so sorry I haven't replied to this sooner. I wanted to wait until I was back home with wifi and a computer and, above all, less tired!

Lin, thank you so much for taking the time to look for the Odissi link. This is definitely what I was thinking of in terms of being 'dancey' yet demanding less stamina. She can definitely think of it for the future, but in the meantime we unfortunately live in one of the least culturally-diverse areas of the country, where there aren't any kinds of Indian dance classes, let alone Odissi! 

Julie, in answer to your question regarding the exercise that would be good for her, her doctors have always been pleased that she does ballet. They do want her to take part in some type of exercise when she can so that she can keep 'fit' (for her) and also to help her stay slim, as this puts less pressure on her heart to work hard. Since her last operation at 4 years old until now, ballet has served her well. For a start it's indoors, as she doesn't cope well with being cold. She also needs to do something that has frequent stops or at least periods of needing less stamina. The hardest thing for her is petit allegro and she has been able to just about make it through one execution of each of the exercises in exams. When she is exercising outside stopping is less easy as she would get cold if she stopped. It is the acknowledged wisdom that heart children and adults should not participate in anything competitive such as races as there is a danger that they will miss the signs that their bodies are giving them to stop and recover. The problem is that there is not any recognition that for a determined and hardworking child such as DD who cares strongly about their activity (e.g. ballet) the danger is there just as much as in competitive sports. I know that my DD pushes herself beyond the point where she needs to stop to get her breath back. When she's messing around at home I can tell her to stop, but I'm not there in class.

I've always known that as she progresses in ballet the demands that would be made of her body would grow to the point where I couldn't see her being able to cope with an advanced class, even in the years after the next open heart operation when she will be at her strongest. (Her blood oxygen saturations will probably drop gradually again until she needs the next one.) She is in Grade 5 now. Maybe she can keep going up through the grades just by doing what she can in class even if she is not able to take the exams. This would get her to the point where she is able to do more of what Balleteacher suggests. She is not at the choreo etc stage yet as she is only 11 (Year 6)! She has also mentioned a few times that she would like to be a dance physio. Her other career aspiration is to be a paediatric doctor so it's again in the medical field. If she can keep doing classes, even if not flat out, this would of course be helpful if she is to go down the dance physio route.

So, after a long and waffley post, I would be grateful to hear if anyone has any ideas about what she can do both now and in the future.

Maybe she could go to Pilates classes? It's great for dancers, slow, done to your own breathing (so she will always notice if she needs a rest - she will constantly be focused on her body/mind). Then she could become a Pilates instructor and work with dancers? And then a physio? Good luck to her in whatever she chooses

• Like 1