Katymac

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will just keep saying thank you and smiling

Goodness help my team this week I won't be down to earth by Monday

And you know with out you guys we probably wouldn't be here!!  I will be making sure the dance school she left (as she didn't concentrate, put in any effort and wasn't very good) finds out about this ;):P !!

Oh dear that wasn't very nice was it....oops!

• Like 5

Great news Katymac.....well done to your dd!

My dd is having a crisis of confidence.....she's having trouble sleeping; she's expected to get 'A's in her GCSEs by her school and she got a 'no' from Central and had hip pain during her Elmhurst audition so didn't do as well as she hoped so is expecting a 'no'.  She is performing in 'Cinderella' next month so has rehearsals every weekend now leading up to the first performance in February and still has 3 auditions and 1 back up to go. She says her technique is not as good (she's working towards Adv 1 RAD and also studies Adv 2 and takes ballet 6 days a week (over 19 hours a week at the moment - she's not at vocational school). Does everyone go through this and for those who have been through this audition process and come out the other side have any advice?

• Like 1

Well DD did; after her Performers audition she panicked and applied to the local BTEC college; because everyone was SO good

It's hard moving away from where you are comfortable and know your position in the pecking order to dance with new people who may be better than you (I think)

I feel that way when I go on a course for work....childcare....and then when I get home and do a de-brief I realise I knew most of it anyway & I'm better than I thought.  But that has taken years of 'going on training courses' I couldn't have done it at 15/16

I think I've run out of likes :(  when does my new 'day' start? I think once a year you should be able to get an extra quota!! :D:rolleyes:

I think i will have to ring & ask - it isn't clear on their website and 2 people have told me different things (thanks Flit and Float).  So they might have attended on different years or there might be 2 systems (one for certain places and one for borderline students maybe?)

Thank you everyone- I'll get round with my likes when I get some more!!! :huh::rolleyes::P:) Promise!!

• Like 4

Oh Jaylou, big hugs to your DD and yourself.  I think it is quite common as your DD is simply feeling the pressure from all directions.  Not really sure how to advise you.  I think all you can do is offer her reassurance that she can only do her best, that she has a good back up, that this pressure period has an end.  I know at this point in year 11 it does begin to feel like the stress will never end - and that's without auditions and a performance added in.  Soon her show will be over and that will be one less thing on her plate and hopefully you will get good news on the audition front and that will take some of the pressure off her.  It may not seem like it now but it will be June before she knows it and all the stress, pressure and uncertainty will be over.

• Like 4

Aw, thank you 2dancersmum - very reassuring. Dd bites everyone's head off at the moment so difficult to say anything to her and I realise she's under a lot of pressure. I know her dance teachers are expecting her to get a place somewhere so obviously don't doubt her.  I think I want to emigrate for a few months :) 

• Like 4

With 2 of them going through the audition process and getting ready for exams at school, the pressure in your house must be intense and I daresay you are all feeling it.  If I remember rightly, this coming week is packed with auditions - you had to move one for a clash of dates - so an extra portion of good luck for getting through this week.  If the remaining auditions are then a bit more spaced, maybe you will all feel a bit more relaxed and I hope you hear good news soon.

• Like 2

Jalou62 wow your DD is doing extremely well to keep up with all the dancing she is doing and that academic pressure too!!

I hope she manages to stay with what she wants. This was the point I gave up all those years ago.....just didn't have what it takes to keep it all up so in truly dramatic adolescent fashion just gave up all the dance!! But I wasn't hugely talented either being honest :(

It's much harder for students not at vocational school too especially if doing Dance every day as they don't have all the daily travelling both to school and then dance school so much less tiring!

Dealing with the rejections is no fun either so just needs a bit of extra tlc at mo no doubt!

• Like 2

It's much harder for students not at vocational school too especially if doing Dance every day as they don't have all the daily travelling both to school and then dance school so much less tiring!

Dealing with the rejections is no fun either so just needs a bit of extra tlc at mo no doubt!

This worries me about the future with dd

Although she is at vocational school she travels there every day over 45 miles each way.

At the moment she doesn't have much homework but struggles to fit in her daily stretching & physio excercises, practice, music practice & homework before bedtime which has to be early due to the early start.

I wonder how in earth she'll cope when GCSEs loom.

• Like 1

Fortunately dd's school is only an 8 min walk each way....school starts at 8.40am and finishes at 3.20pm. However, as she's year 11, she is expected to stay after school for Interventions until 4pm; she is also a prefect so extra responsibilities; by the time she comes home, has tea, out for dance classes she's not home until after 9pm most nights (probably like everyone else not at vocational school).  

Older dd is at college so travels an hour or more each way (2 buses). She also has A levels and dance classes in the evenings plus work (she helps teach the debut classes at her part-time theatre school), plus lifeguard training sessions (she's a qualified lifeguard) plus singing lessons and part-time theatre school (they have 2 big performances this year including performing alongside Andy Ford).

Yep, the pressure is immense at the moment - both dd's have 2 auditions this week and then a breather until February :)

• Like 1

Year 11 dcs are under an immese amount of pressure at the moment, whether at vocational school or not. Dd is at vocational school and this year is tough ... what with exams, competitions, controlled assessments, tons of homework and revision, long days and the pressure of upper school auditions. Mocks are now thankfully over. Rightly or wrongly I've told dd that the only thing that really matters over the next couple of months is to focus her mind and energy on auditions ... and to cut our any other distractions, people or otherwise. I will also be staying away from as many auditions as possible so as not to subconsciously or unwittingly add to the pressure ... Apparently dad's company is a much more calming influence where auditions are concerned! Will be glad when it's all over. x

• Like 6

& she got an offer from Millennium :D :D :D :D :D

So she has:

2 'proper' offers, 3 pre-voc/foundation, 2BTEC & a waiting list, 2 rejections (post audition) & 1 refusal pre-audition

No too bad imo!! (did i say :D ?)

edited as I can't spell!

Edited by Katymac
  • Like 16