Preparing for College/Upper School Auditions

Katymac

Yes - it's London Studio Centre (she is at/on their associate scheme) - sorry

She has bounced back after the Christmas holidays pretty well I think

I agree about the foundation/Pre-voc & the numbers......but I think they are quite hard to tie down to numbers

Edited by Katymac

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be able to tell you the destinations of all their students - they will keep records. You don't want to struggle to get your dd there only to discover only a very small percentage went onto full time vocational training. 

About your dd dance teacher thinking she is not ready to move away from home remember they are sometimes swayed by their own experiences (or other pupils). My dd teacher really didn't think my dd would cope and made it quite clear that she thought we were doing wrong thing in allowing her to go to voc school. DD has more than coped, all be it with some ups and downs along the way and looking back we realise teacher was reliving her own dc struggles who unfortunately didn't settle. 

Edited by Jane

I think the fact that your daughter is applying at only 16, goes against her, rather than it being that she doesn't have the potential. From my observations of the path students at our local dance school have taken, the majority get places at 18 , having done a Btech. One or two have gone at 16, but they were very, very strong dancers. I have also heard that employers prefer to employ slightly older dancers and it could be harder to get a job at 19, rather than 21.

• Like 1

I would far rather DD went at 18 - she's only applying at 16 because that seems to be when they want them for classical ballet. I she doesn't get a place, she will concentrate more on her contemporary (possibly modern and tap) and then try again at 18, when I think she'll be more ready to leave home

• Like 3

DD isn't old enough to apply there yet

I think Tutoo2much might be right about age - but there isn't much of a viable alternative near here at 16

We will just have to see how it goes I guess- her teacher is happy for her to try & thinks of what offers she has already the Performers Pre-vocational is the better for DD.  I lean slightly towards Cambridge - but that might be the middle class in me (I quite fancy having a daughter studying at Cambridge, even if it's not the uni ;) )

Who knows what the next few weeks will bring

• Like 1

My dh by the way was at a similar point when he first applied to music college.

He began piano at 14- very late for a pianist & classical voice lessons at 16. He got to Grade 8 by the age of 18 but got no offers for music college

He took a year out which he devoted to private lessons & got a place at a leading music college.

It's now his career.

• Like 11

When they offer the foundation course do they give you any indication of why?  I mean by that that my understanding of foundation course is that it is for students who are not quite ready for the diploma course - across one or more disciplines.  It would probably be useful if you had some indication of if there was a particular aspect your DD needed to tackle - ballet,jazz, singing, drama  as it would help her target her efforts for trying again next year.  But well done to DD for all those offers.  They have obviously seen something in her .

Katymac- what did you think of the Cambridge bodyworks programme? I cycle past everyday but I know nothing about it really- they seem to do their shows in london and the website is not very illuminating! Be interested to hear what it was like when you or dd visited?

Edited by Tulte

Bodyworks was in a lovely building - I think an old factory or coach house or something.  It was beautifully renovated and seemed very well cared for.

I've had dealings with them about courses before and they seem very caring and professional

DD was put off by everyone telling her they weren't as good at Bird/Laine/Urdang/Performers but I think that is more perception that fact

Yes it doesn't seem to have the high profile that the other providers have but then it does have Dada funding so must be comparable in terms of the quality of provision. I'll try and ask around a bit more and try to get to an open day or something as it could be a handy option for my dd if the classical route doesn't work out.

Thanks for info Katymac.  Tulte

I think it definitely is a case of perception as all those on the DADA list are surely of comparable standard - but different schools suit different people - and of course Bodyworks is not in London and for some people that means less worthy of consideration.  I can tell you Tulte that I know of at least 2 girls who chose to go there this year, girls who had been at vocational school since year 7 and 1 of whom definitely had multiple offers for 6th form to choose from.

• Like 1

My dh by the way was at a similar point when he first applied to music college.

He began piano at 14- very late for a pianist & classical voice lessons at 16. He got to Grade 8 by the age of 18 but got no offers for music college

He took a year out which he devoted to private lessons & got a place at a leading music college.

It's now his career.

That`s very interesting. My son`s Aunty in County Mayo was a classical concert pianist for years before re-training as a primary school teacher. All three of her children took piano,violin and cello lessons.The youngest was absolutely passionate about wanting to become a professional violinist.He`s nearly 23 now.Has auditioned for every major music school every year for the last 4 years and has failed to get accepted into any of them every year he has tried.I didn` 

Hate to say, but it's even worse than that. Because it's a private institution, students can only borrow £6,000 AND the fee cap of £9,000 does not apply. In fact the fees are £12,950 - leaving £6,950 to be found for fees before living costs come into play !

I thought it was crap.......now I know it's really crap :(:angry:

And I find people quite often just say "Oh Studios is twelve thousand" and forget to mention the 950 making it more like thirteen!

However at my audition last week, the principal of the school told us that there are scholarships available of up to £3000 out of the remaining £6950 based on household family income, which I did not know. So there is still some hope, although I do not know the details of the thresholds.

• Like 2

Nope Millennium was 3rd Dec but they said they wouldn't hear until Jan & Italia Conti was last Thursday

I rang Millennium today & the admissions Secretary was off sick so........

She is patient.....I am less so I wanna know

Well yes for Foundation/Pre-voc/Pre-Performers Courses would like some standardisation of names really

I fancy Bodyworks, she is undecided between the other 2 - I guess she is waiting, just in case.......she is very young yet & is still hoping as am I which is kind of sad

I have heard lots of good things about the pre voc course at Bird and foundation at performers from people that have done the courses but don't know anything about bodyworks sorry. I really think it's down to her personal choice on which one she chooses as they are all very good colleges. She doesn't have to make a decision just yet does she surely she has few months before she has to make her final decision.

Bird want to know by 27th January; but.......

.....she has an offer from Italia Conti!!!!

So now we are after a DaDA & so it starts again

TBHI am speechless & I had to go and have a lie down after we found out

• Like 16