Preparing for College/Upper School Auditions

Katymac

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am & I'm not

I am glad all the running about and staying away & whatnot is over; but I have a small underlying feeling of "we have forgotten/missed a college/course we should have applied to" - goodness knows why as I am very thorough with my research but I just have that tiny silly feeling of 'unfinishedness' :rolleyes::unsure::wacko::mellow:

Daft aren't I?

edited to add

& you are allowed to laugh at me; I certainly do ;)

Edited by Katymac

We are a small lull but in Feb things start all over again.  Still, I have seen parts of the country I have never visited before!

I know what you mean Katymac...are there colleges/courses we have missed ?

dd now getting added pressure from school about GCSEs. mocks went well. We are pleased.

Also a dancing show coming up with her current dance school so  extra rehearsals etc are looming on the horizon. Need more hours in the day. Or more days in the week please!

That's it - we must have missed somewhere, there must be somewhere we haven't considered yet

Not quite panicky.....but almost

DD is chilled

Mocks went <meh!> really - she's not dramatically academic but she has BTEC Dance, GCSE Music, Geography, Spanish & Science with only GCSE Additional Science, Maths, Eng Lang, Eng Lit & Business & BTEC Drama to go

I'm in a bit of a quandry

My parents told DD today if she didn't get into any of the last three they will pay for her to do the foundation course; which is pretty much what we had decided privately - but they had agreed/suggested that we don't tell her until after the other offers are in.

& I'm all :unsure::wacko: about it as they have gone against what we had discussed.

Plus now it seems 'real' to DD - when before it's been 'possible' or abstract

But they have told the truth and despite being quite peeved with them; they have offered practical help (the fees - so I just need to find the accommodation, travel, living, uniform & everything else I haven't considered yet - but I'm doing a spreadsheet :rolleyes: ) so I can't really be cross

• Like 6

Fantastic news for DD and maybe just what she needed to hear to give her a boost so she can know that she is on the final stretch of her school days.  With my DD it was certainly easier for her to concentrate on her GCSEs when she no longer had the uncertainty of her dancing future hanging over her.

• Like 1

Well she still has 3 results pending; but if they come to nothing it's likely to be the Pre-vocational at Performers

But I need to raise/save some serious money before then & find acceptable (to me) accommodation too. I had set my heart on the Hall of Residence found but it's way to far away

I should be thankful but I think I was going to use it as a bit of a carrot/stick for GCSEs so I'm a bit resentful

Daft? Me? Well probably

I know but there is still a massive discussion about whether Pre-vocational or foundation courses are worth doing or if they are money makers for the colleges.  Also if DD would be better doing a BTEC at the local college (which I do have reservations about)

It's quite a complex situation as if she isn't good enough to get on a level 6 course (never mind a DADA) at 16 is she actually good enough to go?

I'm not being ungrateful I promise - just confused

• Like 1

To be honest I would be asking the same questions as I have my doubts about the pre voc/foundation courses as they take so many onto the course and from what I have read the classes are quite big.

What advice has her dance teacher given her?

She might be lucky with one of the other three is still waiting to hear from.

Has she said what she would like to do?

This years pre-voc is 2 groups each with 20 in

Dance teacher is concerned about her going away & concerned about the local 6th form college's reputation......

DD is hoping for the 3 remaining - but it is unlikely with so many 'not yets' already

I'm glad I'm not being seen as ungrateful to my parents; they just went against what we had discussed and made a decision I wasn't ready to make, which if I say 'no' will make me the bad guy

20 doesn't seem to many I was alway under the impression that the classes were bigger perhaps I am confusing it with the number of students they offer the pre voc course to as I know they offer more than they have places for definite as one college told us that at the open day.

Why is the dance teacher concerned about her going away? Is it because she thinks she is not ready if so that could be your answer give it another year and try again. What are possibilities of DD doing less academic A levels so she can concentrate on her dancing. The good thing about the BTEC course is if she does that she will be able to do the degree course when she finishes which will cost you less money

• Like 2

I think it's just a vague general worry.....you know

The degree would be worse for us as if she gets it (& that's a big if) we'd get the whole DADA

The A-level college is just not suitable tbh at all

This is all supposed to be getting easier not harder :rolleyes:

Because we would have to borrow money (student loan) instead of being given it (DADA); of course if she doesn't get a DADA then it would be OK as an option.  But LSC costs 9000 & we would only be able to borrow 6000 so it has drawbacks

Of course it will all come out in the wash over time & be all sorted

• Like 1

I'm with you in thought Katymac. I wish I had parents who could pay for anything..they both died a few years ago (violins please)but I can understand your turmoil. I think.  DD needs funding. Bottom line.  Btec is preferable to my dd to A levels.  My friend's daughter did the Btec then went on to uni and now teaches dance.  Dd really wants to dance and teach eventually. 

We feel as if we are floating around above reality at the moment. (Drama queen, moi?)

• Like 1

Because we would have to borrow money (student loan) instead of being given it (DADA); of course if she doesn't get a DADA then it would be OK as an option.  But LSC costs 9000 & we would only be able to borrow 6000 so it has drawbacks

Of course it will all come out in the wash over time & be all sorted

Hate to say, but it's even worse than that. Because it's a private institution, students can only borrow £6,000 AND the fee cap of £9,000 does not apply. In fact the fees are £12,950 - leaving £6,950 to be found for fees before living costs come into play !