Preparing for College/Upper School Auditions

Katymac

I've got to ring both colleges and get it sorted

Plus I need to know that latest date I can pay the deposit for Performers pre-voc but the latest date I can pull out without being liable for fees.....which is going to be an interesting conversation

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A huge well done to your DD, Katymac.  I do hope she gets her DADA too so that she can go.  It will be an interesting conversation with Performers but one you obviously need to have if that is her preferred pre-voc back up.  I presume it must be as I presume (again) that the procedure of deposits/fees is the same for the other 2 pre-voc courses.  You certainly do not want to be paying deposits for all of them. now that the pre voc is her back up to the other 2 'proper' offers with the btec her ultimate fall back if others prove unaffordable.

• Like 1

My DD has been offered the pre-voc at performers & we will need to send a deposit......but I don't want to be trapped into paying fees if she gets the DaDA for either of the other colleges

We are in a lovely position of now knowing our worst case scenario (god willing) - which is lovely!!

DD will be off to college in September - we just don't know where yet!!  This is so far away from our issues about BTECs and standards of dance and childcare qualifications and the like it's unbelievable!!!

• Like 5

Dancer2013 - when the changes to DADAs were announced midway through the auditions process last year there was a discussion on the issue of registration fees and what colleges were doing on the DADA thread on the notapushymum forum - that's where I had seen it.  It refers to a document about the new DADAs which states :Registration Fees

Registration fees could act as a barrier to students from low income families.

Previously students who were offered an Award were not charged a registration fee. From 2013/14, as a condition of the DaDA, students who apply for an Award must not be charged a registration fee. Neither should providers charge potential DaDA students to hold a place.

However, recognising that 2013/14 is the first year of the new DaDA arrangements, schools are permitted to use their discretion when determining their registration fees policy for the 2013 intake only – i.e. whether their criteria to ‘not charge’ is for applicants who “apply for” or who are “offered” Awards.

Where a school chooses to charge a registration fee, they must refund any fees paid when a student accepts a DaDA - Obviously this applied to last year's intake

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone - we wouldn't be here without you all.  It's been a bit of a bumpy ride!!

I have some phone calls to make but my deputy is off sick just now so it'll have to wait until things calm down.

I feel vindicated that it was worth doing against advice as even if she doesn't get the DaDA she is so close to being ready

But really thank you all :)

• Like 2

I have been so interested in everyone's applications and progress through auditions that I quite forgot that it is my eldest son's Arts Ed audition next Tuesday!! If he doesn't get a place, it's time to find a job for him so fingers crossed everyone!! :)

• Like 7

I have been so interested in everyone's applications and progress through auditions that I quite forgot that it is my eldest son's Arts Ed audition next Tuesday!! If he doesn't get a place, it's time to find a job for him so fingers crossed everyone!! :)

Heaps of luck for him :)

• Like 2

Thank you all. :) he has worked hard to prepare so hopefully no horrid lurghies will emerge to alter his voice:( fingers crossed.

Thinking of him, Kiwimum - and keeping everything crossed for a successful audition and no lurgies! :-)

I'm sitting here reading everyones posts getting more and more nervous. DD and I are off to the UK tomorrow night for The Hammond on Monday and Ballet West on Tuesday! I am a wreck already luckily DD seems more calm apart from being a little more of a snappy teenager than usual. I have been so happy to read of your DD's success katymac and all the others, I just hope DD has something they are looking for. Luckily I've got plenty of driving to do to take my mind off the auditions and at least its a couple of days off work in the UK, shopping in Chester on Monday, just hoping DD gets through the morning selection so I will have the afternoon too!

Ho hum, is that the sound of my knees knocking together?

• Like 6

Thanks Flit and Float - if I read it right it's for school age scholarships rather than level 6 ones - but if anyone has read it & I've got it wrong....please tell me

Oh Dramascientist, thank you! Watch the parking in Chester - it's extortionate!!  I went to a big shopping park a short drive away as the parking was free (I can't remember where it was).  Lots & lots of luck

Best of luck to your DD and yourself next week dramascientist.  I have a feeling a couple of girls DD knows will be in that Hammond audition on Monday - as they said January but were not there for the last date.  Remind your DD to smile and enjoy her classes and I hope you enjoy your shopping .

Watch the parking in Chester - it's extortionate!!  I went to a big shopping park a short drive away as the parking was free

We used the Park and Ride at the Zoo, I think we paid a small amount for the bus into the city centre but nothing like the cost to park in Chester

• Like 1

Park and Ride is definitely better than driving into the city centre.  It was just for the 6th form audition that I wanted to be able to get back really quickly if DD was cut at lunchtime - bad enough the disappointment of not getting through to the afternoon than to have to stand there with the appointed member of staff until parents got back.