Royal Ballet - 2013/14 booking period 1 - casting

Don Quixote

Nunez/Acosta:  September 30, October 11, 16, 26

Marquez/Campbell:  October 5 (matinee), 15

Cojocaru/McRae:  October 5 (evening), 8, 18, 22

Lamb/Bonelli:  October 6 (matinee), November 2 (evening), 6

Kaneko/Soares:  October 25, November 2 (matinee)

Romeo and Juliet

Cuthbertson/Bonelli:  October 19, 23

Cojocaru/McRae:  October 22, November 14

Hamilton/Watson:  October 30, November 16 (matinee)

Lamb/Pennefather:  November 16 (evening), 26 (evening)

tbc/Acosta:  November 21, December 7

Nunez/Soares:  November 22, 28

Marquez/Kish:  November 26 (matinee), December 3

Chroma/David Dawson/Rite of Spring

Hamilton, Choe, Lamb, Cuthbertson, Watson, McRae, Bonelli, Ondiviela, Underwood, Trzensimiech / tbc / Yanowsky:  November 9, 19, 23 (evening)

Cowley, Takada, Stix-Brunell, Morera, Maloney, Kay, Cervera, Dyer, Stepanek, Montano / tbc / Dean:  November 13, 20, 23 (matinee)

Nutcracker

Morera/Bonelli/Avis/Maguire/Campbell:  December 4, 12

Cuthbertson/Stearns/Saunders/Loots/Cervera:  December 6

Lamb/Pennefather/Gartside/Hayward/Hay:  December 9, 14 (matinee)

Cuthbertson/Stearns/Marriott/Loots/Cervera:  December 10

Marquez/McRae/Saunders/Loots/Cervera:  December 14 (evening)

Kobayashi/Hristov/Marriott/Harrod/Zucchetti:  December 20 (matinee)

Marquez/McRae/Gartside/Loots/Cervera: December 20 (evening)

Nunez/Soares/Avis/Hinkis/Dyer:  December 23 (matinee), January 2 (evening)

Cojocaru/Kobborg/Saunders/Hinkis/Dyer:  December 24 (matinee)

Hamilton/Trzensimiech/Gartside/Harrod/Zucchetti:  December 27 (matinee)

Osipova/Bonelli/Avis/Maguire/Campbell:  December 27 (evening), January 4 (matinee)

Kobayashi/Hristov/Gartside/Harrod/Zucchetti: December 31 (matinee)

Cojocaru/Kobborg/Saunders/Cope/Kay: December 31 (evening)

Takada/Campbell/Marriott/Westcombe/Ondiviela:  January 2 (matinee), 10

Kaneko/Kish/Saunders/Hayward/Hay:  January 8, 11

Choe/Hirano/Marriott/Cope/Kay:  January 13, 16

Hamilton/Trzensimiech/Gartside/Westcombe/Ondiviela:  January 15

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome, alison.

I think that's right re Cory.  Just a one off guest appearance in exchange for Steven.  Hopefully this may be the start of a regular exchange.  I heard from New Yorkers that Cory was very excited about this.  I do wish the company were using him (and Osipova) for something more interesting (and with a bit more dancing for the principals) than Nutcracker.  Perhaps there were time constraints that meant he couldn't be here long enough to work on a more substantial role.

Pity there are no new company Juliets.

Absolutely agree. Seeing new portrayals by interesting young artistes is what makes ballet-going so interesting. One doesn't want to take anything away from some established stars but the Royal Ballet has many potential Juliets in its ranks whom one has already waited almost too long to see.

• Like 1

I have the same feeling Tony.  Such a shame, I would have loved to see one or two of the upcoming younger dancers having a go at this role. We'll get to see younger ones like Hinkis and Hayward again as Clara, Kaneko as Kitri, Dean in Rite of Spring, Stix-Brunell in Chroma but I'd looked forward to seeing a debut (or two) of a few other young dancers too.

No Nutcracker for me next Season nor R&J however much I love this ballet (unless a new Juliet like Leanne Cope/Yasmine Naghdi/,... , were given an opportunity). It'll be one ticket only for me: 1st cast Chroma/

I have seen so many RB ballets, seen all of the Principals in various roles as well as the longtime 1st Soloists/Soloists. It's the upcoming ones who now get me to Covent Garden, and I am not the only one.

This is puzzling,because according to Cory Stearns himself he was coming to dance Romeo. Added to which, on a facebook posting by Lauren Cuthbertson, he commented;"My Juliet"

It seems hardly worthwhile coming all the way from America for a 10 minute Sugar Plum pas de deux.

I too am surprised and distressed by the lack of new Juliets.

• Like 1

This is puzzling,because according to Cory Stearns himself he was coming to dance Romeo. Added to which, on a facebook posting by Lauren Cuthbertson, he commented;"My Juliet" It seems hardly worthwhile coming all the way from America for a 10 minute Sugar Plum pas de deux. I too am surprised and distressed by the lack of new Juliets.

The new season press release said Stearns was making his RB debut in Nutcracker. Perhaps there's another reason he refers to Cuthbertson as his Juliet...

I'm quite happy with the castings. While I can understand serious ballet fans might be fed up with seeing the same people, and admittedly it would be nice to see some new Juliets, most people don't get to go to the ballet that often, and when they do, it's nice to see the well known principals performing the classic roles. I'm one of those people, and the RB has to cater to us too.

• Like 3

I'm quite happy with the castings. While I can understand serious ballet fans might be fed up with seeing the same people, and admittedly it would be nice to see some new Juliets, most people don't get to go to the ballet that often, and when they do, it's nice to see the well known principals performing the classic roles. I'm one of those people, and the RB has to cater to us too.

You have a point too Chrischris. True, the RB has to cater too for those people who don't/can't go that often and those who only come to see the established Principals. 

• Like 1

The latest ROH magazine (previously called About the House) includes an article entitled Carlos Does Quixote. The following extract seems to merit quoting here:

And to the dancers, here's a bit of advice. Acosta is expecting you to push yourselves like never before..............(reference to Bolshoi productions)......."This ballet requires a different kind of dancing and I want my casts to perform outside their comfort zone and exceed their own expectations".

• Like 2

"True, the RB has to cater too for those people who don't/can't go that often and those who only come to see the established Principals. "

Not sure about this as there are some established principals who have never been given a crack at Juliet and who IMHO would give quite a performance. For me the cating of R&J is disappointing and I fully expect to be disappointed by the casting of Giselle when that comes around too...it'll be a bit of the same old thing....

• Like 1

"True, the RB has to cater too for those people who don't/can't go that often and those who only come to see the established Principals. "

Not sure about this as there are some established principals who have never been given a crack at Juliet and who IMHO would give quite a performance. For me the cating of R&J is disappointing and I fully expect to be disappointed by the casting of Giselle when that comes around too...it'll be a bit of the same old thing....

Laura Morera springs to mind regarding Juliet.  She was so good as Manon, which I think she has only had the opportunity to dance once or twice(?).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes ...Laura is often overlooked and very much underrated . She was great with Eric Underwood in Chroma as well...Will they be dancing that together this season? I bet you not...

I won't dare to speculate as I've had ballet training and been amongst many dancers but have never run a company so don't know what all there is to consider...I think Laura is a dancer's dancer...dancers love her....

Yes ...Laura is often overlooked and very much underrated . She was great with Eric Underwood in Chroma as well...Will they be dancing that together this season? I bet you not...

I won't dare to speculate as I've had ballet training and been amongst many dancers but have never run a company so don't know what all there is to consider...I think Laura is a dancer's dancer...dancers love her....

I'm a podgy deffo non-dancer, lumpen photographer, but I love her too!  :-)

(despite her being really hard to photograph, as she moves so quickly)

Edited by zxDaveM
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Bearing in mind upcoming booking days, I am advised by the ROH Box Office and the Friends Office that the performance of the Nutcracker on Saturday 14th December MATINEE will not be available for general booking. I am told it is an Education-only event now. A far as I can see, this has not been announced elsewhere by the ROH.

Bearing in mind upcoming booking days, I am advised by the ROH Box Office and the Friends Office that the performance of the Nutcracker on Saturday 14th December MATINEE will not be available for general booking. I am told it is an Education-only event now. A far as I can see, this has not been announced elsewhere by the ROH.

Confirmed to me when I tried to book it this morning.

Thank you for mentioning this - I had been planning to book for this performance to bring my grandchildren for their first visit to the ballet, but I have now booked for the ENB on that day instead. The early warning meant that I was able to get good seats!

Jacky

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed it hasn't been mentioned here: the Nutcracker dates involving Cojocaru and Kobborg (Dec 24 mat, Dec 31 eve) have been recast with other pairs from the run - Lamb/Pennefather and Osipova/Bonelli.

Still no news for Alina's dates in Don Q and R&J. Perhaps we might get Osipova in Don Q after all? Would be exciting to see her with McRae...

I noticed it hasn't been mentioned here: the Nutcracker dates involving Cojocaru and Kobborg (Dec 24 mat, Dec 31 eve) have been recast with other pairs from the run - Lamb/Pennefather and Osipova/Bonelli.

Still no news for Alina's dates in Don Q and R&J. Perhaps we might get Osipova in Don Q after all? Would be exciting to see her with McRae...

I've booked hoping to see Osipova in Don Q, or perhaps Yuhui Choe or Akane Takada, hope they don't change Steven McRae! BTW this morning I couldn't book any amphi tickets for him on 18th October, only slips, must be one of those student nights.

• 2 months later...