Northern Ballet - Romeo and Juliet (Gable/Moricone) - on tour

Northern Ballet's Spring Tour of Romeo and Juliet (Gable/Moricone) opens next Friday (8th March) in Leeds before going on tour.  It is my favourite production of R&J and I can't wait to see it again.

Although casting hasn't been announced Northern Ballet has been teasing who the casts are (although, of course, not when they are dancing) on social media:

Joseph Taylor/Abigail Prudames

Joseph Taylor/Dominique Larose

Jonathan Hanks/Amber Lewis

Kevin Poeung/Sarah Chun

Harris Beattie/Saeka Shirai

Gosh, Joseph is going to be busy!  All the casts look enticing to me and I hope to see them all during the tour.

Please use this thread for performance comments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I will book for their run at Sadlers Wells in June. Very kindly as I gave a donation they have invited me to watch class when there are in London.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

@Jan McNulty knowing NB as you do, is there an obvious 'number 1' cast amongst those pairs? (I can only attend once while NB are in London)

I suppose the company consider their first night cast their official number 1, but I have number one recommendations in pretty much every pairing! Also a couple of dancers who aren't even in the social media list, although they could be covering the roles as understudies. Hoping to catch a few casts - it will be a very Shakespearean week with The Winter's Tale in the same week at ROH as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was deeply amazing.  I must say I've not enjoyed myself so much in a long time.  I think this is a wonderful production, beautiful sets, amazing costumes and really talented dancing.  Also I met people from the forum which was so nice.  

We had Prince Edward and Sophie in the audience and people sung happy birthday to him at the end.  More excitingly (in my view) Mthuthuzeli November was there and I met him in an interval!!!  He was so nice and let me gush about how amazing his Nina piece for BB was and how much I was looking forward to his piece for NB this autumn. He's such a nice chap and has really lovely eyes.  I think I've a new ballet crush!

Anyway, back to the ballet.  It was a lovely evening.  The Italian ruin inspired set was really good.  The costumes were fabulous, I loved the Capulet dresses and the men's outfits.  Dominique Larose was a beautiful Juliet, some really lovely extensions and beautiful feet.  Joseph Taylor was a charismatic elegant Romeo and you could see why she liked him.  Harris Beattie absolutely stole the show as Mercutio.  His jumps were phenomenal and his landings so light.  He's a beautiful dancer to watch.  I also really loved Heather Lehan as the Nurse.  She was so funny and really made the character real and funny.  The scene where she was trying to get a letter to Romeo was a lovely light relief.  Everyone was brilliant, absolutely everyone.  

It was brilliant and moving and inspiring and I think one of the best ballets I've seen in a long time.  I would definitely recommend it.  

Edited by Tango Dancer
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

It was Aaron Kok as Mercutio.

What an overwhelmingly emotional evening for so many long-standing supporters of NB who have been desperate for this production to come back into the rep.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

It was Aaron Kok as Mercutio.

What an overwhelmingly emotional evening for so many long-standing supporters of NB who have been desperate for this production to come back into the rep.

Thanks for the casting information, I must have been looking at the wrong day on the website. He was definitely amazing though!

• Like 1

I believe Harris Beattie was meant to be performing yesterday and tonight as Mercutio, however has been ill. He hopefully will be performing his debut as Romeo on Tuesday next week. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, EveM said:

I believe Harris Beattie was meant to be performing yesterday and tonight as Mercutio, however has been ill. He hopefully will be performing his debut as Romeo on Tuesday next week. Fingers crossed. 

Yes, he impressed me in the lovely programme NB brought to the Linbury. 

• Like 2

Long-time followers have been waiting and hoping for a revival of this magnificent production of Romeo and Juliet devised and produced by Christopher Gable and choreographed by Massimo Moricone and first performed in Bath in 1991.  I was talking to someone who was there in the premiere week and I and other friends saw it in Blackpool in its second week.

This production proved to be a landmark for Northern Ballet where Christopher Gable laid out his stall for the way he wanted to take the company the company and the company still follows his dream to this day as carried forward and expanded by Stefano Giannetti, David Nixon and now Federico Bonnelli.

I don't know how many performances I saw over the years before the production was rested but from the first performance I saw on a Saturday afternoon in Blackpool (24th February 1991) I have never failed to be moved and I have seen so many memorable performances.  It is my favourite production of Romeo and Juliet.  When I saw the season announcement I was ridiculously over-excited as were most of my NB-watching friends.  As the months past and the opening day was approaching I was so excited but somehow nervous that, with this production meaning so much to me, I may be disappointed in the revival.

So Friday evening came and went entered the Grand in Leeds in a state of high excitement!  I was fortunate to have been invited to the drinks reception before hand and was very star-struck by the presence of Mthuthuzeli November.  It was so lovely to chat to him for a few minutes.

At the reception Federico Bonelli gave a short but beautiful speech about what this production meant to him and about how Christopher had envisioned it.

It was also lovely to bump into both Jayne Regan Pink and Viki Westall-Eyre in the interval.  What a trip down memory lane.

Then we were in the auditorium, the lights went down and the overture started.  When the curtain rose I've got to admit to being a bit overwhelmed and tears started making their way down my cheeks - that is how much the revival of this landmark production means.

The set has been magnificently realised (after having been destroyed by floods some years ago.  Lez Brotherston's set is absolutely genius - aged Roman-looking pillars which can be moved to represent different locations with the words Amor Vincit Omia on the movable wall at the back.  The costumes looked absolutely glorious with the Capulet men's black leather tops and the ladies in black and red particularly spectacular.  Christopher explained at the time that he believed that audience concentration reduces after 35 to 40 minutes so the acts are kept shortish and simple.  There is no padding in this production and it flows along beautifully.  The fighting scenes are exciting to watch, the friendship between Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio is beautifully judged and the relationships Juliet has with her parents, Paris and Romeo are meaningful and insightful.  The whole production flows organically.  Am I waxing over-lyrically - you bet I am!!!

Opening night honours were given to the sublime Dominique Larose and Joseph Taylor.  Joseph was full of joy at the start as a young man about town with his mates and enjoying taunting Tybalt and his Capulet henchmen.  Goodness me, Harry Skoupas was outstanding as a mean and moody Tybalt.  The fighting comes to an end when the Duke of Verona arrives and the body of a young girl killed during the fighting was found.  As the crowd disperses Mercutio (a spectacular and virtuosic performance by Aaron Kok - WOW!!) and Benvolio (a joyful and nuanced performance from Stefano Varalta (who is actually from Verona!)) try to persuade Romeo to crash the Capulet ball.

IMG_2748.thumb.jpeg.2846378d7d6dee4cded2fcc8da12c92d.jpeg

In the second scene Juliet is very excited to be going to her first "grown up" ball and is being very animated with her Nurse.  I felt as though I really was watching Juliet so subsumed was Dominique into the role.  Heather Lehan was a warm, comforting and joyful nurse so pleased for Juliet.  (Fortunately there is no child's doll in this production - it's all about a young girl coming of age.). Her mother arrives with Paris and Juliet is captivated by him when Lady Capulet (an outstanding performance from Abigail Prudames) tells her they are due to be married.  Jackson Dwyer was an elegant and caring Paris who is obviously hurt by Juliet's subsequent rejection of him.

IMG_2750.thumb.jpeg.6eff4884b8733cbc442b11c7b9e3d168.jpeg

The Capulets are very martial in the ballroom scene, showing off their power very effectively.  The 3 lads arrive and are trying to chat up the ladies when Juliet and her friends arrive.  There's so much to watch in the ballroom scene that you could actually miss Romeo and Juliet meeting!  Fortunately when they are interacting the scene behind them is frozen.  Their short duets are gentle and loving in this scene.  Mercutio and Benvolio have seen what has happened and they distract Tybalt.  Aaron was outstanding!

Then to the balcony duet ... it was so beautiful I had a bad attack of hay fever and shivers were running up and down my spine.  It is innocent, lyrical, sensual and passionate.

In act 2 the opening scene is festive with the Montagus in bright costumes dancing and having fun.  There's a wonderful but ribald scene where the nurse arrives to give Romeo the letter from Juliet.  When he eventually reads it he is so overjoyed and rushes off to meet Juliet and get married.  Then it's back to the festivities.  Tybalt and his henchmen and their ladies arrive and the trouble starts brewing during the "cat dance" - the Capulet motif is feline.  Romeo has arrived back and is being teased as he is acting all goofy and in love.  He tries to calm things down but as the tension rises and Mercutio intervenes there are fatal consequences as he is stabbed.  Cue the very dramatic fight between Romeo and Tybalt ending with Tybalt's death.  Abigail Prudames was splendidly grief-stricken as Lady C and the act ends on a VERY dramatic note.

Act 3 opens with the final duet - so full of emotion and despair.  Dominique and Joe were just breathtaking together (cue another hay fever attack).  Juliet's rejection and ultimate acceptance of Paris was heartbreaking and then it was just an emotionally draining conclusion.  I could hear people sobbing around me and I was definitely joining in!!

Of course there was a standing ovation - very well deserved.

After the main curtain calls the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh came onstage to applaud the company.  While he couldn't be "political" the Duke made a heartfelt speech about the company and particularly mentioned the orchestra.  It looked as though he and the Duchess had enjoyed the performance.

WHAT A NIGHT!!!

We had to do it all over again on Saturday!!

I will admit to a total bias here - I have adored watching Kevin Poeung dance since we saw him performing as a student with the company so Saturday afternoon was a dream come true for me.  Kevin more than lived up to my hopes as Romeo with his virtuoso dancing and utterly believable performance as Romeo.  I was totally bowled over!  His Juliet was Sarah Chun and she was just divine.  Archie Sherman was superb as Benvolio and that man Aaron Kok gave another outstanding performance as Mercutio.  Antoni Cañellas Artigues was a wonderfully thuggish Tybalt and Helen Bogatch was superb as a loving nurse.  George Liang as Paris was so loving, courteous and gentle that it would have been understandable if Juliet hadn't even noticed Romeo! After many attacks of hay fever I came out of the theatre on an enormous high.

IMG_2729.thumb.jpeg.7f4730621197be2eaa8de443b21b2d79.jpeg

IMG_2739.thumb.jpeg.f30b813934d71ad9851e70b41581b570.jpeg

On Saturday evening the Friday evening cast, already outstanding, upped their game even further and at times I was trying to cope with both hay fever attacks and forgetting to breathe!

To sum up, this year sees my 40th anniversary as a ballet-watcher and this past weekend has been so uplifting and emotional that I think I can count it as my best weekend of ballet-watching ever.  To be able to watch it in the company of good friends was the icing on the cake.

Thank you Northern Ballet.

PS - the campaign to save Northern Ballet's orchestra goes on.

IMG_2723.thumb.jpeg.e510a3a7417090d915277b8b07fb292b.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

What a great review/report Janet, thank you. R&J music makes me always sob, as soon as I hear the first notes. So I can relate to the shivers you mentioned. Glad you enjoyed the performances so much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Long-time followers have been waiting and hoping for a revival of this magnificent production of Romeo and Juliet devised and produced by Christopher Gable and choreographed by Massimo Moricone and first performed in Bath in 1991.  I was talking to someone who was there in the premiere week and I and other friends saw it in Blackpool in its second week.

This production proved to be a landmark for Northern Ballet where Christopher Gable laid out his stall for the way he wanted to take the company the company and the company still follows his dream to this day as carried forward and expanded by Stefano Giannetti, David Nixon and now Federico Bonnelli.

I don't know how many performances I saw over the years before the production was rested but from the first performance I saw on a Saturday afternoon in Blackpool (24th February 1991) I have never failed to be moved and I have seen so many memorable performances.  It is my favourite production of Romeo and Juliet.  When I saw the season announcement I was ridiculously over-excited as were most of my NB-watching friends.  As the months past and the opening day was approaching I was so excited but somehow nervous that, with this production meaning so much to me, I may be disappointed in the revival.

So Friday evening came and went entered the Grand in Leeds in a state of high excitement!  I was fortunate to have been invited to the drinks reception before hand and was very star-struck by the presence of Mthuthuzeli November.  It was so lovely to chat to him for a few minutes.

At the reception Federico Bonelli gave a short but beautiful speech about what this production meant to him and about how Christopher had envisioned the production.

It was also lovely to bump into both Jayne Regan Pink and Viki Westall-Eyre in the interval.  What a trip down memory lane.

Then we were in the auditorium, the lights went down and the overture started.  When the curtain rose I've got to admit to being a bit overwhelmed and tears started making their way down my cheeks - that is how much the revival of this landmark production means.

The set has been magnificently realised (after having been destroyed by floods some years ago.  Lez Brotherston's set is absolutely genius - aged Roman-looking pillars which can be moved to represent different locations with the words Amor Vincit Omia on the movable wall at the back.  The costumes looked absolutely glorious with the Capulet men's black leather tops and the ladies in black and red particularly spectacular.  Christopher explained at the time that he believed that audience concentration reduces after 35 to 40 minutes so the acts are kept shortish and simple.  There is no padding in this production and it flows along beautifully.  The fighting scenes are exciting to watch, the friendship between Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio is beautifully judged and the relationships Juliet has with her parents, Paris and Romeo are meaningful and insightful.  The whole production flows organically.  Am I waxing over-lyrically - you bet I am!!!

Opening night honours were given to the sublime Dominique Larose and Joseph Taylor.  Joseph was full of joy at the start as a young man about town with his mates and enjoying taunting Tybalt and his Capulet henchmen.  Goodness me, Harry Skoupas was outstanding as a mean and moody Tybalt.  The fighting comes to an end when the Duke of Verona arrives and the body of a young girl killed during the fighting was found.  As the crowd disperses Mercutio (a spectacular and virtuosic performance by Aaron Kok - WOW!!) and Benvolio (a joyful and nuanced performance from Stefano Varalta (who is actually from Verona!)) try to persuade Romeo to crash the Capulet ball.

IMG_2748.thumb.jpeg.2846378d7d6dee4cded2fcc8da12c92d.jpeg

In the second scene Juliet is very excited to be going to her first "grown up" ball and is being very animated with her Nurse.  I felt as though I really was watching Juliet so subsumed was Dominique into the role.  Heather Lehan was a warm, comforting and joyful nurse so pleased for Juliet.  (Fortunately there is no child's doll in this production - it's all about a young girl coming of age.). Her mother arrives with Paris and Juliet is captivated by him when Lady Capulet (an outstanding performance from Abigail Prudames) tells her they are due to be married.  Jackson Dwyer was an elegant and caring Paris who is obviously hurt by Juliet's subsequent rejection of him.

The Capulets are very martial in the ballroom scene, showing off their power very effectively.  The 3 lads arrive and are trying to chat up the ladies when Juliet and her friends arrive.  There's so much to watch in the ballroom scene that you could actually miss Romeo and Juliet meeting!  Fortunately when they are interacting the scene behind them is frozen.  Their short duets are gentle and loving in this scene.  Mercutio and Benvolio have seen what has happened and they distract Tybalt.  Aaron was outstanding!

Then to the balcony duet ... it was so beautiful I had a bad attack of hay fever and shivers were running up and down my spine.  It is innocent, lyrical, sensual and passionate.

In act 2 the opening scene is festive with the Montagus in bright costumes dancing and having fun.  There's a wonderful but ribald scene where the nurse arrives to give Romeo the letter from Juliet.  When he eventually reads it he is so overjoyed and rushes off to meet Juliet and get married.  Then it's back to the festivities.  Tybalt and his henchmen and their ladies arrive and the trouble starts brewing during the "cat dance" - the Capulet motif is feline.  Romeo has arrived back and is being teased as he is acting all goofy and in love.  He tries to calm things down but as the tension rises and Mercutio intervenes there are fatal consequences as he is stabbed.  Cue the very dramatic fight between Romeo and Tybalt ending with Tybalt's death.  Abigail Prudames was splendidly grief-stricken as Lady C and the act ends on a VERY dramatic note.

Act 3 opens with the final duet - so full of emotion and despair.  Dominique and Joe were just breathtaking together (cue another hay fever attack).  Juliet's rejection and ultimate acceptance of Paris was heartbreaking and then it was just an emotionally draining conclusion.  I could hear people sobbing around me and I was definitely joining in!!

Of course there was a standing ovation - very well deserved.

After the main curtain calls the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh came onstage to applaud the company.  While he couldn't be "political" the Duke made a heartfelt speech about the company and particularly mentioned the orchestra.  It looked as though he and the Duchess looked as though they had obviously enjoyed the performance.

WHAT A NIGHT!!!

We had to do it all over again on Saturday!!

I will admit to a total bias here - I have adored watching Kevin Poeung dance since we saw him performing as a student with the company so Saturday afternoon was a dream come true for me.  Kevin more than lived up to my hopes as Romeo with his virtuoso dancing and utterly believable performance as Romeo.  I was totally bowled over!  His Juliet was Sarah Chun and she was just divine.  Archie Sherman was superb as Benvolio and that man Aaron Kok gave another outstanding performance as Mercutio.  Antoni Cañellas Artigues was a wonderfully thuggish Tybalt and Helen Bogatch was superb as a loving nurse.  George Liang as Paris was so loving, courteous and gentle that it would have been understandable if Juliet hadn't even noticed Romeo! After many attacks of hay fever I came out of the theatre on an enormous high.

IMG_2729.thumb.jpeg.7f4730621197be2eaa8de443b21b2d79.jpeg

IMG_2739.thumb.jpeg.f30b813934d71ad9851e70b41581b570.jpeg

On Saturday evening the Friday evening cast, already outstanding, upped their game even further and at times I was trying to cope with both hay fever attacks and forgetting to breathe!

To sum up, this year sees my 40th anniversary as a ballet-watcher and this past weekend has been so uplifting and emotional that I think I can count it as my best weekend of ballet-watching ever.  To be able to watch it in the company of good friends was the icing on the cake.

Thank you Northern Ballet.

PS - the campaign to save Northern Ballet's orchestra goes on.

IMG_2723.thumb.jpeg.e510a3a7417090d915277b8b07fb292b.jpeg

Thanks for the terrific review (and pictures). Will you be seeing any of the other casts?

Looking forward to seeing this in London late May.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today's Times has a big photo by Eliot Franks on page 4 of the news section - captioned Alpha Romeos, it shows, and names, Stefano Varalta, Joseph Taylor and Aaron Kok, and says the production is touring England until June 1.

Nice!

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCL said:

After reading Jan’s review and the Guardian review I think I will be booking for Sadlers Wells! 

I'd definitely recommend it.  It's really good and Northern have some fantastic talent performing it.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, alison said:

I was just wondering the same.  How'm I supposed to know what date to book to make sure I don't get the same cast twice?

Casting was announced about a week in advance but (as recently with BRB) was changing by the day.  I believe there have been some bugs flying around and there may be a couple of injuries.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

I was just wondering the same.  How'm I supposed to know what date to book to make sure I don't get the same cast twice?

If you book two consecutive performances it’s less likely that you will get the same cast. 

A double show day is highly likely to have different lead dancers in the matinee and evening shows (I say "is highly likely to" and "not will definitely" because Viviana Durante once did exactly that- 2 Manons in one day!)

But having  booked the first night means you have to wait in case the evening (or sometimes matinee) cast is the first night cast - whether it's the Thursday or the  Saturday shows. 

If you've already booked the first night, the second night cast is highly likely to be  different to the first night cast.

On 09/03/2024 at 01:03, Tango Dancer said:

Thanks for the casting information, I must have been looking at the wrong day on the website. He was definitely amazing though!

Aaron Kok wasn't in the cast when I saw the company in Generations at ROH (he might have danced at a performance I didn't attend). What is interesting, @Tango Dancer, is that your assessment (according to various critics and the NB performances I've seen) can equally apply to both Aaron and Harris! I will definitely be booking more performances for more casts but like others here would have to wait for casting so that I don't miss out on seeing Poeung and Kok again. 

• Like 1