Northern Ballet - Romeo and Juliet (Gable/Moricone) - on tour

34 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Aaron Kok wasn't in the cast when I saw the company in Generations at ROH (he might have danced at a performance I didn't attend). What is interesting, @Tango Dancer, is that your assessment (according to various critics and the NB performances I've seen) can equally apply to both Aaron and Harris! I will definitely be booking more performances for more casts but like others here would have to wait for casting so that I don't miss out on seeing Poeung and Kok again. 

I think Harris was on the original cast as Mercutio but then it was changed to Aaron when Harris had an injury and I didn't pick up on this and just went with the name I had written down and didn't check.  

I'd agree Aaron was amazing in the performance.  He was so beautifully light in the jumps and landings which is a lovely thing to watch and really made me sad when Mercutio died, because he made Mercutio come across as such a fun character, the sort of person you want to be around.   

I'm sure Harris would also be amazing because I've seen him in other things (I think he was in Nutcracker) and he's a lovely dancer.  So whoever you see will be great.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

I think Harris was on the original cast as Mercutio but then it was changed to Aaron when Harris had an injury and I didn't pick up on this and just went with the name I had written down and didn't check.  

I'd agree Aaron was amazing in the performance.  He was so beautifully light in the jumps and landings which is a lovely thing to watch and really made me sad when Mercutio died, because he made Mercutio come across as such a fun character, the sort of person you want to be around.   

I'm sure Harris would also be amazing because I've seen him in other things (I think he was in Nutcracker) and he's a lovely dancer.  So whoever you see will be great.  

We had Harris Beattie in Tiler Peck's creation for Northern Ballet called Intimate Pages and in Benjamin Ella's ballet called Joie de Vivre, and he was incredible, @Tango Dancer! I couldn't believe he was still so young and not yet a premier dancer (their equivalent of principal) in the company. He's going to go far! But they do have oodles of talent in the ranks. I'm hoping to catch both him and Aaron. Can't wait  😀.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sim said:

I have booked for the first night.  

So have I.  And the last one on Saturday evening.  Just because those dates worked best for me at the time of booking

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I caught the matinee performance at the Sheffield Lyceum yesterday.

I could not have asked for a better cast.  Sarah Chun was Juliet, Jonathan Hanks was Romeo, Abigail Prudames was Lady Capulet, Joseph Taylor was Tybalt , Harriet Marden was the nurse and Jun Ishi was Mercutio.   

Although I am a great fan of Jean-Christophe Maillot and hope Northern Ballet keep his version of Romeo and Juliet in the repertoire it was a pleasure to see the Moricone/Gable ballet again.  Some of my favourite works were created when Christopher Gable was Artistic Director.   I look forward to "A Christmas Carol" later in the year.

I have written a long review in my blog if anybody is interested.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

In Sheffield last for R&J.

I had forgotten just how great this production is.  I always found MacMillan's a bit too long, actually I only really enjoy the pdd's.  But that's so not the case with this production it's all so exciting and engaging. Sitting either side of me were people who had never been to the ballet before and they were in a trance, completely caught up in the experience. 

Romeo last night was Harris Beattie  - and wow he was just fantastic! Not just his technical ability which was more than impressive, but his actual portrayal of a young man in love for the first time. He was believable & amazing and without a doubt a star in the making.

An unforgettable night.

Congratulation to the whole production team at NB for bringing back this wonderful ballet. Christopher Gable would be very happy and proud I'm sure.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Really looking forward to this in late May after reading all these reviews.  😀

Me too! Really looking forward to seeing a version post MacMillan and excited that people find it even more engaging.

• Like 1

I was in Sheffield for the weekend and what a weekend it was!

On Friday evening I got to see one of the other casts - Harris Beattie and Saeka Shirai - and they were glorious and oh so very young.  They gave such beautifully nuanced performances and they were utterly believable and utterly heartbreaking.  Dominique Larose was just glorious as the nurse.  She must be one of the best dance-actresses in the country.  Kevin Poeung was fantastic as Mercutio and Filippo di Vilio was a fun loving Benvolio till tragedy struck.  George Liang was superbly angry as Tybalt.  The whole cast was invested in this tremendous performance.

Saturday evening's treat was Kevin Poeung and Sarah Chun - even better than they had been in Leeds.  The cast was basically the same as I had seen in Leeds and they were all wonderful.  The trouble is that I am now running out of superlatives but suffice to say that the evening (and weekend) ended on a high!

Saturday afternoon's cast was led by Joseph Taylor and Dominique Larose (yes - after she played the nurse on Friday evening!  Joe and many of the other dancers are also playing multiple roles in different performances.  I was talking to Helen Bogatch in Leeds and she said she was dancing every female role except Juliet!).  Harris Beattie was a wonderful, fun loving Mercutio.  His joyfulness made his death even harder to watch. Filippo again excelled as Benvolio.

What can I say about this performance - well I think it is the BEST performance of this production I have ever seen.  I was totally overwhelmed.  Dominique and Joe WERE Juliet and Romeo.  The whole cast rose to the occasion and this is one of those performances where there is magic dust in the air.  I was totally overwhelmed by the end and trying very hard not to sob out loud.  Thank you to the whole cast for this special performance.  We were truly privileged to be in the audience on Saturday afternoon.

IMG_3280.thumb.PNG.de10477af0fb7ad0affd31df753b8e26.PNG

IMG_3293.thumb.PNG.fa8f373f3de1163afabcb832862b1c06.PNGIMG_3294.thumb.PNG.7495a9651de4c9c5c59766c4c6bef57e.PNG

IMG_3295.thumb.PNG.cfc7e8ad291ba6628519a69807424d7d.PNGIMG_3296.thumb.PNG.ba26f66376870002b2148e5d777b5e1e.PNG

You can now only get cast sheets on line by looking at the website or using the QR code in the theatre that takes you to the website.  I don't think the company has got it quite right yet...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This ballet is my favorite and I have high expectations especially OF COURSE because it makes you sob when the magic really happens. From your enthusiastic reports I see that the cast did just that. How wonderful that you got to have this experience. ❤️

• Like 3