What dance are you looking forward to in 2024 ?

Lots of things out there sound very tempting, especially the Ashton bills in June. There is a mad pile up of events in London in the last two weeks of March which includes a number of things that are of interest to me - Mark Bruce's Frankenstein with Jonathan Goddard, Phoenix Dance Co (Requiem), the Macmillan triple bill, Kidd Pivot, York Dance co. 

Very much looking forward to ENB in the Skeaping Giselle soon. 

What are you looking forward to ? 

• Like 5

ENB's Giselle (Skeaping)

Cojocaru/Kobborg dancing together again in La Strada

NYCB dancers' visit

Sarasota Ballet's visit

State Ballet of Georgia's visit

Naghdi/Bracewell's debuts in Manon

Fumi/Vadim in Manon

MacMillan Triple Bill (RB)

Ashton Bill (RB)

Hopefully a trip to Zurich to see Zurich Ballet.

That's about as far as I can get as I don't know what's coming on in autumn/winter of 2024.

• Like 9

I'm ridiculously over-excited about Northern Ballet's revival of the Gable/Morricone Romeo and Juliet.  It is my favourite production of R&J.

I know I will enjoy BRB's performances of SPW's Sleeping Beauty.  I adore the opulence of this production.

I can't wait to see Aakash Odedra's Mehek when it gets to The Lowry in April.

• Like 8

My list is almost identical to Sim's, just omitting the State Ballet of Georgia's Swan Lake, I don't know if I can sit through yet another SW, especially at the Coliseum. Also I have booked the Kaneko/Muntagirov Manon but not as yet the Naghdi/Bracewell one, though I probably will. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

My list is almost identical to Sim's, just omitting the State Ballet of Georgia's Swan Lake, I don't know if I can sit through yet another SW, especially at the Coliseum. Also I have booked the Kaneko/Muntagirov Manon but not as yet the Naghdi/Bracewell one, though I probably will. 

I agree about Lake, but will skip ENB's so that I can see SBG's.  Hopefully with a couple of months' grace in between theirs and the RB's I can look at it with fresh eyes.  I have never seen this company so will sit through Lake yet again and, I hope, enjoy it.  :)

• Like 1

Mary Skeaping Giselle

Several RB Manon casts (especially Fumi/Vadim)

Northern ballet Romeo and Juliet (like Janet, my favourite production)

Sarasota Ballet at the Linbury

RB Ashton programmes at the ROH 

Possibly BRB small company in Cheltenham

• Like 2

Like Jan McNulty I'm really looking forward to NB's Romeo and Juliet. Having moved from London to Yorkshire I'm really enjoying seeing their works more often. 

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Sao Paolo Dance company on tour because it looks really interesting.  

I've actually also booked for the Ballet Icons gala at the Coliseum.  Not sure who from their list will be performing but it looked like fun.  

One of my friends also wants to go to London to see ENB at the Royal Albert Hall in Swan Lake.  I always like seeing ballet in the round, it's such an interesting perspective so I think I will enjoy that.  I may do the Georgian swan lake if I can find a reason to be in London at the time.  

Other than that I'll see what's on that I like the look of and book when I see what's coming.  I like to keep some money back to be spontaneous.  I'm hoping the London City Ballet will tour somewhere near me as I'm looking forward to seeing what they do and I'll probably see the BRB Sleeping Beauty.  

• Like 3

Seeing Alina and Matthew in Bath (I’ll enjoy it even more if there’s a train home!), Alina in La Strada, ENB’s Giselle and a return to my first ballet experience, Swan Lake at the Albert Hall, sadly not in a seat as good as the performance cancelled by Covid 

• Like 1

For me in the immediate future it would be…

Hayward/Sambé in Manon

Nijinska’s Les Noces in Zurich next month

BRB Sleeping Beauty at the Lowry

NYCB at Sadler’s Wells

NB R&J (must remember to book!)

Not strictly dance, but amazingly choreographed - The Nature of Forgetting by Theatre Re at Storyhouse, Chester

Macmillan’s Requiem

…and thanks to Friday Rush and cheap LNWR tickets, Annette Buvoli’s SPF debut in two hours’ time!

Edited by ChrisG
  • Like 3

On 30/12/2023 at 18:45, Sim said:

ENB's Giselle (Skeaping)

Cojocaru/Kobborg dancing together again in La Strada

NYCB dancers' visit

Sarasota Ballet's visit

State Ballet of Georgia's visit

Naghdi/Bracewell's debuts in Manon

Fumi/Vadim in Manon

MacMillan Triple Bill (RB)

Ashton Bill (RB)

Hopefully a trip to Zurich to see Zurich Ballet.

That's about as far as I can get as I don't know what's coming on in autumn/winter of 2024.

What a coincidence, my list is identical to yours, Sim, apart from replacing Zurich with Paris (to see Fille).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

What a coincidence, my list is identical to yours, Sim, apart from replacing Zurich with Paris (to see Fille).

I would sooo love to go to Paris to see Fille.   

• Like 3

I'm too superstitious to list what I've booked but I can say two announced projects for 2024 gladden my heart and I'm looking forward to them: 

London City Ballet resurrected and supported by private funding with guidance/support by Sadler's Wells (look forward to booking for then and watching them in their old London and City home of SWT!)

Alina Cojocaru being able to form her own mini ensemble and create their production of La Strada with her own choice of  choreographer and stage it in London. With government bodies and politicians meddling in so many excellent institutions' work with detrimental results in the last 18 months, it's encouraging to see artists like Cojocaru just go for it.

• Like 4

Don't think I'm adding anything new to the list, but here's what is hopefully floating my boat (at least for the first 6 months of 2024)

ENB's Giselle (the Mary Skeaping version - worth a numb bum on those coliseum 'seats')

Alina Cojocaru's 'Strada', especially with Johan on stage too

Yasmine Naghdi's Manon and Odette/Odile

Fumi Kaneko's Manon and Odette/Odile

Sarah Lamb's Manon and Odette/Odile

The new choreography shows - could be fantastic (or rubbish!)

Requiem in the MacMillan triple

ALL of the Ashton triple bills

The Americans visiting -  NYCB and Sarasota Ballet

Scottish Ballet's 'Streetcar Named Desire'

• Like 5

For the first six months 2024 this way for now:

ENB - Giselle

ROH - Manon ( Osipova/Clarke, Naghdi/Bracewell, Kaneko/Muntagirov)

- Swan Lake (Nunez/Muntagirov, Kaneko/Muntagirov)

ONP Paris - La fille mal gardée

- Don Quixote (Nureyev´s version)

- Giselle (twice, once with Nunez)

- Swan Lake (Nureyev´s version)

Roma - Swan Lake (Kanko/Muntagirov)

I am especially looking forward to Nureyev´s choreographies, which I love above al else. And of course Manon, which I could watch every day 😀

• Like 2

I am most excited about the Ashton triple bill and Sarasota Ballet visit coming up this year, plus the suggestion that we might get Cinderella again before Christmas. Also looking forward to the MacMillan triple bill.

Would love to squeeze in another ballet city break this year, but nothing to specifically look forward to yet.

• Like 3

For me, next semester (+ September) will be:

- ROH: Manon, Swan Lake, Winter's tale, the Ashton bills. Each time with 2 or 3 different casts including one with Osipova

- Saddlers: La Strada (Cojocaru)

- Scala: Coppelia, La Bayadère

- Paris: Giselle

- Rome: Swan Lake (Kaneko/Munti), Sleeping Beauty (Nunez/Clarke)

- Verona: Roberto Bolle & Friends

- Hamburg: The Odyssey (Neumeier), Anna Karenina (Neumeier), Nijinsky gala if I manage to get a ticket

Edited by Paco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Paco said:

For me, next semester (+ September) will be:

- ROH: Manon, Swan Lake, Winter's tale, the Ashton bills. Each time with 2 or 3 different casts including one with Osipova

- Saddlers: La Strada (Cojocaru)

- Scala: Coppelia, La Bayadère

- Paris: Giselle

- Rome: Swan Lake (Kaneko/Munti), Sleeping Beauty (Nunez/Clarke)

- Verona: Roberto Bolle & Friends

- Hamburg: The Odyssey (Neumeier), Anna Karenina (Neumeier), Nijinsky gala if I manage to get a ticket

Wow, you get around, Paco!  Lucky you!  Looking forward to hearing about them all.  

• Like 1

On 02/01/2024 at 18:20, Jan McNulty said:

I don't know how I managed to not mention Ballet Black!!

I'm most definitely looking forward to seeing them in 2024.

I had an email from them about their 2024 works.  I'm really glad they've got Mthuthuzeli November to do something else, I loved Nina.  The first preview performance is apparently at Hackney Empire.  I've pasted the text below.  

On Friday 22nd of March we will present a preview performance of our new 2024 double bill 'Ballet Black: HEROES'. It will be your first chance to see our new works as well as our fabulous new company dancers.

What's on the bill?

Award-winning choreographer, Mthuthuzeli November (Nina: By Whatever Means) contemplates the purpose of life in The Waiting Game, an exciting and energetic work originally created in 2020, infused with a dynamic soundtrack featuring the voices of the Ballet Black artists.

Sophie Laplane, the Franco-British artist and Choreographer in Residence at Scottish Ballet creates a brand new piece for us, after her dazzling 2019 BB ballet, CLICK! Sophie's new work explores the complexity of humanity, heroism and self-acceptance in this celebratory and original piece.

It looks like they're doing a tour but haven't put all the venues up yet.  So far it's Oxford, Barbican, Birmingham and Edinburgh.  

• Like 1

I have:-

Onegin x 3 in Munich - 2 of which have Laurretta Summerscales' cast - I am chuffed about that and can't wait to see her dance Tatiana with Osiel Gouneo as Onegin, Antonio Casalinho as Lensky and Margarita Fernadez as Olga (so far!), the other cast I will see is Madison Young with Jacob Feyferlik. 

Frida in Amsterdam

Ballet Icons London 

NYCB - Sadlers Wells  but am debating whether to return the ticket as there is only 1 piece of Balanchine, so hardy worth the train fare/travel

Don Q x 2 in Paris.

Will see if I can get any Ashton matinees at ROH in due course and maybe a Georgian Swan Lake.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like very much to see Olga Smirnova. In what work ?  One that really works for her. She remains outstanding in the few video clips that I’ve seen of her doing the ‘classics’. I think that she has remarkable potential in diversification. The main factor at the moment seems to be the quality of the material that she chooses and how she wants to focus her outstanding talent.