General Streaming Thread

Guest oncnp

In yesterdays Links (Dec 8th 2023) there was an article about Finnish Ballet commissioning a new version of Christmas Carol choreographed by David Bintley and streamed on Arte.tv for 3 months beginning Dec 23rd. For me, Northern Ballets version will always be the Gold Standard Christmas Carol, especially the  amazing Scrooge portrayed by the wonderful Jeremy Kerridge; just as good as Alistair Sim. However, I will be interested to see what David Bintley has made of it, especially as I fear opportunity to see his ballets may be in short supply in the future.

Audiences worldwide will have the opportunity to view A Christmas Carol beginning December 23, 2023, for three months, on the arte.tv platform, the Stage24 virtual stage of the Finnish National Opera and Ballet, and the Yle Areena platform of the Finnish Broadcasting Company Yle. Principal casting of this recording accompanied by The Orchestra of the Finnish National Opera includes:

• Scrooge: Johan Pakkanen
  • Young Scrooge: Martin Nudo
  • Belle: Abigail Sheppard
  • Bob Cratchit: Frans Valkama
  • Scrooge’s Nephew: Jun Xia
  • The Spirit of Christmas Past: Zhiyao Chen
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/12/2023 at 11:53, LinMM said:

I don’t suppose there’s any chance of the word “Lockdown” now being removed from this thread? 

On 04/12/2023 at 16:38, Suffolkgal said:

I was thinking the same!

Your wish is our command.  Done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• alison changed the title to General Streaming Thread

Opéra National de Bordeaux will be streaming their new production of Giselle live on December 19th 20:00 CET and it will be available until June 19th 2024 on Opera Vision.

Choreography Eric Quilleré after Jules Perrot & Jean Coralli

Giselle
Marini Da Silva

Albrecht
Riku Ota

Myrtha
Ahyun Shin

The Mother
Pascaline Di Fazio

Hilarion
Riccardo Zuddas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 04/12/2023 at 09:49, Angela said:

Dresden Semperoper Ballett will stream a performance of “A Swan Lake” by Johan Inger on Dec 17th, 19.00 CET via Arte Concert. But as I can’t find the English page for the stream, I’m not so sure if it will work everywhere – I guess Spuck’s “Bovary” did, so let’s hope this new Swan Lake will too, the premiere is one week before the stream. Available as VOD for three months afterwards via Arte Concert

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/116718-000-A/peter-tschaikowsky-schwanensee/

https://www.semperoper.de/en/whats-on/schedule/stid/swan-lake/62280.html

Today and the countdown is working in the UK at least!

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/116718-000-A/peter-tschaikowsky-schwanensee/

• Thanks 1

I’ve watched the first act of the new Swan Lake from Dresden Semperoper Ballet.  

Is there a synopsis somewhere?  Enjoying the dancing (and the music of course) but the story is not Swan Lake.  

I am also reflecting (pun unintended!) on yet another production I’ve seen this year that is using a large mirror as a backdrop to reflect the dancers.  This one is circular and changes angles and position on the stage, though i haven’t yet seen what is is adding to the production other than to make the view more busy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FionaM said:

I’ve watched the first act of the new Swan Lake from Dresden Semperoper Ballet.  

Is there a synopsis somewhere?  Enjoying the dancing (and the music of course) but the story is not Swan Lake.  

I am also reflecting (pun unintended!) on yet another production I’ve seen this year that is using a large mirror as a backdrop to reflect the dancers.  This one is circular and changes angles and position on the stage, though i haven’t yet seen what is is adding to the production other than to make the view more busy.  

A Swan Lake - Ballet - Semperoper Dresden

A Swan Lake
The Digital programme booklet
»The Stealing of the Veil«
The fairy-tale model from the collection of Johann Karl August Musäus for Johan Inger's new creation of »A Swan Lake«
A synopsis by Regina Genée, Ballet Dramaturge

During the war, the young soldier Friedbert, inexperienced in love, arrives at a chapel by a lake in a forest near Zwickau, where he meets an old hermit named Benno. The latter offers the young man shelter, makes him his successor and, shortly before his death, finally tells him about the mysterious swan girls who from time to time play at the lake. He relates that he was once in love with one of them, Zoe, but lost her a long time ago, which is why he has been living in solitude ever since.

One day when the swan girls are back at the lake, Friedbert watches the bathers and falls in love with the young Kallista. In order to get to know her personally, he steals her veil, preventing her from flying away, hides it, and tells her that a magician must have stolen it. Friedbert's plan is successful: unaware that he is the thief of her veil, Kallista takes refuge in the hermit's hut and gradually places more and more trust in her purported rescuer. Eventually, the two also begin a love affair and she agrees to follow him home to his widowed mother. However, Friedbert's mother knows his secret as well as the hiding place of the veil.

The Stealing of the Veil © Rudolf Jordan (1842)
Shortly before the wedding, she finally tells Kallista about the theft of the veil and thus of the deception on the part of her son. Angry at Friedbert's treachery, Kallista takes back her veil and flies away as a swan. Friedbert then sets out to find her. He arrives on her home island of Naxos and meets her mother, Queen Zoe, who turns out to be Benno's lost lover.

Close

Before her marriage to the hot-tempered King Zeno, she was also a swan maiden, but her husband punished her by tearing her veil. As a result, she was no longer able to fly to the Zwickau region, on the one hand to see Benno again and on the other to retain her youth, which would have been preserved by a regular bath in the magical »Swan Lake«. For this reason, Zoe became mortal and progressively weaker with age.

The Queen welcomes Friedbert and asks him to choose a bride from among the most beautiful girls on the island, but he refuses because his heart belongs to Kallista alone. He begs Zoe to be allowed to meet her. When he is finally able to enter her room, he asks for forgiveness and Kallista forgives him. Then they get married and live happily ever after.

Edited by oncnp

much better use of the mirror in the second act … revealing the stage patterns (circles, diagonals, etc) which the straight on view of the camera and the audience in the stalls wouldn’t otherwise see 👍

Emotional ending 👏👏👏

Edited by FionaM
Add last sentence

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder for VOD

TSCHAIKOVSKY OUVERTURES

Munich Staatsballett

Video-on-demand

Tchaikovsky Ouvertures

Chor.: Alexey Ratmansky

From Sunday, January 7 2024,  10 am C.E.T., available for 24 hours for free

Bayerisches Staatsballett München

Link:

www.staatsoper.de/tv

Cast:

Shale Wagman

Osiel Gouneo

Julian Mckay

Jinhao Zhang

Antonio Casalinho

Maria Baranova

Madison Young

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

Reminder for VOD

TSCHAIKOVSKY OUVERTURES

Munich Staatsballett

Video-on-demand

Tchaikovsky Ouvertures

Link:

www.staatsoper.de/tv

Cast:

Shale Wagman

Osiel Gouneo

Julian Mckay

Jinhao Zhang

Antonio Casalinho

Maria Baranova

Madison Young

Is there a link you can share for this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

Reminder for VOD

TSCHAIKOVSKY OUVERTURES

Munich Staatsballett

Video-on-demand

Tchaikovsky Ouvertures

Link:

www.staatsoper.de/tv

Cast:

Shale Wagman

Osiel Gouneo

Julian Mckay

Jinhao Zhang

Antonio Casalinho

Maria Baranova

Madison Young

Thank you for this reminder.     The music alone would get me tuning in.   I came to add the link but of course you had already taken care of it.  🙏  Many thanks to you and all the helpful forum members who kindly alert us about streamings.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, myrtle said:

Thank you for this reminder.     The music alone would get me tuning in.   I came to add the link but of course you had already taken care of it.  🙏  Many thanks to you and all the helpful forum members who kindly alert us about streamings.

You're very welcome!

Here is a trailer, beginning with "Tchaikovsky's spirit":

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is Tchaikovsky Overtures a single, full-length work or multiple shorter pieces? I had assumed it was full-length but the scenes in the trailer look so different in costuming, with some tutus but also some very modern-looking costumes.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Is Tchaikovsky Overtures a single, full-length work or multiple shorter pieces? I had assumed it was full-length but the scenes in the trailer look so different in costuming, with some tutus but also some very modern-looking costumes.

It's not a narrative ballet, but consists of some pieces. The "Tchaikovsky spirit" I mentioned (danced by Shale Wagman) is the "bracket" around the pieces. Even 2 Opera singers appear and accompany Tchaikovsky - or is it vice versa?  I look forward to the stream. I had a ticket for last October but fell I'll..

Here's more info, also, if you scroll down you'll see some rehearsal videos:

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/productions/tchaikovsky-overtures

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, myrtle said:

Many thanks to you and all the helpful forum members who kindly alert us about streamings.

And thanks to those members who've been adding them to the Streaming Calendar too. I've been meaning to say that for a while.

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, alison said:

And thanks to those members who've been adding them to the Streaming Calendar too. I've been meaning to say that for a while.

and for those who (like me) can't remember anything anymore, the Events calendar has a handy reminder option 

Culture channel in Russia will broadcast GISELLE performed in April 2014

Diana Vishneva and Sergei Polunin

- with Sergei Manuilov as Hans and Oxana Kardash as Myrtha 

Monday 8 January 2024 at 22.35

- 19.35 in UK

Announcement

https://smotrim.ru/article/3727716

It’s possible to watch this channel live and free without VPN

https://smotrim.ru/live/19201

Vishneva and Polunin performed this twice, first in Novosibirsk Opera House and 5 days later in Stanislavsky Music Theatre in Moscow.  This is the StanMus show.  People were sitting in the aisles and standing in extra spaces.  

This is the first time the professional recording has been broadcast anywhere.  (Audience clips exist of course.)

Thank you FionaM for the link to the 2014 performance of Giselle with Vishneva & Polunin. The great Diana Vishneva was quite superb but I felt Polunin was uneasy & not at home in the role of Albrecht, though he did produce a few (not 32 in this production) nice clean entrechats six towards the end of Act II.  

I haven’t seen Vishneva in this role before.  I didn’t warm to her portrayal.  Too dominating in Act 1 (where is the humble, shy, young girl that is deceived?) and too much of a dead corpse in Act 2.  I didn’t believe her Giselle cared about saving Albrecht.  

Oxana Kardash was sublime as Myrtha and Sergei Manuilov was clear in his acting as Hans.  Some of the other character artists were rather awkward.  

I felt the camera close ups showed Vishneva more than Polunin so we could not always follow the arc of his portrayal. 

The technique of both was sublime and seemingly achieved with no effort.

I hear Russian ballet forums are alight with cries of how could he give away THIS? 

Albrecht became a signature role for Sergei. He performed this ballet 30 times I think, partnering Zakharova 11 times and also Osipova, Shapran, Marquez, Nunez, Vishneva, N.Somova, and 3 Novosibirsk ballerinas.  There were discussions for a guest appearance at ROH within the past 5 years.  Two more performances in Munich were cancelled due to Covid. 

4 hours ago, Amelia said:

I came across a recording of "Giselle" at Stanislavsky Theatre in Moscow in 2014 with

Diana Vishneva (as a guest star), Sergei Polunin, Oxana Kardash and Sergei Manooylov:

https://ok.ru/video/3314004462224

thank you for this.  

It’s an audience recording that is also available on VK and YouTube.  So it doesn’t have the quality of picture or sound, nor the close ups of the professional recording.  And it is missing some scenes … it’s shorter than the full broadcast.  Still, it’s better than nothing! 

Edited by FionaM
Typo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...