RB Casting - SPRING BOOKING PERIOD 2024

I should have put the word casting in the title (perhaps a Mod could do that, please?). But here is what we've been waiting for.

MAIN STAGE

SWAN LAKE                                   Odette/Odile, Prince Siegfried

CHOREOGRAPHY

Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov ADDITIONAL CHOREOGRAPHY

Liam Scarlett and Frederick Ashton

Wednesday 6th March 7.30pm Monday 1st April – 7pm Saturday 6th April – 7.30pm

Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov

Thursday 7th March – 7.30pm Thursday 21st March 7.30pm Mayara Magri, Cesar Corrales

Friday 15th March – 7.30pm Thursday 28th March 7.30pm Monday 1st April – 1pm

Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell

Friday 12th April – 7.30pm Thursday 18th April 7.30pm Saturday 27th April – 1pm

Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Marcelino Sambé

Wednesday 17th April 7.30pm Saturday 20th April – 1pm Wednesday 24th April 7.30pm Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball

Thursday 18th April 12.30pm (Schools Matinee)* Saturday 11th May – 1pm

Mariko Sasaki*, Joseph Sissens*

Saturday 20th April – 7pm Monday 29th April 7.30pm Saturday 4th May – 1pm Sarah Lamb, Ryoichi Hirano

Saturday 27th April – 7pm Saturday 11th May – 7pm

Francesca Hayward, William Bracewell

Saturday 4th May – 7pm Thursday 9th May – 7.30pm Fumi Kaneko, Vadim Muntagirov

DANSES CONCERTANTES DIFFERENT DRUMMER REQUIEM

CHOREOGRAPHY

Kenneth MacMillan

Wednesday 20th March 7.30pm Friday 22nd March – 7.30pm Wednesday 27th March 7.30pm Thursday 4th April – 7.30pm Tuesday 9th April – 7.30pm Saturday 13th April 7.30pm The Company

*role debut

• Like 7
  • Thanks 17

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

MAIN STAGE

SWAN LAKE                                   Odette/Odile, Prince Siegfried

CHOREOGRAPHY

Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov ADDITIONAL CHOREOGRAPHY

Liam Scarlett and Frederick Ashton

Wednesday 6th March 7.30pm Monday 1st April – 7pm Saturday 6th April – 7.30pm

Marianela Nuñez, Vadim Muntagirov

Thursday 7th March – 7.30pm Thursday 21st March 7.30pm Mayara Magri, Cesar Corrales

Friday 15th March – 7.30pm Thursday 28th March 7.30pm Monday 1st April – 1pm

Lauren Cuthbertson, William Bracewell

Friday 12th April – 7.30pm Thursday 18th April 7.30pm Saturday 27th April – 1pm

Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Marcelino Sambé

Wednesday 17th April 7.30pm Saturday 20th April – 1pm Wednesday 24th April 7.30pm Yasmine Naghdi, Matthew Ball

Thursday 18th April 12.30pm (Schools Matinee)* Saturday 11th May – 1pm

Mariko Sasaki*, Joseph Sissens*

Saturday 20th April – 7pm Monday 29th April 7.30pm Saturday 4th May – 1pm Sarah Lamb, Ryoichi Hirano

Saturday 27th April – 7pm Saturday 11th May – 7pm

Francesca Hayward, William Bracewell

Saturday 4th May – 7pm Thursday 9th May – 7.30pm Fumi Kaneko, Vadim Muntagirov

DANSES CONCERTANTES DIFFERENT DRUMMER REQUIEM

CHOREOGRAPHY

Kenneth MacMillan

Wednesday 20th March 7.30pm Friday 22nd March – 7.30pm Wednesday 27th March 7.30pm Thursday 4th April – 7.30pm Tuesday 9th April – 7.30pm Saturday 13th April 7.30pm The Company

*role debut

Thank you!

• zxDaveM changed the title to RB Casting - SPRING BOOKING PERIOD

Well that’s put the cat amongst the pigeons (or should that be swans), it’s another interesting mixing of pairings and I don’t know which to choose yet.  I had thought I wouldn’t bother with Swan Lake, but who am I kidding?

I really hope Cesar Corrales is fit and finally makes it back onto stage.  

Edited by OnePigeon
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

Looks like the June date casts are not yet up! I would bet that is where Osipova, Takada and Lamb are. 

Lamb is listed for three shows with Hirano.

The June dates probably fall into the Summer Booking period.

28 minutes ago, capybara said:

This is correct yes.

slightly annoying no casting for the MacMillan bill - not even “cast 1” and “cast 2”. Unless we’re going to have all performances by the same cast?

Edited by JNC
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sim said:

Amazing that Mariko Sasaki is being given O/O at such a junior stage of her career.  Can't wait!  

But she’s in the 11th year of her career which started at BRB and, arguably, her first promotion in the RB (2021) was delayed by COVID.

I think she’s danced the white Swan pdd in galas?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Perhaps Akane's injury worse than we feared

Perhaps still the old problem ongoing? How sad when she's only recently returned.  She's so very beautiful a dancer.

She has an on-going knee problem where the cartilage is not smooth enough and it is painful to plie.

https://balletassociation.co.uk/pages/reports-2015-akane-takada

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, 

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

But she’s in the 11th year of her career which started at BRB and, arguably, her first promotion in the RB (2021) was delayed by COVID.

Yes, but what I meant was that she is a Soloist, and to my knowledge has never danced a lead role of any kind (I don't consider SPF to be a lead role, lovely as she was in it)....so to be given O/O as a start is a wonderful thing for her.  Hopefully it will lead to her promotion.

• Like 3

I think that Sasaki is due a big break.  From what I have seen she has been the strongest of the current soloist crop in the 'difficult' classical roles.  She was outstanding as the SPF and also (in my humble opinion) the best Queen of the Dryads in the recent run.  She has a very clean technique, doesn't seem prone to panic and also brings a lovely musical sense of phrasing.

• Like 10

I find it a shame that Fumi doesn't dance with Reece Clarke much anymore? I still remember her Aurora debut with him a few years ago and it was lovely. It seems she now has Muntagirov and Bracewell down as her 'regular' partners, i.e. is partnered with similar to who Nunez would be partnered with. 

I think Magri and Corrales is a promising partnership but actually I would have liked to see Hayward/Corrales partnered more. Weren't they due to make their debuts together (?) in the 2020 run that got cancelled due to COVID. And no McRae, unless he's going to be paired with Takada for the Summer season? 

If I were going to shake things up I would have suggested:

Kaneko/Clarke (ok technically I know Clarke isn't in this round...)

Hayward/Corrales

Naghdi/Bracewell

Magri/Ball 

O'Sullivan/Hirano

Cuthbertson/Muntagirov 

Lamb/Muntagirov

Nunez/Bracewell 

I know it's not that radical to suggest the above as I think these have all danced with each other before but as much as I like Nunez/Muntagirov and Naghdi/Ball etc as established partnerships, surely the one benefit of having Swan Lake come round so often is they try different things?

I feel the casting pairing is nearly exactly the same as the 2022 run with Nunez/Muntagirov; Naghdi/Ball; Magri/Corrales; Hayward/Bracewell, Cuthbertson/Bracwell all dancing together then. (O'Sullivan was paired with McRae back then, I can't recall who Lamb was partnered with and Kaneko was with Bonelli now sadly retired, we can already predict Osipova/Clarke will happen again though, why not Osipova/Bracewell as a change, although he already has two partners!) 

• Like 3

As a big Muntagirov fan I am delighted to see him top and tailing the spring, run of SLs with three performances with Marinela in March and April and two with Fumi in May, including one on my birthday - is this a record for him in one season? Fumi and Vadim have done both the black swan and white swan PDDs in several galas in Italy and I believe they will perform the whole thing in Rome next June. However I don’t think my bank balance will run to seeing all of his performances!

it doesn’t look as if Stephen McRae will be back before the end of the season. It must be incredibly frustrating for him although he seems to be staying positive.

Like others, I am delighted that Joseph Sissens has been given this wonderful opportunity.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, capybara said:

It's a bit awkward not to have the casting for the second block of shows before booking opens for the first block. Given how eye-watering the SL prices are I'm going to have to limit myself to only seeing 2 or 3 casts but it's difficult to choose between casts when some casts are still unknown. I definitely want to see Lamb, as it may be the last chance & so far all I've seen of her O/O is half of Act II. Then Kaneko/Muntagirov is my next pick out of the known casts but with 2 or 3 casts unknown....

@JNC I agree with your sentiments in a general sense but with SL being so expensive I felt relieved when seeing the casts that there were so many pairs I'd already seen in 2022 & can therefore live without seeing this time. If all the partnerships had been swapped then I'd find it much harder to choose between them!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JNC said:

And no McRae, unless he's going to be paired with Takada for the Summer season? 

That seems a fair assumption, if both are fit. On the latter point, both are still cast in The Nutcracker and Manon so hopefully they are not currently ruled out for later performances as matters stand. Certainly Akane Takada usually tends to be cast towards the end of runs for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

That seems a fair assumption, if both are fit. On the latter point, both are still cast in The Nutcracker and Manon so hopefully they are not currently ruled out for later performances as matters stand. Certainly Akane Takada usually tends to be cast towards the end of runs for some reason.

It’s nice if leaving the announcement of some casts until later means that injured/“off” dancers might be scheduled for later.

No complaint but I do find the doubling up of two male Principals a bit strange when First Soloists are not being used.

HOWEVER - Calvert/Edmonds in June anyone?

Maybe it would feel too soon to publish replacements for Nutcracker and Manon.

Edited by capybara

2 hours ago, JNC said:

I find it a shame that Fumi doesn't dance with Reece Clarke much anymore? I still remember her Aurora debut with him a few years ago and it was lovely. It seems she now has Muntagirov and Bracewell down as her 'regular' partners, i.e. is partnered with similar to who Nunez would be partnered with. 

I think Magri and Corrales is a promising partnership but actually I would have liked to see Hayward/Corrales partnered more. Weren't they due to make their debuts together (?) in the 2020 run that got cancelled due to COVID. And no McRae, unless he's going to be paired with Takada for the Summer season? 

If I were going to shake things up I would have suggested:

Kaneko/Clarke (ok technically I know Clarke isn't in this round...)

Hayward/Corrales

Naghdi/Bracewell

Magri/Ball 

O'Sullivan/Hirano

Cuthbertson/Muntagirov 

Lamb/Muntagirov

Nunez/Bracewell 

I know it's not that radical to suggest the above as I think these have all danced with each other before but as much as I like Nunez/Muntagirov and Naghdi/Ball etc as established partnerships, surely the one benefit of having Swan Lake come round so often is they try different things?

I feel the casting pairing is nearly exactly the same as the 2022 run with Nunez/Muntagirov; Naghdi/Ball; Magri/Corrales; Hayward/Bracewell, Cuthbertson/Bracwell all dancing together then. (O'Sullivan was paired with McRae back then, I can't recall who Lamb was partnered with and Kaneko was with Bonelli now sadly retired, we can already predict Osipova/Clarke will happen again though, why not Osipova/Bracewell as a change, although he already has two partners!) 

Sarah Lamb was paired with Ryoichi Hirano in 2022, Fumi Kaneko with both Federico Bonelli and William Bracewell. Lauren Cuthbertson was paired with Vadim Muntagirov in the previous production (before 2018!). I like many of your pairings though, JNC! 

Hope Takada and McRae will be recovered sufficiently for June, and it would be great to have Calvert/Edmonds and Osipova/Clarke for June also. Great news and toi toi toi to Mariko Sasaki and Joseph Sissens for their debuts!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

@JNC I agree with your sentiments in a general sense but with SL being so expensive I felt relieved when seeing the casts that there were so many pairs I'd already seen in 2022 & can therefore live without seeing this time. If all the partnerships had been swapped then I'd find it much harder to choose between them!

to be fair I won’t be booking any SLs I don’t think because of the cost.

I’d like to see Nunez as she’s one of the few  principals that I’ve not seen dance the role (there’s about three others I’ve not seen either but between my personal preferences and who they’re partnered with I’m not going out of my way this time). But as she doesn’t have a matinee I’ll have to weigh up whether I have plans in London that can justify accommodation costs.

Annoyingly the MacMillan bill which I do really want to see as I’ve not seen any of those pieces before doesn’t have a single matinee, so it’s likely I can only afford that and therefore won’t see SL this time round. If it’s back in 2 years I hope Nunez will still be around to dance it, she seems pretty much unstoppable at this point! 

• Like 1

Hmmm.  Nunez and Muntagirov was a given. Same for Ball/Naghdi, so I'm not surprised at those, nor Lamb/Hirano or O'Sullivan/Sambe. I am a little surprised to see Magri/Corrales and not Hayward/Corrales. I just knew there would be Cuthbertson/Bracewell again but had hoped also for Kaneko/Bracewell and am disappointed in that. From my perspective, it's a shame that Bracewell was paired with both Cuthbertson and Hayward in 2022 and now is again (I saw both pairings). With the price of the tickets, this is probably a good thing! 

Edit: Yay for Sasaki/Sissens!

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Hope Takada and McRae will be recovered sufficiently for June

Takada is not cast to dance Nutcracker for another two months, so I am still keeping fingers crossed for her recovery by January. Without knowledge of her specific problem (she doesn't communicate through social media like McRae does) we don't have any idea of her  possible  return date.

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

....and it would be great to have Calvert/Edmonds.... for June also. 

or Calvert/Campbell or Campbell/Campbell (unless he's going to be dancing with Takada) 

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I know Steven McRae is super-human but given how open he was about his injury on IG I doubt (sadly) very much before he will be back before the Autumn season 2024.

I am not a medical person but I had a lot of chats with a dancer I know who had an ACL injury and who was out for a year.  Before they came back they had to have their other knee stress tested because once one ACL has gone the other one is more prone to go too.

My dog fully ruptured the cruciate in his left back leg in October 2021 and had to have a major operation (which is not suitable for humans) and I was warned his right was likely to go.  He has a partial rupture of his right back cruciate which the Vet decided it was best to conservatively manage.  Because of this I take an interest in human cruciate injuries.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

HOWEVER - Calvert/Edmonds in June anyone?

Maybe it would feel too soon to publish replacements for Nutcracker and Manon.

I hope so. June would give Calvert longer to return from maternity leave. However if she isn't ready then I hope Edmonds gets to do it with someone else, as it would seem unfair if he didn't get to dance because his previous partner chose to have a baby!

I've been checking the ROH website for the Nutcracker cast change pretty much every day since McRae announced his injury, so replacement casting can't come soon enough for me! (Yes, I am booked for that Nutcracker cast.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I hope so. June would give Calvert longer to return from maternity leave. However if she isn't ready then I hope Edmonds gets to do it with someone else, as it would seem unfair if he didn't get to dance because his previous partner chose to have a baby!

Praying to all the ballet gods that it might be Melissa Hamilton! (Slim chance I know.)

Or if not, Annette Buvoli? As she's doing the SPF with him in January.

• Like 5