RB Casting - SPRING BOOKING PERIOD 2024

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Is this friend a Friend then?  I thought he was only an occasional ballet goer?

No, that was why I said "as long as it doesn't sell out of reasonably-priced tickets before public booking opens". Although he did tell me that, having booked a single Nutcracker ticket, he's recently had an email from the ROH trying to persuade him to become a Friend. A bit premature of the ROH to send that to someone who's only booked one ballet ticket, I feel!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

No, that was why I said "as long as it doesn't sell out of reasonably-priced tickets before public booking opens". Although he did tell me that, having booked a single Nutcracker ticket, he's recently had an email from the ROH trying to persuade him to become a Friend. A bit premature of the ROH to send that to someone who's only booked one ballet ticket, I feel!

Sorry, misunderstood!  Having computer problems today.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, capybara said:

Fumi is F A B U L O U S whatever she is dancing and whoever she is dancing with.

I’ll second that.

Strong classical technique like Nunez.  The difference is Fumi will take risks.  Nunez is too careful for me.   

Strong dramatic range and more subtly nuanced than Osipova.  

And if anyone is wondering about Kaneko/Muntagirov chemistry then see photos on instagram from their performances together in the past two years beginning with Manon pdd at a gala in Japan.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Also Francesca in this role at last!

Francesca has danced Manon a few times now, she last performed with Alexander Campbell. She was brilliant, definitely my number 1 choice for the role at the moment! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Do you mean Naghdi and Bracewell? I think it’s Cuthbertson/Ball for Manon

Yes...the Naghdi/Ball partnership has been split up for Manon (as have the Kaneko/Bracewell and Nunez/Muntagirov ones - Kevin was clearly in the mood to shake things up a bit!) so it's Naghdi/Bracewell, Nunez/Bolle, Kaneko/Muntagirov and Cuthbertson/Ball.

Yes, I would agree that Francesca is fabulous in this role.  I really wish she were dancing it with Campbell again; it worked so beautifully.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Yes, I would agree that Francesca is fabulous in this role.  I really wish she were dancing it with Campbell again; it worked so beautifully.  

Same here. It's going to be rather odd seeing Campbell as Lescaut to her Manon rather than as Des Grieux. Although I am looking forward to seeing Campbell as Lescaut, as I've not seen him in that role because in the last run he only did Des Grieux.

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Yes...the Naghdi/Ball partnership has been split up for Manon (as have the Kaneko/Bracewell and Nunez/Muntagirov ones - Kevin was clearly in the mood to shake things up a bit!) so it's Naghdi/Bracewell, Nunez/Bolle, Kaneko/Muntagirov and Cuthbertson/Ball.

I am very much looking forward to Naghdi/Bracewell and have also booked to see Kaneko/Muntagirov. However, I am really disappointed not to have Kaneko/Bracewell in Swan Lake. I get to see the same partners Bracewell had last time :( 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FionaM said:

I’ll second that.

Strong classical technique like Nunez.  The difference is Fumi will take risks.  Nunez is too careful for me.   

Strong dramatic range and more subtly nuanced than Osipova.  

And if anyone is wondering about Kaneko/Muntagirov chemistry then see photos on instagram from their performances together in the past two years beginning with Manon pdd at a gala in Japan.   

I saw Fumi Kaneko dance with Vadim Muntagirov at several galas in Europe this year (Geneva, several times in Brno), their partnership is absolutely perfect.  I'm really looking forward to their Manon and even more to Swan Lake.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sim said:

Indeed, but the Takada/Campbell pairing, as planned,  is also to be recommended, having worked wonderfully previously as I mentioned on the RB Winter Casting thread.

• Like 3

The Manon casting is what it is - for now. 

I think the root of the problem is that there are so many potentially fabulous casts but, this time far more than ever before, the prices are forcing choices on us which we’d rather not make. It didn’t feel like that for the 2018 or 2019 runs.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Indeed, but the Takada/Campbell pairing, as planned,  is also to be recommended, having worked wonderfully previously as I mentioned on the RB Winter Casting thread.

I'm sure they will be great together.  I just think that the Frankie/Campbell pairing works so well in this ballet in particular.  He was also a fabulous Romeo to Yasmine Naghdi's Juliet (she replaced Akane if I remember correctly?) and I think that since he and Hayward are both wonderful in the MacMillan rep it's just a shame not to be seeing them dancing together again.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I think the root of the problem is that there are so many potentially fabulous casts but, this time far more than ever before, the prices are forcing choices on us which we’d rather not make. It didn’t feel like that for the 2018 or 2019 runs.

That's what I feel for Swan Lake. The Manon prices feel remarkably affordable compared to the astronomical SL ones! So for Manon I'll probably see around 5 casts, which will cover everyone I particularly want to see, whereas SL I don't feel I can see more than 2 or 3, which will not cover everyone I want to see & will make it very difficult to decide between pairings, especially as the casting for the June block probably won't be available until after booking for the March-May block has opened.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

There's one for the streaming service but haven't seen any for tickets to live performances.....yet!

And something from the shop  https://www.instagram.com/p/C0Bk8-Osv6J/?hl=en

Today appears to be

BLACK FRIDAY OFFER - SAVE £20 WHEN YOU SPEND £100 (DISCOUNT APPLIED AT CHECKOUT)

Edited by oncnp

• 3 months later...

Just received from ROH

We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Royal Opera House for our upcoming performance of Kenneth MacMillan's Danses Concertantes / Different Drummer / Requiem.

Following the news that Principal dancer Alexander Campbell has been appointed Artistic Director of the Royal Academy of Dance, the following cast change has been made:

20 March, 4 and 9 April, 7.30pm:

Alexander Campbell is replaced by Francisco Serrano as the Drum Major in Different Drummer.

🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Further to this, it has also just been notified that Lauren Cuthbertson will not be dancing Swan Lake this season and will be replaced by Fumi Kaneko on the 15th and 28th March and 1st April.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

Further to this, it has also just been notified that Lauren Cuthbertson will not be dancing Swan Lake this season and will be replaced by Fumi Kaneko on the 15th and 28th March and 1st April.

I wonder why?

Still, those who have booked for her will now be getting the excellent partnership of Kaneko and Bracewell. I would like to see these two, but these dates are all sold out at present (apart from the boxes on April 1st).

• Like 2

All best to Lauren, beautiful ballerina…as she’s in the MacMillan programme maybe it was just that odette/odile was a step too far after coming back? Who knows, let’s hope she’s back soon. And meanwhile… the lovely partnership is getting an unexpected airing. 

• Like 5

I'm slightly surprised that departing Principal Campbell has been replaced by First Artist Serrano rather than a higher-ranked dancer. I know the management try to give dancers at all ranks casting opportunities but usually casting for cinema performances tends towards having more higher-ranked dancers.

• Like 6

I have tickets for the 28th and whilst I am sorry not to be seeing Lauren (especially after her tour de force as Manon) I am thrilled that she is being replaced by Fumi so that I can unexpectedly see this wonderful partnership again this season.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Having looked at the dates it’s taken me a few minutes to work out why I hadn’t booked them in the first place. Unfortunately travel plans mean I will have to rely on all of your wonderful reviews! 
Sad to hear Lauren is out of the running.

• Like 1

Lauren did dance O/O a couple of years ago, I think - returning then from maternity leave. So any performances this year would have been more consolidation than revisiting the role after a break.

As she has also withdrawn from other roles in the fairly recent past (Month in 2022), she might have reached a stage in her career where she wants to make choices about her rep.  If so, one can but admire her for that.

(Apologies for speculating.)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

Lauren did dance O/O a couple of years ago, I think - returning then from maternity leave. So any performances this year would have been more consolidation than revisiting the role after a break.

Her performance was May 2022 with Bracewell, the cinema relay - the recording is now on ROH Stream. I watched it live and again recently on the stream, really enjoyed it. She and Bracewell had a strong connection throughout - I preferred her as Odette overall but still, a great performance. Definitely a huge achievement to come back to such a demanding classical role after pregnancy - as Calvert is also doing this season, good luck to her (she was also brilliant at her debut in 2022).

I won't be able to see half as many Odette/Odiles this time around due to pricing increases. So I'm glad I got to see most of them in the last run. Unfortunately have to miss Kaneko's this time around but I'm grateful I got to see her 2022 performance with Bonelli.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 3

I did have a vague idea who Francisco Serrano was but nevertheless just looked him up to double check!! 

Well the powers that be must have great faith in him to cast in this role so will be exciting to see what he does with it. 

Googling Francisco Serrano finds that he was 19 in February 2016 making him now 27 and therefore quite old to still be a first artist.  High time he was given more opportunity! 

This article does point out he was a late starter, at age 14. 

http://ticket.heraldtribune.com/2016/02/19/sarasota-dancer-joins-royal-ballet/

Edited by FionaM
Add source
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I have tickets for the 28th and whilst I am sorry not to be seeing Lauren (especially after her tour de force as Manon) I am thrilled that she is being replaced by Fumi so that I can unexpectedly see this wonderful partnership again this season.

I am sorry too - have only just found this out. I have tickets for 15th and 28th. I am not going to say anything else other than I am sorry, as I loved Lauren in the last run - she was amazing. I am, erm, somewhat pleased (yes, I think everyone knows how I feel) that she is being replaced by such a wonderful dancer as Fumi ❤️ I wish Lauren all the best 🥰

• Like 2