Well I've booked my tickets to Giselle,  only 2 for now, but might manage another matinee. This was only made possible by the advance casting so many thanks to Aaron and Irmgard.

I'm also really impressed at the amount of matinées and matinee casts. A really good mix of casts and many big names such as Kajda and Frola.  Also pleased that Irmgard said other casts were, 'waiting in the wings' for future performances.  I was worried that a traditional Giselle would be abandoned in favour of the Akram Khan version so really pleased this isn't the case.  Add to this a pensioner ticket discount (something that would be nice for the ROH to adopt), and a very positive experience all round. Well done Aaron and ENB. A great start to his first full programmed season and I hope he is rewarded by good houses and appreciative audiences. 

• Like 12

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Well I've booked my tickets to Giselle,  only 2 for now, but might manage another matinee. This was only made possible by the advance casting so many thanks to Aaron and Irmgard.

I'm also really impressed at the amount of matinées and matinee casts. A really good mix of casts and many big names such as Kajda and Frola.  Also pleased that Irmgard said other casts were, 'waiting in the wings' for future performances.  I was worried that a traditional Giselle would be abandoned in favour of the Akram Khan version so really pleased this isn't the case.  Add to this a pensioner ticket discount (something that would be nice for the ROH to adopt), and a very positive experience all round. Well done Aaron and ENB. A great start to his first full programmed season and I hope he is rewarded by good houses and appreciative audiences. 

💯
Same. Thank you @Irmgard

• Like 1

I’ve only just realised I’ve got some extra planning to do unless I change dates of performances I was hoping to attend or I’ll have a luggage issue with the Coli!! 
I won’t be able to take my wheely into the auditorium which I’d have with me on both the days I was thinking of as there’s no longer a cloakroom! 
I need a rethink …good job it’s not until January! 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2023 at 11:40, Irmgard said:

I have mentioned to Aaron, and to Patrick Harrison (ENB's Executive Director), the interest and thanks publishing the casting has generated (and the upswing in ticket sales), and I know it is Aaron's policy (now that he is officially Artistic Director, instead of 'Designate') to publish casting as early as is feasible. 

I totally agree how early announcements in casting etc can help in ticket purchase decisions…. As can marketing to potential audience members. I’m interested to know if there is a ‘cut off’ from emailing as I used to regularly get emails about ENB productions & events (was once part of the friend/member scheme but ceased that many years ago once living much further from London) but I remained on email lists. However, I think I’ve been dumped by ENB in the last 2 years as not heard a thing direct & rely on this forum for info which then alerts me to look on ENB website…. I am not a hugely regular visitor to London but have visited many ballet events over the last 2 years… ENB have perhaps missed mine & others custom by what I assume is a policy to drop off lists people who perhaps haven’t purchased after a certain length of time. I actually think we are exactly the people to actively court through email marketing!! 
As I’m intrigued to hear more about advance casting info of Giselle I shall attempt to re-sign up to email lists!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I totally agree how early announcements in casting etc can help in ticket purchase decisions…. As can marketing to potential audience members. I’m interested to know if there is a ‘cut off’ from emailing as I used to regularly get emails about ENB productions & events (was once part of the friend/member scheme but ceased that many years ago once living much further from London) but I remained on email lists. However, I think I’ve been dumped by ENB in the last 2 years as not heard a thing direct & rely on this forum for info which then alerts me to look on ENB website…. I am not a hugely regular visitor to London but have visited many ballet events over the last 2 years… ENB have perhaps missed mine & others custom by what I assume is a policy to drop off lists people who perhaps haven’t purchased after a certain length of time. I actually think we are exactly the people to actively court through email marketing!! 
As I’m intrigued to hear more about advance casting info of Giselle I shall attempt to re-sign up to email lists!!

I doubt that you will have been dropped for not purchasing tickets for a while, you are the very customer whose bum the ENB wants back on a seat.
You may have received an email at some point asking you to confirm that you were happy for ENB to continue to retain your details for data protection purposes and to continue sending you information.  This does happen periodically with many companies or if there is a change in the law and if one doesn’t confirm the company is legally obliged to delete you.

ENB emails may have ended up in your Spam too or you may have set your parameters accidentally to reject any ENB emails.

Try signing up again and see what happens, it ought to tell you if your email address is already registered or not. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I resigned my ENB Friends membership in January - I hadn't been to a Friends event for ages and it's now quite expensive and I just couldn't justify/afford it at the moment (especially when at the time I had no great confidence about the direction the company would take under its new director). Since I emailed them with my resignation, I've heard nothing - no acknowledgement of my email (even though I'd been a Friend for many years) and no further emails about the company, though of course I'm still interested in them and will still be going to performances (information about which I now largely get from this forum rather than from the company). They should surely have (at least) two different email lists: one for Friends and one for others who have supported or bought tickets or shown an interest in some way.

And, I used to work for a membership organisation and we always acknowledged resignations with thanks for their past support and the hope that they might rejoin at some point in the future; that was a very effective way of retaining goodwill and strengthening the possibility of getting them back in the future. It also gives you the opportunity to ask permission to retain their data so you can keep in touch with them, if that's deemed necessary. (And it's good manners, though I suppose that's considered irrelevant nowadays...).

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I resigned my ENB Friends membership in January - I hadn't been to a Friends event for ages and it's now quite expensive and I just couldn't justify/afford it at the moment (especially when at the time I had no great confidence about the direction the company would take under its new director). Since I emailed them with my resignation, I've heard nothing - no acknowledgement of my email (even though I'd been a Friend for many years) and no further emails about the company, though of course I'm still interested in them and will still be going to performances (information about which I now largely get from this forum rather than from the company). They should surely have (at least) two different email lists: one for Friends and one for others who have supported or bought tickets or shown an interest in some way.

And, I used to work for a membership organisation and we always acknowledged resignations with thanks for their past support and the hope that they might rejoin at some point in the future; that was a very effective way of retaining goodwill and strengthening the possibility of getting them back in the future. It also gives you the opportunity to ask permission to retain their data so you can keep in touch with them, if that's deemed necessary. (And it's good manners, though I suppose that's considered irrelevant nowadays...).

That's not good Bridie.  I dropped my Friends membership many years ago but several years ago I signed up to get emails and I do get them, including the recent one about casting.

• Thanks 1

An acknowledgment of your support for the Company over the years and a comment regarding possible renewal of membership in the future is a reasonable expectation. ENB are not alone in failing to follow this procedure. I can think of several large organisations  I have supported over many years, that didn’t send any acknowledgment when I withdrew my subscription/ membership.  

Like Jan, I’m not a Friends of ENB but I get frequent mailings - I think it originated when I entered the advent calendar promotion many years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

That's not good Bridie.  I dropped my Friends membership many years ago but several years ago I signed up to get emails and I do get them, including the recent one about casting.

Thanks Jan - that's good to know. I've just emailed them to ask if I can still receive emails even though I'm no longer a Friend.

• Like 1

I get regular emails from ENB and have never been a Friend.  I think I just said 'yes' many years ago when purchasing a tickets and was asked whether I wanted to be on their email list.  I must say though that I always get the info here before an email arrives!  :)

• Like 3

I just went to order tickets for the matinee on January 18th but it says it's a schools matinee.  So it seems the public can go at the same time.  Has anyone ever been to one of these performances and if so what's it like?  I don't want to have to listen to bored kids talking and giggling throughout the performance!!  I know that's a generalisation, but just would like some opinions as I've never been to a schools/public show before!  It's weird because none of the areas of the House seem to be blocked out for schools...tickets are on sale as per usual.  Some of kind of mistake?

1 minute ago, alison said:

No mistake, Sim - it's what they usually do.  I think I've been to one in the past - don't remember it being particularly disruptive, but of course it might depend on the school.

Is it only one school they invite?

27 minutes ago, Sim said:

It’s a matinee in term time which means school groups can and are encouraged to attend (probably at a group discount) as part of the outreach programme. It’s flagged up as such so the general public are aware that there may be more enthusiasm (eg to Romeo & Juliet kissing or  a different audience response or behaviour if they book for this performance than say at an evening performance where, at least until recently, a certain modicum of decorum was observed.
With the Coli relaxing its entrance and exit rules during a performance, the selling of popcorn and taking of drinks into the auditorium, I’d say that the lines have become increasingly blurred. 
For a previous performance which subsequently became a schools matinee after I had booked I think I received an email alerting me to the change and saying that the make up of the audience might be different to my usual expectations and offering me a change of date. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I just went to order tickets for the matinee on January 18th but it says it's a schools matinee.  So it seems the public can go at the same time.  Has anyone ever been to one of these performances and if so what's it like?  I don't want to have to listen to bored kids talking and giggling throughout the performance!!  I know that's a generalisation, but just would like some opinions as I've never been to a schools/public show before!  It's weird because none of the areas of the House seem to be blocked out for schools...tickets are on sale as per usual.  Some of kind of mistake?

I went to one years ago to catch a Giselle cast (Sarah McIlroy and Zhanat Atymtayev - both superb) who didn't have another show at a suitable time for me.  Some of the schoolboys were a bit wriggly, except when Zhan was on stage, but not noisy or unduly disturbing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sim said:

I get regular emails from ENB and have never been a Friend.  I think I just said 'yes' many years ago when purchasing a tickets and was asked whether I wanted to be on their email list.  I must say though that I always get the info here before an email arrives!  :)

I think that ENB makes a point of revealing news to Patrons and Friends first - or, as they put it, to their "most valued customers"!

However, communications with those of us who pay a subscription have been sporadic and poor for several years now, to the extent that I wonder what the several staff assigned to that role are doing with their time.

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I have been to a lot of schools matinees over the years and I have to say, for the most part, the school children behave much better than most adults (especially these days!).  The schools have usually had some input, such as a workshop, from ENB before arrival, so they usually know the plot of what they are about to see.  I love the fact that they know to be quiet as soon as the conductor appears!  In the last few I have attended, they are not allowed food during the performance but get their 'goody bags' during the interval.  At the end of the interval, one of the supervising adults collects each and every bag.  Because of the way the tickets are distributed, I have often found myself next to or behind members of a school party and it is rather wonderful to experience the spontaneity of their responses, not to mention engagement by almost all of them, and their extremely enthusiastic applause at the end. The first one I remember attending was ENB's "Manon" in 2009 and you could have heard a pin drop in the last scene! 

• Like 8

17 hours ago, LinMM said:

I’ve only just realised I’ve got some extra planning to do unless I change dates of performances I was hoping to attend or I’ll have a luggage issue with the Coli!! 
I won’t be able to take my wheely into the auditorium which I’d have with me on both the days I was thinking of as there’s no longer a cloakroom! 
I need a rethink …good job it’s not until January! 

LinMM, a few seasons ago pre-Covid we used to book a table for dinner before an ENB Coliseum performance (not to be extravagant but because we had come from somewhere else and needed to get dinner) - compared to eating elsewhere en route (apart from fast food joints) the restaurant was very reasonably priced if we didn’t go crazy ordering wine or lots of sides. The restaurant allowed us to leave coats and bags at our table (the usual advice about not leaving anything very expensive or valuable) and they were untouched when we returned so I’m sure a wheelie case would have been fine. Might be worth having a look at the Coliseum website re: dining to see if that might be of help to you? 

By the way, slight digression but I remember you getting hassle from one usher at ROH  before a show about checking in your small backpack- I think I came across this usher too! I had the misfortune to reply politely when she said “good evening” when I walked in - I must stop being polite in the west End; it’s getting hazardous - and she looked at my bag, which has never been asked to be checked in even with Royal family present, and said I ought to check it in. I was of course appalled and was not going to do it. I asked her if I was going to be barred from the auditorium if I didn’t, and she said no, I wouldn’t, but it would be too big if I put more stuff inside....at which point I assured her I wouldn’t buy a single programme or gift shop merchandise to make it any bigger, and walked off. She looked a bit bewildered, as though mulling over whether she really ought to have discouraged a patron from spending money, and I giggled to myself (of course I’ll buy a programme if I want to!)......later on I saw someone walking into the Floral/Paul Hamlyn Hall with a massive backpack who had obviously been allowed through. I think it’s just this one staff member who seems obsessed with medium sized bags! I am sure we both encountered the same person! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sim said:

It’s open to all schools to book groups to attend. Unlike the ROH ones, the teachers/schools just book tickets like the public do if they book for a group attending together. I’ve been to several ENB shows in the last six years designated school matinees, and somewhat disappointingly, never seen any school groups at all. Just asking around friends as well as my own family, many schools nowadays don’t seem to offer ballets as school trips even when the prices are affordable or even very low, despite programmes very accessible and enjoyable for first time attendees who are children. I know some schools do ballot for the RB sponsored (Taylor, Hamlyn etc) schools matinees that aren’t open to the public, though these are clearly much lower priced for the attendees (and their information for teachers/parents seem to suggest that they can only go once in x number of years, then they offer it to other schools that haven’t been).

The greatest number of school groups tend to be at West End musicals (that’s what we and our friends get offered as well) at prices far more expensive than ENB or BRB etc performances. Occasional symphony concerts by orchestras. No opera either, although there are occasional opera workshops by singers and musicians in the schools. A lot of plays, which vary in price depending on the production, but most are higher priced than ENB. This isn’t just one school, it’s a lot of schools that have the same practice. Quite disappointing considering some venues (eg Wigmore Hall) and ENO even offer free tickets for school age children. 

The school groups at classical performances I’ve seen have been very decorous and well behaved, but the ones attending West End musicals that I had the misfortune of being in the same row with tend to behave like they’re at a theme park- quite overexcited and noisy. Perhaps ENB, being cautious and unsure if they will get well behaved groups or the over excited ones, issue the caveat to avoid anyone being disappointed. The groups tend to book in the equivalent of the Coliseum’s upper circle and balcony, but not Dress Circle or Stalls. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

By the way, slight digression but I remember you getting hassle from one usher at ROH  before a show about checking in your small backpack- I think I came across this usher too! I had the misfortune to reply politely when she said “good evening” when I walked in - I must stop being polite in the west End; it’s getting hazardous - and she looked at my bag, which has never been asked to be checked in even with Royal family present, and said I ought to check it in. I was of course appalled and was not going to do it. I asked her if I was going to be barred from the auditorium if I didn’t, and she said no, I wouldn’t, but it would be too big if I put more stuff inside....at which point I assured her I wouldn’t buy a single programme or gift shop merchandise to make it any bigger, and walked off. She looked a bit bewildered, as though mulling over whether she really ought to have discouraged a patron from spending money, and I giggled to myself (of course I’ll buy a programme if I want to!)......later on I saw someone walking into the Floral/Paul Hamlyn Hall with a massive backpack who had obviously been allowed through. I think it’s just this one staff member who seems obsessed with medium sized bags! I am sure we both encountered the same person! 

That sounds like my experience a few weeks ago.  It was really annoying, given the number of times I'd taken that same backpack in without it being queried.  I did wonder, though, if they were afraid of a Just Stop Oil protest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sim said:

I think I posted previously of a schools performance of Jewels I attended at the ROH a while ago. I didn't think Jewels a great ballet for teenagers but they were were entranced. Gasps when the curtain rose and quiet during performance. In the interval it was amusing to see the girls trying to get en pointe in their clumpy school shoes and the boys going up and down the escalators, exploring the building. At the end I thought the ceiling would lift with the cheers and shouting and foot stamping. I'm sure some of them would be back which is what we want. The ROH recently posted a few clips of a school performance and the faces of the children and gasps of amazement just at the auditorium were very moving and I'm sure it will be the same at the Coli. If your only experience of performance is cinema or TV an elaborate auditorium and live orchestra must be amazing. I'm going to that performance too and I'm really looking forward to it, for the children's reaction as well as the ballet.

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Starting with the Carlos and Australian Ballet performances, I have noticed signs around the ROH stating that large bags must be left in the free cloakroom and will not be allowed in the auditorium.

How do they define large bags though? Would that apply to an average rucksack?

Well at the Linbury any bag bigger than a handbag was my observation if you encountered certain ushers!! 
There’s probably some confusion in the advice given to them about exact bag sizes to exclude. Anyway now I know I will include my waist thingy in my small backpack just in case ….it was having nothing to put glasses and purse hairbrush etc in which was annoying rather than having to put in cloakroom as wasn’t prepared! 

Well I’ve made the decision to do an extra trip up to London now for Giselle so have booked the first night on 11th with Khaniukova/Arrieta cast ( my no.1 choice) and will book a second cast later in the Autumn. 
Because I got a good discount being a Friend I’ve treated myself to Dress Circle though have never ever sat there before ….but hoping to avoid any popcorn eaters for at least this performance and have avoided the baggage issue by going up pre term. 

As my London days may be changing in January anyway I will book once I know for sure ( probably not until October) but am looking at Shiori Kase, Emma Hawes, and new Chinese dancer Sangeun Lee as other possible Giselles ….although if my days do end up changing then Frola could come back on the scene as he would have been my Albrecht of choice but can only choose one other performance 🤔

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

How do they define large bags though? Would that apply to an average rucksack?

This is what it says on the website:

"Our cloakrooms are only open for those attending a performance or going on a tour. Larger bags and backpacks need to be checked into our complimentary cloakrooms."

https://www.roh.org.uk/visit/visitor-information)  

It's not clear if they mean any backpack or just larger ones.  I imagine that the signs (warning that these bags will not be allowed into the auditorium) are too new for this rule to have been added to the information on the website.

19 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I think I posted previously of a schools performance of Jewels I attended at the ROH a while ago. I didn't think Jewels a great ballet for teenagers but they were were entranced. Gasps when the curtain rose and quiet during performance. In the interval it was amusing to see the girls trying to get en pointe in their clumpy school shoes and the boys going up and down the escalators, exploring the building. At the end I thought the ceiling would lift with the cheers and shouting and foot stamping. I'm sure some of them would be back which is what we want. The ROH recently posted a few clips of a school performance and the faces of the children and gasps of amazement just at the auditorium were very moving and I'm sure it will be the same at the Coli. If your only experience of performance is cinema or TV an elaborate auditorium and live orchestra must be amazing. I'm going to that performance too and I'm really looking forward to it, for the children's reaction as well as the ballet.

Thanks Joan...you have convinced me!  I have just bought my ticket.  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sim said:

Thanks Joan...you have convinced me!  I have just bought my ticket.  :)

Hope it works out for both of us, Sim. Perhaps I just struck lucky but it was a performance I remember for the children rather than the ballet. Hopefully those in charge will confiscate mobiles and ban chatter, but from my experience it was so new to the children they were enthralled.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bluebird said:

This is what it says on the website:

"Our cloakrooms are only open for those attending a performance or going on a tour. Larger bags and backpacks need to be checked into our complimentary cloakrooms."

https://www.roh.org.uk/visit/visitor-information)  

It's not clear if they mean any backpack or just larger ones.  

Quite.  Totally ambiguous.  In the absence of a comma after "bags", I read it as "larger backpacks".

I’m not sure why this topic has taken over this thread but here’s my tuppence worth.
While accepting that everyone’s circumstances differ, both because I love being ‘hands free’ whilst in the ROH but also as a courtesy to those sitting around me, I put anything I don’t need during my time at the ROH in the cloakroom on arrival. Tripping over coats, bags, yoga mats, picnics, potted plants etc etc etc and/or getting dirty looks when I ask politely people to keep their belongings in their space is a negative experience.
I cherish the free and still relatively spacious ROH cloakrooms and encourage their use by one and all as often as possible. It is easy to retrieve something during the interval if needed.  When I know time is going to be tight for me at the end of a performance I might collect my things at the end of the last interval to aid a swift departure. 
As is often said, “If you don’t use it, you risk losing it”.  Half the cloakroom capacity was lost during the ‘Open Up’ remodelling and if not ‘supported’ by patrons the ROH cloakrooms risk becoming a thing of the past as has happened at the Coliseum. 

• Like 4