NYCB at Sadler's Wells - 07-10 March 2024

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see that NYCB note that they will be 'streaming' the programme they did in Madrid - 

In 2024 PBS will stream and broadcast the US Premiere of “New York City Ballet in Madrid,” an evening of three ballets – Balanchine’s Serenade and Square Dance, and Peck’s The Times Are Racing – recorded at the Teatro Real in the Spanish capital in March 2023. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Nice to see that NYCB note that they will be 'streaming' the programme they did in Madrid - 

In 2024 PBS will stream and broadcast the US Premiere of “New York City Ballet in Madrid,” an evening of three ballets – Balanchine’s Serenade and Square Dance, and Peck’s The Times Are Racing – recorded at the Teatro Real in the Spanish capital in March 2023. 

Suppose it won't be available in the UK?

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Suppose it won't be available in the UK?

Might be...

Welcome to PBS America, the British television channel from America's Public Broadcasting Service, available on Freeview 84, Freesat 155, Virgin Media 273, Sky 174, Samsung TV Plus and on-demand with Freeview Play and our Amazon UK channel.

The press release says 2024; looking at other commitments, I think the only possible dates are:

4th to 17th March

25th March to 21st April (the latter part very unlikely?)

After 9th June

I won't be booking any holidays during these dates. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have made the same calculation, Lizbie1. I would think the summer is more likely than late spring. I think the Company usually does its Saratoga season soon after the NY season ends in June so perhaps early July.

ENB is scheduled at SWT 27 March to 6 April so that slot's out.

I wonder if they'll bring the new ballet Tiler Peck is due to create given she was such a great favourite in her recent season at the Wells. Personally I'd rather have mostly Balanchine and Robbins, plus a Ratmansky and Peck (Justin).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Two ideas on the above - 

(i)  NYCB finishes it Winter Season at State Theater on 3rd March.  They are then appearing with the following programme at the Harris Theatre in Chicago's lovely Millennium Park between 21st and 23rd March 2024.  

Masters at Work: Balanchine + Robbins
Peter Ilyitch Tschaikovsky / George Balanchine — Serenade
Frédéric Chopin / Jerome Robbins — In the Night
Paul Hindemith / George Balanchine — The Four Temperaments

I was wondering if they might present the same programme at Sadler's Wells for an equal length of time - or perhaps a day longer - say, 15th to 18th March.

(ii) Prior to the pandemic there was a plan to bring a number of NYCB dancers to the Wells with Peck's Rotunda (a 12 dancer ballet to music by Nico Muhly) as part of a programme mixed with other artists from other companies.  Perhaps they are planning to revive those plans.  Rotunda - which I enjoyed when I saw its premiere performances in February 2020 - just before the pandemic - IS in the NYCB Summer Season 2024, so it makes sense that it would be placed here - much as they did rep for the current Summer Season recently in their half week Madrid tour last month.   Indeed I had heard from a NYCB patron during the recent Winter season that there had been 'talk' of reviving those specific plans - given that funds had already been raised for that same.  That, too, would account for the mention of NYCB's appearance at the Wells in 2024 in the NYCB announcement.  This, too, I understand was an idea originally fostered by the Well's leadership so that too might give the idea credence.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great news and some great detective work! 

narrowing down the dates people noted above are these the options? 

4-17 March

6-21 April

9 June onwards 

Does anyone have a sense of when dates might be confirmed, and if we’re looking at a short run (3 nights or less) or maybe 5 nights to even a week? When was the last time NYCB toured to the U.K.? 

Very excited. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

2008 at the Coliseum.  Sadly many of the programmes were sadly lacking in significant audience numbers.  

I was very, very disappointed not to be able to go that year. That said, the Coliseum as primarily an opera theatre for ENO is very difficult for classical ballet companies to sell unless they already have a pre-existing arrangement eg ENB doing Nutcracker and another classic there annually in December and January, Bolshoi Ballet for a few consecutive summers years ago. (Special - or extraordinary - events like Ivan Putrov’s Dance for Ukraine that did sell out were publicised differently.) Even popular performances like a BRB visit or Sylvie Guillem don’t sell as quickly as at Sadler’s Wells. This can be advantageous for shows  that are fast sellers as it ends up easier for a fan to obtain good seats for the Coliseum than for SWT!

I must admit that I was surprised that NYCB/Martins had opted for the Coliseum, as I thought SWT, being more modern, suited the NYCB image more, and of course would have a knowledgeable fan base who admire NYCB. The other venue that I thought more suitable was ROH, given NYCB’s equal stature in the dance and arts world to that of RB- especially with RB having a lot of NYCB works in their repertory and also a loyal fan base that also know about and admire NYCB. I wonder if it was down to costs- is the Coliseum cheaper to hire than SWT and ROH? 

Not the entire company, but Sara Mearns and several NYCB colleagues were due to fly over to perform Justin Peck’s new Rotunda in March 2020 but the performances were cancelled due to Covid restrictions making their travel abroad impossible. Then very shortly after that, the prime minister closed all theatres abruptly on 16 March anyway. In any case, I’m very pleased that it’s SWT this time, and I am sure they’ll sell far better than 2008. Hope they bring a lot of Balanchine and Robbins works that haven’t been seen much here, eg preferably not Serenade/In the Night/The Four Temperaments, which have been performed by RB fairly recently (and I’d prefer one of Peck’s older works rather than Rotunda). That said, so rare to get NYCB over here, so really, anything would be fine as long as they come here! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, alison said:

2015-the cast included Edward Watson and Vadim Muntagirov 🙂.

Would love them to bring works not performed here for over 25 years or never ever seen, eg Square Dance, La Source, Raymonda Variations, Balanchine’s The Firebird, Chaconne, Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto no 2, Monumentum pro Gesualdo & Movements for Piano and Orchestra,  Robbins’s In G Major, Goldberg Variations, Other Dances, Glass Pieces, Brandenburg, Fancy Free, Requiem Canticles, etc. Of course, it depends on what they have already prepared, what costumes they can bring etc.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

When was the last time NYCB toured to the U.K.? 

2008 at the Coliseum.  Sadly many of the programmes were sadly lacking in significant audience numbers.  

I remember the small audiences at the Coliseum, I went to the Saturday matinee and evening and in the time between went to Harrods and bought my lovely still working opera glasses, strange how the memory works (sometimes).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Not the entire company, but Sara Mearns and several NYCB colleagues were due to fly over to perform Justin Peck’s new Rotunda in March 2020 but the performances were cancelled due to Covid restrictions making their travel abroad impossible. Then very shortly after that, the prime minister closed all theatres abruptly on 16 March anyway. In any case, I’m very pleased that it’s SWT this time, and I am sure they’ll sell far better than 2008. Hope they bring a lot of Balanchine and Robbins works that haven’t been seen much here, eg preferably not Serenade/In the Night/The Four Temperaments, which have been performed by RB fairly recently (and I’d prefer one of Peck’s older works rather than Rotunda). That said, so rare to get NYCB over here, so really, anything would be fine as long as they come here! 

This is the programme I referenced in my note above, i.e., (and here I'm quoting myself):

(ii) Prior to the pandemic there was a plan to bring a number of NYCB dancers to the Wells with Peck's Rotunda (a 12 dancer ballet to music by Nico Muhly) as part of a programme mixed with other artists from other companies.  Perhaps they are planning to revive those plans.  Rotunda - which I enjoyed when I saw its premiere performances in February 2020 - just before the pandemic - IS in the NYCB Summer Season 2024, so it makes sense that it would be placed here - much as they did rep for the current Summer Season recently in their half week Madrid tour last month.   Indeed I had heard from a NYCB patron during the recent Winter season that there had been 'talk' of reviving those specific plans - given that funds had already been raised for that same.  That, too, would account for the mention of NYCB's appearance at the Wells in 2024 in the NYCB announcement.  This, too, I understand was an idea originally fostered by the Well's leadership so that too might give the idea credence.  

My hunch is it is THIS PROGRAMME that NYCB will be dancing - and it will be ONLY 'Rotunda' (i.e., no other works by NYCB) as it will no doubt be a reinstating of the original programme the SW's creative team had assembled.  March makes sense - much as it was scheduled last time - as noted above.  Sara Mearns is happily back dancing now.  She was onstage last night at State Theater.  Here is a clip from the SW's Facebook page sampling the same - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=774478163074484.  The original cast was: Sara Mearns, Miriam Miller, Sara Adams, Claire Kretzschmar, Brittany Pollack, Unity Phelan, Gonzalo Garcia, Andrew Scordato, Adrian Danchig-Waring, Daniel Ulbricht, Jovani Furlan, Gilbert Bolden III.  Sadly the lovely Claire Kretzschmar and Gonazlo Garcia are no longer dancing with the Company.  Jovani Furlan, of course, appeared in Tiler Peck's ballet in her programme at the Wells.  All other dancers are still current.  I can well see this as being something that would happily fit in the SW's remit.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 3 weeks later...

Running Time

2 hours 15 minutes (including two 20 minute intervals)

Thursday 7 March 2:30

Thursday 7 March 7:30

Friday 8 March 7:30

Saturday 9 March 2:30

Saturday 9 March 7:30

Sunday 10 March 2:00

Rotunda

Justin Peck’s Rotunda, featuring a commissioned score from acclaimed American composer Nico Muhly, creates an overarching sense of community through punctuated mirroring and ensemble groupings, inspiring reflection, delight, and intrigue.

Duo Concertant

An animated dance for a neoclassical couple, the dancers periodically stop and listen to the onstage musicians before ending with a poignant scene in a pool of light on a dark stage. Based on the composition by Igor Stravinsky, George Balanchine premiered Duo Concertant at NYCB’s Stravinsky Festival in 1972.

Gustave Le Gray No.1

Set to Caroline Shaw’s piano composition “Gustave Le Gray”, four dancers in flowing, vibrant red costumes repeat sharp yet sweeping phrases and interact with the onstage pianist, who continues to play even as they move the grand piano and musician from one side of the stage to the other.

Love Letter (on shuffle)

Kyle Abraham reunites the pop stylings of singer, songwriter, and producer James Blake and eye-catching costume designs by Giles Deacon, inspiring the NYCB dancers to new physical and emotional heights in a mashup of phenomenal classical feats and contemporary swagger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2