NYCB at Sadler's Wells - 07-10 March 2024

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at this again, the casting has obviously been very carefully handled.  This is usually break time for many of the dancers.  You have to remember they dance more rep than any other company on earth.  I was thinking on Sunday just how exhausted they MUST be.  Of the corps dancers set to appear in London (and there are no apprentices on this occasion) there is only one (Jules Mabie) who is in two ballets and that ONLY I assume because he is filling in for Furlan in his original role in Rotunda and Furlan would, of course, also have been doing the Duo Concertant with Woodward as he has in the past instead of Stanley - and also because Mabie did the role opposite Stanley in Love Letter at the time of both of their debuts) - and, indeed, many of the soloists (and a few principals) only have one commitment - most noticeably Nadon who is onstage at each performance for about a quarter of an hour only.  This is clearly - in a way - giving them something of a break from their normal NYC schedules while in London.  I'm sure they will be appreciative.  THEY SO DESERVE IT - and deserve a chance to enjoy the British capital.  They'll have a grand time I'm sure.  I hope the weather is good for them.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Here's Mira Nadon (as sadly you won't see her - well, her body - in London) in Tiler's new ballet with the wonderful Chun Wei Chan - https://www.instagram.com/p/C3dO3uurj9T/   He and Nadon are the first dancers to actually dance in Ratmansky's Solitude.  It is so, so significantly telling.  

Here's Tiler Peck with Chun Wei Chan in the roles they created in a PDD in the second movement (to the Appalachian Spring Music) of Justin Peck's Copeland Episodes - https://www.instagram.com/p/C3S-vs4Ll8B/

Here's Chun with the lovely Unity Phelan in Wheeldon's Polyphonia - his first NYCB work - (which the Royal have also done under a different Director) - https://www.instagram.com/p/C2xs00XOOJj/

and what do NYCB principals do to prepare for 1st Movement, SiC - I think you'd be surprised - 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CzwMUa2rNSF/

Enjoy.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

See that ALL the NYCB performances (short of the Thursday matinee which has 'limited availability) are SOLD OUT.  Spalding obvously clearly knew what he needed to do to appeal to his dedicated UK audience.  Well done him.  Credit where credit is due.  

Or, in my case at least, I'm going simply because it's NYCB and more in spite of rather than because of the programme. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Or, in my case at least, I'm going simply because it's NYCB and more in spite of rather than because of the programme. 

Same here and I am sure we are not alone.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

See that ALL the NYCB performances (short of the Thursday matinee which has 'limited availability) are SOLD OUT.  Spalding obvously clearly knew what he needed to do to appeal to his dedicated UK audience.  Well done him.  Credit where credit is due.  

don't panic Mr Mainwaring, the Wells seems to have a habit of showing 'sold out' and then releasing additional tickets (perhaps house or agency ones), albeit not many and not necessarily cheap, in the week running up to a performance. my advice, keep checking the website if you want to go.

that said, yes, credit to Spalding for his Friends/Members 20% discount on tickets which makes it possible to take a chance on the unknown, and to Barclays Bank for its generous young people's Dance Pass scheme for getting bums on seats where shows are harder to shift.

more generally Ballet/Dance seems to be back in favour in London with the Kevin O'Hare & ROH having a very successful run with Nutcracker, Manon & Swan Lake sell outs not forgetting the recent ENB Nutcracker & Skeaping Giselle sellouts or thereabouts for Aaron S.Watkins. all hail ballet at its finest.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Me three. 

Me four.  I'm going to the Saturday matinee so unfortunately will not be able to see Sara Mearns, but I'm very happy with the casting otherwise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

Yep - for me this is my first time seeing any of NYCB live, apart from the Tiler Peck performance in March last year which was hugely popular. I booked without checking the programme.

• Like 2

On 27/02/2024 at 09:52, PeterS said:

don't panic Mr Mainwaring, the Wells seems to have a habit of showing 'sold out' and then releasing additional tickets (perhaps house or agency ones), albeit not many and not necessarily cheap, in the week running up to a performance. my advice, keep checking the website if you want to go.

that said, yes, credit to Spalding for his Friends/Members 20% discount on tickets which makes it possible to take a chance on the unknown, and to Barclays Bank for its generous young people's Dance Pass scheme for getting bums on seats where shows are harder to shift.

A young relative who is now old enough to qualify for the Barclays Dance Pass tells me that the NYCB allocation of tickets for BDP (dictated by the company or impresario and not the bank) is pretty useless unless you're unemployed or loafing around because the allocation is only for Thursday afternoon, which is when BDP holders are at school, university/college or work, and cannot play truant just to attend a ballet. (Unless, coincidentally, you happen to have a very light university course timetable where you have a free Thursday afternoon in addition to the usual free Wednesday afternoon and your university just happens to be near Sadler's Wells so that you can get there right after lectures/tutorials.)  There are no BDP tickets for any of the evenings or the Saturday matinee. But PeterS is right that some tickets often come back or get released nearer the day of each show. 

Edited by Emeralds

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

A young relative who is now old enough to qualify for the Barclays Dance Pass tells me that the NYCB allocation of tickets for BDP (dictated by the company or impresario and not the bank) is pretty useless unless you're unemployed or loafing around because the allocation is only for Thursday afternoon, which is when BDP holders are at school, university/college or work, and cannot play truant just to attend a ballet. (Unless, coincidentally, you happen to have a very light university course timetable where you have a free Thursday afternoon in addition to the usual free Wednesday afternoon and your university just happens to be near Sadler's Wells so that you can get there right after lectures/tutorials.)  There are no BDP tickets for any of the evenings or the Saturday matinee. But PeterS is right that some tickets often come back or get released nearer the day of each show. 

There was definitely an initial allocation of BDP tickets for the evening and weekend shows - I have one for the Thursday night! I did book what feels like a lifetime ago though, probably around when they went onsale. Really looking forward to it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tiltwithlips said:

There was definitely an initial allocation of BDP tickets for the evening and weekend shows - I have one for the Thursday night! I did book what feels like a lifetime ago though, probably around when they went onsale. Really looking forward to it. 

Well done! You must have been very quick! I'm not sure my relative booked when they went on sale. 

Got 2 Barclays dance pass for offspring plus one full price sat alongside for the Saturday night - but did book literally the second they’d gone in sale months back! Not sure I’m going to be able to take up my full price seat (working on the idea of asking for chance to go as a Mothers Day ‘gift’ of time off!!) So, if I can’t make it will of course offer up ticket for sale in relevant forum here! 

• Like 1

May I ask @Bruce Wall or @Jeannette, or anyone who has seen Pam Tanowitz's Gustave le Gray no 1....the original Miami City Ballet cast and the first  NYCB cast both had 2 women and 2 men dancing the ballet while on tour one cast has 3 women and 1 men dancing it while the second cast has four women and no men dancing it? Is this one of those wishy washy items where the dancing is simplistic so either men or women can do it....a bit like company class exercises at the barre...?? So I presume the ballet has no proper partnering either. Or is it a huge mistake/typo? 

(I know I did say I was happy to watch the company doing class but surely not easy peasy steps that could be done by anyone. Granted, I'm sure Mira Nadon, Emily Kikta, Adrian Danchig-Waring, Ruby Lister and Naomi Corti  look wonderful doing RAD grade 3  exercises- I just didn't expect them to fly thousands of miles just to do that.)  

I've also just realised that one of their young principals who was acclaimed in their current season and last season, Chun Wai Chan, isn’t on the cast lists so presumably he isn't coming. That's disappointing.

Edited by Emeralds

In haste, @Emeralds Gustave is an asexual exploration .... a literal movable feast.  The performers are in literal bags - well, baggy fashion togs.  There's a conversation it seems ... but its sadly disjointed.  It's not - to my mind - a ballet per se.  That the divine Mira Nadon should ONLY be in this makes me question why she's there in London in the first place.  A waste in so many ways - given that she really wasn't seen to much advantage in Tiler's programme - being a late replacement for India Bradely - who was, of course, featured in Tiler's new NYCB ballet - as was Mira (both in the first cast). 

From today's Stars - Kikta led the Tall Girl campaign.  It was clear that something was amiss.  She looked strained and it was - as is certainly not her wont - effortful.  She will have done so few performances this season (4) - I did enjoy her Choleric - much as I did Mira Nadon's in 4Ts.  Seeing Kikta this afternoon, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if she doesn't dance the same role tomorrow afternoon and doesn't come to London.  Something is just not right.

Again, - as someone said to me recently - the Sadler's bill is one 'you would never see at State Theater'.  I think you have to bear that in mind.

Chun Wei Chan is a MAGNIFICENT DANCER.  Sadly he was never scheduled to come on this little  'tour'.  I'm sure he is appreciative of a small break - as will many others be.  They SO deserve it.  Chun is currently in Wheeldon's Carnival of Animals.  I fear it doesn't bare repeat viewing/reviving - well, not by NYCB.  This is twee to a point of ridiculousness ... almost at points of boredom.  It doesn't have the elaborate costumes and scenery that the Royal would populate it with given the largess of governmental support.  It is very much PRE-Alice.  You can understand why it is revived so, SO very rarely.  A good thing too.  Even the star that is Sara Mearns manages to have the life sucked out of her.  Chun is fine - as a professor who is - in a child's imagination locked in a Museum of National History - turned into a lion.  There is never much meat for anyone to grab hold of.  It is, in a sense, a sad way to end this season - or so I think.  Also with Stars now opening the programme - there is an overindulgence of balletic sweeteners.  An evening can simply too saccharine.  Balanchine above all knew how to build 'his balletic meals'.  Stars has never before 'come first'.  

Thank heavens then for Danny.  He led the men's campaign in Stars this afternoon as he has so many times before - no small feat - and was TOTALLY STELLAR.  As in last night's Tarantella with the ever winning Emma Von Enck (sadly not coming either) his placement was SUPREME.  He makes things look just so damned easy and oh, so magical.  Certainly more than Roman did last night or this afternoon - different roles of course.  That said I love all Roman's little extras - the befores and afters from the main meal that is - the furtive winks (he reminds me at times of Ricky Riccardo) and extra salutes ... but they go for nothing if the main fixtures can at times appear wayward.  'Ooops', you almost seem to hear him say.  Sorry, Roman, you make us notice based on your previous stellar promise.  Where is the thrill you showed in Tiler's ballet??? I can only think he is, actually, not completely healed from whatever it was that ailed him. 

In many ways now, I think Tiler was wise to put out of this weekend.  From the tenor of her notice, I really won't be surprised if she does the same for London.  It sounded very much like she 'needed time'.  She deserves it.  When she HAS performed - and she has done a wide range of roles it has to be said - it has been amazing.  Better for London to wait and see her - perhaps in a programme she agan curates at the Wells - but most certainly see her in full bloom.  The lovely Alexa Maxwell will do just fine in Love Letter. 

Watching the first and second Campaigns of the last two nights I kept thinking of all the girls in the corps - so many - who I'd have preferred to see get these opportunities - the MT MacKinnons, certainly the Alston McGills of the pack.  NYCB - like the Royal - are so rich with talent in their ranks; ones able to deliver - at their best - on the full promised of each of their  respective Company's now established current idioms.  That is NOT what you are going to see at the Wells.  Not at all.  We can't complain.  Clearly that was NEVER Spalding's intent.  Whatever he proposed has worked with the ticket sales ... and that in and of itself is never (especially now) an easy task/ask given the specific point in time we find ourselves in now.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Thanks 1

Want to finish this strand with something special - All season inside  - indeed outside during the previous one - there has been an 'art exhibit' called 'Slow Dancing'.  This was where an artist copiously filmed/photographed NYCB dancers doing a range of NYCB works (There is a picture of Cameron Grant in Love Letter - but I don't think he will be coming as he has been injured).  These were with dancers who were available at the time.   There were many debuts in this mix certainly.  You see them in multiple roles and then the artists put huge screen segments up in slow motion - always in threes so you were always surrounded by enormous images - just so you could admire the artistry.  It has proven highly successful with NYCB audiences. 

https://www.nycballet.com/discover/special-projects/slowdancing-nycb

Today's final matinee ended on a high.  The lovely Sara Adams (who IS coming to London) led the first campaign in Stars and Emily Kikta positively glowed leading the second.  She was oh, so much more relaxed and assured than yesterday afternoon.  Danny Ulbrecht again led the men spectacularly.  How I wish you could see this.  Danny's over 40 .. You have to wonder how he has the capacity to dance as much as he does.  I remember the great joy when Muntagirov did eight sparkling double tours throughout a menage during his second La Bayadere variation.  Wonderful it was too (and I sincerely hope we might get a chance to see him do it again in London before he retires.)  Just imagine the thrill then of having an entire stage of men doing EXACTLY THAT very same combination in stunning unison.  It literally takes your breath away.  Danny is such a good sport - in Stars' final movement he literally has to partner both soloist women - sometimes simultaneously - and believe it or not he ONLY comes up to about Kikta's breast when she is on point.  You could see they were having a wonderful time as were Roman and the dazzling Mira (sadly she'll be in a Gustave bag in London) as the Captain and his Liberty Bell.  Balanchine's tongue was decidedly in his check on this one - but ALWAYS in fiercely classical mode.  Talk about difficult!!! - This was decidedly built to test.  The Tschai PDD was so glorious today too with the lovely Indiana Woodward (be prepared to be charmed ... She is just SOOOO French) and the fleet of foot Anthony Huxley.  They relaxed into the whole and this PDD very much built with the music.  (So often it can stray into being a specific sum of its defining parts - given the nature of the construct.)  Today it had a defining build and was all the better for it.  Even Wheldon's absurd Carnival of Animals was tolerable - with the truly spectacular Chun Wei Chan amazing all and sundry with his seemingly never ending rounds of perfect tours a la seconde (minus the Roman hops it must be said) in his lion outfit.  The little lad near me in a full capacity State Theatre - the one dressed as a green dinosaur - was certainly having a whale of a time - as was I.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

On 02/03/2024 at 14:44, Emeralds said:

May I ask @Bruce Wall or @Jeannette, or anyone who has seen Pam Tanowitz's Gustave le Gray no 1....the original Miami City Ballet cast and the first  NYCB cast both had 2 women and 2 men dancing the ballet while on tour one cast has 3 women and 1 men dancing it while the second cast has four women and no men dancing it? Is this one of those wishy washy items where the dancing is simplistic so either men or women can do it....a bit like company class exercises at the barre...?? So I presume the ballet has no proper partnering either. Or is it a huge mistake/typo? 

(I know I did say I was happy to watch the company doing class but surely not easy peasy steps that could be done by anyone. Granted, I'm sure Mira Nadon, Emily Kikta, Adrian Danchig-Waring, Ruby Lister and Naomi Corti  look wonderful doing RAD grade 3  exercises- I just didn't expect them to fly thousands of miles just to do that.)  

I've also just realised that one of their young principals who was acclaimed in their current season and last season, Chun Wai Chan, isn’t on the cast lists so presumably he isn't coming. That's disappointing.

I saw it at the Kennedy Center when it premiered in 2019.  Miami and DTHarlem, I believe.  It was the most boring piece of DEI-WOKE crap that I’ve ever seen. I honestly cannot remember the number of men vs women wearing the big red bags.  Sorry, @Emeralds.

• Thanks 2

Thank you @Bruce Wall and @Jeannette.... so far, we have bags, tablecloth (my description) .... I do feel like the audience is being pranked in GLG#1! What's even worse is that the designers (actually Justin Peck's fave costume team of Harriet and Reid) can do nice costumes eg Dispatch Duet for RB, Paz de La Jolla for NYCB, etc. What a waste of the dancers' talents.

Four dancers and a piano- they could have done a solo or a pas de deux each from Goldberg Variations or Other Dances (I'm still annoyed there's no Robbins on the programme!) We get a lot of Tanowitz's work here so we're already saturated.  It sounds like what we have from her is better than GLG#1!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeannette said:

the most boring piece of DEI-WOKE crap that I’ve ever seen

DEI-WOKE??  I'd guess at some kind of Godlike alertness but I doubt that would fit the context used.   I fear that I'm increasingly defeated by today's neologisms. 

• Like 2

Ah, that's where I saw it! I had no idea either, but then oddly enough I found it in something I was reading this morning.  It's something along the lines of Diversity-Equality-Inclusivity - or some such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

Ah, that's where I saw it! I had no idea either, but then oddly enough I found it in something I was reading this morning.  It's something along the lines of Diversity-Equality-Inclusivity - or some such.

I'm now slightly curious to see if GLG1 can be DEI, although I would have thought that barre work and beginning of centre work exercises were the most DEI thing in ballet as anyone can do them and they don't involve partnering? So the beginnings of Etudes or Konservatoriet are in theory quite DEI? (I notice both ballets originated in Royal Danish Ballet which is interesting.) 

Edited by Emeralds

What is shocking is THIS is the ONLY thing the divine MIRA NADON is dancing.  How dare they put the Goddess in a boring bag.  SO UNFAIR TO LONDON BALLET AUDIENCES.  

Flying back to London last night I watched NYCB in Madrid (the same week last year that they will be performing in Chicago this year.) .... They did Square Dance there as a middle piece.  Come on, Alistair - You've got the dancers this time round - and its a SMALL number of musicians - ALL STRINGS - which you have already got for your commissioned ROTUNDA, do you not?  You've got Megan - You've got Huxley - They've done it together often enough ... You've got the glorious future star that is David Gabriel and the future principal Alexa Maxwell - They would be stellar and their debuts would be in LONDON. That's two principal couples.  What do you want??? ... Plus it has that stunning male variation that Balanchine added in 1976.  A little bird tells me that following the Sadler's relay - i.e., meeting its original target - Rotunda will be retired by NYCB.  Understandable as they have so much BETTER Peck.  Just think you could have had INCREASES - a much better work - with LESS MUSICIANS, Alistair!!!!

Have you seen the update on the NYCB casting????  NO TILER - AND EVEN WORSE - NO DANNY .... IT'S GOT SVV IN ROTUNDA TO OPEN IT .... NOT AT ALL THE SAME THING .... FAR FROM IT.   Sorry but I found him downright boring in this.  You have to remember that role was originally Gonzalo Garcia.  What about Taylor Stanley?  He's a long standing Peck muse.  Why not give it to Gilbert Bolden ... Give it Victor Abreu - Much better dancers.  That role opens and virtually closes it. ... Seems London won't see Danny AT ALL.  THAT'S A CRIME AGAINST NATURE. .... HE WAS STUNNING AT THE SUNDAY MAT IN STARS AND ON SAT NIGHT IN TARANTELLA .... HE CAN'T BE INJURED!!!   THINK i WILL SIT MOST OF THESE ONES OUT.   I've seen those more than enough, thank you very much.  NO ROMAN IN IT EITHER (HE DIDN'T DO IT IN NYC WHEN HE WAS CAST - Not surprised at this - especially with no Tiler coming.)  They're putting DJ into it - and he wasn't meant to come.  I really LIKE DJ - and he's come such a way - but this is a bit much ....  He's barely 21.   It really will be just tossed at him.  At least the other guys mentioned would have a solid sense of it.  Good luck DJ ... I'll go to those.  

As I suggested in another posting the lovely Alexa Maxell will do all of Tiler's shows in Love Letter plus her own.  The Management is (rightfully in my estimation) pushing her.  A side note:  Amar Ramasar - her partner - sweetly shows up to attend almost ALL of her performances in Manhattan.  I bet you anything he'll be in London to catch her.  If you see him standing about don't hesitate to go up and say 'hi'.  I know, I know - he was one of the nasty three - and that with reference to Alexa - but all seems made up now.  It seemed just so immature at the time ... and Amar was certainly old enough to know better .... Sure he's has grown from it ... plus he was eventually let back ... some think on a technicality ... but, hey ... .  Plus he's had his Broadway stints as Jigger in Carousel  (the dancing was SPECTACULAR - AND THAT WAS PECK'S CHOREOGRAPHY FOR WHICH HE WON HIS FIRST TONY AWARD ... Plus Amar was in the last Broadway revival of West Side Story.  He'll have lots to talk about if you engage him.  I've seen him coaching dancers at NYCB in roles he originated - and heaven knows there are lots of them - and he's always been gracious and incredibly committed in wanting to see them do their very best.  Underneath it all he seems just such a nice guy.  I have always found him entirely charming and witty.  The Paris audiences ADORED him.  Plus he's a REAL NYC lad - like Villella - Like Victor.  (And, hey, they all hail from 'da' Bronx.)  They don't grow on trees.  If you get the chance you won't be disappointed.  Promise.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Perhaps you could clarify some of the abbreviations, Bruce? I'm insufficiently familiar with the company's dancers to recognise all the names.

14 minutes ago, alison said:

Perhaps you could clarify some of the abbreviations, Bruce? I'm insufficiently familiar with the company's dancers to recognise all the names.

Which ones, Alison?  .... DJ is DJ Takahashi .... You saw him with Tiler (that's Tiler Peck) last year this time ... Danny (who you won't see) is Danny Ulbrecht ... Roman is Roman Mejia ... (as in Tiler and Roman ... wouldn't be surprised if she was actually about) ... Victor is Victor Abreu - He of the ravishing port de bras ... but I said his full name earlier in the piece.  Megan is Megan Fairchild - but if you went in 2008 you would have seen a lot of her.  Huxley is Anthony Huxley.  

Really DJ and Danny I guess ... Who else were you questioning????

Oh, I see - You mean SVV ... I was being kind.  I'm afraid he's far from my favourite dancer.  It's not that he's bad, exactly ... It's just for me he doesn't bring enough to any conversation ... His name is Sebastian Villarini-Velez.  There I've said it :)

------------------------

Oh, dear --- ERROR TIME ..... Just checked.  THERE'S NO DAVID GABRIEL .... LONDON'S LOSS.  MY BAD.  Sorry.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

A friend and I once booked to see a performance abroad.  Another friend heard and told us we wouldn't like it as it was awful!

That was very off-putting after we had shelled out for air fares, hotel, kennels for dog and, of course, theatre tickets.

While not the best thing I've ever seen we thoroughly enjoyed it!

Horses for courses.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Which ones, Alison?  .... DJ is DJ Takahashi .... You saw him with Tiler (that's Tiler Peck) last year this time ... Danny (who you won't see) is Danny Ulbrecht ... Roman is Roman Mejia ... (as in Tiler and Roman ... wouldn't be surprised if she was actually about) ... Victor is Victor Abreu - He of the ravishing port de bras ... but I said his full name earlier in the piece.  Megan is Megan Fairchild - but if you went in 2008 you would have seen a lot of her.  Huxley is Anthony Huxley.  

Really DJ and Danny I guess ... Who else were you questioning????

Oh, I see - You mean SVV ... I was being kind.  I'm afraid he's far from my favourite dancer.  It's not that he's bad, exactly ... It's just for me he doesn't bring enough to any conversation ... His name is Sebastian Villarini-Velez.  

KJ Takahashi , not DJ Takahashi  😉. He's brilliant! Saw him in Blake Works II.

I couldn't go in 2008 so I really want to see Megan Fairchild and Anthony Huxley. Will just be pleased to see the company really. 

4 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Horses for courses.

Exactly.  I don't think I ever said it was downright 'bad' .... but the pieces just don't somehow seem to show together significantly - giving it a very stop and star kind of existence.  I actually like the bit Miriam Miller and Adrian Danchig-Waring ... It's like they got a secret going ... It intrigues ... and how could one not admire Indiana Woodward in that PDT with Victor and Julie Maibe (filling in for Jovani Furlan who is injured).  Danny did make a big difference - He somehow through his own willpower held it together.  Sara Means (the originator) is telling when she's on - and Bolden's a good partner; Megan ALWAYS gives a performance in whatever the role and Peter Walker partners her well in this.  They are both completely different in it.  Just wish I liked the commissioned music more than I do.  Sadly I don't.  I've tried ... but I don't.