Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

36 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

It seems that this problem extends well  beyond the "to be expected" restricted views from certain seats or standing positions. It is  pretty serious and  frustrating for those in the "wrong" place, and I have also contacted  the ROH to ask if it can be rectified. Perhaps if enough others on the Forum did the same, we might influence the powers that be?  

I will write again.

No notice was taken of my earlier note and I am fated to miss the ‘staircase walk’ at least twice more from VERY expensive seats.

Pleeeeese folks, can we ‘inundate’ the RB with pleas for change?

• Like 5

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
10 minutes ago, capybara said:

I will write again.

No notice was taken of my earlier note and I am fated to miss the ‘staircase walk’ at least twice more from VERY expensive seats.

Pleeeeese folks, can we ‘inundate’ the RB with pleas for change?

Whom did you write to? At what address? (I've never gotten a reply or even acknowledgement to an email so wondering if I'm using the wrong address)

This might sound a little forward, but for those who go to the stage door, is it possible they could mention it to the dancers? After all, I am sure they don't want the audience to be blinded, and the principal ballerina wants her walk downstairs to be appreciated.  

• Like 1

Disappointing to hear that it seems they haven’t tested the production from all areas of the auditorium! It’s my pet peeve as a regular amphi sitter that set designs of works are clearly designed for the stalls. 

Not looking forward to this blinding light display and very much hoping I can see the famous act 2 entrance unobstructed. If not I shall certainly email in. 

I don’t think it would be fair to say something to dancers as they are not the stage designer/manager - best to email I think and then it can find it’s way to the appropriate person. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, JNC said:

I don’t think it would be fair to say something to dancers as they are not the stage designer/manager - best to email I think and then it can find it’s way to the appropriate person. 

No, they aren't, but they must be able to communicate with Mr O'Hare, surely?  Who could and should be in communication with those in the control of these issues?

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
17 minutes ago, Fonty said:

No, they aren't, but they must be able to communicate with Mr O'Hare, surely?  Who could and should be in communication with those in the control of these issues?

Wendy Ellis Somes? 

CONTACT ME

Wendy Ellis Somes

Ballet Producer

Email Mervyn initially for all ballet-related queries:

mervymaji@btinternet.com 

Edited by oncnp
at least spell her name correctly

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

It seems that this problem extends well  beyond the "to be expected" restricted views from certain seats or standing positions. It is  pretty serious and  frustrating for those in the "wrong" place, and I have also contacted  the ROH to ask if it can be rectified. Perhaps if enough others on the Forum did the same, we might influence the powers that be?  

Yes, my seats were had full views of the stage, and yet I missed all of the walking down the stairs until the last one.

I was wondering if we could write to say something, I didn't want to appear rude, but it was one of the highlights of the ballet and the seats were very expensive to not see any of it.

It felt as if we were watching those on the stage watch it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

This might sound a little forward, but for those who go to the stage door, is it possible they could mention it to the dancers? After all, I am sure they don't want the audience to be blinded, and the principal ballerina wants her walk downstairs to be appreciated.  

I don't think so, I don't think the dancers will have any say in the overall staging of it. It might just upset them because it's in no way their fault.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JNC said:

Disappointing to hear that it seems they haven’t tested the production from all areas of the auditorium! It’s my pet peeve as a regular amphi sitter that set designs of works are clearly designed for the stalls. 

Not looking forward to this blinding light display and very much hoping I can see the famous act 2 entrance unobstructed. If not I shall certainly email in. 

Where are you sitting?

I think if you have a completely forward facing seat in the middle you might get away with it, I think the problems come if you are even slightly to a side or on a curve.

I was lucky enough to see it all from the Balcony A.60 which is round to the side more …just before it really gets obstructed by the front ledge but saw all the walks down the steps in Avt 2 though found it more difficult to locate Cinderella in the first Act when she was right by the fire place. 

18 minutes ago, emmarose said:

Where are you sitting?

I think if you have a completely forward facing seat in the middle you might get away with it, I think the problems come if you are even slightly to a side or on a curve.

ok maybe I’ll be ok then as I’m not near the front but I am in the middle section. Where were you sat?

I do also have some SCS tickets but again I think central-ish so hoping it will be ok. Fingers crossed. 

6 minutes ago, JNC said:

ok maybe I’ll be ok then as I’m not near the front but I am in the middle section. Where were you sat?

I do also have some SCS tickets but again I think central-ish so hoping it will be ok. Fingers crossed. 

I usually try to stand in SCS 36-39.  As it's straight on, the view from there is fine.  Anywhere else, and the staircase descent has been obstructed to varying degrees.  Oh, and I had the overture lights in my face everywhere I've been (always on the stalls level).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

It seems as though the audience are a bit of a nuisance expecting to actually see what is happening on stage. Contemporary dance is often like this, treating the audience as if it is a special privilege to be allowed in to watch, and it is a pity if this is spreading to classical ballet. The performances are for the benefit of the paying audience, otherwise the dancers might as well stay in the studio.

The ROH ought to be pleased at being notified of, and given the chance to rectify, matters that might have escaped their attention, although, quite honestly, these problems should have been identified and remedied before the production aired.

If, on the other hand, they were already aware of these problems and have made no attempt to put them right, something is seriously wrong with their priorities.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, JNC said:

Hopefully you are.

I was in Stalls Circle A78. Couldn't see any pointe work until the last step, just really torso up. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Possibly (though not probably?) they are waiting until after the live broadcast to fix it.

I lean heavily towards 'not probably' over 'possibly'. Am also not entirely sure how the live broadcast would be improved by delaying the fix.

5 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I lean heavily towards 'not probably' over 'possibly'. Am also not entirely sure how the live broadcast would be improved by delaying the fix.

I don't know how it's edited for the live performance, but typically don't they film several performances before the live one in case there is footage required from it? If so, there would be continuity problems if they make changes. Also I imagine the director will presumably have a plan for the scene in question which it might be impossible to revisit in time.

I agree though that I am likely clutching at straws.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Whom did you write to? At what address? (I've never gotten a reply or even acknowledgement to an email so wondering if I'm using the wrong address)

Some people on the Forum have reported success when writing to the boss, Alex Beard. But the ROH itself encourages people to contact

Customerservices@roh.org.uk

(which has worked for me and others on here - I understand that Forum members sometimes send extracts from these discussions to this email address)

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Some people on the Forum have reported success when writing to the boss, Alex Beard. But the ROH itself encourages people to contact

Customerservices@roh.org.uk

(which has worked for me and others on here - I understand that Forum members sometimes send extracts from these discussion to this email address)

Thank you. I have contacted them. 

The fundamental problem is that it’s a disastrously shaped auditorium for watching ballet. 

- the rake in the stalls is inadequate for unobstructed views

- the front rows of the stalls are below the stage (so the dancers have no feet)

- the ‘best’ seats … centre of Donald Gordon tier, are too far away for emotions and expressions 

- anything on the horseshoe shaped sides is restricted view (even when not identified as such 🙄) and exacerbated by others understandably leaning forward to cope with their own restricted view. 
- anything under the overhangs in stalls circle, balcony,  … gets distorted sound, as well as boxed in views

- I assume (never sat there) that second row in boxes is highly restricted by the box side panels

They really need a crescent shaped auditorium … like the one ABBA built for their avatar show.  There are no bad views in that.  (Maybe the standing pit … but that wouldn’t apply)

Edited by FionaE
Add last two bullet points
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, FionaE said:

The fundamental problem is that it’s a disastrously shaped auditorium for watching ballet. 

Well technically this is probably true, but I've been to more than 1,000 performances at the ROH, almost all in some of the least expensive seats some of which may be described as restricted view, and they have given me some of the best and most profound memories of my life. I also think the horseshoe shape creates an intimacy that is difficult to re-create in any other way. The obvious thing that could/should be done is to increase the rake in the orchestra stalls; other than that, I wouldn't want it touched.

• Like 6

Could someone please pass onto me the contact details as well.

I was in two minds if I should complain or not, but this response (that they're aware we cannot see it and really do not care) has made me actually quite angry about it, and I wish to tell them (not that I'm angry, just that I couldn't see the big moment).

The more of us that do the more they might realise they have an issue on their hands and rectify it (even if it's only the next time they stage it).

Edited by emmarose
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
18 minutes ago, capybara said:

This is completely a unacceptable response as it implies that the audience actually being able to see key moments in the show doesn't matter to the RB.

All the 'bystanders' at the sides of the stage are nothing to do with the 'choreography' and someone should have reined in the scenery design with the shape of the auditorium in mind.

I have suggested that they get rid of the Pages and shift the corps further back into the wings. That would help a lot more people see Cinderella come down the stairs.

Please @oncp would you be so kind as to refer the person who replied to your query to this thread?

The person has added that they will refer the concerns to the appropriate people.

I am privately aware of some tensions within the RB team on this show. Which is no reason not to say what needs to change, just a clue if some people are less than open or forthcoming in their replies to us.

Within living memory the ROH mounted a production of the opera Tristan with a wall across the stage. Someone miscalculated with the result that a significant proportion of the audience couldn‘t see the show.

Attempts were made to push the wall out of the way and in the end the seat prices on one side of the auditorium were reduced. You couldn‘t make it up.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I am privately aware of some tensions within the RB team on this show. Which is no reason not to say what needs to change, just a clue if some people are less than open or forthcoming in their replies to us.

Within living memory the ROH mounted a production of the opera Tristan with a wall across the stage. Someone miscalculated with the result that a significant proportion of the audience couldn‘t see the show.

Attempts were made to push the wall out of the way and in the end the seat prices on one side of the auditorium were reduced. You couldn‘t make it up.

What kind of tensions? Is it even anything to do with set designs/creative decisions, or just general tensions that come up with staging a revamped production?

3 hours ago, Sim said:

I usually try to stand in SCS 36-39.  As it's straight on, the view from there is fine.  Anywhere else, and the staircase descent has been obstructed to varying degrees.  Oh, and I had the overture lights in my face everywhere I've been (always on the stalls level).

When I was in D36 - near blinded. In D35, no problem (the pillar masked the glare)

Could they not turn the power down a bit, or pop a filter on the front or something? Can't be beyond the wit of man surely

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Well technically this is probably true, but I've been to more than 1,000 performances at the ROH, almost all in some of the least expensive seats some of which may be described as restricted view, and they have given me some of the best and most profound memories of my life. I also think the horseshoe shape creates an intimacy that is difficult to re-create in any other way. The obvious thing that could/should be done is to increase the rake in the orchestra stalls; other than that, I wouldn't want it touched.

+1 for this although I can’t comment on orchestra stalls!

compared to something like palais garnier (stunning building though) where lots of the top level seats provide a view with the head in the way in front (is this the same at ROH?) and where I’ve heard the amphi is intolerably uncomfortable as it gets too hot (so I can’t personally comment but I fainted once due to heat at a small central London theatre so didn’t want to risk it) ROH seems well designed - within the confines of its history! The amphi at least is raked well.

I do agree that if the blockers in this instance are merely “bystanders” on stage then that is not part of the choreography and compromise should be made (with Soames?) to move them! 

Do they ever seek audience feedback post the friends rehearsal? Surely that might help and many friends would be happy to contribute! 

Edited by JNC

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

The entire left side of the auditorium iirc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't know how it's edited for the live performance, but typically don't they film several performances before the live one in case there is footage required from it? If so, there would be continuity problems if they make changes. Also I imagine the director will presumably have a plan for the scene in question which it might be impossible to revisit in time

I am sure you are correct on this @Lizbie1 ...there were cameras on Wednesday (5th April)   and I can't imagine any change is possible before filming on the 12th. Continuity for  editing scene choices would be particularly important for a later DVD. I think we can only hope for sufficient complaints to bring about a change later on (ideally still within the current run).