ROH marketing, continued

ROH marketing discussion, as elsewhere on the Forum, part 453.

Just for fun I snapped some old Royal Ballet posters that they clearly like enough to display at the ROH. I cut off obvious identification so that one can view them perhaps more objectively, here they are for the purposes of comparison, comment and review (apologies for separate images, I am not skilled enough to post a slide show)

764003A4-0BE5-4E47-AF60-EDFC132EC89A.jpeg

I remember one or two of those. Not that long ago I remember collecting a few of the posters (one of the reasons to pop into the old ROH shop). There is often a fantastic display of  a variety of the old posters along the corridor from the amphi bar to the main entrances for the amphitheatre itself.

Shame they don't create those marvelous images anymore

• Like 5

Yes it's a great loss. I have several on my bedroom walls and am looking at them now; Alina, looking very soulful in the second act of Giselle. Marianela and Carlos seemingly floating in a blue sky and white clouds in Fille, and Roberta Marquez in a beautiful arabesque, with Ivan Putrov as a handsome Prince in Cinderella.  Just by looking at the posters you knew exactly what sort of a ballet you were going to see, which is surely the job of good publicity.  Why such posters aren't now produced I can't understand.  The only recent poster I've seen that I'd really like (Vadim and Marianela in Scarletts Swan Lake) I was told wasn't available to purchase.  Surely the ROH missing a trick there as I'm sure a swan lake poster would be popular. However, judging by their email shop publicity, attractive posters seem to be making a bit of a comeback, with both a poster and a greetings card of the new floral Cinderella so perhaps there is hope yet.

• Like 7

Thaks Geoff, some great posters from the past and yes I am sure more recent ones would be popular.

You would think that they could also sell  more photos of the dancers.

Unfortunately the ROH shop and its marketing has been pretty poor for some time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Geoff, what is the production of the final poster pic you posted? It’s quite mesmerising.

Indeed! But isn’t it more fun to leave the images as a quiz for those who want to play a guessing game? If you send me a PM I’ll give you the answer - but I suspect Forum world (even without cheating with Google) can post solutions from memory.

I always love looking at the old posters outside the amphitheatre entrances, the photographed posters are quite artistic (not just a shot from the production) and the drawn/designed ones even better - requires more thought I think!

I really wish they’d go back to those types of poster designs and yes I think you could make money selling them in the shop, it doesn’t have to be the large print to order but smaller A4/A3 versions would sell (think how when you go to an art exhibition you can buy them).

I do think the poster designs of late (not every production even gets one) is pretty uninspiring to be honest and I wouldn’t buy those though. I think they could have done something much better and more artistic other than Marianela/Vadim shot in costume against a grey background for swan lake, and the Cinderella poster I’m sorry to see seems cheap and amateurish to me - a simple photo with some minimal props with an intern playing around on photoshop to make the flowers/background seem more arty/hyper real. Maybe others like it but I don’t. 

The older photos are stunning - the photo of Bussell, Durante and sorry the other dancer I don’t recognise is really beautiful - simple but artistic, same for Rojo and Cope (?) above as well - proper production photoshoots with a professional look that are stand-alone good photos but also have a link to the ballet for those who know and that you would display in your home if you were a ballet fan. 

Then the more artistic drawn posters are also lovely - again works of art in their own right but a good link to the ballet. 

it’s a missed opportunity we don’t get more properly designed artistic posters with current dancers for those of us who would like them. I think painted/drawn posters also catch the eye better for marketing as we’re so used to seeing photos all the time it always catches my eye at least to see a drawn poster somewhere with clear graphic design. I appreciate proper photoshoots and artists to draw costs money - but someone tinkering around on photoshop and doing the Cinderella poster isn’t free is it?

Do they have the principal postcards back in the shop? And while I’m on the topic I wish they’d bring back the yearbook (not the year in pictures, although they haven’t done that now since 2020 so assume that’s gone as well) to capture a year in performance with performance and backstage photographs and information on productions/dancers/choreographers etc. 

• Like 4

The second one I posted with Rojo and Cope certainly caught the eye.  I saw many people pause and look when it was being displayed on the tube.

I think marketing went downhill when they produced the posters that seemed to be designed to get people into the coffee bar rather than the performances:

SCZwaWQ9QXBp

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, MJW said:

The V&A has an excellent collection of posters (not all of the search results relate to the RB) - 

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/search/?q=royal ballet&page=1&page_size=15&kw_object_type=Poster

When I was scrolling through that link, I came across a couple of places where the image was removed and displayed the message that it might be deemed offensive or discriminatory.  I clicked on it, and it appears to be a 1912 poster for the Russian ballet, featuring Narcisse, Scherazade and Thamar.  Er?  Could someone enlighten me as to what anyone might find offensive or discriminatory about that?

Edited to add, is it something in the description of the pieces?  I can't enlarge it enough to be able to read the small print.  Perhaps someone else can.

Edited by Fonty

David Wall and Leslie Collier. A wonderful partnership.  They were dancing together back in the late 70s/early 80s when I first started going to the ROH.  I made sure I saw them as often as I could.  Lovely memories!  ❤️

• Like 3

Both Ondine posters are so good.

I have never seen this ballet (except for the snip in the Fonteyn gala) and envy those who have. Fwiw, if I was a ballet management team trying to attract an audience raised on The Little Mermaid, this show would be on my must do list for sure. (Please 🙏)

• Like 3

I went to a great deal of trouble to remove the titles from my posts, and then everyone gave it away! ;)

So, Geoff, time to reveal what your posters are.  I know all the ones with Bussell, and the Dream is obvious, although I don't think I recognise the dancer.  A bit hard to tell with all the make up.  Clearly the one with Sarah Wildor is Coppelia.  

What is the one is with the man bearing facial scars and fancy head gear?  And although I remember the one with the river/face, I have no idea what it was advertising.  

20 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

Is that not Steven McRae in The Dream poster? I’m stumped on the same two as Fonty.

Yes, it’s Steven McRae.  His Dream with Roberta Marquez was wonderful to behold!