ROH marketing, continued

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Yes, it’s Steven McRae.  His Dream with Roberta Marquez was wonderful to behold!  

Is it?  I couldn't see any red hair.  Do the men have to wear wigs as well as the ladies in the Dream?  I have seen McRae in this a couple of times, and I thought how well the part suited him, and also how handsome he looked  in the part.  I do hope when they put it on again, the ladies are not lumbered with those horrible blonde wigs and can use their own natural hair colour 

22 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Is it?  I couldn't see any red hair.  Do the men have to wear wigs as well as the ladies in the Dream?  I have seen McRae in this a couple of times, and I thought how well the part suited him, and also how handsome he looked  in the part.  I do hope when they put it on again, the ladies are not lumbered with those horrible blonde wigs and can use their own natural hair colour 

Yes, he is wearing a wig…and lots of makeup!  

Strangely enough I came across the river/face poster when searching for something else today: it’s for Le Baiser de la Fee.  Sadly, I’ve never seen any version of it, but would love to see Macmillan’s.  Still can’t work out the poster with the man wearing the crown though.

• Like 3

From the ROH's LinkedIn page (and probably elsewhere):

"😍 We're delighted to work in partnership to celebrate the very best of London’s Culture!

A series of historic Tube posters from London Transport Museum’s collection have been reimagined for the present day to celebrate London’s world-class arts and culture.

Four icons of London’s live arts scene are featured in the series: the English National Opera, London Symphony Orchestra, Southbank Centre and our theatre!

These stunning vintage poster designs will be on display across the Underground between 10 April and 28 April as part of London Transport Museum’s collaboration with TfL to mark 160 years of the Tube. The limited-edition ROH poster is available to purchase in the ROH shop!

Find out more here: https://lnkd.in/e2FdKRSz "

• 10 months later...

For the many who have wondered what the Royal Ballet marketing / PR team does or doesn't do, here is an interesting job spec currently on their website.

Looks like they want to centralise and participate in what many dancers currently manage for themselves (i.e., paid work with brands). The RB might be late to the concept of influencer marketing, but imo this is a smart move. Salary of course quite low for the skills and experience they want.

Job opportunity: Artist Brand Liaison Manager, The Royal Ballet

>>

"...Because of the increasing popularity of dance in general...it is expected that commercial opportunities involving the Artists will increase in scale and regularity...As a result of this, we have an exciting, newly created opportunity for an Artist Brand Liaison Manager to join the organisation...main purpose of the role is to manage brand liaison for The Royal Ballet, developing and managing commercial sponsorship models which will bring mutual benefit to both the ROH/Royal Ballet and the individual Artist."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I ( Principal A) have been working with the management team I pay for myself to secure marketing opportunities which, yes, advertise products but also enhance my social media presence and, hence, my ‘brand’ and then the ROH swoops in to take advantage?

An understandable development for the ROH but a questionable move at what is a late stage!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, capybara said:

So I ( Principal A) have been working with the management team I pay for myself to secure marketing opportunities which, yes, advertise products but also enhance my social media presence and, hence, my ‘brand’ and then the ROH swoops in to take advantage?

Well it will be interesting to see — once they hire this person — how it works with existing artist/brand deals. Or if it is just for pursuing new opportunities. 

Not a lawyer but I doubt the RB could take a cut of any paid sponsorships already in place. 

Maybe they will also look at some team sponsorship models for the company as a whole, which are so common in sports. Nike logos on tutus, Mulberry ballet bags. Just kidding. I think 🤣

• Like 4

10 hours ago, capybara said:

An understandable development for the ROH but a questionable move at what is a late stage!

Is this not perhaps more to do with junior dancers and facilitating use of a number of dancers for a specific campaign? There was one a while ago for skincare and there was a clothing brand they have teamed up with recently- All Saints -  which I think used quite a few young dancers. Pretty sure I’ve seen at least one similar partnership from ENB. My feeling is that this won’t be about individuals, it will be about the group. 

Realistically the challenge is that everyone from supermarkets to the ROH are struggling with profitability - or even to break even - and are looking for new revenue streams. If this sort of endeavour can contribute to the ROH coffers and help to manage the cost transferred onto audiences, I am all for it. 

• Like 4