RBS - More good news for Japanese dancers.

Londondancersmum

Latest news from RBS. Possibly not going to help with the dwindling numbers of Brits at the school. 

The Royal Ballet School’s partnership with Kinoshita Group

The Royal Ballet School is delighted to announce an exciting new collaboration with Kinoshita Group as Principal Corporate Sponsors of The Royal Ballet School, alongside the continuation of their generous student sponsorship of our Japanese dancers.

This will see the Group join our longstanding corporate partners, Imagination, in supporting our 2023 Summer Performances and lending support to our outreach programmes, joining us in our mission to widen access to classical ballet for future generations. 

As Principal Corporate Sponsor, Kinoshita Group will continue to work with us as we approach our Centenary in 2026, to help secure the School’s financial future and ensure we remain a world leader in classical ballet education for the next 100 years. Kinoshita Group shares our goals: to ensure no student with potential is turned away due to financial hardship; to continue to be at the forefront of ballet training, having a far-reaching impact on raising standards in our sector; and to have a positive impact on society by widening access to our art form, inspiring and influencing on a global scale.

The Group have graciously supported the training of Japanese students through the School since 2016, seven of whom now dance professionally with top-flight ballet companies around the world, including The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet. These students would not have realised their incredible potential without Kinoshita Group’s philanthropy. Artistic Director Christopher Powney said:

Japanese students form an important part of the fabric of our world-leading School. They are consistently of a high technical standard and have an extraordinary work ethic and commitment to the art form. They set an immaculate example for all dancers at the School, elevating the standard of the class and inspiring others to work as hard as they do.

Founded in 1990, Kinoshita Group is best known for housing development and real estate ventures. Their mission is to provide ‘harmony between culture and a fulfilling life’. Through corporate philanthropy, they hope to hand over a prosperous and sustainable society and environment to the next generation. In light of this announcement, Kinoshita Group said:

In 2023, we hope our enhanced partnership with the School enables more opportunity to those facing hardship. Our goal is for all Japanese students to enjoy a bright, healthy and successful year and we look forward to the School’s triumphant Summer Performances!

Edited by Londondancersmum

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post this on the other thread but as it’s closed. 

This morning I came across a social media post (via someone I know commenting) from a international student about getting WL finals and was shocked to see that RBS had commented.  Is that how you know you are in with a chance these days?

36B8CE24-CA10-4CE4-AE9D-16C229EE26A4.jpeg

• Like 7

I do find this trend for institutions to comment on or like posts or even repost photos/comments from prospective students somewhat indiscreet & tacky….

I get that every company/school etc has to be seen to be ‘with it’ these days but it does IMHO almost cross a line & blurs the boundaries between professional body & general public….

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Londondancersmum said:

In 2023, we hope our enhanced partnership with the School enables more opportunity to those facing hardship. Our goal is for all Japanese students to enjoy a bright, healthy and successful year and we look forward to the School’s triumphant Summer Performances!

Ok… am I missing something here? Why is a Japanese corporation who seems so keen to promote Japanese dancers not pumping money into ballet provision for these dancers to train in their home country?
Japan has the Imperial Family. Why not create their own ‘Royal Ballet School’ or ‘The Imperial Ballet School of Japan’

It seems appalling that this company wants to (let alone is allowed to) pump no doubt many many thousands (even hundreds of thousands?) of pounds into the RBS…..but with a completely transparent aim as part of this money to provide opportunities for Japanese students. It’s basically looking to me like bulk buying places in the school! 
This is not helping to develop grass roots ballet in Japan & promote cultural well being there. Personally I do not think the RBS should be taking this money if it comes with ‘strings attached’…..surely it’s Charitable Status & own institutional aims & principles would not allow this? 
Expect ever more overseas audition tours & intensives to now include Japan…..

I cannot see how this furthers our National ballet flagship school to fulfil its brief & its founding aims. 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Ok… am I missing something here? Why is a Japanese corporation who seems so keen to promote Japanese dancers not pumping money into ballet provision for these dancers to train in their home country?
Japan has the Imperial Family. Why not create their own ‘Royal Ballet School’ or ‘The Imperial Ballet School of Japan’

It seems appalling that this company wants to (let alone is allowed to) pump no doubt many many thousands (even hundreds of thousands?) of pounds into the RBS…..but with a completely transparent aim as part of this money to provide opportunities for Japanese students. It’s basically looking to me like bulk buying places in the school! 
This is not helping to develop grass roots ballet in Japan & promote cultural well being there. Personally I do not think the RBS should be taking this money if it comes with ‘strings attached’…..surely it’s Charitable Status & own institutional aims & principles would not allow this? 
Expect ever more overseas audition tours & intensives to now include Japan…..

I cannot see how this furthers our National ballet flagship school to fulfil its brief & its founding aims. 

Completely agree and RBS already has government funded places so it is not like they needed the money for that. Will the RBS be able to use the funding from the group to fund dancers from other countries?

• Like 2

I am a little loathe to comment here because of the closure of the other thread however I have to say I would love to rephrase CP’s statement ..just a tad …as agree he could have praised the Japanese dancers who are undoubtedly hard working and dedicated etc (one of my favourite dancers in the Company  is Japanese) without seeming to rather insult the British dancers …my other favourite dancer in the Company is from U.K. I’m sure these two dancers worked equally hard as they went through the school!! 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I believe there are still very few paid jobs for ballet dancers in Japan. Only the stars/principals get fees and everyone else dances for free. If this has changed please correct me.

As far as I am aware that is still the case PdQ.  A number of Japanese dancers retired from UK companies have returned to Japan and have stated their intention to work for change but how long will that take.

In respect of the RBS, as far as I am aware (but please correct me if I am wrong) all non-UK nationals have to pay the full fees so presumably they are not a burden on already stretched funds.  Could it be that this latest sponsorship could actually be good for other candidates? 

14 hours ago, Londondancersmum said:

Latest news from RBS. Possibly not going to help with the dwindling numbers of Brits at the school. 

The Royal Ballet School’s partnership with Kinoshita Group

The Royal Ballet School is delighted to announce an exciting new collaboration with Kinoshita Group as Principal Corporate Sponsors of The Royal Ballet School, alongside the continuation of their generous student sponsorship of our Japanese dancers.

This will see the Group join our longstanding corporate partners, Imagination, in supporting our 2023 Summer Performances and lending support to our outreach programmes, joining us in our mission to widen access to classical ballet for future generations. 

As Principal Corporate Sponsor, Kinoshita Group will continue to work with us as we approach our Centenary in 2026, to help secure the School’s financial future

(My bolding, apart from the title)

I'm not sure you aren't reading something into that statement that's not there.  In the recently-closed RBS thread, someone posted (publicly available?) details of the RBS's post-pandemic finances, which weren't exactly rosy, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alison said:

(My bolding, apart from the title)

I'm not sure you aren't reading something into that statement that's not there.  In the recently-closed RBS thread, someone posted (publicly available?) details of the RBS's post-pandemic finances, which weren't exactly rosy, if I recall correctly.

Thanks Alison for mentioning less than rosy finances - I recall that too but google searches haven't brought up any of the articles I seem to remember seeing.

11 hours ago, BattementBatty said:

I was going to post this on the other thread but as it’s closed. 

This morning I came across a social media post (via someone I know commenting) from a international student about getting WL finals and was shocked to see that RBS had commented.  Is that how you know you are in with a chance these days?

36B8CE24-CA10-4CE4-AE9D-16C229EE26A4.jpeg

I did wonder why that previous discussion thread was locked in its entirety with none of the comments visible, when only a few comments could be considered contentious. Surely the specific posts could have been hidden. I do recall a similar thread a few months ago which was also locked and I don’t think it was ever re-opened. That older post was locked as tempers appeared to be flaring and so to get some posters to cool down. I think this is often what happens when the RBS is discussed. It’s clearly very much a dividing topic…I hope this one doesn’t go that way too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

I did wonder why that previous discussion thread was locked in its entirety with none of the comments visible, when only a few comments could be considered contentious. Surely the specific posts could have been hidden. I do recall a similar thread a few months ago which was also locked and I don’t think it was ever re-opened. That older post was locked as tempers appeared to be flaring and so to get some posters to cool down. I think this is often what happens when the RBS is discussed. It’s clearly very much a dividing topic…I hope this one doesn’t go that way too. 

I must admit that I was startled to see an entire thread locked and hidden.   Has someone complained about the whole discussion?  

It may have appeared to be sharply critical of the RBS, but perhaps those criticisms are justified?  In any case, I am assuming that the majority of people posting here are British, and therefore the discussion is going to focus on the leading schools in the UK.  I would be fascinated to hear about the leading schools in France, the US, etc, if anyone has experiences of them.  

• Like 6

For me it’s not the money involved so much but the second half of CP’s statement ….he could have equally welcomed the Japanese dancers to join our own equally committed and dedicated dancers thus inspiring all to achieve even higher standards. 
A little kinder I think. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I must admit that I was startled to see an entire thread locked and hidden.   Has someone complained about the whole discussion?  

It may have appeared to be sharply critical of the RBS, but perhaps those criticisms are justified?  In any case, I am assuming that the majority of people posting here are British, and therefore the discussion is going to focus on the leading schools in the UK.  I would be fascinated to hear about the leading schools in France, the US, etc, if anyone has experiences of them.  

Agreed. I remember there were some stats quoted and links to articles that could have been of interest to those auditioning this year. I thought for the most part it was a very thoughtful discussion and one that clearly caught the attention of a lot of members. I am sure a lot of posters were disappointed to find the entire thread locked, with no posts at all visible. Based on previously locked threads, I very much doubt it will be re-opened. I did have a feeling it would be locked at some point as it was mainly about the RBS (which was the focus of the OP’s original post).

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Just before it got locked/ removed, one of the moderators noted that people were commentating on the private life’s of RBS staff. I’ve got a feeling that’s what tipped it over the edge. 

• Like 1

Please note that when the moderators lock or hide an entire thread we don't do it lightly.  We take into account various things such as whether numerous posts have been reported, whether the threat of legal action is there, whether people have commented on private lives, whether there is undue speculation, whether posters have written spurious or denigrating posts using pseudonyms, etc. etc.  We can't always divulge exact reasons for locking or hiding a thread, but rest assured that if we do take such action it is because we have to for the good of the whole forum.  I would remind everybody that ultimate responsibility for what is out there in public on this forum lies with the moderators, and should we ever face legal (or other) action, the buck (and any expenses) stops with us, not with those who have posted. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Kerfuffle said:

I too feel disappointed by the whole thread being locked. I think it was the most honest discussion there has been about a school which has a direct/indirect influence on the whole of the British ballet scene. It’s relevant to most parents on this forum. 

I agree. It was one of the best threads I have ever been part of on here.

If perhaps the posts that referenced specific teacher issues could be removed and it can be opened again as this thread is inevitably going to start off the discussion again.

• Like 10

Let's remember that our moderators do a difficult job in their spare time.  For them to go through a whole thread and and decide whether each and every post is acceptable might take a huge amount of time.  I'm sure that there are times that they have to err on the side of caution in order to protect the forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, glowlight said:

Let's remember that our moderators do a difficult job in their spare time.  For them to go through a whole thread and and decide whether each and every post is acceptable might take a huge amount of time.  I'm sure that there are times that they have to err on the side of caution in order to protect the forum.

Yes indeed.  We sure do.  Believe me, we understand how frustrating this can be, but I can only reiterate what I said above and reaffirm that we don't enjoy hiding or locking threads, we really don't. 

Thanks Glowlight.

• Like 3

I have read the policy again with regard to discussing schools.  The majority of posts were from people posting either their own personal experiences or those of their children, together with an analysis of the very public and documented comments of the AD.  Obviously talk about the private lives of teachers is not acceptable (although I didn't see any of those) but the rest were definitely within the rules as I interpret them. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I believe there are still very few paid jobs for ballet dancers in Japan. Only the stars/principals get fees and everyone else dances for free. If this has changed please correct me.

So why are Japanese dancers & audiences & companies & cultural champions & politicians & general public not causing noise to give a major Corporate company the nod that investing this way in their own backyard might actually turn all this around & really boost Japanese ballet all round! What’s the point in training Japanese dancers overseas for overseas jobs continually? They have the opportunity to throw money & create grass roots up! Wow! And surely they then benefit from goodwill of population & might even boost their business thus making shareholders happy! What benefit other than status/kudos (snobbery?) do they get by throwing money at RBS? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

As well as Sim's note above could I just remind members of the specific policy for discussing schools:

I have first hand information that RBS was aware of the comment with regards a member of their staff.  I take it that this is why the thread is now closed.

4 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

So why are Japanese dancers & audiences & companies & cultural champions & politicians & general public not causing noise to give a major Corporate company the nod that investing this way in their own backyard might actually turn all this around & really boost Japanese ballet all round! What’s the point in training Japanese dancers overseas for overseas jobs continually? They have the opportunity to throw money & create grass roots up! Wow! And surely they then benefit from goodwill of population & might even boost their business thus making shareholders happy! What benefit other than status/kudos (snobbery?) do they get by throwing money at RBS? 

Perhaps you should contact the company and ask them.

Ballet and Matthew Bourne productions are very popular in Japan but it seems to be mainly visiting companies and the Japanese promotors set conditions such as expecting leading roles to be danced by principal dancers.

Many years ago BRB were on tour in Japan and were hit with injury problems.  They had to promote one of the ladies to principal to meet the promotor's requirements.  IIRC it was Miyako Yoshida.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dance.Mum said:

I have first hand information that RBS was aware of the comment with regards a member of their staff.  I take it that this is why the thread is now closed.

The thread was closed and subsequently hidden because the Moderators were becoming increasingly concerned about the tone of some of the posts.

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to RBS - More good news for Japanese dancers.