The Hammond School 2023

Dancemum19

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Dancing.shoes said:

Have you tried emailing/calling? You’d think you’d have heard something by now. They said 2 weeks to hear. Maybe worth chasing it up? You must be pulling your hair out waiting! 

Yes, I phoned yesterday just to check that we’d hear even if it was a no and that we hadn’t missed anything. They said they’re looking at it this week…

17 minutes ago, Taximum said:

Yes, I phoned yesterday just to check that we’d hear even if it was a no and that we hadn’t missed anything. They said they’re looking at it this week…

😬😬😬😬😬 Good luck hun. I was the week before you and it was only last week we started to get any comms so hopefully you’ll hear soon xxx

• Thanks 1

On 24/03/2023 at 11:49, OnTheMove said:

If they can do this to kids before they’ve even started the school, it makes you wonder what else they can do…

I think it’s despicable to offer a place on the day in front of a child when they’re not offering the funding as well. Do they care about the feelings and mental well-being of the child? 

Tring and Hammond are the same due to limited MDA. An offer of a place doesn't guarantee funding. My DD was offered Tring, but didn't get MDA. Fortunately she was offered MDA for Hammond which she loves. 

I believe one year someone was offered an MDA for Tring days before the start of term and turned it down as everything was bought including uniform for Hammond ! 

It's an issue with the system that there are only four MDA dance schools and two of those only have limited MDA available. 

4 minutes ago, mumtotwoballerinas said:

Tring and Hammond are the same due to limited MDA. An offer of a place doesn't guarantee funding. My DD was offered Tring, but didn't get MDA. Fortunately she was offered MDA for Hammond which she loves. 

I believe one year someone was offered an MDA for Tring days before the start of term and turned it down as everything was bought including uniform for Hammond ! 

It's an issue with the system that there are only four MDA dance schools and two of those only have limited MDA available. 

I agree it is an issue, waiting for funding is awful. 

But the reason why is because the MDS are awarded for potential and talent in classical ballet. As Tring and Hammond are mixed genre they have a limited number, compared to RBS and ELM. 

What is needed is more CAT schemes around the country with MDS to award. I think Northern Ballet is the only one of the CAT that offers an MDS. 

Edited by OnTheMove
Added info
  • Like 1

I think it is acceptable to offer a place on the day as long as it is clearly explained to both the child and parent that the place offered so far is unfunded with decisions on funding to be made later.

In previous years under the previous management  it was always made clear at audition that places offered were initially unfunded.  

• Like 1

So just got a welcome email from Hammond for zoom meeting to meet staff, but still no word on funding 🙁. Called the School this morning as I have multiple times as well as emailing multiple times regarding funding, woman I spoke to said we should hear something after half term. We sent back all paperwork beginning of Feb, really think it’s not good enough to keep us waiting so long to hear about funding. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starboymom said:

So just got a welcome email from Hammond for zoom meeting to meet staff, but still no word on funding 🙁. Called the School this morning as I have multiple times as well as emailing multiple times regarding funding, woman I spoke to said we should hear something after half term. We sent back all paperwork beginning of Feb, really think it’s not good enough to keep us waiting so long to hear about funding. 

Very bizarre. I’m at the same stage as you. Have had an offer, then an email to fill in details (but not mds) then I’ve heard nothing, no email about a zoom call🤦‍♀️

My son, has literally had a full meltdown regarding the situation. He has support to raise funds if no funding but until we know we can’t put anything in place. It really is affecting his mental wellbeing not knowing what is happening. A simple yes you have funding or no you don’t would allow parents to plan next steps rather than being in limbo.

When we joined there were no problems re communication so it is not ‘utterly typical’ at all, I get the impression that they are doing things a new way this year with no MDS audition, so possible they are having teething problems, but hang in there it is a great school.. 

• Like 1

There have been major changes of Management and other staff in the last few years. Covid slowed/made some of the changes not so apparent straight away  but things are being done very differently now by the look of it. 

Definitely not ‘utterly typical’ of the school - DD has been there for the last five years and I would say it’s a pretty caring establishment. As Betty’s mum said, I think there might be teething problems with the new audition/funding process, which is very unfortunate and frustrating for those currently going through it - but it’s not a reflection of the school experience as a whole. I hope everyone gets their answers soon ☘️

• Like 1

Communication has been as promised with us. Don’t want to make anyone else feel worse that they haven’t heard yet, but hopefully some other than me have had good communication. 
we were told on the audition day that she was offered a place, 2 weeks later official email offering MDS, personal replies to emails I have sent and then email this week to invite to zoom call. 
please don’t think I’m rubbing any one’s noses in it - just wanted to put a positive experience out there as if there are others like me, I felt a bit anxious that the school has got a lot of negative comments. Starting to worry about sending my daughter there! 
looking forward to seeing who else is starting in September! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dancing.shoes said:

Communication has been as promised with us. Don’t want to make anyone else feel worse that they haven’t heard yet, but hopefully some other than me have had good communication. 
we were told on the audition day that she was offered a place, 2 weeks later official email offering MDS, personal replies to emails I have sent and then email this week to invite to zoom call. 
please don’t think I’m rubbing any one’s noses in it - just wanted to put a positive experience out there as if there are others like me, I felt a bit anxious that the school has got a lot of negative comments. Starting to worry about sending my daughter there! 
looking forward to seeing who else is starting in September! 

My daughter is also starting in September! 
we had a call offering MDS funding a couple of weeks ago after being offered a place early Feb. 

I think unless it’s been mentioned at audition or initial offer (a friend of ours was offered MDS funding on the day) I would assume it’s an unfunded place. 

All children are on a list and considered I believe. There is always a lot of movement so don’t give up hope! 

@Dancing.shoes have you had any paper work re: the MDS? How long did it take to come through after the MDS offer?

we’re still waiting for the official stuff and getting twitchy! 

8 minutes ago, Somerdance said:

we had a call offering MDS funding a couple of weeks ago after being offered a place early Feb. 

I think unless it’s been mentioned at audition or initial offer (a friend of ours was offered MDS funding on the day) I would assume it’s an unfunded place. 

All children are on a list and considered I believe. There is always a lot of movement so don’t give up hope! 

@Dancing.shoes have you had any paper work re: the MDS? How long did it take to come through after the MDS offer?

The actual MDS forms don’t get sent out until much later in the summer term, they have to wait for the DfE to get themselves organised!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Somerdance said:

Congrats to your daughter! We had mds forms attached to our offer email and had 3 days to return them. 
not heard anything since then though, so don’t know what our contribution will be or when we will hear more. I don’t even know what it covers - hoping for more info asap! 

Looking back - I see it’s not the mds forms I’ve filled out, but Hammond financial forms. I’m still very confused about everything! 
I guess if the mds offer comes back as still being unaffordable, people will hand them back? Hard to know until it comes though! 

9 hours ago, mumtotwoballerinas said:

Do you have a child at the Hammond - I wonder if you speak from experience or hear say ?

I have a child in yr9, there have been some communication issues in the past, however I have found them great more recently and the school is such a such a great place, don’t let people’s second hand information put you off.. happy to chat if you have questions PM me x

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Betty’s mum said:

I have a child in yr9, there have been some communication issues in the past, however I have found them great more recently and the school is such a such a great place, don’t let people’s second hand information put you off.. happy to chat if you have questions PM me x

I agree the school in general is great, would thoroughly recommend and my dc is extremely happy there. Individual staff can be very communicative but trying to get an email answer to even very simple questions can be difficult. 

Some posts on this thread have been hidden as they are hearsay rather than personal experience.

Posts that are responses to those posts have also been hidden.

The Moderation Team would remind you of the section of the Acceptable Use Policy relating specifically to discussion of schools states

"Discussion of schools and courses This may lead to the expression of strong opinions, both positive and negative when experiences and views have understandably differed. Against that background, the general Acceptable Use Policy Conditions continue to apply but, as regards schools and courses, additional parameters are added.
    •    Posts about schools or courses must report personal experiences only (posted by the student, the student’s parent/guardian or the student’s teacher with permission).
    •    They must not include second-hand information or innuendo e.g. claiming to speak on someone else’s behalf, for “many people”, for “the majority of students” and so forth.
    •    Nothing should be included that could be construed as defamatory in any way and which could therefore lead to legal ramifications for the Forum and members."