The Hammond School 2023

Dancemum19

1 hour ago, Dancing.shoes said:

On the basis that I’m poor, I can only assume I’ll qualify!!!!! Thankyou for clarifying! I wasn’t sure if it meant something like ‘if there’s anything left in the pot, you may get it!’ 

I read into MDS and basically it’s assumed every student attending on the dance programme will be applying and looking at the brackets most will be eligible. It’s nothing to do with The Hammond as such, it’s government funded so if you are poor (as per your comment not me being disrespectful lol) you’ll defo qualify. I worked out our income and hoping we come in somewhere with a decent wedge off as I’m super poor😂

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Shelovesdance said:

I read into MDS and basically it’s assumed every student attending on the dance programme will be applying and looking at the brackets most will be eligible. It’s nothing to do with The Hammond as such, it’s government funded so if you are poor (as per your comment not me being disrespectful lol) you’ll defo qualify. I worked out our income and hoping we come in somewhere with a decent wedge off as I’m super poor😂

Just to warn you that Hammond won’t have an MDS award available for every student. They are awarded to those they consider showed the most talent  at the audition.  When my daughter joined in Year 7, only 10 of the 18 dancers had MDS awards, the rest self-funded or had help from charities. Apologies if you know this already, but thought I’d better say.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, margarite said:

Just to warn you that Hammond won’t have an MDS award available for every student. They are awarded to those they consider showed the most talent  at the audition.  When my daughter joined in Year 7, only 10 of the 18 dancers had MDS awards, the rest self-funded or had help from charities. Apologies if you know this already, but thought I’d better say.

Oh really!! No I didn’t realise that at all. I thought the mds was totally separate from the Hammond and it was their bursery that depended on talent. So I’ve got that totally wrong then. Thank you xx

MDS awards are given to the Hammond by the government - no-one knows the exact number they have across the school.  There are rules about which children are eligible, but the decision on who to give them to rests with the school.  They are given to those with the most potential in classical ballet, are means tested and you have to meet the nationality and residency requirements.  

They are means tested, so those on very low incomes pay no or almost no fees/boarding costs and those on higher incomes pay more.  Anyone on an income over a certain level is not eligible.  There is also an annual allowance given for dancewear.

The school's own bursaries are given at the discretion of the school to whoever they like.  They can also be given to theatre arts students.  They are usually worth a lot less than MDS and don't include uniform/dancewear etc.  

• Thanks 1

Still nothing yet. I now can't decide which scenario to go for - either DC hasn't got a place at all (although hoping that if they'd decided that they'd have told us) or DC has a place but they're waiting to see how much is left in the MDS pot before making an offer. Audition was 6th March for Y7 entry. Waiting is tortuous!

6 hours ago, Dancing.shoes said:

Has anyone else had news about Hammond entry in September? 

I’m absolutely gutted. We got financial forms to fill in but there was no mention of MDS so it looks like it’s a bursary. And we can’t afford it if it’s only that. My DD will be devastated, I can’t even bear to tell her at the moment. I wish they hadn’t told her on the day, I think we both got too excited and being told on the day I just assumed it would be MDS. Really gutted 😞 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shelovesdance said:

I’m absolutely gutted. We got financial forms to fill in but there was no mention of MDS so it looks like it’s a bursary. And we can’t afford it if it’s only that. My DD will be devastated, I can’t even bear to tell her at the moment. I wish they hadn’t told her on the day, I think we both got too excited and being told on the day I just assumed it would be MDS. Really gutted 😞 

That’s awful. I’m so sorry. From what I’ve heard you could have dodged a bullet! So please see it as one door closing opens another one. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Shelovesdance said:

Oh, that’s really tough. Maybe call the school just to clarify before talking to DD? I’m sure it’ll feel like small consolation now but to have had an offer on the day shows she clearly has enormous talent. Hopefully if this door doesn’t open, another one will 🩰

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelovesdance said:

We feel the same! An offer on the day and then an email to confirm the offer of the place. No mention of MDS or even any forms to fill in…… this is much worse for my daughter. Why did they do that? Get her hopes up like that. I’m so upset they did that

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Millicent said:

Could I ask what you mean by dodged a bullet? 

If they can do this to kids before they’ve even started the school, it makes you wonder what else they can do…

I think it’s despicable to offer a place on the day in front of a child when they’re not offering the funding as well. Do they care about the feelings and mental well-being of the child? 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Petruska said:

We feel the same! An offer on the day and then an email to confirm the offer of the place. No mention of MDS or even any forms to fill in…… this is much worse for my daughter. Why did they do that? Get her hopes up like that. I’m so upset they did that

I’m sorry you’ve had the same thing. It’s definitely hard to swallow when they made such a big deal of keeping her back and giving her such amazing feedback then offering her a place right there on the spot. She’s spent the last few weeks just constantly talking about it and getting excited. I absolutely could kick myself for not asking right then if it was mds funded, at least then I could have said to her straightaway it won’t be affordable. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dancemum19 said:

Hello Everyone!!!

Has anyone heard for year 9 intakes any information starting in September? X 

Do you mean as in school information? Your DD has a place and you’ve had funding forms haven’t you? I’m not sure much else will have gone out yet until they have a clearer idea who is going

1 hour ago, Shelovesdance said:

I’m sorry you’ve had the same thing. It’s definitely hard to swallow when they made such a big deal of keeping her back and giving her such amazing feedback then offering her a place right there on the spot. She’s spent the last few weeks just constantly talking about it and getting excited. I absolutely could kick myself for not asking right then if it was mds funded, at least then I could have said to her straightaway it won’t be affordable. 

Me too!

My DD auditioned end of January and was offered a place.

She was over the moon! We then found out it was unfunded after speaking with someone at The Hammond as the money side wasn’t mentioned.

We were sent bursary paper work but what we were offered still wasn’t financially feasible for us so had to turn it down.

Yesterday we had the call she has MDS funding… it was an agonising wait but SIT TIGHT!

Prior to that we did call to ask where out DD was on the wait list for funding and they were happy to discuss and give an indication.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Somerdance said:

She was over the moon! We then found out it was unfunded after speaking with someone at The Hammond as the money side wasn’t mentioned.

We were sent bursary paper work but what we were offered still wasn’t financially feasible for us so had to turn it down.

Yesterday we had the call she has MDS funding… it was an agonising wait but SIT TIGHT!

Prior to that we did call to ask where out DD was on the wait list for funding and they were happy to discuss and give an indication.

What a relief and fantastic news. Well done, hopefully it means lots of changes about to happen. Enjoy celebrating this weekend xx

1 hour ago, The Graceless One said:

Somerdance - that’s amazing news.

Now that all the lower school results are out children will be accepting and declining places, so there will be quite a bit of movement between the schools. 

Do we know about other schools yet? White lodge, elmhurst, tring etc?

9 hours ago, Somerdance said:

That’s lovely news, congratulations! She must be thrilled. Sitting very tight here.
Has anyone else not heard anything at all since the audition?

5 hours ago, Dancing.shoes said:

I had to pay registration fee and send all paper work back by last Friday, so hopefully people are hearing more this week? 

I’ll admit it’s going to be a kick in the teeth if I’ve paid the registration thinking it’s a funded place and then we can’t afford to send her 😭 I so so so hope to hear something soon, my daughter would love it there, it’s the perfect school for her. Hope all of you are coping with the wait, it’s intense!!!

13 minutes ago, Shelovesdance said:

I’ll admit it’s going to be a kick in the teeth if I’ve paid the registration thinking it’s a funded place and then we can’t afford to send her 😭 I so so so hope to hear something soon, my daughter would love it there, it’s the perfect school for her. Hope all of you are coping with the wait, it’s intense!!!

When my DS was auditioning we had to pay the registration fee before he could attend the MDS audition. It all worked out but I wasn’t happy at the time x