ROH pricing survey

On 09/02/2023 at 10:00, PeterS said:

From Membership:

Thank you so much for your email enquiry about the recent ticket price survey. We understand that this was only sent out to those who had opted in to receive marketing emails.  You can check your Contact Preferences on your Royal Opera House account page.

There is survey that will be going out to all Friends' approximately towards the end of the month, sorry we don't have an exact date yet, and in which you will be included.

We do hope the above information is helpful, but if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

further to the above:

My apologies, since emailing you we have now received more specific information about the survey that was carried out by the box office. A survey was emailed to some ticket buyers, who were taken from a sample number only, some of whom were also Friends'. As this was a sample only,  not everyone was included.  This survey was to gain some feedback regarding ticket prices.

I do hope that the above information is of help, and we very much hope that you will kindly participate in the Friends' survey due to be released at the end of the month.
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made some enquiries about the survey and received the following response:

“The survey was sent to a broad selection of ticket buyers, which includes the public, Friends and members of the Young ROH, as part of a wider ROH analysis of the experience of ticket bookers. A random selection of Friends were included.” 

I asked the direct question as to whether I could submit my own responses. I was asked not to do this. I’m not surprised as no doubt the survey designers are looking to draw statistically valid conclusions which could be put at risk if a number of responses were submitted by people self selecting to make their opinions known. I have sympathy with the argument and so won’t submit a response. I might well look at the survey as I’m interested in what was asked.

But there seem to be two explanations as regards which Friends were included: all Friends who’d ticked the ‘accept email contact’ (although that seemed incorrect as a number of posters have said they hadn’t received the survey despite ticking the ‘accept email’ box); and the random sample suggested above. 

My contact went on to say there’ll be a second survey:

“We in the membership team, are very keen to gain an understanding of the experiences from our whole membership base though, and so are planning to carry out a survey ourselves to all of our members. We don't as yet have an exact date for this, however hope it will be not too far in the distant future.”

I’ll look forward to seeing what emerges from this first survey and what the second survey covers.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just had another Friends' survey which I've just completed - 

We love hearing from our Friends and really value your feedback. Therefore, we have put together what we hope is the most comprehensive membership survey yet, to help us find out what you think about being a Friend and how you use your membership.

We recently asked you to take part in another survey and appreciate that two surveys in a few weeks is a big ask. As a thank you for completing this one as well, we are delighted to offer you some exclusive prizes. Winners will be selected at random, so if you would like to enter the draw please supply your email address when prompted. Your survey answers, however, will remain completely anonymous. 

The prizes are:

• Two Stalls Circle rehearsal tickets to the 2023/24 Season rehearsal of your choice, followed by a private tour and an afternoon tea.
  • A pair of pointe shoes signed by Marianela Nuñez.
  • Two champagne vouchers for the performance of your choice.
  • Six bundles of Friends’ merchandise and other goodies from our shop.
Edited by MJW
  • Thanks 1

'sample' is an interesting choice of word. This is targetted at selected demographics, imo It's certainly what I would do.

The Elizabeth Line straight through from Reading and Essex (to Tottenham Court Road) in 40-minutes won't have harmed them, nor will HS2 albeit in 8 or 9 years. The number of potential customers one, two, three hours away is growing significantly now, and will rocket later.

Incidentally, the under 30s thing is also happening at The Coliseum and some theatres. Feels like a coordinated initiative ..

1 hour ago, postie said:

Incidentally, the under 30s thing is also happening at The Coliseum and some theatres. Feels like a coordinated initiative ..

I would not be surprised to learn of Arts Council Funding fingers in that pie

• Like 1

This one is marginally better constructed than the first but still contains some basic howlers (eg mutually exclusive options that ignore people’s actual behaviour). 

Nonetheless the exercise may be helpful in some ways, let’s hope so. However, and above all, it is very sad that none of their latest questions (unless I missed something) are aimed at anything other than getting more money from Friends. What about our many years of experience, knowledge, enthusiasm? Our demonstrable commitment to the arts of opera and ballet? Surely what is these days known as “human capital” could also benefit the ROH, not just our cash? 

It is short-sighted to see Friends only as a resource to be squeezed for more money, rather than also to help support the institution in other ways (eg spreading the word, attracting new and future audiences and so on). One suspects only “marketing” types were involved, rather than those with real experience of strategic business development.   

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 11

In one of my comments in the current ROH survey I said it was a pity that some if the ROH most loyal supporters and Friends are being prevented from visiting as often as they would like because of substantial increase in ticket prices (my favourite seat prices have doubled since 2019).

I also said it would be good if we could be rewarded by discounts if we bought so many tickets (especially as the package discounts have been discontinued). This may also encourage more people to become Friends and benefit the ROH in the long term.

• Like 7

I thought the second survey was going to all Friends, not a sample, and the  introduction (MJW’s post above) refers to the ‘most comprehensive membership survey yet’ so I rather assumed all Friends would be contacted.
I haven’t as yet received anything unless something was posted. Are other Friends similarly waiting for the survey?

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
Just now, JohnS said:

I thought the second survey was going to all Friends, not a sample, and the  introduction (MJW’s post above) refers to the ‘most comprehensive membership survey yet’ so I rather assumed all Friends would be contacted.
I haven’t as yet received anything unless something was posted. Are other Friends similarly waiting for the survey?

Mine has not arrived either. I had assumed because I am not in the UK they didn't care. Perhaps sending in batches?

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

In one of my comments in the current ROH survey I said it was a pity that some if the ROH most loyal supporters and Friends are being prevented from visiting as often as they would like because of substantial increase in ticket prices (my favourite seat prices have doubled since 2019).

I also said it would be good if we could be rewarded by discounts if we bought so many tickets (especially as the package discounts have been discontinued). This may also encourage more people to become Friends and benefit the ROH in the long term.

I said precisely the same thing. and pointed out that many less affluent pensioners, who are never included in any discounts, are being completely priced out. Too much to hope, no doubt, that if lots of us make the same observation, they might actually take some notice.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Mine has not arrived either. I had assumed because I am not in the UK they didn't care. Perhaps sending in batches?

They did say that the second survey would go to all Friends. The latest survey was prefaced by an apology for sending out two surveys within a short period. Perhaps they are therefore sending out the first batch to those who have already been contacted and will send a differently worded preface and survey to those who haven't. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

I haven't received it yet either.

• Thanks 2

I think it would be great if they could reinstate the subscription discount where you get 5% or 10% off (depending on seating area/ticket price) for buying each of the different ballet programmes. That would a) help them shift the less easily marketable shows, b) reward the loyal regulars who support every work and not just the “popular classics”. It may be reasonable to exclude Nutcracker from the subscription as  1) Nutcracker never needs help selling, 2) many regulars don’t necessarily want to watch Nutcracker every year, and may prefer to spend on a second cast of an Ashton or MacMillan ballet/mixed bill.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I think it would be great if they could reinstate the subscription discount where you get 5% or 10% off (depending on seating area/ticket price) for buying each of the different ballet programmes.

that's such a good idea, it has absolutely no chance of coming into being  😞

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I think it would be great if they could reinstate the subscription discount where you get 5% or 10% off (depending on seating area/ticket price) for buying each of the different ballet programmes.

Wasn't it 18% or so for the package booking discount? Though I guess even 5% or 10% would be better than nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Wasn't it 18% or so for the package booking discount? Though I guess even 5% or 10% would be better than nothing.

It depended on location and type of package - it was pretty measly for the freeform Amphi subscription.

If they do reintroduce discounts I'd like them to include the cheaper price bands this time.

• Like 3

I got the survey too but the prices were so ridiculous i said no to all of the  scenarios!  They are not on this planet.

Since covid I have seen much less ballet and I have to say it's better, as I appreciate what I do see more.  Just saw a lovely performance of Jewels in Munich, and for pretty much the same cost as a trip to London, only with a far superior seat for a lot less money....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, it used to be more generous ie in the 18% bracket or above for some packages (and once they even did 50% off for children accompanied by an adult in certain areas). But they did have 5% and 10% too. I’m not sure if the “generosity” was related to sponsorship being given for that or if they’d calculated that those seating areas didn’t sell well. Also, opera was always more generously discounted than ballet! My feeling is that if they have to maximise income, it is better to start off at 5% (for a mix and match of a few programmes) or 10% (for buying everything, Nutcracker not included) than to be more generous than they need to be. I must say I used to think that 18% was a strange choice - why not 15% or 20%? Psychologically, customers tend to think of 18% as “oh it’s not 20%” rather than “Wow, that’s better than 15%”!  

The thing is that if regulars don’t get anything at all, it is easy to think, well I won’t go for that new work or [non-Ashton] triple bill until I hear/read what others thought.....and then they often eventually end up not going/booking at all. If you’ve pre bought it as part of your subscription, it’s already paid for so you just go to it without hesitating and then conclude that you liked at least some of it, or that you liked all of it.

Also, any last minute discounting should be offered to all Friends and regular patrons (by regular I mean someone who buys tickets every booking period). Yes, they might have already paid for one performance of that programme but they might buy more tickets to bring friends/family or attend an extra show if it was discounted. They’re the most reliable source of support - they should be the most obvious people to send the offer to.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

If they do reintroduce discounts I'd like them to include the cheaper price bands this time.

6 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I got the survey too but the prices were so ridiculous i said no to all of the  scenarios!  They are not on this planet.

I totally agree with both of these comments. And prices in the cheaper amphitheatre seats have risen by jaw dropping amounts. They need to drastically rethink these prices or they most certainly will not meet any inclusivity criteria (for which, by the way, it is disingenuous in the extreme to claim that these criteria are met by giving away tickets to students and other young people).

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 8

On 04/03/2023 at 23:27, JohnS said:

I haven't received anything either.

Although I did contact Mr Beard regarding the incredibly expensive ticket prices and I received a very bland reply that ignored every point I raised. It was obviously just a standard generic  response and therefore not of any use to me. At this point I doubt he even read my email. 

So I'm not surprised I have not been contacted as i am not a happy Friend!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Since covid I have seen much less ballet and I have to say it's better, as I appreciate what I do see more.  Just saw a lovely performance of Jewels in Munich, and for pretty much the same cost as a trip to London, only with a far superior seat for a lot less money....

This is what I am planning to do in the future. I am heartbroken at ROH ticket prices now- add that to train fares and hotel costs and it becomes one huge ridiculous cost!

So I'm hoping to visit Amsterdam/ Germany/France/Denmark...... so many choices.

Maybe ROH will realise that yes these prices are impossible for most of us and yes that equals elitist!!!

Edited by Sharon
Spell
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

For a ticket to a Tchaikovsky ballet in a nice seat, would you:

a) remortgage your home

b) sell a kidney

c) sell your youngest child to slave traders

d) all of the above

• Like 14

11 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

For a ticket to a Tchaikovsky ballet in a nice seat, would you:

a) remortgage your home

b) sell a kidney

c) sell your youngest child to slave traders

d) all of the above

a) Don't own one

b) Sure!

c) Haven't got any but hey I have nieces and nephews

d) Well duh.

In actual fact I was just looking up prices and exchange rates for Cinderella because I'll be in England in the last week of April (squee!!!) and 😳😳😳 it's so expensive but then again it's Ashton.

So I'm going to at least one performance, and here I'd like to thank everyone on this Forum and all the discussions over the years because I was able to work out where to purchase with a decent view within my budget. Laura Morera naturally, as I won't have another opportunity to see her in a lead role.

Then the week after to Paris and the Béjart programme 😍 - I decided if I could go to the US I could come home via Europe instead of San Francisco. After Paris it's Italy and the Giro d'Italia opening weekend, then Zürich to see my best school friend.

• Like 6

I’ve been in touch with Friends Membership about not receiving the second survey. They tell me I should have received the survey and are checking to see what’s happened.

I said I wasn’t the only person who hadn’t received the second survey so hopefully the survey will end up being distributed to all Friends.

I wonder if the second survey has only been emailed to those sent the first survey rather than all Friends as intended?

• Thanks 1

I didn't receive the first survey, but was sent the second ('Friends only') one on Friday. 

Like previous posters, I said that I missed the discounted booking packages and that prices across the board are now too high to see several casts, which (I imagine) is what a lot of friends like to be able to do. 

I'm not entirely sure how much of the actual detail they will read/take on board from these surveys, but I also mentioned that they should put more casting info out earlier i.e., Lilac Fairy, Carabosse etc. 

• Like 6

On 05/03/2023 at 00:08, jmhopton said:

I received the survey. It’s odd it’s not been sent out to all. 

It’s a shame the comment boxes were more of a just a line (poor design!) but I wrote nearly the exact same thing.

I noted for me one key benefit of Membership was priority booking. But if there are some seasons where I don’t end up booking anything at all. For example before Morera’s retirement was announced I’m not sure I would have made any bookings, and nearly didn’t make any bookings, I know the summer season is often lighter but there were really only 2-3 programmes each booking season, of which one was one I’d often seen before and has expensive tickets (eg your Tchaikovsky ballets or the big MacMillan ones), and then that meant it’s really only been Diamonds/Woolf Works/Cinderella that have been my big incentives each booking season. I remember a few years ago there would be several things I’d get excited about each booking period. 

Primarily a lack of diversity in programming, combined with increased ticket prices is reducing my visits to ROH heavily. Yes I’d like to see swan lake/sleeping beauty/nutcracker again even if I have seen it before but I  can’t afford/wouldn’t be willing to pay to see them at what it’s currently costing (unless there’s a new cast I really want to see), I can’t justify it given I have seen it before!

So if you count out the classics that are repeated often, there is very little for me for to see if other programs aren’t being scheduled. This means my membership will likely be terminated this year, unless their programming strategy for next year changes radically (even then if the ticket prices remain high I’m not sure I can afford it but I may try one more year to support ROH). The cost of my membership could fund anything between 2-3 tickets over the year  (which if I reduce from the more than once a month visits I used to do down to every other month due to price increases, so 10+ visits a year down to 5-6 is actually a significant cost proportionally of my overall ROH spend). 

in brief I very much agree with all the comments already reflected and hopefully if everyone is writing the same things they’ll finally get it…?!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JNC said:

In brief I very much agree with all the comments already reflected and hopefully if everyone is writing the same things they’ll finally get it…?!

Still haven't received the survey (and didn't receive the first one either). They seem not to be sure to whom they've sent it - how can that be? If it was supposed to go to all, why have all not received it? If only to some, how were they selected? Will the selection affect the results? (I've just emailed the Friends office to ask about this.)

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've received an answer saying that the survey was sent out to all Friends 'except those who had previously opted out of certain types of marketing'. However 'due to demand' they're now sending it out to those people too and we should receive it by the end of today. I am a little bemused by this, since I'm not aware that I've opted out of any ROH marketing, so I've asked for clarification.

P. S. I've just checked my account, and the only type of contact I've opted out of is 'Supporting us', which I assumed to be linked to requests for extra financial support which I know I would not be able to offer. That doesn't seem to me like a good reason for excluding me from ticket price surveys.

Edited by bridiem
Paragraph added
  • Like 3

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I've received an answer saying that the survey was sent out to all Friends 'except those who had previously opted out of certain types of marketing'. However 'due to demand' they're now sending it out to those people too and we should receive it by the end of today. I am a little bemused by this, since I'm not aware that I've opted out of any ROH marketing, so I've asked for clarification.

I am also opted in to all ROH marketing and didn't receive the survey. I wasn't aware that there was separate opt in/out for Friends.