Royal Opera House Winter season 2022/23 booking experiences

My sympathy, that's what happened to me booking Friends+

i logged out, went in again, and got my most important tickets, then out and in again- a long, slow, frustrating and very annoying process. Frustrating, because, I kept getting in - then it would suddenly throw me back to the beginning.

• Like 1

I've not had any problems with the queueing - as I have always got straight in this morning.  What HAS troubled me is that wanting to book multiple dates for a couple of shows I find that after two for any one event it tells me that I have a conflict and if I want to go further my other bookings will be eliminated.  This means that I have to complete that booking (i.e., pay) and then go back and book the next two for that event - and so on and so forth.  They obviously don't want to encourage people in going to more than a couple of performances.  It also makes it very easy to confuse or duplicate dates.  NOT CLEAR ROH.  Very frustrating.  Has anyone else had this experience - or am I JUST DOING SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T???  An expiring mind would love to know.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Thanks for the sympathy, Mary! I finally got a couple of tickets in the basket and then like Bruce I had to buy them and go back in, re-joining the end of the queue. I will try again later on when it might have settled down a bit, but it hasn't been a great experience and my choice of cheap tickets will obviously be much worse..

• Like 1

I found it ok this morning, sorry to hear others are (still!) having issues. 

@Bruce Wall not sure if this is what you meant but I was able to book three Sleeping Beauty dates this morning without getting any sort of error/conflict message? (I.e. I was able to check out without hassle for multiple dates in the same basket.)

Unless what you meant was:

What I do find annoying is when you add tickets to your basket for a performance (i.e. in order to 'reserve' them) you then get automatically directed to the checkout screen. That means if you are booking for multiple performances or multiple dates you have to then go back and search for the performance and go through all the click through pages to book another performance and scroll down to the date you want. At least in my experience this hasn't led to me having to rejoin any queue but it does waste time searching and clicking through and scrolling down. They have the clever function when you're in the seat map for a particular show to drop down across all dates, so if you were able to book multiple performance dates in one go using this tool that would be amazing. 

I think other sites I've used allow you to add tickets to your basket and then simply keep browsing, and then when you want to check out you can click to do so, rather than automatically redirecting your page to the checkout page meaning you start all over again if you want to add more tickets. If there is any way they could fix that it would be ideal! 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JNC said:

What I do find annoying is when you add tickets to your basket for a performance (i.e. in order to 'reserve' them) you then get automatically directed to the checkout screen. That means if you are booking for multiple performances or multiple dates you have to then go back and search for the performance and go through all the click through pages to book another performance and scroll down to the date you want. At least in my experience this hasn't led to me having to rejoin any queue but it does waste time searching and clicking through and scrolling down. They have the clever function when you're in the seat map for a particular show to drop down across all dates, so if you were able to book multiple performance dates in one go using this tool that would be amazing. 

There's probably room for improvement, but when I want to book more than one performance of the same show I just use the back button in my browser rather than start again. But maybe that doesn't work for everyone, seeing as we all seem to have had a different experience of booking this time.

• Like 1

At one stage I got an error message saying I'd exceeded my limit for the performance (when I hadn't yet booked any tickets for it) - I just tried again and it was OK that time. Other than that, long-winded and clunky (as per JNC's post above) but worked OK.

42 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

There's probably room for improvement, but when I want to book more than one performance of the same show I just use the back button in my browser rather than start again. But maybe that doesn't work for everyone, seeing as we all seem to have had a different experience of booking this time.

Maybe I'll try that next time; I always fear that if I do that I will undo what I've done, so to speak. But if it works for you maybe it would be OK!

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I found it ok this morning, sorry to hear others are (still!) having issues. 

@Bruce Wall not sure if this is what you meant but I was able to book three Sleeping Beauty dates this morning without getting any sort of error/conflict message? (I.e. I was able to check out without hassle for multiple dates in the same basket.)

Unless what you meant was:

I think other sites I've used allow you to add tickets to your basket and then simply keep browsing, and then when you want to check out you can click to do so, rather than automatically redirecting your page to the checkout page meaning you start all over again if you want to add more tickets. If there is any way they could fix that it would be ideal! 

Thanks so for your kind advice, JNC.  It is, I assure you, much appreciated - even if the 'fiddly' nature of the new ROH enterprise isn't entirely.  So much for progress.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

What I do find annoying is when you add tickets to your basket for a performance (i.e. in order to 'reserve' them) you then get automatically directed to the checkout screen. That means if you are booking for multiple performances or multiple dates you have to then go back and search for the performance and go through all the click through pages to book another performance and scroll down to the date you want.

When booking for multiple performances of any one production, I find the quickest way to book for a second (and subsequent dates) is to use the 'history' function on my device. After putting a ticket for any particular date into my basket, I then use the history function. This allows me to go straight back to the production page so as to be able to choose my second date.  I then repeat the process for further dates.

• Like 5

I had no problems at all but did book all my tickets separately because I wanted to feel safe that I'd got the seats I wanted.  I really liked the 'seat view' that now automatically comes up, too.  But I did get a new 'invitation to donate' screen which suddenly popped up asking for payment for hard hats for backstage crew - not seen that before - anyone else had that?

22 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I had no problems at all but did book all my tickets separately because I wanted to feel safe that I'd got the seats I wanted.  I really liked the 'seat view' that now automatically comes up, too.  But I did get a new 'invitation to donate' screen which suddenly popped up asking for payment for hard hats for backstage crew - not seen that before - anyone else had that?

I have gotten it every time I decline the 3GBP "suggested" donation 

55 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

No, I didn't get this. That's incredibly manipulative (as I suppose it's meant to be): donate or the backstage crew will get their heads bashed in by falling scenery...

• Like 2

Have others tried using multiple tabs to book at the same time? (Or even multiple devices?)

I feel it might work but I worry being signed in in multiple locations may cause me to potentially lose everything. 

it is not ideal but having multiple tabs ready to go could also help with booking multiple performances at the same time without having to click back or or go round from the start again? 

• Like 1

I had a frustrating time at 9am, I could access every performance I wanted but after clicking the seat, nothing happened for about 10 minutes, I kept re-clicking but it was completely stuck, then the picture came up out of the blue, once I had the ticket in my basket it was okay until I clicked on the next ticket and the same thing happened, after 4 times I went to the payment part which was normal and straightforward! When I re-started for the 5th ticket the long delay after clicking on the seat happened again. 

I was happy with the tickets I bought, I did notice that the right side of middle row S in the amphi has been allocated for wheelchair users, which I'm not complaining about, it makes sense as they are near the lifts, that's why I liked them.

Bit of an all-round muddle again by the sounds of it, I felt the system was going to pack up but it didn't.

35 minutes ago, JNC said:

Have others tried using multiple tabs to book at the same time? (Or even multiple devices?)

I feel it might work but I worry being signed in in multiple locations may cause me to potentially lose everything. 

it is not ideal but having multiple tabs ready to go could also help with booking multiple performances at the same time without having to click back or or go round from the start again? 

I routinely use multiple tabs (having them open in time for 9am and waiting for the "buy tickets" buttons to activate themselves) and haven't had any problems. I've also occasionally booked across more than one device - when I've had problems with one or the other - and that has worked fine too.

Edited by Lizbie1
sloppiness
  • Like 2

I had no trouble this morning. No queuing or any issues at all - in fact, it was all very slick and professional. I did book about 10:15 this morning, so maybe it wasn't as busy? I only booked two tickets for one performance though, so it was pretty uncomplicated. I'm so sorry some have had problems - that's incredibly frustrating! :( I hope nobody experiences further issues :) 

• Like 2

I booked about 10.30am and no queue! I only wanted 3 SB tickets and once I got over the shock of the prices (£70 for a restricted Stalls circle, £112 for front row amphi!) it was fairly quick and stress free.  I like the new facility whereas if you have a credit voucher if you click the voucher link it comes up with your credit instead of you having to put the number in. Also good the seat view always comes up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I booked about 10.30am and no queue! I only wanted 3 SB tickets and once I got over the shock of the prices (£70 for a restricted Stalls circle, £112 for front row amphi!) it was fairly quick and stress free.  I like the new facility whereas if you have a credit voucher if you click the voucher link it comes up with your credit instead of you having to put the number in. Also good the seat view always comes up.

I went for the stalls tickets I really like and though not shocked, as I already knew what the prices for SB would be, I did feel a bit uncomfortable about paying nearly £20 more per ticket than I paid for SL in May! I do understand the necessity of a price increase but do feel  a nearly £20 a ticket hike is a bit much. Didn't stop me buying them but made me wince when pressing that order button! It may mean I don't come back in May for the next performances of SB, or I have to rethink my seat options.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2022 at 12:38, maryrosesatonapin said:

Ah, that must be why then.  I declined for the first time because I was doing lots of separate bookings.  Irritating!

I get that donation all the time too but can't decline, so I reduce to £1.  It's really rather cheeky of ROH to force a donation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silke H said:

I get that donation all the time too but can't decline, so I reduce to £1.  It's really rather cheeky of ROH to force a donation.

That's odd. I decline it all the time. 

Just now, Silke H said:

lucky you. it doesn't work for me, neither on Google Chrome nor on MS Edge browser.

That really is odd. I use Edge as well. Definitely a complaint to the ROH. 

Silke H I get the problem with the donation too! I don’t seem to be able to reject it so reduce to £1 for some tickets as well!!

I book on my iPhone using Safari 

I usually don’t have any other problems when  booking though. 
I will only be booking Wolf Works at the ROH in the Winter season so should be even easier than usual ….once made up mind which performance/s that is….saving SB for the Spring/ summer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Silke H I get the problem with the donation too! I don’t seem to be able to reject it so reduce to £1 for some tickets as well!!

I book on my iPhone using Safari 

I usually don’t have any other problems when  booking though. 
I will only be booking Wolf Works at the ROH in the Winter season so should be even easier than usual ….once made up mind which performance/s that is….saving SB for the Spring/ summer. 

You shouldn't be forced to make a donation. 

I am booking on my laptop (Chrome or Edge) and see this. Perhaps the phone formatting is different? Definitely make the ROH aware

image.png.7fd910f39baea2b5eb74dff5083ba525.png

Edited by oncnp