Guest oncnp

Guest oncnp

Royal Opera House announces biggest Cinema Season ever (roh.org.uk)

• cinema goers can join The Royal Ballet for the opening night of Kenneth MacMillan’s Mayerling
  •  opening night of The Royal Ballet: A Diamond Celebration – including George Balanchine’s Diamonds, the Company’s first performance of For Four by Artistic Associate Christopher Wheeldon, and three world premieres – will be relayed live in November; 
  • in December, The Nutcracker will reach audiences across the globe, offering sweeping snowscapes, magical stagecraft and a showstopping series of dances performed in the dream-like Kingdom of Sweets.
  • The new year kicks off with screenings of Like Water for Chocolate – a full-length ballet by Christopher Wheeldon that receives its premiere this current Season, and is inspired by Laura Esquivel’s captivating Mexican novel of the same name. 
  • The Royal Ballet’s new production of Frederick Ashton’s Cinderella, redesigned by a world-class creative team that includes set designer Tom Pye, Oscar award-winning costume designer Alexandra Byrne, lighting designer David Finn, video designer Finn Ross and magic consultant Chris Fisher (Live)
  •  live relay of The Royal Ballet’s The Sleeping Beauty;  ( May)
Edited by oncnp

I'd have thought 6 screenings of the season (or 5, really, since one is a recording from the current season) was the "old normal"?  I knew about the first two, but not about the rest, so thanks for that.

• Like 2

I don't know if this is the correct place to mention this but during the Swan lake cinema broadcast interval Kevin O'Hare gave some details about the next cinema season.  It seemed to be back to full strength with at least 10 Opera and ballet broadcasts. He mentioned Mayerling specifically. The first performance is being livestreamed starring Ryio Hirano (no mention of who is playing Mary Vestera). Also Like Water for Chocolate is being shown at cinemas in January which surprised me as I assumed it would be being streamed. I think all the full length ballets are being broadcast, including, of course, Cinderella.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I don't know if this is the correct place to mention this but during the Swan lake cinema broadcast interval Kevin O'Hare gave some details about the next cinema season.  It seemed to be back to full strength with at least 10 Opera and ballet broadcasts. He mentioned Mayerling specifically. The first performance is being livestreamed starring Ryio Hirano (no mention of who is playing Mary Vestera). Also Like Water for Chocolate is being shown at cinemas in January which surprised me as I assumed it would be being streamed. I think all the full length ballets are being broadcast, including, of course, Cinderella.

Indeed. Have a vested interest as two of my artists are sharing Katharina Schratt during this run. No mention of the Vetsera, or, indeed, of the Larisch. Wondering if Laura Morera will go sideways as Elisabeth and if we might get to see Romany Pajdak as Larisch…

• alison changed the title to ROH Cinema Season 2022/23
1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

(no mention of who is playing Mary Vestera)

Osipova, I assume.  They'd presumably want to justify another DVD, although I can't see that we need yet another one.

5 hours ago, alison said:

Osipova, I assume.  They'd presumably want to justify another DVD, although I can't see that we need yet another one.

I hope so, regarding the DVD. Personally speaking I'd buy a DVD of every filmed performance if it was available (and often regret wonderful filmed performances that aren't available to rewatch in some format). If it's already filmed, why not? Or at least release a downloadable version (for a price) if the distribution is too expensive. It's not necessary to buy any you don't want of course 🙂

• Like 6

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

This is a great line-up of ballets. Wonderful! I hope that they’ll all be offered in US cinemas too. Also, I wouldn’t mind purchasing the DVDs/Blu-Rays after the cinema airings. 💕 

Not in my neck of the US unfortunately. The closest Swan Lake is 70 miles and with gas prices being what they are, not feasible.  The one theatre in my are that did show the ROH (six months later) closed down d/t COVID and is being "redeveloped"

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Not in my neck of the US unfortunately. The closest Swan Lake is 70 miles and with gas prices being what they are, not feasible.  The one theatre in my are that did show the ROH (six months later) closed down d/t COVID and is being "redeveloped"

So sorry about that, oncnp. Not the rosiest of times now for anyone. I try to hang on to life in the DC area, close to independent cinemas, but it’s all becoming very expensive.  Even here, things are closing down or quality of everything, in general, is going downhill while prices go up.

Do live cinema relays get streamed as well?

and if not why not, do they worry it’ll affect cinema revenue although presumably if you release the stream after and also people will always want a “cinema experience”, but even if so overall it will probably make more profit? 

I think the cinema streams are great but not everyone lives close to one. I would like to see more or the same number of live streams as well to facilitate people being able to watch at home (ideally live but if not possible to rent for say a month or so after). 

• Like 4

It might be that their agreement with the cinemas precludes it? I can see why that might be so: cinemas would balk at competing with that audience and not show it. (I don't know what cinemas make on the average live screening but it can't be a fortune.)

Streaming is definitely more accessible, for those who aren't in close proximity to a cinema or those who may have mobility concerns preventing them to travel.

Just wondering, what would be the financial barrier to making more online streams available? I would think that they could charge a relatively reasonable monthly fee which might give users access to a few streams to watch - in a model similar to Amazon Prime or Netflix. I can think of many people (including myself) who would gladly pay a subscription for it. It would also bring in new audiences.

• Like 1

I thought they were looking into developing and expanding their streaming platform. Back in (I think) November last year I was asked by the ROH development team if I was available to take part in a demo to see what the site might look like / how it would work. Annoyingly work commitments got in the way so I wasn't able to take part. 

But I agree, streaming is definitely more accessible than the cinema and it also has the added bonus, if they go for a Netflix/Amazon Prime style, of being able to watch the streams whenever you want. I know that you can do this if you have all the DVDs which I do, but I'm a rarity among my friends (in our 30s) in that I still have a DVD player - in fact my ballet DVDs are the only reason I still have it! 

• Like 4

Indeed - I have a few ballet DVDs and have been tempted to purchase some more, but mainly for my grandparents. I watch all content online mainly through Amazon Prime and YouTube, and I feel that there's not much point buying DVDs if I'm not going to use them! But I still really want to watch the ballets. I have the Marquee TV app on my phone, which I also use a lot for watching ballet/opera on the go. It would be great if the ROH could have their own version of that...

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2022 at 05:31, art_enthusiast said:

Streaming is definitely more accessible, for those who aren't in close proximity to a cinema or those who may have mobility concerns preventing them to travel.

Just wondering, what would be the financial barrier to making more online streams available? I would think that they could charge a relatively reasonable monthly fee which might give users access to a few streams to watch - in a model similar to Amazon Prime or Netflix. I can think of many people (including myself) who would gladly pay a subscription for it. It would also bring in new audiences.

When I subscribed to Marquee they showed a good many of the RB productions. Not a livestream, of course, but quite a few that had been streamed in the past. I eventually dropped them because the ballet productions seemed to have fallen off. Would pick them up again if they would get more.

• 1 month later...

I spotted that the Barbican cinema is showing Like Water for Chocolate on 22 Jan 2023.  I assume it's not the only one, so this gives some indication when the filmed version will be available. NB the Barbican has published dates for showing RB's Nutcracker (11 Dec) , Mayerling (9 Oct) and Diamonds mixed bill (20 Nov).  (These are described as live but must be encore performances - they are later than the filming dates)

Details

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2023/event/like-water-for-chocolate

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone worked out which Nutcracker they're showing?  The earliest any of my locals are showing it is 8th December, so it must be one of the first ones.  However, it's also showing up as "Recorded", so presumably one of the very early ones.  Unless, of course, it's a repeat, which I have no way of knowing. 

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, alison said:

Has anyone worked out which Nutcracker they're showing?  The earliest any of my locals are showing it is 8th December, so it must be one of the first ones.  However, it's also showing up as "Recorded", so presumably one of the very early ones.  Unless, of course, it's a repeat, which I have no way of knowing. 

Camera seats show as blocked for 6th, 7th and 8th so perhaps they haven't decided yet?

to add: as the 7th is Nunez, and she's had it before, I would bet on the 6th or 8th

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, alison said:

It's live on the 8th  December - Kaneko/Bracewell paring. I stupidly booked to see it at ROH for that performance, thinking the live cinema relay was the week after! Never mind!  https://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas. I've just realised there are encore performances, so I can watch again at a later date.

Go down the list, don't look at the first Nutcracker from July  - you need to scroll down and all the live relays are listed. 

Edited by Linnzi5
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/05/2022 at 23:26, alison said:

Yes, ROH Stream seems to have hit an obstacle, or something.  I thought it was supposed to be relaunching?

Found the following on the ROH website:

The Royal Opera House streaming service will relaunch in autumn 2022 with a season of exciting productions. We look forward to announcing our new streaming season in the coming weeks.

https://www.roh.org.uk/stream/

There's a 'register for updates' option but it's not 'clickable'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Found the following on the ROH website:

The Royal Opera House streaming service will relaunch in autumn 2022 with a season of exciting productions. We look forward to announcing our new streaming season in the coming weeks.

https://www.roh.org.uk/stream/

There's a 'register for updates' option but it's not 'clickable'.

That's good news! Thanks for  sharing! :)

I may be missing something but how can LWFC possibly be “live”, it’s the recorded performance from this summer?

ROH really should change the wording of this (first stream then encore?) as many of the other cinema is events are “live” streams. 

they seem to have managed to reflect Sean Lake, Romeo and Juliet and others are screenings of recorded performances so it feels incorrect and slightly disingenuous to say LWFC is live. 

• Like 2

Am interested in the ROH streaming platform, as they have been working on it for quite a while. I got to see the beta trial version last winter (content was mostly a selection from their DVD archive) and was asked to participate in focus group research in July (but I couldn't do the date). Fwiw, I think the ROH — similar to many covid disrupted companies — is seeking an always-on subscription based revenue stream, but robust digital products are hard to build 🤓

• Like 3

ROH website really is the most clunky non user friendly & impossible to navigate to get the content you want - much less book what you want! - of any out there!!! Surely they are aware they need major work on it in ALL areas? I’d also like tk be able to just have one site or click through JUST for ballet cutting out Opera/Tours etc etc 

Trying to search or use tabs just does not work satisfactorily at all IMHO.

Always frustrating & takes an age to actually drill down to info you want & even then get so much you don’t & also very odd ordering at times 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2