Guest oncnp

I had an invite from the ROH last month regarding its future streaming (as below). Unfortunately I couldn't go as I was working but hopefully this research will be of some value - 

I work with the Royal Opera House as a User Experience Researcher. I am contacting you as we are conducting some research to improve the experience of streaming ROH content online.

The sessions will be scheduled at the Royal Opera House on Thursday 21 July and each session will last up to 90 minutes. You will take part in a research session with two other participants, working together to group information into categories. The results of this exercise will then be used to help organise some content on our website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MJW said:

I had an invite from the ROH last month regarding its future streaming (as below). Unfortunately I couldn't go as I was working but hopefully this research will be of some value - 

I work with the Royal Opera House as a User Experience Researcher. I am contacting you as we are conducting some research to improve the experience of streaming ROH content online.

The sessions will be scheduled at the Royal Opera House on Thursday 21 July and each session will last up to 90 minutes. You will take part in a research session with two other participants, working together to group information into categories. The results of this exercise will then be used to help organise some content on our website.

It would be great to hear from anyone who did go - this sounds like it was a very useful research session for them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

ROH website really is the most clunky non user friendly & impossible to navigate to get the content you want - much less book what you want! - of any out there!!! Surely they are aware they need major work on it in ALL areas? I’d also like tk be able to just have one site or click through JUST for ballet cutting out Opera/Tours etc etc 

Trying to search or use tabs just does not work satisfactorily at all IMHO.

Always frustrating & takes an age to actually drill down to info you want & even then get so much you don’t & also very odd ordering at times 🤷🏻‍♀️

I find it's worth being a Friend just because you get direct links to the current booking season without having to 'drill down' to whatever performances you want. However, the ROH used to perform this useful service for free with their annual calendar, listing every ballet/opera by season. Then of course they discontinued it in favour of the clunky un-user friendly offering they have now.

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 1

Yes, "clunky" is a good word to describe the current system, whilst I have been able to book everything I have wanted in the end, it is a slow procedure, easy to click on the wrong view from seat (I'm sure they were trying to get me to buy L71) and fairly difficult using Gift Certificates in particular.

• 3 months later...

Not really the right thread for this but it doesn't seem worth starting a separate one.

My local Vue cinema in Preston is starting a British Film Institute series and its first film on Dec 21st is one called Corsage. It is about an imaginary year in the life of  Empress Elizabeth of Austria (why does she need an imaginary one when she had such incredible events in her real one!) Just thought it might be of interest after Mayerling though the timing is rather unfortunate, so close to Christmas.

On 02/08/2022 at 08:02, JNC said:

I may be missing something but how can LWFC possibly be “live”, it’s the recorded performance from this summer?

ROH really should change the wording of this (first stream then encore?) as many of the other cinema is events are “live” streams. 

they seem to have managed to reflect Sean Lake, Romeo and Juliet and others are screenings of recorded performances so it feels incorrect and slightly disingenuous to say LWFC is live. 

I have a lot of sympathy for this view. 

I think the practice started n the music industry where the expressions a "live recording" (i.e. recorded during a concert performance) and a "studio recording" (i.e. in a studio with multiple tries & re-tries, editing together of parts that were recorded separately etc.)  are used.  By that comparison, this would be a "live recording" rather than a "studio recording".  

That being said, often recording theatre performances for a DVD etc is done over 2 performances so that any performance mishaps, technical mishaps, etc.  can be corrected in the edit and the preferred shots selected.  Occasionally, it does happen that there has to be a cast change - illness, injury - and most of the recording from one performance has to be used.  

But I think you are right.  They should distinguish between a "live recording" and a "live stream" (where it is watched as it happens - mistakes and all).  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I was interested in what you said about gift certificates/ vouchers Beryl as I may be using one soon after I had to return my Nutcracker ticket and now have credit….which they call a gift voucher. 
I asked the person on the phone at the box office if they were reasonably easy to use when paying for another performance and he seemed to think it would all be very straightforward on the pay page!! 
However once I’d put the phone down a question occurred what if the credit/gift amount doesn’t exactly match the ticket price? 
For example say you need to pay £10 more than the credit allowance does it redirect you back to the pay page to carry on paying with a card 🤔

Has anyone had any experience using a credit voucher yet? 

Yes- it really is easy! you are asked if you want to use one and it shows you what you have- and then you click on that and if it doesn't cover  the full sum,  your total to pay is reduced accordingly ( a nice feeling)

so if you have a voucher for £20 and you buy a ticket for £30, it just changes your value to pay to £10.

I have found it very user friendly......

• Like 1

This new booking system makes using Gift Vouchers easier, I had 5 to use up, so I booked 5 good seats and I only had to pay just £30.

I always write everything down on paper but the ROH personal page does list them all and their use-by date.

If you ask for a Gift Voucher then it doesn't matter if the ROH re-sells your old tickets or not, you still get paid!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beryl H said:

If you ask for a Gift Voucher then it doesn't matter if the ROH re-sells your old tickets or not, you still get paid!

(Minus a £4 admin fee.)

Annoyingly, I forgot that I had a gift voucher on my account when I booked this morning so I paid for it all by card. Even though I'd left a note for myself as a reminder to use the gift voucher. Ho hum.

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2022 at 10:55, oncnp said:

I thought it was odd that they wouldn't be broadcasting Beauty, since it's 3 1/2 years since the last one, just before Covid.  Does anyone know which performance?  It's not showing on the individual performances page.  I suspect it will be the Naghdi cast.

3 minutes ago, alison said:

I thought it was odd that they wouldn't be broadcasting Beauty, since it's 3 1/2 years since the last one, just before Covid.  Does anyone know which performance?  It's not showing on the individual performances page.  I suspect it will be the Naghdi cast.

The cinema page has live on 24 May which would be Naghdi/Ball