Royal Ballet’s fundraiser for Ukraine- Nuñez, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Osipova, Muntagirov in unique combined Swan Lake, 5 May

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Nina99 said:

The ROH instagram still says that  Muntagirov will play Siegfried.

Thank goodness for that! I did email the box office yesterday but haven't heard anything yet. 

I have just been on Instagram now and the statement there mirrors the one now on the ROH website which mentions the four female dancers but no mention of the Prince. Unless Vadim is mentioned elsewhere. 

Incidentally, how do you find written information on Instagram? All I can ever find are photos and videos and occasionally a very short post but no detailed text. I thought someone on the Forum said Osipova posted on Instagram about having covid but I couldn't see it.

11 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Thank goodness for that! I did email the box office yesterday but haven't heard anything yet. 

I have just been on Instagram now and the statement there mirrors the one now on the ROH website which mentions the four female dancers but no mention of the Prince. Unless Vadim is mentioned elsewhere. 

Incidentally, how do you find written information on Instagram? All I can ever find are photos and videos and occasionally a very short post but no detailed text. I thought someone on the Forum said Osipova posted on Instagram about having covid but I couldn't see it.

She posted it as a Story rather than a regular post...so it only lasted for 24 hours

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Thanks Rob.  How do you find stories on Instagram or any text?

Stories appear as a row of little circles at the top of the screen on your phone or laptop...scroll along to find the poster you are looking for. The algorithm pushes posters you look at regularly to the front (left) of the line and then the rest are in time order.

Edited by Rob S
  • Thanks 1

I checked with the box office re return of tickets as it says check website for returns but also says no refunds or credit vouchers given. Apparently if you want to return a Ukrainian ticket to the Box Office you have to do it as a gift and they will resell it.

I also asked about Vadim in the Swan Lake and they said an announcement should be made soon on the website. 

• Thanks 2

Good to know! I grabbed an ampi ticket at first in the initial rush but also found a balcony seat when there were some extras available, and I was wondering what to do with my spare ticket now.  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

New tickets on the website - SCS - for the Siegfried-less Swan Lake have appeared

Edited by oncnp

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

New tickets on the website - SCS - for the Siegfried-less Swan Lake have appeared

Perhaps a lucky member of the audience is picked to perform on the night!

• Like 3

Joking aside … it may have become difficult to have dancers of Russian origins (Muntagirov and Osipova) participating in a fundraiser, even if it is for the humanitarian need.  

Certainly difficult from the individuals’ own perspective, but also that the Ukrainian powers have been unwilling to support events where Russians have participated in Italy recently.

Guest oncnp
12 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Joking aside … it may have become difficult to have dancers of Russian origins (Muntagirov and Osipova) participating in a fundraiser, even if it is for the humanitarian need.  

Certainly difficult from the individuals’ own perspective, but also that the Ukrainian powers have been unwilling to support events where Russians have participated in Italy recently.

Perhaps but Osipova is still listed as participating and the ROH added this to the description

"The invasion of Ukraine is a tragedy which particularly resonates with the Royal Opera House given our long history of working with Ukrainian and Russian artists who continue to make an incredible contribution to the artistic excellence of our resident companies." which to my reading indicates support for their Russian artists. 

I'm wondering if the ROH is preparing a surprise guest for Siegfried as they have any number of other Siegfried's to hand if Muntagirov were ill or injured, which he doesn't appear to be (hopefully). 

Edited by oncnp

@oncnp perhaps. Although I read that as justification that the show will continue with both!  

I suppose there are any number of displaced principals that could be considered for Siegfried … Matvienko, Parish, Tissi , … etc.

Mayara Magri is partnered by Jacopo Tissi tonight at the annual YAGP gala … in black swan pdd.  

20 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I don't see how any of these suggestions have any weight.  I have attended a number of fundraising concerts that included Russian participants.  There were Russian participants in the Royal Opera's fundraising concert on Good Friday (including at least one member of the orchestra who has been very vocal in her support for Ukraine and has organised and taken part in a number of fundraising concerts herself).

Osipova is still listed as performing in the special Swan Lake.  I've not seen any complaints about that from any quarter, Ukrainian or otherwise.  The performance is sold out, which speaks volumes.

From my own perspective, I wholeheartedly applaud any Russian artist, whether here or elsewhere, who supports the Ukrainian cause.

[I am using Russian as shorthand to include anyone of Russian background.]

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Mayara Magri is partnered by Jacopo Tissi tonight at the annual YAGP gala … in black swan pdd.  

Sorry to go off topic but do you know if there's any chance this'll be streamed as I'd love to see it. I've had a quick Google but can only find mention of a gala back in January.

While a guest artist Siegfried would be interesting to see, would the ROH want to have to rehearse in & pay one when they have plenty of options among their existing Siegfrieds? It's not as if they need another name to sell tickets given it sold out within a couple of hours.

Edited by Dawnstar

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Sorry to go off topic but do you know if there's any chance this'll be streamed as I'd love to see it. I've had a quick Google but can only find mention of a gala back in January.

I agree a stream would be wondeful but when  bought my ticket with the "new" system it didn't look as if seats had been blocked for the cameras (clearly shown as blocked for the Ashton Triple).

Also agree a guest Siegfried wouldn't be necessary but would be great PR and answer those who ask what the ROH is doing for displaced dancers. 

Edited by oncnp

14 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I agree a stream would be wondeful but when  bought my ticket with the "new" system it didn't look as if seats had been blocked for the cameras (clearly shown as blocked for the Ashton Triple).

Oh no, I meant the YAGP Gala @FionaE referred to in her post, not the SL gala. I have no hope of that being streamed, given a normal performance is being cinecast a couple of weeks later.

@bangorballetboy you may not have heard about of the fundraising galas in Napoli and Milan recently which drew criticism from the Ukrainian consulate that Russian dancers were participating.  They told Ukrainian dancers not to participate alongside Russians (all of whom have been permanent artists in European companies for some years) and Ukrainian refugees  and potential audience not to attend.  The pressure was such, that the second of these galas (in Milan) changed their participants.

The Teatro Arcimboldi Milan subsequently issued this statement, after their gala …

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGGShrtsBC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Translation by google:

“ The Ukrainian government recently forced its artists not to relate to Russian culture and Russian authors or artists.
As #TeatroArcimboldiMilano we do not share this thought.
However, we decided to protect the Ukrainian artists who performed yesterday at the event dedicated to supporting the victims of the war and agreed with them to change the evening's program.
This choice allowed them to perform serenely and not to violate the laws enacted in their country and, in this painful moment, we wanted to protect them as much as possible.

The stage of a theater has always been the place where languages, cultures, arts and flags meet, dialogue and mix.
As #TAM we want to remember the importance of Russian culture for Western history and identity: an immense artistic heritage which cannot be ignored. “

Further….

I note the announcement by Wimbledon today, that tennis players from Russia and Belarus will not be participating at those championships this year, whereas they are at Roland Garros.

In my opinion, (and I absolutely abhor everything that is going on), the environment has changed since the RB Swan Lake fundraiser was originally announced.  In the current mode, I’m expecting cast changes.  I’d love for the RB not to have to bow to this pressure, but decisions may be made at higher levels.  It’s all so awful.  

Why would there be cast changes?  As far as I’m aware none of the dancers participating is Ukrainian so who would tell them not to dance with Russian dancers?  And why shouldn’t the Russian dancers be involved?  They have, at some risk, made their opposition to the Russian aggression in Ukraine very clear and very public, as have many other Russian artists.  

Unlike independent sports people, the RB Russian dancers have been an integral and much-loved part of the company for years, so to even suggest that they shouldn’t or might not participate in this gala or any other is totally unfair to them and their fans. They have given so much to the cultural life of this country;  why should they be made to pay for something that has nothing to do with them?  

• Like 14

I do so agree, Sim. I don’t know about Osipova but Muntagirov has been in the UK for half his life and is a British Citizen.

Incidentally, he featured alongside Yasmine Naghdi in the Ashton Insight last night, which was live-relayed. (They were a beautiful match-up, despite having had no rehearsal because they are not cast together .)

I do wish, however, the the ROH would clarify the casting for the special Swan Lake because the uncertainty they have created is not good in several respects.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Further….

I note the announcement by Wimbledon today, that tennis players from Russia and Belarus will not be participating at those championships this year, whereas they are at Roland Garros.

In my opinion, (and I absolutely abhor everything that is going on), the environment has changed since the RB Swan Lake fundraiser was originally announced.  In the current mode, I’m expecting cast changes.  I’d love for the RB not to have to bow to this pressure, but decisions may be made at higher levels.  It’s all so awful.  

But hasn’t the Wimbledon ban been made because these players were competing under Russia/Belarus, & thus the countries/regimes would benefit from any potential win? Not sure it’s relevant to the RB. 

Hardly think it’s fair or appropriate to ban dancers based on their nationalities. The dancers in question also live in the UK & have spoken out against the war publically. Where does the line get drawn? Also changing the scheduled Swan Lake due to the Russian origins? 🤔  I’d be disappointed if the RB didn’t apply common sense with this. 

A bit slow with writing this but essentially, fully agree with Sim. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

because the uncertainty they have created is not good in several respects.

have i missed something here?  what uncertainty has the RB created?

as far as i am aware, the published casting hasn't changed since the evening went on-sale, it remains:

"In a Company first, Principal dancers of The Royal Ballet Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nuñez and Natalia Osipova join forces to share the role of Odette/Odile across the four acts of this iconic repertory favourite."

as well as Muntagirov as Siegfried.  other than this, i have always assumed that the remaining casting will be decided closer to time based on availability and fitness to dance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lenore said:

Also changing the scheduled Swan Lake due to the Russian origins? 🤔  I’d be disappointed if the RB didn’t apply common sense with this.  

Has anyone suggested that Swan Lake should be changed because it's "Russian"?  This is getting ridiculous, as numerous orchestras and musicians have already pointed out in the past months.

(And tennis players don't play "under" anything at Wimbledon, which is why I see no point in banning individuals)

Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, PeterS said:

have i missed something here?  what uncertainty has the RB created?

as far as i am aware, the published casting hasn't changed since the evening went on-sale, it remains:

"In a Company first, Principal dancers of The Royal Ballet Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nuñez and Natalia Osipova join forces to share the role of Odette/Odile across the four acts of this iconic repertory favourite."

as well as Muntagirov as Siegfried.  other than this, i have always assumed that the remaining casting will be decided closer to time based on availability and fitness to dance. 

The uncertainty is surrounding Muntagirov - initally announced on IG (and I thought on the web page at one point) but now the box office has said (multiple times) that Siegfried is undecided.  

I gather that the response to this has been different in different countries. What might not go down well with the Ukrainian consulate (embassy?) in Italy might be viewed with equanimity by their London embassy - and indeed it would be a little odd for the Ambassador, having sat through the Coliseum gala that featured Osipova, to attempt to have her or indeed Muntagirov removed from the RB Swan Lake.

As for tennis: I read somewhere that the French Open might be holding off from banning Russian and Belarussian players because of timing considerations around the presidential elections. I'm not crazy about sporting bans myself but I do understand the reasoning that hosting these players "gives succour to the enemy" in a way that having ballet dancers within one's countries companies doesn't.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

The Ukrainian authorities in UK may be more pragmatic than those in Italy.  We’ll see.  Or they may refuse to endorse an event where Russians (even those based in UK for many years) are contributing.  

This situation reminds me of the fundraising gala ‘Ballet Without Borders’ that Svetlana Zakharova and guests performed in Kyiv in 2014 to raise funds for the dilapidated ballet academy there.  The academy refused the funds, due to her connections with Putin.  

https://www.gramilano.com/2015/01/zakharovas-charity-gala-money-refused-kiev-school/amp/

4 minutes ago, FionaE said:

This situation reminds me of the fundraising gala ‘Ballet Without Borders’ that Svetlana Zakharova and guests performed in Kyiv in 2014 to raise funds for the dilapidated ballet academy there.  The academy refused the funds, due to her connections with Putin.  

https://www.gramilano.com/2015/01/zakharovas-charity-gala-money-refused-kiev-school/amp/

This seems quite different to me: the linked piece says that the gala took place at the Bolshoi (not Kyiv) and Zakharova by then had very clearly allied herself with Putin and his plans for Ukraine, unlike the RB dancers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

This seems quite different to me: the linked piece says that the gala took place at the Bolshoi (not Kyiv) and Zakharova by then had very clearly allied herself with Putin and his plans for Ukraine, unlike the RB dancers.

I am only highlighting the understandable rejection by Ukrainian authorities of anything Russian …. even if it is to raise funds for Ukrainian benefit. 

Edited by FionaE
Correction

It’s still speculation and is stirring the pot unnecessarily. To say nothing of how the dancers in question might feel were they to read this thread (especially having stated their support of Ukraine at a risk to themselves and their families). I think enough has been said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1