Royal Ballet’s fundraiser for Ukraine- Nuñez, Cuthbertson, Lamb, Osipova, Muntagirov in unique combined Swan Lake, 5 May

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

blimey - tickets going faster than a fresh batch of Welsh cakes off the flat iron!

I wish they'd given a bit more notice as to when booking would open for this. I've only been out for an hour & a half & have got back to home to find this has been not only announced but is entirely sold out apart from the amphitheatre! Guess I won't be seeing it then.

ETA Looking at the amphitheatre prices - £135! - I probably wouldn't have been able to afford anything in the side stalls circle even if there were any tickets still available. The £100 I paid for front row stalls at the Coliseum this past Saturday is looking increasingly reasonable by comparison with other events!

Edit 2: A single row C stalls circle bench seat has just popped up so I've grabbed it. £92 is awfully expensive for that restricted a view but I can't resist the temptation to see such a unique performance. It's my birthday 4 days later so I'll consider it an early birthday present to myself!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I wish they'd given a bit more notice as to when booking would open for this. I've only been out for an hour & a half & have got back to home to find this has been not only announced but is entirely sold out apart from the amphitheatre! Guess I won't be seeing it then.

If you 'refresh' the browser there are more tickets there - though I don't know you're budget, so don't know if that any help

• Like 1

Blimey that was a challenge … buying a ticket while in Uzbekistan as a tourist … limited roaming data and iffy wifi in hotel.  Plus credit card company wanted text verification and texted my uk sim.  I’m on a local one!  Got there in the end. Those tickets have gone fast!

• Like 3

So glad I saw this news, I have just received a Gift Certificate for £42 from a re-sell, and quickly booked an amphi ticket for £63 so got it for £21!

DaveM, I love M and S Welsh cakes 🙂

Edited by Beryl H
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

(For those keen on opera, the Royal Opera are presenting a fundraiser recital- see the ROH website.) 

It's interesting to see that the concert is selling a lot more slowly than Swan Lake, despite tickets being half the price.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

It says all sold out for me.

It said all sold out for me too when I selected the new booking system (also all sold out for the opera as well). However, when I went back in and selected the old system it sort of worked (this is a couple of hours ago). There were tickets available; just the numbers bore no resemblance to what was on offer. I thought they were quite reasonably priced until I realised I was just going to buy a ticket to the opera concert! As the Ukranian appeal is advertised prominently at the start of Whats On it seems ridiculous you have to wade through pages of events to actually book seats. Not sure about the idea of multiple Odette/Odiles, especially as there seem to be more of them than they are acts they appear in. Perhaps they thought it was a way of making the performance 'different' and I assume many wanted to perform in it. The idea of a couple of Bennos sounds interesting (though I'd really prefer them both to be James Hay!)

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

It's interesting to see that the concert is selling a lot more slowly than Swan Lake, despite tickets being half the price.

4:30 on a Friday afternoon isn't helping......

Just now, jmhopton said:

It said all sold out for me too when I selected the new booking system (also all sold out for the opera as well). However, when I went back in and selected the old system it sort of worked (this is a couple of hours ago). There were tickets available; just the numbers bore no resemblance to what was on offer. I thought they were quite reasonably priced until I realised I was just going to buy a ticket to the opera concert! As the Ukranian appeal is advertised prominently at the start of Whats On it seems ridiculous you have to wade through pages of events to actually book seats. Not sure about the idea of multiple Odette/Odiles, especially as there seem to be more of them than they are acts they appear in. Perhaps they thought it was a way of making the performance 'different' and I assume many wanted to perform in it. The idea of a couple of Bennos sounds interesting (though I'd really prefer them both to be James Hay!)

I am still bemused, baffled and intrigued by the idea of 4 different Odettes and/or Odiles , considering that in the ballet Odile is already impersonating Odette.

If James Hay was announced as Benno, I would have bought my ticket already, regardless of how many Odette/Odiles we have and which part of the house I have to sit in. 😂 Anyway, it looks sold out now. I think I might just buy a ticket for a regular Swan Lake and make a separate donation! 

• Like 1

Ah, I hadn't clocked the non-standard time for the concert. Although it's a Bank Holiday so most people wouldn't be at work. I wonder why they're not doing it in the evening? It doesn't look like there's anything else on that date. Unless there are Bank Holiday public transport issues?

Edited by Dawnstar

17 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I’ve only just realised it’s on Good Friday. I think a lot of people might have made plans for the Easter weekend already. That’s unfortunate if it’s the only date and time that the House is available and the performers can do it. I’m sure they’ll get people booking but gradually. 

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Ah, I hadn't clocked the non-standard time for the concert. Although it's a Bank Holiday so most people wouldn't be at work. I wonder why they're not doing it in the evening? It doesn't look like there's anything else on that date. Unless there are Bank Holiday public transport issues?

Well anyone from the North West side of the country would be unlikely to book because there are no trains running to and from London that weekend as Euston is closed for engineering work.  They are not even doing what they have done in the past, which is dumping people at Northampton!

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes.  I'd already left for this afternoon's matinee by the time the email arrived - and at least a couple of my devices have taken a dislike to Wordfly, which the ROH use for their mailshots, so I couldn't use the links until I got back to the office, by which time all the tickets had gone :( 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mary said:

If anyone can do it, he can.

Absolutely - I read somewhere that Vadim has danced in 14 different productions of Swan Lake, so I'm sure he can deal with 4 different Odette/Odiles!  Even so it'll be a unique experience for him.  I wonder who came up with this idea? 

I'm a bit upset that so little notice was given although It's fantastic that it sold out so quickly. I do hope they release more tickets  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

4:30 on a Friday afternoon isn't helping......

I'd personally much prefer 4.30 on any afternoon for Swan Lake as I'd be able to get home without an overnight stay. Especially as I'll already have had an overnight stay on Monday for the Ashton triple.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nina99 said:

Absolutely - I read somewhere that Vadim has danced in 14 different productions of Swan Lake, so I'm sure he can deal with 4 different Odette/Odiles!  Even so it'll be a unique experience for him.  I wonder who came up with this idea? 

I'm a bit upset that so little notice was given although It's fantastic that it sold out so quickly. I do hope they release more tickets  

I am sure that Muntagirov would be very keen to do this performance given his views about the issue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

Yes.  I'd already left for this afternoon's matinee by the time the email arrived - and at least a couple of my devices have taken a dislike to Wordfly, which the ROH use for their mailshots, so I couldn't use the links until I got back to the office, by which time all the tickets had gone :( 

I’m sad and astonished that the ROH didn’t have advance publicity screens at the Opera House itself so that people could book tickets while at the theatre. 🙁

• Like 1

I agree that there should have been some notice of intent over this performance of Swan Lake and due consideration given to enabling people at yesterday’s matinee to book in person.

But I guess - and it  is only a guess - that the ROH felt under pressure not only to ‘do something’ but also not to appear to be dragging its feet (especially with Ivan’s and Alina’s amazing Gala having led the way). After all, sadly, the war has been going on for a month now.

I was told that at least part of the ROH’s telephone system crashed under the strain late afternoon!

I like it very much that many nationalities are represented through the leading cast members.

• Like 7

I'm not sure why the ROH couldn't have announced the performance yesterday with booking opening today, or some such. The announcement would in itself have taken off any pressure about being seen to 'do something'. 

• Like 7

Guest oncnp
53 minutes ago, capybara said:

I like it very much that many nationalities are represented through the leading cast members.

and the conductor, Gavriel Heine. No mention of him, other than the Ukraine SW announcement  on the ROH website and a quick Google search only shows he's an American, ex-Mariinsky (date uncertain) and appears to be primarily an opera conductor. Interesting choice. 

Oh has conductor Gavriele Heine left Russia? 

If you look on his Instagram he has conducted regularly for ballet there.  He says American born, Russian trained. I find his posts entertaining.  

His last post was 20/2 … Don Q with Kimin Kim and Renata Shakirova.  
Before that 11/2 … Jewels, including with Vladimir Shklyarov and Maria Khoreva in Diamonds.

I think we are in good hands 🤞

A TV clip In Russian but with plenty of dancing … about Smekalov’s Paquita with Heine, Kim, Khoreva

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZFF97ktqmL

Heine's now down as conducting all the May SL performances. I'm pretty sure that up until recently it was Pavel Sorokin listed, though the website doesn't have it noted as a change. Given Sorokin is Russian & linked to the Bolshoi, presumably this is a "political" conductor change (as opposed to illness/availability/etc.).

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Heine's now down as conducting all the May SL performances. I'm pretty sure that up until recently it was Pavel Sorokin listed, though the website doesn't have it noted as a change. Given Sorokin is Russian & linked to the Bolshoi, presumably this is a "political" conductor change (as opposed to illness/availability/etc.).

I'd seen it reported elsewhere that Sorokin wouldn't be conducting, and had been waiting for the update.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Probably means nothing more than the website is having a bad day (it is) but Siegfried is no longer listed. 

Muntagirov never was listed on the website, just in the notification letter. The website hasn’t changed since the announcement.

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, capybara said:

Muntagirov never was listed on the website, just in the notification letter. The website hasn’t changed since the announcement.

Actually he was yesterday which is why I noticed the absence 

Edited by oncnp