Alina Cojocaru & Ivan Putrov’s Dance for Ukraine Gala, London Coliseum, 19 March 2022

Regarding Italian fouettés .. the best I’ve seen are Sylvie Guillem.  If you google Sylvie Guillem Paquita 1984 there is a short video.  The Italian fouettés start at 0.42 in.  There is another video of good Italian fouettés … google Alina Cojocaru Dulcinea … at 1.28 in.

They should consist of two different moves in each turn, both of which should be held rather than continuous .. firstly the high developpé a la seconde .  This is often fudged in order to get the leg high but not show the hold in the correct position.   There are innumerable other technique errors that can happen … loss of turn out of raised leg, hips at odd angles, head turns away too soon, arms anywhere.  The second move is the fouetté turn to attitude derrière which should be a sharp turn.  Often the balance goes off here, or the attitude knee loses optimal shape, or the body doesn’t get fully around.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed watching the streamed gala this afternoon - wonderfully well done and so much to enjoy! I was sorry not to be able to make it in person, but after all the great reviews it was lovely to be able to see what I missed 🙂 And of course even better that the streaming is raising more money. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Really enjoyed watching the streamed gala this afternoon - wonderfully well done and so much to enjoy! I was sorry not to be able to make it in person, but after all the great reviews it was lovely to be able to see what I missed 🙂 And of course even better that the streaming is raising more money. 

Yes, I've enjoyed it too and like DanL says, great it's continuing to raise money for a wonderful cause.

Don't suppose there's any hope that the RB Ukrainian Swan Lake could be streamed? Still no news about the Prince.

I loved the streamed version, especially the more moving pieces which chimed so wonderfully with this tragic moment in time: the Ukraniain National Anthem; Kaniukova/Arietta in the Pas de Deux from No Man's Land; Lacrimosa danced by Luca Acri; Pie Jesu from Marianna Tsembenhoi; and the whole cast standing to the glorious music from Raymonda (which I found incredibly touching).

It is scarcely believable that Ivan and Alina put on such a quality evening in the blink of an eye. Thank you and congratulations to both of them.

Please, everyone, consider buying the streaming if you possibly can. It's very special.

• Like 6

I am rather late in posting about this but, now that the streamed version is now available, I thought better late than never! It was a privilege to attend this beautifully programmed and presented evening on 19 March, and how wonderful it was to see the Ukrainian flag draped above the entrance to the London Coliseum. It was also heartening to see the English National Opera orchestra and members of the English National Ballet Philharmonic joining forces in the pit for the evening under the baton of Alex Ingram, who has conducted for both companies. From the powerful rendition of Ukraine’s national anthem (“Ukraine has not yet perished, neither her glory nor her freedom”) sung by mezzo Ksenia Nikolaieva, with members of the ENO chorus joining her for the reprise, to the cast standing shoulder to shoulder while the apotheosis of Glazunov’s “Raymonda” was played to bring the performance to an end, this was truly an evening to remember, and I am delighted it was filmed so that those who missed out on tickets can watch it and those of us who were there can re-experience this very special event, raising even more funds for DEC.  My favourite moments included the Royal Ballet’s Mayara Magri and ENB’s Francesco Gabriele Frola, both electrifying in the famous pas de deux from “Le Corsaire”, ENB’s Emma Hawes and Junor Souza bringing a cool classicism to the first prelude from Ben Stevenson’s “Three Preludes” (previously a staple of ENB’s repertoire for many years), and the Royal Ballet’s Marianela Nuñez sparkling like a diamond in Balanchine’s “Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux” elegantly partnered by Reece Clarke.  It was entirely appropriate that the dance section of the evening began and ended with Ukrainians, and these were the two pieces which moved me the most.  ENB’s Kyiv born and trained Katja Khaniukova and Spaniard Aitor Arrieta performed the heartrending final pas de deux from Liam Scarlett’s elegy to the First World War, “No Man’s Land”, accompanied by the exquisite, sensitive playing of ENB’s company pianist, Julia Richter. The complete ballet opens with female workers in a munitions factory bidding farewell to their menfolk as they leave for the front, leading to several emotional pas de deux but, in this final pas de deux, the ghost of one of the soldiers appears to his sweetheart in an anguished but dignified lament to lives and loves lost.  The pas de deux took on an extra poignancy as every movement and gesture seemed to represent Khaniukova’s emotions for her homeland.  Marianna Tsembenhoi, an Aud Jebsen Young Dancer with the Royal Ballet, gave a very touching performance of Kenneth MacMillan’s choreography for the Pie Jesu from Fauré’s Requiem sung by fellow Ukrainian Inna Guseva, draped in the Ukrainian flag.  Guseva has a brighter voice than is usually associated with this solo but it gave it an added plangency which led naturally to the understated but deeply affecting finale of this outstanding evening curated by Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov, who are to be congratulated, not only for taking the initiative but also for accomplishing so much in such a short time.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Irmgard said:

the Royal Ballet’s Marianela Nuñez sparkling like a diamond in Balanchine’s “Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux” elegantly partnered by Reece Clarke. 

Seeing this again, it occurred to me that Marianela Nuñez seems born to dance Balanchine

Watched it without buffering problems yesterday. So grateful Ivan Putrov decided to offer this gala as a stream and the opportunity to raise funds for a worthy cause. A beautiful gala with a  lot of variety, deeply moving moments and some spectacular highlights. Of, course I have seen Marianela dance live in the past but here, once again, I was awestruck by her superb performance: supreme artistry paired with so much joy, finesse and apparent ease - fantastic. And lots of other wonderful moments, too. If pressed for most memorable ones, I‘d say Frola & Magri‘s fireworks display, Fumi Kaneko‘s incredibly beautiful port de bras and her attentive prince, Natalia Osipova including the very poignant ending in the carpet roll… but that is perhaps only because I have read so much about them here. I found all other performances, flawless or not, very enjoyable, too.

• Like 2

I watched this yesterday.  Having been gutted at not been able to attend in person, this was very special to see.  

I can highly recommend … for the close-ups of Alina’s emotional performance alone.   

I’d say it’s worth another donation, even if you were at the live show ..  for the close-up view.  

fabulous and fully emotional performances 

• Like 7

On 16/04/2022 at 16:19, Scheherezade said:

Tbh, is there anything much that she does not seem born to dance?

My thoughts exactly. Whenever she dances anything she looks born to it, Petpia sits so well on her that it could've been created for her.

• Like 2

Finally managed to watch this! 

I did have some issues with buffering and I’m fairly certain it’s not my internet as have no issues with streaming anything else so not sure if marquee tv? Perhaps I can hope it’s because lots of people were also watching at the same time! 

anyway onto the gala - first of all as others have commented what a fantastic programme, a good mix of classical, contemporary, and sadder pieces with the gala showstoppers that get the crowds going. I think it was well balanced as this felt like a celebration of art and the power and happiness it can bring, as well as of course the need for contemplative pieces given the reason for the gala. It was well organised in order and timing. 

The dancing was superb throughout, in every single piece. There didn’t feel like there were any “dud” or filler pieces as each brought its own element. (I would say the one piece I perhaps didn’t quite get was the McGregor one but it was danced excellently and ticked the modern/contemporary box.) 

Having a live orchestra and opera singers also added something special to the evening - the opening was incredibly emotional even on a stream, so I can imagine the effect in the room. 

It feels odd to pick out particular highlights given everything was so spectacular but the Le Corsaire pas de deux (Frola fantastic), Don Quixote excerpt, Osipova showing why she is such a sell out artist, and the Tchaikovsky pas de deux (Nunez superb and Clarke making me ask again why he is not a Principal) were my highlights. 

I hope the stream makes much more revenue; and on an artistic side I really hope to see more gala evenings organised in future (although hopefully for more celebratory reasons). 

Bravo to Cojocaru and Putrov and to all the dancers, singers, and musicians involved. And I’m very glad a stream was provided so more funds could be raised and to allow those who couldn’t make it to see the dancing! 

• Like 9

I had buffering problems on Friday, but it was ok over the weekend. As previous posters have said, it was a wonderful gala. As ever my only issue is with the dim (overly atmospheric) lighting in the contemporary pieces.  To me it just makes them look two dimensional - very flat, as they no longer relate to the space around them. Aitor Arrieta suffered in No Man's Land as you could hardly see his legs dressed in dark brown.

@Pas de Quatre Aitor being in the dark (or whoever is the man) in the No Man’s Land pdd … I’ve always taken this as intentional … as he is dead, and the woman is dancing with his memory.

So the light is intentionally on her and her dress fabric is reflective to emphasise this.  I noticed their eyes never connect too.  Clever.  

Edited by FionaE
Grammar
  • Like 1

Possibly, but he has a pale shirt and so appears as a torso with no legs - the face, neck and other areas of skin can equally be seen so it looks odd.

I just looked at it again, there are several  moments when they face each other and are looking into each others eyes.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Add last paragraph

6 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I watched the whole stream over two days on a smart t.v. and then have gone back in since to watch bits of the stream from my tablet and laptop too, so you should be ok.  

Thank you, that's good to know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Possibly, but he has a pale shirt and so appears as a torso with no legs - the face, neck and other areas of skin can equally be seen so it looks odd.

I just looked at it again, there are several  moments when they face each other and are looking into each others eyes.

Ah … Thank you for clarification on the eyes.  My impression was mistaken.  

Another thought on the darkness … this may be an issue with transfer from stage to viewing on TV/device.  I often find recordings to be darker than in real life.   Helpfully there is a toggle to adjust the lightness on the left hand side of the video in Marquee TV.  I’ve not seen one of those before.  

• Like 1

I watched tonight and what an enjoyable few hours it was! Well done to all who produced it and danced in it, such a great mix that seemed to fit in well as a whole.

Stand outs were the Le Corsaire duo, already love Mayara but those jumps from Frola, just WOW! Thought they both did so well with it. 

I thought Fumi and Bracewell did a lovely job with their Swan Lake PDD.

Osipova was wonderfully emotional and the Three Preludes I really enjoyed.

Nela and Reece were a lovely little piece of joy, that PDD just always puts a smile on my face and Nela just seemed to embody the joy of dance with her wide smile, although if I could dance like her I'd be enjoying myself and smiling like that too! 

I hope this helps them earn more towards their fund, they've put on such a wonderful show, they've more than earned every penny they raise. Well done to all!

• Like 3

I must just say - especially having viewed it live from the far reaches of the Balcony - how great it is to have the close-up view of the dancers' performances.  The eye-work, the expressions and the emotions all add to the appreciation of the performances.

• Like 4

I'm trying to watch this but when the picture quality is set to HD it starts buffering & when the picture quality is on auto it is so poor at times that the dancers' expressions are rather less visible when I saw it live! Given Marquee TV is a well-known platform, I'm suprised it can't deliver enough bandwidth for a decent picture. As this evening is the only time I've really got to watch it, unless it improves it looks like I won't be able to see it.

ETA I've just noticed that in the blurb it says "This performance will be available from April 14th through May 2nd." If that's correct then maybe I'll be able to have another go at watching it some time next week. Does anyone have any experience of Marquee TV & know if there are times of the days or days of the week when it's better/worse to use it? I suppose Friday evening is likely to be a busy time.

Edited by Dawnstar

I've tried again but I'm still getting a picture that's clearly not staying in HD when on the auto setting & it's not even letting me try putting it onto the HD setting. I've checked my broadband speed and it's showing as 40mbps, 10 times the 4mbps that Marquee TV's website says is the recommended minimum, so I don't think my problem is at my end.

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

ETA I've just noticed that in the blurb it says "This performance will be available from April 14th through May 2nd." If that's correct then maybe I'll be able to have another go at watching it some time next week.

Mine was still saying 24th when I launched it, but now I've refreshed it's indeed saying May 2nd.  Even better :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alison said:

Mine was still saying 24th when I launched it, but now I've refreshed it's indeed saying May 2nd.  Even better :)

I'm very pleased at this news, I haven't had the time to watch it as much as I wanted, I do like the male Dying Swan!

@Peanut68 When I finally just about managed to watch it 2 nights ago I took screencaps so in the future I'll have a reminder of what the performances looked like. A DVD would be far better though. However I'm not getting my hopes up as I'm not sure the filming would all be considered "DVD quality" e.g. the audiences' heads in the way at the start & end.

I have just tried to watch the gala again on my TV  using the app but it will not load on the app nevermind the TV. Useless. We have fibre broadband as well!  I had to watch on my pc last time I'm not doing it again. So so poor from Marquee. 

Edited by Don Q Fan