Alina Cojocaru & Ivan Putrov’s Dance for Ukraine Gala, London Coliseum, 19 March 2022

It’s here! 🇺🇦 Decided to post this while waiting for the performance. Feeling both excited (about the largely unknown programme) and emotional (about the reason for the gala) but grateful we can do something positive and productive to help.

Looking forward to seeing the dancers from English National Ballet, Royal Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Company Wayne McGregor, and Northern Ballet, and having great music from the ENO Orchestra, and pianists Sasha Grynyuk and Julia Richter.  So far, we’ve been told that Don Quixote pas de deux and Tchaikovsky pas de deux may be in the programme, although with galas/live performance, it can be subject to changes of course.

It promises to be a powerful evening for such an important cause (and one of the earliest and speediest fundraising benefits for Ukraine of this kind to be organised in Britain). With thanks to annamicro for alerting forum members, Alina and Ivan for organising it, and all the artists for their artistry and contributions. Awaiting members’ thoughts and reactions after (and maybe before) the show. ❤️

• Like 12

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very envious! I'd be interested to hear if the cameras are in - in particular whether  Suzy Klein is picking it up for her new live performance initiative with the BBC or whether there might be a DVD/Blu Ray issue? 

• Like 4

So much talent on stage tonight. So many emotions.

My omg moment of pure joy was getting to see Marianela Núñez and Reece Clarke dance the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux together. They looked like movie stars. Too gorgeous to be true.  Not to mention matching megawatt smiles. 

I am admittedly a big Balanchine fan. MacMillan reportedly said “don’t be afraid to be ugly.” I think Balanchine says “don’t be afraid to be beautiful” 🥰

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Rob S said:

There were a number of video cameras at the back of the stalls so maybe it could be streamed 

I hope so! Looks like it was a fantastic evening and hope lots of money raised for a worthy cause. 

• Like 2

A simply amazing evening - no-one danced twice - to see all those stars lined up together on stage at the end! 

It will be one of those galas, which linger long in the memory, like the famous Ashton Retirement Gala in 1970.  An artistic triumph for Ivan Putrov, beyond pure logistics, fundraising and compassion.

My stand out moments were

Luca Acri - heartbreaking in the Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem with a full chorus

Alina Cojocaru and Mathieu Ganio - so understated, yet so passionate - sophisticated and elegant - in The Lady of the Camellias

Mayara Magri and Gabriele Frola in a breathtakingly virtuoso Corsaire pas de deux

Several Royal Ballet ballerinas fighting back the tears at the end

I will tell my grandchildren I was there.

• Like 21

46 minutes ago, Candleque said:

So much talent on stage tonight. So many emotions.

My omg moment of pure joy was getting to see Marianela Núñez and Reece Clarke dance the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux together. They looked like movie stars. Too gorgeous to be true.  Not to mention matching megawatt smiles. 

I am admittedly a big Balanchine fan. MacMillan reportedly said “don’t be afraid to be ugly.” I think Balanchine says “don’t be afraid to be beautiful” 🥰

Wow! Sounds amazing. I loove Marianela & Reece Clark. I really do hope it gets streamed.

• Like 7

Well that was a wonderful evening.  I thought the talent was amazing. 

I absolutely loved the Corsaire pas de deux.  Mayara and Gabriele really worked well as a couple.  They seemed to play off each other really well.  I don't know if they've danced together before but they had really good chemistry.  

Marianela and Reece were great.  I've not seen him before (because I usually book for Nela and Vadim) but he's great.  I love tall male dancers with long legs and he's really good looking and moves beautifully in the jumps.  

I loved Mizu and Mathias as well.  I can see why she's been promoted, her technique is perfect. I hope I see them when I see Don Q. He seems to partner really well, always working well with whichever ballerina he's partnering.  

I was less keen on the contemporary stuff as a whole (Wayne McGregor is not my favourite choreographer)  but I liked Luca Acri (although I think he'd have had more dignity if he'd been wearing tights and a top rather than just his underwear.  

For me the most moving piece was Marianna Tsembenhoi at the end.  She was so beautifully classic.  Seeing a young Ukrainian dancing to music beautifully sung by a Ukrainian soprano was incredibly moving and seemed to memorialise the countless dead in this invasion.  She's young yet but I think she's going to go far in her career as she has huge potential and lovely port de bras.  

• Like 18

Don't have much else to add. In addition to all the aforementioned highlights I also really enjoyed "Three Preludes" with the very fine Emma Hawes and Junor Souza, and I thought Fumi and William were so so so lovely in the Swan Lake PDD. They have such a beautiful chemistry, and I think the tempo was faster than what you usually hear at ROH – and all the better for that.

• Like 14

51948688966_1e75339526_b.jpg

51949297195_3e1a9764cc_b.jpg

51948688961_57d56b4fe5_b.jpg

51948688936_08de6beb16_b.jpg

51947708227_02875fbfd8_b.jpg

51949297205_04b5694e14_b.jpg

51948764168_85030de319_b.jpg

I’m afraid I limited my photos to the RB dancers and Alina as I wasn’t entirely sure photography was allowed judging by the usher activity in the stalls!! 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 21

It was a wonderful gala tonight, with everyone, without exception, at the top of their game. But Francesco Gabriele Frola - Wow!!!

Marianela was just delicious in the Tchaikovsky pas de deux - every time I think she can't get better, the next time I see her she proves me wrong - and beautifully partnered by Reece Clarke, too. My goodness, though, doesn't she look tiny next to Reece.

A bravura Don Q from Mizutani and Dingman has whetted my appetite for BRB's Sadler's Wells run. Miki Mizutani  made a pert and delightful Kitri and Mathias Dingman's Basilio was a riot of swagger and dash.

Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell gave us a beautifully paced Swan Lake pas de deux with the finesse and sensitivity that we have come to expect from both of them. I did think, though, what a pity it was that they followed so close on the heels of Magri and Frola's coruscating Corsaire. What a sparkling Medora from Mayara Magri, who seemed to enjoy every minute of what looked like a role she was made to dance. And Frola, who elicited gasps of amazement from my part of the audience, did things that I have never seen anyone do. Just wow!!

I loved the quietly understated Three Preludes, with Emma Hawes and Junor Souza reprising the elegiac composure of their performance from the ENB Solstice programme in June of last year.

It is hard to leave anyone out as there was barely a dud moment but from the more contemporary repertoire, Luca Acri impressed in Lacrimosa and Osipova, as always, gave her all in a solo piece danced to a recording by Nigel Kennedy and the Kroke Band (what a pity they couldn't have been here in person, too). And did I mention the amazing Francesco Gabriele Frola? Wow, wow and thrice wow!

On a more serious note, and coming back to the music, I have never heard such a moving rendition of any national anthem as that sung tonight by the wonderful Ukranian mezzo, Ksenia Nikolaieva and the ENO chorus, and it seemed so fitting that the soprano Inna Guseva and the RB's Marianna Tsembenhoi, both Ukranian, should effectively bring the evening to a close with a moving performance from MacMillan's Requiem.

I was so glad to have been there tonight for this moving, wonderful evening of music and dance and yet emotionally, as I held my programme and fastened my ribbon in the colours of Ukraine, it felt almost wrong to admit to that when there is so much unimaginable suffering in the heroic country for which tonight's very special gala was held. May our collective prayers for peace please be heard, and soon.

• Like 28

6 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

And Frola, who elicited gasps of amazement from my part of the audience, did things that I have never seen anyone do.

Does anyone know the name of that extraordinary jump he opened his variation with? It was quite something! I may have seen it done before, but never to that effect.

• Like 2

That was absolutely how it hit me, Lizbie - and, I should add, right between the eyes. I felt that I must have seen it before but if I have, never, ever to such jaw-dropping effect.

To the epithet of stylish classicist, Mr Frola can now most definitely add ‘virtuoso extraordinaire’. 

• Like 3

What a superb, sublime and emotional evening. The dancers were all wonderful and with no staging to detract or distract the eye it was lovely to enjoy the purity of their performances. 
Francesco Gabriele Frola- where to begin? Very rarely does a dancer cause an entire audience to gasp audibly at the sheer virtuosity and seemingly impossible athleticism achieved. He was breathtaking to watch and partnered with the exquisite Mayara Magri they brought dynamics, passion, excitement and a brilliant chemistry that was undeniable from the moment they took to the stage.

I had hoped to see more of Alina but her performance bore all of the hallmarks that I love about her. She is so utterly genuine and generous with her every movement and always dances wholeheartedly and with complete abandon that draws you in. Just beautiful. 
Too many outstanding moments to recount as I’m still taking it all in but bravo to all of the dancers involved and of course to Alina and Ivan for their extraordinary efforts. Wonderful to see dancers and people from all over the world united in their support of Ukraine. A very special evening. 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell gave us a beautifully paced Swan Lake pas de deux with the finesse and sensitivity that we have come to expect from both of them. I did think, though, what a pity it was that they followed so close on the heels of Magri and Frola's coruscating Corsaire. What a sparkling Medora from Mayara Magri, who seemed to enjoy every minute of what looked like a role she was made to dance. And Frola, who elicited gasps of amazement from my part of the audience, did things that I have never seen anyone do. Just wow!!

I think it would have been better to run the Swan Lake section before Le Corsaire.  It was amazing on a technical level and like a perfect jewel of good technique and musicality.  I saw Fumi being coached 2 years ago as Odette and it's lovely how confident and shining she is now.  They were a lovely partnership too.  I think it kind of got a bit overshadowed because the previous item had so many jaw-droppingly big jumps.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Does anyone know the name of that extraordinary jump he opened his variation with? It was quite something! I may have seen it done before, but never to that effect.

I know it's v difficult (!) but could you describe the jump?

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

What I came away with after last night's INSPIRED GALA is that Ivan Putrov should be responsible for assembling ALL London galas.  Yet again this was magnificently produced.  He even curtailed the speeches in recognition that the dance should speak for itself.  Boy did it!!!

As to Frola - he was as amazing as he always is.  He did here - as he built up to during ENB's Solstice programme - the Baryishnikov variations of the Corsaire PDD such as were performed at the mid/end of the 'dance boom' in New York.  I was so lucky to have seen those then - and never thought I would see their like again.  Still, Frola is a star of that magnitude - much as resplendent Damian Woetzel was - who also did the same.  Certainly Frola has continually shown he had the capacity and, yes, modesty it ultimately takes.  His SOLITARTY performance of Neumeier's Nijinsky in Paris remains one of the highlights of my dance-going life OF ALL TIME.  I will always cherish the last night of ENB's Solstice programme (and I saw six of them) because he finally put all the bits he'd been working towards together in the Corsaire turns - including that long pause before the run across the stage into the solo variation and the arabesque in the lift.  The elation at his success that evening was writ large across his face.  Last night was simply a continuation of his destiny on the lucky behalf of us all.  May he continue to be cherished by an ever burgeoning many whilst we are fortunate to have him here - for however long that period may be.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

I think it would have been better to run the Swan Lake section before Le Corsaire.  It was amazing on a technical level and like a perfect jewel of good technique and musicality.  I saw Fumi being coached 2 years ago as Odette and it's lovely how confident and shining she is now.  They were a lovely partnership too.  I think it kind of got a bit overshadowed because the previous item had so many jaw-droppingly big jumps.  

My thoughts exactly, Tango Dancer. Not enough time for people to come down from those jaw-dropping jumps. I'm still picking mine up from the floor.

In normal circumstances, Magri and Frola's spectacular Corsaire would have been the perfect pre-interval piece (it needed that long to re-wire) but in the saddened circumstances of the war in Ukraine, I can well see why something contemplative was selected. I do hope that the beauty of Fumi and William's Swan Lake Act 2 extract was not lost as a result. I don't think it was. It certainly wasn't lost on me, notwithstanding the unforgettable fireworks that preceded it.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

What I came away with after last night's INSPIRED GALA is that Ivan Putrov should be responsible for assembling ALL London galas.  Yet again this was magnificently produced.  He even curtailed the speeches in recognition that the dance should speak for itself.  Boy did it!!!

As to Frola - he was as amazing as he always is.  He did here - as he built up to during ENB's Solstice programme - the Baryishnikov variations of the Corsaire PDD such as were performed at the mid/end of the 'dance boom' in New York.  I was so lucky to have seen those then - and never thought I would see their like again.  Still, Frola is a star of that magnitude - much at resplendent Damian Woetzel was - who also did the same.  Certainly Frola has continually shown he had the capacity and, yes, modesty it ultimately takes.  His SOLITARTY performance of Neumeier's Nijinsky in Paris remains one of the highlights of my dance-going life OF ALL TIME.  I will always cherish the last night of ENB's Solstice programme (and I saw six of them) because he finally put all the bits he'd been working towards together in the Corsaire turns - including that long pause before the run across the stage into the solo variation and the arabesque in the lift.  The elation at his success that evening was writ large across his face.  Last night was simply a continuation of his destiny on the lucky behalf of us all.  May he continue to be cherished by an ever burgeoning many whilst we are fortunate to have him here - however long that period may be.  

Oh yes, Bruce. Yes to Putrov's amazing achievement and the joy for us all were he to assemble all future London galas, to the tone and tenor of last night's entire gala and to Frola's thrilling and continuing artistic growth. He really does seem to have it all - that rare double of finesse and fireworks in equal measure. I do so hope that he stays here in London and if he is ever minded to move on from ENB (and I am not advocating that he should), wouldn't that short hop down Longacre to the ROH find the perfect home for him.

And lucky you, indeed, during your New York dance boom years! I caught Baryshnikov once in London and sadly that was all.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, li tai po said:

You can see Gabriele Frola undertaking the same jumps in this short clip of Diana and Actaeon from a previous Ivan Putrov gala.  The jumps occur about 1 minute in.

yep that’s the one! 

41 minutes ago, li tai po said:

You can see Gabriele Frola undertaking the same jumps in this short clip of Diana and Actaeon from a previous Ivan Putrov gala.  The jumps occur about 1 minute in.

The jump at 1 min seems a 540 revoltade. It's quite popular among voirtuoso dancers. Not that I consider Frola a "virtuoso"...he is much more 🙂: a dancer noble, an actor and, clearly can do also virtuosity.

• Like 2

One of the most moving moments for me was Osipova's performance - that piece seemed exactly right for the occasion and when she'd finished there seemed to be almost a slight hush/"ah" moment and then response from the audience of such loving applause (which is the only way I can think to describe it).

Of course if applause was measured in decibels Nunez performance would win hands down.   But last night, every performance, dancers, singers, musicians and all the background staff were winners.

Up in the balcony, we had a the most enthusiastic of supporters, a man showing his appreciation by shouting really loudly - if you were there you'd have heard him.   At first I thought "Really?" and then I had to smile - all kinds of people come to worship greatness and last night we had a fair amount of that.

• Like 7

Very warmly reviewed in the Telegraph by Marianka Swain. Proceeds total at least £140,000. Showstoppers included Osipova in Ashes and two "thrillingly virtuosic pairs" - Magri/Frola and Nunez/Clarke.  

I don't think anyone has so far mentioned the amusing moment at the start of the second half when conductor Alex Ingram came into the pit, bowed to the audience, turned to his rostrum.... & then said "Talk among yourselves. I've forgetten my music." before dashing off to get it!

The highlight for me was definitely Magri & Frola. Wonderful to get to see one of my favourite RB dancers & one of my favourite ENB dancers together. I also really liked Hawes & Souza's elegant & clever pas de deux - or should that be pas de trois with the barre as the third participant. Kaneko & Bracewell were lovely together & it's a great pity that there's no opportunity for the general public to see them in a full performance together. Mizutani & Dingman's Don Q pdd may have settled my decision on which cast to try to see when BRB come to Sadler's Wells in July (he was already on my shortlist but I'd not seen her dance before). Are those the costumes BRB uses for Act III? I was expecting white like the RB's. Is the Scarlett "No Man's Land" pdd from a longer piece? It kind of felt like it should be. It was very interesting seeing Cojocaru doing Neumeier's La Dame aux Camellias after seeing her do Ashton's equivalent 2 years ago. Nunez & Clarke were unsurprisingly impeccable. Somewhere on the Coliseum stage there is now a jewelled hairpin, as I saw one of Nunez's fly off in one of her fast turning sequences! Reading Clarke's biography afterwards, it does seem a bit ridiculous that he's not already a Prinicpal when you look at the list of roles he's danced. I don't think I've ever seen La Sylphide before (is it out of fashion nowadays?) & I hope ENB do another revival some time soonish as I enjoyed McWhinney &  Carratalá Coloma's pdd. I'm also surprised to see he's still only an Artist. There were only 3 pieces that I didn't like choreographically & at least they all had nice music (apart from the couple of minutes of what sounded like wind whistling at the start of the Dying Swan) so my ears had something to enjoy even if my eyes didn't!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1