Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely amazing performance of Swan Lake by Marianela Núñez and Vadim Muntagirov and the Royal Ballet last night, proper star wattage, plus top playing by Royal Opera House orchestra, Tchaikovsky's score sounded glorious!

The Royal Ballet has such depth of talent and it was on display last night

Loved Act III's costumes and sets so sumptuous and very sparkly, which doesn't come across as much on the Blu-ray recording

So glad to finally see the new production live after it got cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic, was a truly special evening

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 15

Nuñez and Muntagirov absolutely sensational last night! The highest standards throughout and Nuñez portraying both Odette and Odile wonderfully. The act 3 fireworks were incredible of course, but my personal highlight was the act 2 pas de deux. Not sure I've ever seen such perfect dancing from Nuñez - so confident with the steps that she adds musicality and extra layers on top to tell the story so completely with the choreography. And timing so perfect it literally felt like the music was emanating from her rather than the orchestra. A wonderful experience and fascinating as ever to see two such different portrayals on successive evenings - both fantastically enjoyable! And of course many wonderful performances from the supporting cast as well 🙂 

• Like 18

I feel to even put lasts nights performance into words cannot do it any justice. I feel honoured to have seen them both give that performance, it was a complete gift.

There are certain moments in my life when I've had chills and tears  because I realised I was seeing something truly special and the peak of an art. It's rare, I remember once seeing Federer at Wimbledon, when you just know.

This was one of those times. 

I think Nela's slightly tweaked her black swan, she seemed to be giving it even more, completely in control of the situation and the prince. 

Vadim was flying, literally the person behind me gasped that during the coda, such light landings and holding the arabesques afterwards just to show off what total control he has of his landings. Effortless.

Nela was in a form of her own. Complete control over all her movements, holding everything that bit longer, we had an applause during her balance in act 3, she was still holding it, no wobbles. 

Act 2 PDD was so slow and controlled, simply perfect, it was a thing of beauty, I wish I could've bottled it in some way or made my brain video it. I felt like right then I was seeing something special.

They both made it all look so easy, as if this is just expected, simple. No force anywhere, just ease.

Of course the whole show was amazing, the corps were wonderful and there were some great performances, Isabella Gasparini was lovely and charming and Gina was excellent in the Spanish dance (such a lyrical back she has). But it was really difficult to see past those two because they eclipsed everything else.

Everything I've just said is worthless, because it cannot do justice. It was a rare moment of perfect beauty and artistry combined and given by two artists in complete control of their powers. 

• Like 22

15 hours ago, alison said:

I *was* here, I thought, to see James Hay (among others), but apparently it's not to be :(

Oh well, as the late Meat Loaf said, I guess Two Out of Three Ain't Bad ...

I actually almost bought tickets  for last night’s show to try to catch Hay’s Benno, having already seen Campbell, Sambé and Ella’s excellent interpretations over a few different runs. We would have liked Acri too, but I think (if previous matches with other Siegfrieds are accurate indicators- apart from 10 March!) we may have Acri as Benno on an upcoming performance we’ve booked anyway. Luckily I didn’t get tickets in the end, as we had horrendous traffic locally due to a closed road last night and we’d never have made it to Covent Garden in time! 

I was thinking the amount of dancing/solos that Benno gets in this production - essentially, the Act 1 pas de trois in most versions and Act 3 pas de quatre from some versions have been given to the same male character.  One could say it’s similar to the Gamzatti and Lilac Fairy roles in Bayadere and Sleeping Beauty respectively, where they both dance a lot but are not the main/headline lead, and a principal or experienced soloist is often cast in the role. Would be cool if Benno casting could be announced in advance just like for Gamzatti! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Nina99 wishing you many more happy Swan Lake performances. 

Thank you very much LinMM. I have Swan Lake on DVD and have enjoyed watching it and it's good to be able to see their expressions, but seeing it live made me appreciate it so much more.  I hope it's revived again before too long although I feel it will be very difficult to recreate the magic of last night.

2 hours ago, emmarose said:

I feel to even put lasts nights performance into words cannot do it any justice. I feel honoured to have seen them both give that performance, it was a complete gift.

There are certain moments in my life when I've had chills and tears  because I realised I was seeing something truly special and the peak of an art. It's rare, I remember once seeing Federer at Wimbledon, when you just know.

This was one of those times. 

I think Nela's slightly tweaked her black swan, she seemed to be giving it even more, completely in control of the situation and the prince. 

Vadim was flying, literally the person behind me gasped that during the coda, such light landings and holding the arabesques afterwards just to show off what total control he has of his landings. Effortless.

Nela was in a form of her own. Complete control over all her movements, holding everything that bit longer, we had an applause during her balance in act 3, she was still holding it, no wobbles. 

Act 2 PDD was so slow and controlled, simply perfect, it was a thing of beauty, I wish I could've bottled it in some way or made my brain video it. I felt like right then I was seeing something special.

They both made it all look so easy, as if this is just expected, simple. No force anywhere, just ease.

Of course the whole show was amazing, the corps were wonderful and there were some great performances, Isabella Gasparini was lovely and charming and Gina was excellent in the Spanish dance (such a lyrical back she has). But it was really difficult to see past those two because they eclipsed everything else.

Everything I've just said is worthless, because it cannot do justice. It was a rare moment of perfect beauty and artistry combined and given by two artists in complete control of their powers. 

Wonderful review emmarose, your words are definitely not worthless but an eloquent summing up of a unique and special occasion!  You certainly summed up my feelings perfectly and I really don't feel I can add anything to your post except to add my appreciation of the orchestra who were on fine form.  

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

Thank you very much LinMM. I have Swan Lake on DVD and have enjoyed watching it and it's good to be able to see their expressions, but seeing it live made me appreciate it so much more.  I hope it's revived again before too long although I feel it will be very difficult to recreate the magic of last night.

Wonderful review emmarose, your words are definitely not worthless but an eloquent summing up of a unique and special occasion!  You certainly summed up my feelings perfectly and I really don't feel I can add anything to your post except to add my appreciation of the orchestra who were on fine form.  

Thank you Nina, it felt that words alone were not enough to sum up what we saw last night as, like others, I was often left speechless, so it's not something that can even be broken down because it was above such things, above words really.

But I'm so glad you think I have expressed the experience well and done some justice to it.

I completely agree with you too, the orchestra were on excellent form (I was remiss to forget them) and so much so it felt that the music couldn't be separated from the dancers, perhaps that's why I forgot to even mention them. As Dan said so perfectly, it felt as if the music was emanating from Marianela herself. Seamless collaboration between the dancers and conductor to create such magic.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your first Swan Lake and that it was such a sublime performance for you. I'm sure it'll be a memory you'll cherish, I know I will too. That was just something else last night.

• Like 4

Lovely post from Marianela on her Instagram about last nights show.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca9-5emN_2U/

I see she had bad symptoms even after 3 vaccines, so she did exceptionally well to be able to perform last night.  Such a shame that she was only able to do one performance but that made it a special and unique occasion for those of us lucky enough to be there.

• Like 10

I meant to mention this on my earlier post but I also was very impressed by Yuhui Choe and Joseph Sissens in the Neapolitan PDD, been a long time since I felt the dancers got it and they did plus had a good tempo. 

Plus I loved how Marianela Nuñez in the Act III Black Swan PDD was so deliciously evil and even winking at the audience letting them know they are in on the deception, she is a ballerina at the peak of her power. 

Vadim Muntagirov was as always superb, his lines are just gorgeous and he just flies through the air, just a joy to watch him dance everytime

Luca Acri was good as Benno, Prince Siegfried's wingman, not too showy but who is able to run interreference with all the courtly duties and a lighter counterpoint to Prince Siegfried's mournfulness 

• Like 18

I'll try to see if I can add anything to the wonderful reviews so far of last night's performance. 

First, I agree with everything said so far on its exceptional nature. I was just so thankful I had refreshed the ROH website countless times to get a wonderful Return ticket in the Orch Stalls.  I had booked for the last 2 scheduled performances which sadly were without Marianela, but not this one. My luck was finally in.  

I've seen Marianela and Vadim in this version of Swan Lake almost as many times as they have actually performed it, and they are always the best in comparison to anyone else (this is a very high bar). However, last night they hit heights as yet unimagined. 

The atmosphere was emotional from the start with the playing of the Ukranian anthem and then as the familiar overture started, my thoughts were - am I now fated to cry at every single RB performance I attend.  I never used to, but these tears lasted well into Act 2. 

This show was such a thing of beauty that it is indescribable. The audience were very enthusiastic with both Vadim's and Nela's entrances being greeted by cheers. I don't think I have seen this before. The lyricism of their dancing was so beautiful and so nuanced. How is Vadim so elegant in everything he does? The lines of every part of his body are so beautiful and that's before he even starts to dance. 

Vadim was a different Siegfried last night, than even last Saturday. This was such a deeply emotional display in every acting and dancing move. He was matched by Marianela in Act 2, whose Odette was beyond delicate, sad , suffering and immensely beautiful.  The music and the dance combined as never before with the technical excellence of the dancing but also its lyricism, and that was the key to the emotional experience they gave to the audience. 

Yes, I agree that Nela has upped her game as Odile.  The dancing of course was flamboyant and superb but I have never seen her so openly laugh as the deception is unveiled and give such emphasis to the flourishes at the end of each divertissement. The joy! - and the audience reacted accordingly.   I was almost surprised that the dancers on the stage did not join in the applause as I saw them once do at a rehearsal. 

Vadim's Act 3 was phenomenal, all the more so, because it appears effortless. It isn't as we know, and it takes my breath away every time I am privileged to see it. 

The entire cast raised their game as ever.  The RB is so strong!  24 hours later and I am still buzzing. I never want to forget this wonderful 3 hours.  

• Like 23

2 hours ago, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

I meant to mention this on my earlier post but I also was very impressed by Yuhui Choe and Joseph Sissens in the Neapolitan PDD, been a long time since I felt the dancers got it and they did plus had a good tempo. 

Plus I loved how Marianela Nuñez in the Act III Black Swan PDD was so deliciously evil and even winking at the audience letting them know they are in on the deception, she is a ballerina at the peak of her power. 

Vadim Muntagirov was as always superb, his lines are just gorgeous and he just flies through the air, just a joy to watch him dance everytime

Luca Acri was good as Benno, Prince Siegfried's wingman, not too showy but who is able to run interreference with all the courtly duties and a lighter counterpoint to Prince Siegfried's mournfulness 

Yes! They were both very good in the Neapolitan together. I have to admit to a soft spot for both dancers, as I said the other day I love Choe's ease of movement and Sissens is a really great and expressive dancer.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'll try to see if I can add anything to the wonderful reviews so far of last night's performance. 

First, I agree with everything said so far on its exceptional nature. I was just so thankful I had refreshed the ROH website countless times to get a wonderful Return ticket in the Orch Stalls.  I had booked for the last 2 scheduled performances which sadly were without Marianela, but not this one. My luck was finally in.  

I've seen Marianela and Vadim in this version of Swan Lake almost as many times as they have actually performed it, and they are always the best in comparison to anyone else (this is a very high bar). However, last night they hit heights as yet unimagined. 

The atmosphere was emotional from the start with the playing of the Ukranian anthem and then as the familiar overture started, my thoughts were - am I now fated to cry at every single RB performance I attend.  I never used to, but these tears lasted well into Act 2. 

This show was such a thing of beauty that it is indescribable. The audience were very enthusiastic with both Vadim's and Nela's entrances being greeted by cheers. I don't think I have seen this before. The lyricism of their dancing was so beautiful and so nuanced. How is Vadim so elegant in everything he does? The lines of every part of his body are so beautiful and that's before he even starts to dance. 

Vadim was a different Siegfried last night, than even last Saturday. This was such a deeply emotional display in every acting and dancing move. He was matched by Marianela in Act 2, whose Odette was beyond delicate, sad , suffering and immensely beautiful.  The music and the dance combined as never before with the technical excellence of the dancing but also its lyricism, and that was the key to the emotional experience they gave to the audience. 

Yes, I agree that Nela has upped her game as Odile.  The dancing of course was flamboyant and superb but I have never seen her so openly laugh as the deception is unveiled and give such emphasis to the flourishes at the end of each divertissement. The joy! - and the audience reacted accordingly.   I was almost surprised that the dancers on the stage did not join in the applause as I saw them once do at a rehearsal. 

Vadim's Act 3 was phenomenal, all the more so, because it appears effortless. It isn't as we know, and it takes my breath away every time I am privileged to see it. 

The entire cast raised their game as ever.  The RB is so strong!  24 hours later and I am still buzzing. I never want to forget this wonderful 3 hours.  

I so agree with every word you've said. I've seen these two before in this a few times also, but like you said, they raised their own high bar.

Nela as Odile last night seemed noticeably different from the very beginning of the act, I did wonder if perhaps her studying Myrtha in such detail this season maybe brought a bit of that over. The joy of being evil/cruel and the glint in her eye through it. I thought it was amazing to see how changed her eyes even seemed. The looks she was throwing to VR were a lot more conniving than ever and so comfortably assured with it. A hole other side of her in this role came through.

Like you, I'm still on a high tonight from it. I feel as though those two gave us this amazing gift last night and I can't help thinking how lucky I was to see it. It's something I know I'll cherish having seen. How lucky we were. 

• Like 5

Oh, and Jenny, I was lucky as well. I had tickets for opening night (I ended up returning instead what with the tube strike) and I don't know if I had a flash of insight or inspiration, but some great tickets came up in the stalls circle for the 10th and thought I may as well get them.

How lucky we were to not miss out on this.

Edited by emmarose
  • Like 1

OK, so the ROH needs a bigger stage... Joonhyuk Jun made it look postage-stamp size tonight as he flew up and forward and back and round, eating up the space in his sensational début as Benno. But he wasn't just brilliant technically - he was bright and engaging and credible, and also seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself. So for all the other excellence on show tonight, I think his performance will be what I most remember.

I found Mayara Magri's Odette absolutely heartbreaking - she was so sad, so tormented, so fearful. Even Siegfried's love in Act II brought her no reassurance (perhaps she foresaw the coming calamity!). And her dancing was so beautiful and so expressive. As Odile, although her dancing was still excellent I didn't quite feel the malevolence of character that's needed. I suspect the essential sweetness of Odette comes more naturally to her, and I'm sure that in time she will sharpen her Odile. She did very well with the fouettés, though I couldn't help noticing that towards the end her face was positively grim with concentration and determination (and who can blame her?!). She visibly relaxed as the act ended, and her Act IV was sublime. Cesar Corrales also danced very impressively as Siegfried, and I thought his acting was touching and sincere; he also partnered Magri with great care. And the corps/swans were once more absolutely amazing; how do they do it, night after night?! I don't know, but I'm filled with admiration and gratitude.

• Like 21

Just here to say I was there to see Nela/Vadim on Thursday 10th and it was a night I’ll never forget. Pure magic. Nela and Vadim are gifts from god. Also Joonhyuk Jun as Benno 😮😮😮 amazing. 

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Just here to say I was there to see Nela/Vadim on Thursday 10th and it was a night I’ll never forget. Pure magic. Nela and Vadim are gifts from god. Also Joonhyuk Jun as Benno 😮😮😮 amazing. 

Perfectly describes them after what they produced on Thursday. They definitely did not seem of our world.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the performance last night.  Swan Lake with a Latin flavour.  Deeply emotional, occasionally flamboyant, always passionate.

For me, this was the most complete performance I have seen Cesar Corrales give.  We all know he can dance, but I really felt his love, his pain, his guilt, his suffering. He has obviously been working on his partnering because he was so assured, so attentive to this vulnerable creature that I never felt worried for her (something which I have felt watching him in the past).  His sadness made those dark eyes look like slowly melting chocolate.  This made Act 3 so delicious;  the contrast between his joy (physically manifested in huge jumps and fabulous turns) in finding his 'Odette' and then in Act 4 finding his Odette and his devastation that he has condemned her to death made his tragedy all too real.  I just wish he weren't so 'thumpy' when he lands and runs (although I think the landings have improved).

And so to the Swan debutante.  I really enjoyed Mayara's interpretation.  She was so expressive;  I could feel the weight of her despondency from the minute she arrived onstage.  Throughout her two white Acts, her body bore the pain of sadness, deception and redemption.  I really liked her Odile;  I always knew she would be good technically in Act 3, but this was a different interpretation.  Instead of nastiness or abject evil, I had the impression of a young girl just enjoying a game she was playing, wanting to see if she could win and impress her father. This was in a way a more gentle Odile.  She was sarcastic towards Siegfried, drawing him in, then spitting him out...leaving him in a state of turmoil and not understanding how and why she is all of a sudden rejecting him.  At certain points I could almost hear her saying 'awww, poor diddums, you are such a sucker...I'm just playing with your head and your heart.'  Technically assured, her fouettes were very impressive; some of them being done with an 'en arriere' position.  Loved it.

Act 4 was gorgeous and deeply felt from both of them.  Seldom have I seen impending doom look so beautiful and enticing.  Their pdd was exquisite and so believable;  Siegfried gently coaxing Odette to trust him again, to convince her of his love and to gain her forgiveness.  Odette hesitates at first, but is slowly won round by the patience and sincerity of Siegfried. Their progress towards pure love is matched by the slow build up of the music, which they both felt to their cores.  It brought a tear to my jaded eyes.  When Siegfried carried Odette's body downstage, I felt (to paraphrase Gertrude in Hamlet) that my heart had been cleft in two.

Joon, in his debut as Benno, was wonderful.  As with Corrales, we all knew of his technical abilities, but here he gave a real actor's performance; you really got the feeling he was being a protective and supportive friend to Siegfried, which is why the hurt on his face when Siegfried sent him away felt so real.  He was buoyant in all ways and a very good partner to the two sisters (beautifully performed in particular by Ashley Dean; she is on my list of promotions this year...as is Joon).  I just don't understand how he can jump so high and so far and yet land without making even a slight noise or vibration.  It's as if he is always hovering just above the stage floor.  Awesome and a huge bravo to him.

I would also like to echo Bridie's comments about the corps.  I don't know how many times a week they are dancing this ballet, but every time I see them they make it look fresh and vibrant, as if it's the first time.  They are such a huge asset to the company and truly are the 'body of the ballet'.   A very low curtsey from me to them.

I can also say the same thing for the orchestra under the baton of Koen Kessels.  Every performance sounds lush, and there really seems to be a connection between them and the dancers, which always enhances any performance.  

Finally, a huge thanks to the ROH for continuing to play the Ukrainian anthem before each show.  

• Like 27

Further to my previous comment about Instagram kicking me out, I've given up & created a new account https://www.instagram.com/auroraestella_temp/

I think one or two of the posters on here followed my previous Instagram account so I thought I'd mention it. I've posted some curtain call photos from last night on there (no point in posting them here with Rob's muh better photos just above!).

I very much enjoyed last night's performance but I don't think there's any point my trying to say anything as far more expert people have already done so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Is it definitely Frankie’s debut in the Odette/Odile role on Wednesday? What about William, is it his too?

Bracewell did Siegfried in the first run of this production in 2018. (Information checked with @Saodan's excellent site of Royal Ballet past casts.)

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure it’s Francesca’s debut as I had booked for this …originally with Corrales …when the Pandemic broke. 
Unfortunately I can’t now make any of her performances this run 😥

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Bracewell did Siegfried in the first run of this production in 2018. (Information checked with @Saodan's excellent site of Royal Ballet past casts.)

Wow, he's an old hand at it now! He's really been dancing those principal roles for a while now. 

• Like 1

I suppose he did the coming up through the ranks bit at BRB so was already at leading role level when he joined the RB.

Apropos Swan Lake casting, lower down the cast list, is it usual to have so few Big Swans? So far there have only been 2 pairs in the first 8 performances, Hamilton/Sasaki & Choe/Dias. I know there have also only been 2 Queens & 2 Von Rothbarts but there aren't many dancers who do those sorts of roles whereas there must be lots of dancers who could do the Big Swans. (It can be useful having no knowledge of technique because last night I very much enjoyed watching Hamilton, as I'm not able to see whatever techincal deficiencies she's supposed to have. I think she's a lovely dancer & has particularly lovely hands.)

• Like 2