ROH "Spring" booking - problems and experiences

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just applied the spring booking period filter to the What's On page as I wanted to double-check there's not any main stage operas booking tomorrow that I've forgotten about. The first 12 events that come up are all tours/insights/participation events. It's not until event 13 that a main stage production shows up. Surely, given that the majority of tickets that will be released tomorrow are for the main stage productions, it would make sense to list those first? Anyone looking for the second of the 2 new opera productions, Samson et Dalila, has to scroll past 35 other events in order to find it at the very end of the list!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just applied the spring booking period filter to the What's On page as I wanted to double-check there's not any main stage operas booking tomorrow that I've forgotten about. The first 12 events that come up are all tours/insights/participation events. It's not until event 13 that a main stage production shows up. Surely, given that the majority of tickets that will be released tomorrow are for the main stage productions, it would make sense to list those first? Anyone looking for the second of the 2 new opera productions, Samson et Dalila, has to scroll past 35 other events in order to find it at the very end of the list!

A word of warning: Peter Grimes appears to have sold particularly well, so if you are keen to see it and want a fair choice of seat you will probably need to be quick. I don't know how many tickets they've held back for General Booking but it's currently slim pickings outside the Amphitheatre.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

A word of warning: Peter Grimes appears to have sold particularly well, so if you are keen to see it and want a fair choice of seat you will probably need to be quick. I don't know how many tickets they've held back for General Booking but it's currently slim pickings outside the Amphitheatre.

They evidently held back quite a few because there was plenty of choice in the side stalls circle on both the dates I had a look at.

• Like 2

I was dreading today but the website was fine. Ashton triple x 2 plus Peter Grimes booked in under 7 minutes. I briefly got a technical error when I tried going back to the triple by clicking on the link in my basket but it worked alright when I went back to the What's On page & got into it that way. So pleased to have got front row stalls for the only Morera/Bonelli Month in the Country - and considerably baffled that that performance had far more stalls availability that the 26th where I had to settle for side stalls circle instead.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I was dreading today but the website was fine. Ashton triple x 2 plus Peter Grimes booked in under 7 minutes. I briefly got a technical error when I tried going back to the triple by clicking on the link in my basket but it worked alright when I went back to the What's On page & got into it that way. So pleased to have got front row stalls for the only Morera/Bonelli Month in the Country - and considerably baffled that that performance had far more stalls availability that the 26th where I had to settle for side stalls circle instead.

Very glad to hear it!

The booking pattern for the Ashton triple is slightly mysterious - I noticed the other day that some performances were much better sold than others. 

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

They evidently held back quite a few because there was plenty of choice in the side stalls circle on both the dates I had a look at.

I've just had a look and there is definitely more availability showing than there was last night.

People who were disappointed with the choice at Friends' booking might want to have a check back and see what's there now, as other productions might have the same thing going.

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Very glad to hear it!

The booking pattern for the Ashton triple is slightly mysterious - I noticed the other day that some performances were much better sold than others. 

I could understand it if the Saturday performances had sold more than weekdays but 30th is a Saturday & 26th isn't!

Well, this is fun. Even though I’m signed in, my Access membership isn’t showing up on the booking pages, so it’s not giving me my companion seat.  On hold but not hopeful of the phone being answered before I lose my tickets. 

Do I check out at full price then ask for a refund? Seems best but I’m not best pleased.

2 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Well, this is fun. Even though I’m signed in, my Access membership isn’t showing up on the booking pages, so it’s not giving me my companion seat.  On hold but not hopeful of the phone being answered before I lose my tickets. 

Do I check out at full price then ask for a refund? Seems best but I’m not best pleased.

I would - in my experience they're pretty flexible about that kind of thing and they know there are problems.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to ROH "Spring" booking - problems and experiences
1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

I would - in my experience they're pretty flexible about that kind of thing and they know there are problems.

A very nice man has answered. 👏🏻👏🏻 I’ve released my tickets and we think he’s grabbed them for me. 😂 Stressful!

• Like 2

There are still some problems....although I selected the 'old' site and could book one Month In Country ticket which I then immediately paid for I can't get it to show anything at all beyond picking a date for a subsequent performance and opening ROH on another tab I see it doesn't recognise my email/password when I log in....this is using Chrome on a desktop. I managed to book 'all' that I wanted on my phone...using Chrome 

• Like 3

Well, thank goodness for that; the loveliest person (Rocco, apparently) answered the phone and was able to grab my tickets as I released them, then book them for me at the access rate.  So all being well, I’ll be able to see my beloved Bonelli in his last scheduled performance at the ROH (still hoping for a guest spot as Onegin in future). 🤞🏻

• Like 7

Well I have to say that went extraordinary well and got the Month in the Country I wanted on the 26th! 
I have booked only on my phone for about a year now as my iPad can no longer do it poor old thing!! 
I treated myself to a stalls Circle row A  seat as probably only going once…though am thinking about the 30th as well…and am not sure I’m going to the other triple programme though may try to get a standing for that nearer the time …hopefully! 
The experience was no different to usual for me but realise may have just got lucky and have to say I’ve always been too chicken to book more than one seat at a time so if want three tickets say I go into the site three times 🙄 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

The experience was no different to usual for me but realise may have just got lucky and have to say I’ve always been too chicken to book more than one seat at a time so if want three tickets say I go into the site three times 🙄 

I usually check everything out together but as I was worried about what the site might do this morning as soon as I'd bagged the ticket I wanted for 30th April, which was my priority, I checked that out then went back for the other tickets. I went for the old checkout option as it seemed safer. Did anyone try the new one?

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've just had a look at all 7 performances, now that the general public have had a few hours of booking, and it looks like 3 performances (23rd mat, 26th & 29th) are really well sold with only a handful of seats available in each of the levels apart from the amphi whereas the other 4 performances have lots of seats available at all levels. I can't think why this is the case. It's not that one particular cast is the most popular & it's not day of the week, as the 2 Saturday evening performances have lots of availability. Oh well, I guess I should just be glad that I got tickets for the 2 performances I wanted!

By the way - and I probably should have asked this before booking! - do Scenes de Ballet & Rhapsody each only feature 2 dancers or are the casts given just for 2 main roles like for Month? (Month is the only one of the 3 ballets that I've seen before so I based my booking choices on the 2 casts that I didn't see in that in 2019.)

Edited by Dawnstar

25 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

By the way - and I probably should have asked this before booking! - do Scenes de Ballet & Rhapsody each only feature 2 dancers or are the casts given just for 2 main roles like for Month? (Month is the only one of the 3 ballets that I've seen before so I based my booking choices on the 2 casts that I didn't see in that in 2019.)

Those are just the leading 2 dancers - both have other dancers. Glad you got the tickets you wanted!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I've just had a look at all 7 performances, now that the general public have had a few hours of booking, and it looks like 3 performances (23rd mat, 26th & 29th) are really well sold with only a handful of seats available in each of the levels apart from the amphi whereas the other 4 performances have lots of seats available at all levels. I can't think why this is the case. It's not that one particular cast is the most popular & it's not day of the week, as the 2 Saturday evening performances have lots of availability. Oh well, I guess I should just be glad that I got tickets for the 2 performances I wanted!

30 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Without checking the casting, I booked the 26th and 29th, and I wanted the 23rd matinee but it was a 12.30 start, so resisted! 

Glad to hear the wesite is behaving.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

By the way - and I probably should have asked this before booking! - do Scenes de Ballet....

A review from 2011 states it has one lead couple, four male soloists and 12 female corps

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anna C said:

Well, thank goodness for that; the loveliest person (Rocco, apparently) answered the phone and was able to grab my tickets as I released them, then book them for me at the access rate.  So all being well, I’ll be able to see my beloved Bonelli in his last scheduled performance at the ROH (still hoping for a guest spot as Onegin in future). 🤞🏻

I was at a dooooo last night where he spoke very briefly and said something along the lines of "As my performing career is coming to an end...".  Sorry Anna/

• Like 1

It's now advertised as Yoshida, Putrov, Cuthbertson and Watson.  Watson was one of the four men: Cuthbertson was in the corps :) 

I'm trying to remember who the four men were: Ed Watson, Martin Harvey, Joshua Tuifua and ... it wasn't Ricardo Cervera, was it?  They were very good, anyway.

I forgot about public booking today as well, and was astounded to find so many value amphi tickets for my top priority, Morera & Bonelli's last Month in the Country. I wasn't given a choice of new vs old booking system, and was able to secure a pair side front amphi for that performance at 10:30ish. Again, amazingly, the seats right next to mine were still available at 12:30 for a friend+partner who was going to join, and then again at 14:00 for another friend + partner. So all went well, but the booking pattern has me confused as well...

9 hours ago, alison said:

It's now advertised as Yoshida, Putrov, Cuthbertson and Watson.  Watson was one of the four men: Cuthbertson was in the corps :) 

I'm trying to remember who the four men were: Ed Watson, Martin Harvey, Joshua Tuifua and ... it wasn't Ricardo Cervera, was it?  They were very good, anyway.

The fourth man was Yohei Sasaki.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

general booking question....

Can gift certificates be transferred? I can't find it in the T&Cs and  I have an e-mail to the box office but they are a  little busy. Just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head. I have several, my ROH days are over and won't willingly donate value to ROH but would like someone else to benefit from them.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, oncnp said:

general booking question....

Can gift certificates be transferred? I can't find it in the T&Cs and  I have an e-mail to the box office but they are a  little busy. Just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head. I have several, my ROH days are over and won't willingly donate value to ROH but would like someone else to benefit from them.

Thanks

You just need to pass on the exact redemption code.  I've often used redemption codes given to me by members of my family and they have gone through without any problems.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
Just now, Bluebird said:

You just need to pass on the exact redemption code.  I've often used redemption codes given to me by members of my family and they go through without problem. 

Good to hear. Thank you!