Is it "The Sleeping Beauty" or "Sleeping Beauty"

That's a fun question! A quick look through a random selection of postWW2 programmes shows everyone - including the Kirov when they appeared in London - using The Sleeping Beauty. But on the other hand, it's a Russian ballet and there are no words in Russian for 'the'. So for example here is what the title looks like on the cover of the 1893 Imperial Theatres programme in St Petersburg:

SB.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 4

Perhaps it’s the American way of making things less formal....by omitting  “The”? 
By adding the “The” I think it makes it slightly more of a unique occurrence....there’s only one possible Sleeping Beauty. 

What a small world it is (Hello thewinelake)!  

And if when you start Googling a question what turns up is a post by the person that commented to you about the matter... then I guess you're not going to find an answer!

I have seven programmes for said ballet, two in languages without definite articles, three "The Sleeping Beauty", and two "Sleeping Beauty" (both companies from countries with no definite article touring the UK).

In the course of my travels on Google I was also delighted to discover that composer Erkki Melartin also wrote music for a ballet Prinsessa Ruusunen just a few years after the more famous version, and of course as he was Finnish that doesn't help either :D  

Edited by barrybounce
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

Or Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Swahili, Pashto... by many measures of counting, languages with articles are in the minority :)

But what a well-endowed minority German for example has a rich choice of 16 words for “the”!  💪🏼🇩🇪

• Like 4

When The Sleeping Beauty was created, French was the official language of the Russian Court in St. Petersburg, so programmes, posters etc were for La Belle au Bois Dormant. So in the English translation it could be considered necessary to have "The". On the other hand we aways translate La Belle et la Bête as Beauty and the Beast without any articles. Both stories come from  Charles Perrault's collection of Fairy Tales.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Sp
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

When The Sleeping Beauty was created, French was the official language of the Russian Court in St. Petersburg, so programmes, posters etc were for La Belle au Bois Dormant. 

Thanks. It would be good to see examples of this, can you point to where they are to be found?

If you scroll up you’ll find my post from Monday with an example from an official Imperial Theatre’s programme of 1893 (three years after the premiere). This shows the Russian name: Spyashchaya krasavitsa. Other examples showing something different would be really interesting.

My understanding was that Russian was much the most commonly used language at the Russian court by this time - I believe that the Tsar at the time, Alexander III, was a strong advocate of this.

More generally I get the impression that the use of French in Russian aristocratic circles is somewhat overstated in the West.

Of the most recent productions I’ve seen in Britain, Birmingham Royal Ballet, English National Ballet and Royal Ballet all call it The Sleeping Beauty on the official production information pages. 

However, ENB’s condensed and modified version for small children in their My First Ballet tours danced by English National Ballet School students (using the main company production costumes) officially uses just “Sleeping Beauty”. 

I can’t say I’ve ever been too concerned about the....umm, “The”..... as long as the choreography credits contain the name Petipa and the music credit contains the name Tchaikovsky. 😁 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

My understanding was that Russian was much the most commonly used language at the Russian court by this time - I believe that the Tsar at the time, Alexander III, was a strong advocate of this.

More generally I get the impression that the use of French in Russian aristocratic circles is somewhat overstated in the West.

These are interesting points @Lizbie1. In relation to The Sleeping Beauty, it is worth considering what one might call the “Frenchness” of Tchaikovsky. The best work on this issue has not been done in Russia - perhaps unsurprisingly - nor either in France, but rather in Germany, by the respected academic Lucinde Braun, whose several works on the subject I can heartily recommend. 

For more on the overall questions you raise, and at the risk of self-promotion, you could have a look at my old post here:

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 01:07, simonbfisher said:

But what a well-endowed minority German for example has a rich choice of 16 words for “the”!  💪🏼🇩🇪

Way too many, if you ask people who learn German... 

And we don't use on of the 16 for (The) Sleeping Beauty 🙃 - the old fairy tale, that the Brothers Grimm adapted from Charles Perreault, as well as the ballet are called "Dornröschen" in German, which literally translated means "little rose with thorns" and uses the diminutive form of the name "Rose" in an endearing way.

• Like 2

On 26/01/2022 at 08:35, Sebastian said:

Thanks. It would be good to see examples of this, can you point to where they are to be found?

If you scroll up you’ll find my post from Monday with an example from an official Imperial Theatre’s programme of 1893 (three years after the premiere). This shows the Russian name: Spyashchaya krasavitsa. Other examples showing something different would be really interesting.

Sorry I don't have a link.  Everything I wrote is based on what I learnt many years ago in History of Ballet and normal history studies e.g.  for causes of the 1st World War.  At that time Paris was considered the centre of the world artistically and intellectually.  French was the diplomatic language used internationally.  (English only replaced French during the 20th Century as technology became more important).  The Russian Royal family intermarried with other European Royal Families and considered themselves European and valued all things French.  

• Like 1

Is current usage moving towards trimming titles … e.g. to ‘Nutcracker’ and ‘Sleeping Beauty’.  

In Russian ‘La Bayadere’ is just ‘Bayadere’  .. ‘Bayaderka’ .. ‘баядерка’

Why isn’t ‘Swan Lake’ known as ‘The Swan Lake’?   Or ‘Swans’ Lake’?   Or ‘‘The Lake of Swans’?   Hmm.