Natalia Osipova’s performances at Mikhailovsky Theatres cancelled

This is an extraordinary public post by the Director of the Mikhailovsky Theatre … to post publicly that her future performances have been cancelled because she has lied to them and also to the Royal Ballet management?  And for Natalia to have her partner lie on her behalf?     

I would like to be generous and hope there is another side to this story.    

https://mikhailovsky.ru/en/press/news/cancellation_of_natalia_osipova/

Cancellation of Natalia Osipova's performances. Vladimir Kekhman's Address

Dear patrons, 

We have found ourselves in a very unpleasant situation. All of us were looking forward to seeing Natalia Osipova in „La Bayadère“ on 17 June. As you know, she lives in London and is a principal dancer of the Royal Ballet Covent Garden. She was supposed to arrive in St Petersburg today, but never boarded the plane. Her partner has informed us that Natalia Osipova is in hospital and stays out of reach. 

We have contacted the management of the Royal Ballet only to find out that she is safe at the theatre in London. She never informed the Royal Ballet about her plans to fly to St Petersburg and she has a performance scheduled at the Royal Opera House. 

Three days ago, Natasha personally confirmed that all the dates of the performances at the Mikhailovsky Theatre had been agreed with the management of the Royal Ballet. It turns out that she was lying. 

Now we know that Natasha has lied to two theatres, you and me personally. In my opinion, this is unacceptable. First of all, she showed disrespect towards the audience. 

In this regard, I have decided to cancel all the performances of Natalia Osipova at the Mikhailovsky Theatre. She will not appear in „La Bayadère“ on 17 June. The performance will feature Leonid Sarafanov. The name of the ballerina is to be announced later. 

If you decide to return the tickets, you will receive a full refund. I offer you the most sincere apologies.

Vladimir Kekhman, artistic director of the Mikhailovsky Theatre

On 2 July, „Romeo and Juliet“ will feature Valeria Zapasnikova and Leonid Sarafanov. On 15 July, Anastasia Smirnova and Ivan Vasiliev will star in the ballet „Don Quixote“. 

We send our apologies to the visitors who will decide to return the tickets. In order to get the refund, they will need to fill in the form. You can find all the information about the tickets return on our official website mikhailovsky.ru

Just to clarify … it’s not my translation.  It’s the translation on the theatre’s own website.  

I saw the same post on Instagram and Facebook but didn’t want to post an IG or FB (mis)translation.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaddieRose said:

Wow. I too don't want to make any assumptions, so until we hear more on this matter I shall say it's news I wasn't expecting to read today. 

I somehow don’t think that ‘any more on this matter’ will be coming the way of the public!

Osipova has been listed to dance TchaiPas at the ROH tomorrow ever since the casting was announced. Her ‘extras’ (replacing Akane Takada) were on the 8th and 10th June.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SPD444 said:

Natalia not dancing this afternnoon - replaced by Marianela.  Very disappointed.

Personally I prefer Marianela’s take on this role.  Classically pure, more in style of Balanchine.  Pure enjoyment ... she’s lovely.  I hope you enjoy it.  And Marianela partnership with Reece will be new / unrehearsed, but could bring out the best of him.  Marianela has that effect on all her partners.  Enjoy! 😘

Edited by FionaE
Clarification
  • Like 5

That music has such a joyful content so any dancer who can really transmit that to the audience is wonderful to me. 
Osipova and Nunez are totally different dancers but both have this wonderful ability ( well not the only two of course) but among the very best. It’s not only a question of pure technique and good classical lines etc in some pieces but Balanchine has caught the joy in the music in his choreography and probably Nunez has it all for this particular piece. 
Sorry to hear Osipova is injured I hope it’s not too serious but she does give her all when dancing a quality similar to Nureyev. 

• Like 6

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Here’s wishing Natalia Osipova complete recovery from whatever injury or illness she’s suffering. She’s too precious an artist to be out of commission. 💐 

Clearly the Director at the Mikhailovsky doesn't think she's either. As for the ROH announcement, I think @capybara 's comment on diplomacy is spot on. 

7 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

anyone else think that perhaps they should have waited an hour, re-read, given it a bit more thought, before pressing the 'send' button?

Agreed but, at the same time, I rather like an occasional, dramatic, behind-the-scenes glimpse. 😂

• Like 13

The Times (UK) has covered the story twice.

Wouldn't it have been nice if they had also (especially in the second article) talked about Reece Clarke and Marianela Nunez needing to rehearse together at short notice for the Sunday show in London?

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Not sure what you mean “it’s not too difficult to deal with”. As as far as I can see you still can’t read it 🤔 

You can register and then read a limited number of free articles.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2021 at 23:01, Meetmeatthebarre said:

She famously likes her pointe shoes very, very dead. 

Yes everyone can see the condition of her shoes, I was not aware that they were a cause for injury though, or that she was injured often....?