Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@WaverleyHuge congratulations to your DD!!!

My pupil was heartbroken even though she always knew her chances were tiny. Thankfully I was able to break the news in person and talk it through with her. She is extraordinarily resilient though (which will serve her well) and bounced back by going on stage at a festival and placing 1st! She is now more determined than ever for her remaining auditions. 

Thank you for the support everyone!

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

@WaverleyHuge congratulations to your DD!!!

My pupil was heartbroken even though she always knew her chances were tiny. Thankfully I was able to break the news in person and talk it through with her. She is extraordinarily resilient though (which will serve her well) and bounced back by going on stage at a festival and placing 1st! She is now more determined than ever for her remaining auditions. 

Thank you for the support everyone!

Sounds like she is lucky to have such a wonderfully supportive teacher and indeed -resilience is key! Wishing her luck with remaining auditions. Congrats on the first place too, a great confidence boost for her. 

• Like 3

I know this is a Y7 thread, but I have been following it for a while, and you all Seem to know so much about the different balletschools, so I hope it is ok to post my question here. 

My DD has been offered a place for Y10 at both Hammond and Moorland. I got a really good impression of Hammond she auditioned, but at Moorland I just had to drop her off and didn’t get a chance to see the School. I am sure we will be able to visit now. 

My DD is mainly interested in classical ballet. Is there a difference in the Focus of the two schools? It seems like Hammond is a more all around Dance with lots of jazz/tap and musical theater Dance, where Moorland is mainly classsical ballet. Am I right - or? 

It is going to be a very difficult decision, so any experience of the two schools is much appreciated.

Thanks. 

No experience of Moorland, but DS was at Hammond for years 10-11.  He found the mix of students (not just ballet focussed) made for easier living - and he got enough ballet training to make the choices that suited him for US.  

Some negotiation was possible regarding options had he stayed for US.  It also did the ballet focussed  boy he was no harm to be bottom of the pile in tap (hadn't really done any for 3 years), and to stand in awe at the achievements of others who may not have been gifted ballet-shaped bodies.

He is still a professional ballet dancer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Betty’s mum said:

Has anyone heard anything further from Moorlands, my DD could not make the yr9 audition and I was informed they would be in touch as were thinking of running another for those that could not attend. However it appears places are been offered. Has anyone had yr9 offer? 

I haven’t heard anything at all 🤔. I sent 2 emails telling them we couldn’t make it and could they please use the original video footage but received no response to either. I assumed at the time they were just busy with auditions but who knows . 

32 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

I haven’t heard anything at all 🤔. I sent 2 emails telling them we couldn’t make it and could they please use the original video footage but received no response to either. I assumed at the time they were just busy with auditions but who knows . 

I did get an email back saying they may run a further audition for those who could not attend. Which yr group was your DC auditioning for?

I phoned Moorland this afternoon because in my experience emails are not replied to. The very pleasant receptionist said she’d ask Mrs Kidd to get in touch 🤷🏻‍♀️ @Ottobotto we are in the same position, but I emailed asking if we could submit a new video and never got any response. Given that someone on here said they were going to get results out “quickly” the long delay feels ominous…

3 hours ago, Betty’s mum said:

I did get an email back saying they may run a further audition for those who could not attend. Which yr group was your DC auditioning for?

Year 7. I didn’t think they would want more videos, I just assumed it was the first one or nothing but I’ll wait and see! 

Just out of curiosity and possibly a bit nosey ... are any boys auditing for WL year 8? 
I ask as a current year 7 boys mum and there are some spaces in our year group going into year 8. Apparently there are auditions tomorrow as ds and his fellow year group had to tidy up the dorm for people looking around tomorrow 

9 hours ago, The red shoes said:

Just out of curiosity and possibly a bit nosey ... are any boys auditing for WL year 8? 
I ask as a current year 7 boys mum and there are some spaces in our year group going into year 8. Apparently there are auditions tomorrow as ds and his fellow year group had to tidy up the dorm for people looking around tomorrow 

Good luck to year 8 & 9 finalists today. 

15 hours ago, Ottobotto said:

No news here either. We did video footage too 

19 hours ago, Balletmumlife said:

Daughter came out happy today and enjoyed herself. What will be, will be! Xx

I’m really pleased to hear that! Did they give you an indication of when you will hear the results from yesterday’s audition? X

29 minutes ago, Balletmumlife said:

Heard today. She didn't make finals, but that's how the ballet world can go. Still a positive experience for us all. X

I’m really sorry to hear that, but I both you hope had a wonderful time visiting (and for dd dancing!) in WL x

For anyone visiting London on Thursday 3rd March for WL finals, at this moment in time there is a full strike planned on London Underground on Tuesday and Thursday next week. Most people will probably go by car but might need to keep that in mind if travelling on public transport during their time in London. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Wrong date
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

For anyone visiting London on Thursday 3rd May for WL finals, at this moment in time there is a full strike planned on London Underground on Tuesday and Thursday next week. Most people will probably go by car but might need to keep that in mind if travelling on public transport during their time in London. 

Thanks so much for posting this - we’ll be coming down on the train and then using the tube so this is really useful to know. At the moment we should be arriving in Richmond on Wednesday and leaving on Friday so hopefully we won’t be too affected but now that I know I’ll keep an eye on it. Thank you!

36 minutes ago, Waverley said:

Thanks so much for posting this - we’ll be coming down on the train and then using the tube so this is really useful to know. At the moment we should be arriving in Richmond on Wednesday and leaving on Friday so hopefully we won’t be too affected but now that I know I’ll keep an eye on it. Thank you!

I think buses still run, and National Rail trains, but these tend to be rammed and journeys can take a lot longer. Maybe just keep an eye on it here, as it might also get called off. At least you’re super close in Richmond. 

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

For anyone visiting London on Thursday 3rd March for WL finals, at this moment in time there is a full strike planned on London Underground on Tuesday and Thursday next week. Most people will probably go by car but might need to keep that in mind if travelling on public transport during their time in London. 

thank you for sharing this :) 

• Like 1