Alina Cojocaru news

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, FionaE said:

The box office have no indication of running time.  They say it’s not yet in rehearsal by which I assume it’s not created in full yet.

The previous Brandstrup show in Bath was called Minotaur.  The box office say that had 2 parts of 40-45 minutes each with an interval.  I believe this new show includes part of that show.  

Does anyone know the running order of the Brandstrup Phaedra & Minotaur double bill in Edinburgh?

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2023/aug/19/phaedra-minotaur-review-royal-lyceum-edinburgh

The previous Bath show had a staged version of Britten's Phaedra in the first half (I can remember this because the mezzo Christine Rice made it to the bar during the interval!) followed by Minotaur.

It is indeed a small venue but they used the stage very cleverly.

15 hours ago, alison said:

Aaagh!  That's the same day as the BRB Sleeping Beauty (?) matinee I've already booked down in Southampton!  Don't suppose there's any way of getting a train back to London after the evening performance (and who would risk it with the intermittent train strikes at the moment?)

That’s it, Alison - time to get that helicopter.! You know you wanna. (I’m kidding but actually people do charter helicopter or small planes if they absolutely have to go from one town to another very quickly. And also for critical medical situations like transplant surgery!) Can you do one of the other Bath dates? (Get time off work?)

I wonder if someone can persuade them to reprise it at Sadler’s Wells. It was very nice seeing Jonathan Goddard, Johan and Alina dance there previously - not the same show though; Jonathan danced with Osipova in her show. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

The dance programme in Bath & at Sadlers Wells are different I think…. Anyone recommend which I should bust a gut to get to as both not achievable!

I love Kim Brandstrup's choreography but he is a contemporary choreographer.

I believe Alina is only in one of the pieces (Metamorphosis).  I've not been in the Ustinov theatre but it will be a very intimate space - the main theatre itself is small.

I'm sorry that Jonathan Goddard no longer seems to be listed but Tommy Franzen is...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

The dance programme in Bath & at Sadlers Wells are different I think…. Anyone recommend which I should bust a gut to get to as both not achievable!

Yes, you’re right, Peanut68.

Bath: Partnered by Matthew Ball. and with Kristen McNally and Tommy Franzen. Contemporary double bill of pieces by Kim Brandstrup. Thr other work, Minotaur, was shown at the Edinburgh Festival. Venue- Ustinov Studio, Bath Theatre Royal. Kim Brandstrup is an excellent choreographer whose work I’ve seen for years- contemporary in the style of MacMillan and Wheeldon, using classical technique, although he has done some pieces that uses more contemporary technique that can be performed by contemporary dance companies. Franzen is an experienced and versatile star  in contemporary, jazz and other styles, as well as choreographer on many stage and tv projects- he’s very highly regarded. McNally and Ball you know from RB. (With thanks to SheilaC whose excellent summary I borrowed bits of).

La Strada at SWT: am going principally to see Alina dance with Johan Kobborg (her other half) as he was a brilliant classical ballet star at RB and as an international guest artist for years, and in my experience has never given a less than outstanding performance, regardless of the ballet or piece he is dancing. Although he used to joke on friends’ posts in social media that he’s not in great shape, each time he’s appeared in a charity gala or in one of Alina’s projects (eg her Sadler’s Wells show in 2020) he dances and partners beautifully, has clearly kept in great shape, and his acting (he trained at Royal Danish Ballet School and was a principal at RDB while still quite young- their mime and acting tradition is wonderful) is sublime. (IMHO Johan retired from full time classical dancing too early, but he is also a a respected stager of classical productions and choreographer in his own right, so I guess he was very busy! ) Mick Zeni dances at La Scala and is an excellent danseur from his performances on their DVD and online posts. I know very little about their choreographer’s output (as far as I know her work hasn’t been staged in London yet and not a great deal online either) but she must be talented-Alina has always picked good choreographers for her projects. 

If both shows were in London, I’d see both. If I am only allowed one, I would pick Strada as a) going to Bath and back for a show would be a nightmare with regards to my trains, b) it’s more my kind of story even though I admire Brandstrup’s work immensely, c) Kobborg, d) Kobborg, e) Kobborg. 😆The Sleeping Beauty performances, whether you’re planning to attend Alina’s shows on Thursday or Saturday or not, are essential watching if you’ve never seen the BRB Sleeping Beauty before. (I recommend booking one of Alina’s and one of another ballerina’s, if you can.)  😊

Edited by Emeralds
To cut out the bit about Jonathan Goddard since he’s no longer listed in the cast.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Alina Cojocaru dances Marguerite in John Neumeier's Lady of the Camellias at Hamburg on January 10. and 14. If you have not seen her in the role, she is the best next to Marcia Haydée who once created the role, imho.

• Like 6

Just throwing this out there but I would love Hamburg Ballet to visit London bringing their Neumeier ballets like La Dame aux Camellias soon. Would be lovely to see Alina Cojocaru dance with them and they do also have lots of stunning company principals, soloists and artists. 

• Like 6

A reminder of the London Ballet Circle interview with Alina tomorrow.

Tuesday 9 January 2024

7pm (UK time)

She has proposed a new interviewer … Daniel Pratt who is a first soloist at Sarasota Ballet, and a dance writer for Bachtrack, Seeing Dance and others.  

Our zoom interviews are free to members.

Tickets for non-members can be booked here

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/in-conversation-with-Alina-Cojocaru-via-zoom

Or consider joining for £20 a year and get access to our 12+ zooms a year plus other events! 

IMG_1084.jpeg

• Like 1

"Cojocaru’s 2024 dance card is filling fast, including guest appearances in Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Sleeping Beauty, Hamburg Ballet’s Epilogue (John Neumeier’s swansong as director) followed by a return to the UK to help kick-start the relaunch of London City Ballet."

Above from the FT interview with Alina - has anything else been announced about her working with LCB?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TSR101 said:

"Cojocaru’s 2024 dance card is filling fast, including guest appearances in Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Sleeping Beauty, Hamburg Ballet’s Epilogue (John Neumeier’s swansong as director) followed by a return to the UK to help kick-start the relaunch of London City Ballet."

Above from the FT interview with Alina - has anything else been announced about her working with LCB?

Not that I am aware of.  

I’ve seen on IG that LCB is making an announcement on 17th January.  I think it will cover the tour dates (although a second venue after Bath - Cheltenham - has already been announced).

Wow - what a woman!!

in awe & at the same time she’s so graciously humble like she could be your personal friend too! 

amazing insights into her life & the world of ballet 

Thank you to her & the telegraph for such a great hour!

• Thanks 1

I just checked yes the recording is up on the members area @Peanut68 👍

Just looked at Sadlers Wells bookings for La Strada are slow plenty of tix to be had I wonder if there'll be any deals/offers? Anyone know if SW might do an offer? Nothing on our ticket special offer forum. 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

I’d really like to go but I’m usually a last minute booker (last year booked Tiler Peck at 3.30pm for 7pm show…. With an over a 3 hour drive to get there!!) as has to fit in with family commitments…

• Like 2

I thought the Telegraph interview was very good as an interview but I had been hoping that there might be some La Strada rehearsal footage shown, which there wasn't. So I still feel none the wiser as to what style the choreography will be & therefore whether or not I want to consider seeing it.

• Like 1

Alina explained it is a mix of classical ballet language and contemporary for the more circus performers. 

plenty of clips on her social media … Facebook, Instagram and X.  

search for “ACWorkroom”

Alina/Gelsomina with the two angels

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2ST6rnNMAY/?igsh=MTdwcnUwdjN3OHFrdA==

Whole cast

https://x.com/acworkroom/status/1745822948479393864?s=46&t=71xu8ENiUnOaGlNNf_J20A