Alina Cojocaru news

The show is listed on the Teatro Arcimboldi website as being in August/September 2023.  No specific date(s) yet.

https://www.teatroarcimboldi.it/fat-event/la-strada/

When originally listed they had Alban Lendorf (former Royal Danish and ABT principal) as Zampanò … now changed to former La Scala principal Mick Zeni.  The choreographer has also changed … was originally Otto’s twin brother Jiri Bubeniček.  Now it is Natalia Horecna.  

There were initial creation/rehearsal clips with this revised cast shared in November 2022. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been other stagings of this story ….

2018 by Marco Goecke for Gaertnerplatztheatre

https://youtu.be/lfKSPRZZYRw

2005 at La Scala  (originally choreographed in 1966 by Mario Pistoni)

(google for possible unofficial recording in 3 parts) 

2017 for Tbilisi State Ballet starring Nina Ananiashvili … she looks perfect in this.  Choreography by Gianluca Schiavoni.

https://youtu.be/BU9_UypDXvg

Probably others too. 

I can’t help feeling the story is similar to Liliom (aka Carousel) created at Hamburg by Neumeier on Alina … a character treated badly by men, with a circus themed background.  

• 2 weeks later...

Alina will perform the dual role of Hippolyta/Titania in John Neumeier’s full length version of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM with Hamburg Ballet … on 20 and 24 April 2023.  Both shows are sold out.

Alina features in these roles in this trailer from the 2019/2020 season partnered (then and now) by Christopher Evans as Theseus/Oberon. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Alina performed Neumeier’s The Glass Menagerie last night as part of the Hamburg Ballet days (a festival of ballet which lasts a month).  

It’s an extraordinary dramatic ballet of Tennessee William’s memory play.  The story is heartbreaking throughout and the ending rips your heart out as she snuffs out each candle on a candlestick holder one-by-one … to end in darkness.  

Alina gets to dance with a modified shoe over one pointe shoe for much of the ballet.  Super movement creation to depict her character’s disability and her emotional journey.   

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 4

The Glass Menagerie is next on stage in Hamburg in May 2024

Casting is not usually announced in Hamburg until a few weeks in advance.  

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/event.php?AuffNr=196297

A review by Maggie Foyer from the premiere in December 2019

https://www.seeingdance.com/hamburg-ballet-glass-menagerie-17122019/

Edited by FionaE
Add review
  • Thanks 1

Alina has a full schedule this next couple of months (info from Alina Cojocaru fan group on Facebook):

🩰 1 July - THE GLASS MENAGERIE in Hamburg

🩰5 July - GISELLE in Tbilisi Ballet Festival, partnered by Royal Ballet principal Reece Clarke 

🩰 7 July - LILIOM in Hamburg

🩰 9 July - NIJINSKY GALA XLVIII in Hamburg.  Alina performs an excerpt from Third Symphony of Gustav Mahler, with Edvin Revazov. 

🩰 13 July - PAST FORWARD gala with Jacopo Tissi in Vicenza

🩰 14 or 15 July - MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM in Granada.  Dates and full cast TBA

🩰 16 July - PAST FORWARD gala with Jacopo Tissi in Civitanova

🩰 17 August - PAST FORWARD gala with Jacopo Tissi in Taormina

🩰 22, 26, 27 August - BALLET INTERNATIONAL GALAS in Australia.  Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne.  Rose Adagio from Sleeping Beauty.  

🩰 August/September - new creation LA STRADA with own company at Teatro Arcimboldi, Milan 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alina will perform Titania in Ashton’s Midsummer Night’s Dream with Semperoper Ballet in Dresden on 12 and 15 October 2023.   The programme includes David Dawson’s The Four Seasons. 

Alessandra Ferri is coaching. 

According to Instagram story posts by both these dancers and also by Marcelo Gomes, Artistic Advisor 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure that anyone has posted that Alina will be dancing  at the end of January and beginning of February in England- in Bath. Partnered by Matthew Ball. and with Kristen McNally and Tommy Franzen. It's a contemporary double bill of pieces by Kim Brandstrup. Jonathan Goddard is in the other work, Minotaur, which was shown at the Edinburgh Festival.

The dates have been modified- the performances I initially booked got cancelled!- but it runs 29 January to 10 February, at the Ustinov Studio, Bath Theatre Royal (one matinee, Saturday 10 February)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I'm not sure that anyone has posted that Alina will be dancing  at the end of January and beginning of February in England- in Bath. Partnered by Matthew Ball. and with Kristen McNally and Tommy Franzen. It's a contemporary double bill of pieces by Kim Brandstrup. Jonathan Goddard is in the other work, Minotaur, which was shown at the Edinburgh Festival.

The dates have been modified- the performances I initially booked got cancelled!- but it runs 29 January to 10 February, at the Ustinov Studio, Bath Theatre Royal (one matinee, Saturday 10 February)

Jonathan Goddard would be the draw for me!  I see the matinee on 10th Feb is showing as sold out so it would be an overnight stay for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Aaagh!  That's the same day as the BRB Sleeping Beauty (?) matinee I've already booked down in Southampton!  Don't suppose there's any way of getting a train back to London after the evening performance (and who would risk it with the intermittent train strikes at the moment?)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SheilaC said:

does anyone knowhow long this piece is?

might be worth a day out but not if it's only 20 minutes running time.

18 minutes ago, PeterS said:

but if they're both only short pieces,its a long way to go from London even for Matty Ball, hence my asking if anyone knows the running time(s)?

Even further from Liverpool!

When I worked in Bath I knew a number of people who commuted to London on a daily basis.

I don’t know the running times but if I had to hazard a guess I would say somewhere between 75 and 90 minutes for the evening.

• Thanks 1

The box office have no indication of running time.  They say it’s not yet in rehearsal by which I assume it’s not created in full yet.

The previous Brandstrup show in Bath was called Minotaur.  The box office say that had 2 parts of 40-45 minutes each with an interval.  I believe this new show includes part of that show.  

Does anyone know the running order of the Brandstrup Phaedra & Minotaur double bill in Edinburgh?

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2023/aug/19/phaedra-minotaur-review-royal-lyceum-edinburgh

• Thanks 2