Alina Cojocaru news

1 hour ago, TSR101 said:

Very jealous Fiona. I have always found it very difficult to find out where Alina is going to perform and its rather late now for me to try and get there! 

Well it’s still doable … plenty of tickets for the shows available still.   And it’s easy to book a flight and hotel.  

No need for tests to fly if you are vaccinated.  If triple vax then easy access to all venues.  Double vax needs a formal negative test as well.  Plus FFP2 masks.  Hoping I understand Hamburg rules correctly 🤞

• Like 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/02/2022 at 08:05, Angela said:

Aren't we all... 🙄

true.  Live performance is a whole other experience to recorded for sure.

Recording has its place though … for the many for whom it’s too far to travel, or can’t travel, or can’t afford a theatre ticket.   There are so many different formats too … DVD, online and cinema relay.  Neumeier does himself, his dancers and his many wonderful creations a disservice by not making them more widely available.  Sigh.

• Like 6

On 20/02/2022 at 14:53, FionaE said:

Neumeier does himself, his dancers and his many wonderful creations a disservice by not making them more widely available.  Sigh.

I thought he did! I just checked my blu-ray collection and I've recordings of the following Neumeier ballets - Beethoven Project, La Dame aux Camélias, Ghost Light, A Midsummer NIght's Dream, Nijinsky, and Tatiana. At least two of those I think have been released in the last year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisG said:

I thought he did! I just checked my blu-ray collection and I've recordings of the following Neumeier ballets - Beethoven Project, La Dame aux Camélias, Ghost Light, A Midsummer NIght's Dream, Nijinsky, and Tatiana. At least two of those I think have been released in the last year!

Are they Hamburg though?

Neumeier is very keen on getting his ballets recorded, he works with German TV stations which makes the recordings less expensive for everyone involved. Nowadays, almost all of his new works get recorded by arte, NDR or some other TV station, and subsequently available on DVD.

What Fiona probably meant is that Hamburg's streaming activities during the lockdowns in Germany were rather zilch - some of his very old recordings like Kameliendame, but nothing new, none of the videos for in-house company use like NYCB or Stuttgart Ballet did, no live streams like Munich or Vienna. I don't know if they don't have the technical equipment at the Hamburg Opera House or if Neumeier is too much perfectionist to stream something he did not check before. I might suspect the latter, if I had not seen the astoundingly sloppy corps de ballet dancing on his new Mid Summer Night's Dream DVD. So yes, live theatre is great - but we were all so thankful how most companies opened their archives generously and helped us over the lockdowns. Not so Mr. Neumeier.

Edited by Angela
Forgot Vienna
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, ChrisG said:

thank you.   Are those all Hamburg ballet?    I know Midsummer Night’s Dream is, and is recent.  

On 21/02/2022 at 16:25, ChrisG said:

Precisely. That’s why I asked about Liliom. ;)

Alina’s last performance of Liliom in Hamburg is tonight.

She will be dancing in a gala arranged by Hamburg principal Jacopo Bellussi in Genova on 8th April 2022 at the Teatro Carlo Felice.  Booking is not yet open.  

They have been rehearsing a pdd from Die Kameliendame for this gala.  

Edited by FionaE
Grammar

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Upcoming performances at Hamburg Ballet

22 June - Alina in lead role in ‘The Glass Menagerie’

24 June - Alina as Aurora in ‘Sleeping Beauty’, with Alexandr Trusch (SOLD OUT)

30 June - Alina as Julie in ‘Liliom’, with Karen Azatyan as Liliom

3 July - is the annual Nijinsky Gala. I’m sure Alina will perform in this too, programme not yet announced (SOLD OUT) 

Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball will perform MacMillan’s Carousel pdd at the Nijinsky Gala.  Mayara announced this on the London Ballet Circle zoom interview last night.  She says they were invited, after having performed this pdd at the Queen of Denmark’s Jubilee celebratory galas in Copenhagen a few weeks ago.  These were also arranged by John Neumeier.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Just felt like adding in (though most people know already) that Alina will be back in London in September at the Coliseum, dancing Giselle with the new United Ukrainian Ballet company, in Alexei Ratmansky’s new production. Very exciting for three reasons (Alina, Ratmansky and seeing what the company will look like). 

Edited by Emeralds

27 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Just felt like adding in (though most people know already) that Alina will be back in London in September at the Coliseum, dancing Giselle with the new United Ukrainian Ballet company, in Alexei Ratmansky’s new production. Very exciting for three reasons (Alina, Ratmansky and seeing what the company will look like). 

For me 4 reasons - Katja Kanuikova dancing Giselle while still doing her very best behind the scenes for her countrypeople.

(End of diversion!)

• Like 1

And …  

- Nureyev Galas on 5,6,12 September in London.  John Neumeier’s Don Juan pdd with Alexandr Trusch (Hamburg principal) 

- Sleeping Beauty with Istvan Simon (former Dortmund, Kremlin, Dresden principal) at Melbourne Academy of the Arts in Australia on 30/9 and 1/10

- gala in Seoul, Korea arranged by Kimin Kim on 18-20 August 2022.  Alina is performing Manon bedroom pdd and Onegin final pdd, both with Friedemann Vogel (Stuttgart principal) 

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 3

A new creation announced today by Juliano Nunes ‘Lacuna’’ for 5 dancers to be performed 4-7 August at the extraordinary venue that is the Red Tower, Julier Pass in Switzerland as part of the Origen Festival Cultural

- Alina

- Daniel Camargo (ABT principal)

- Shale Wagman (Munich first soloist)

- Derek Dunn (Boston principal)

- Nayara Lopes (Philadelphia principal) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgR8cLbo66N/?igshid=NmZiMzY2Mjc=

info on the venue

https://www.instagram.com/p/BurMAWyAgep/?igshid=NmZiMzY2Mjc=

Edited by FionaE
Add venue info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 22/07/2022 at 03:36, FionaE said:

A new creation announced today by Juliano Nunes ‘Lacuna’’ for 5 dancers to be performed 4-7 August at the extraordinary venue that is the Red Tower, Julier Pass in Switzerland as part of the Origen Festival Cultural

- Alina

info on the venue

They are rehearsing at the wonderful Orsolina28 Studios in Italy, what a great inspiring place for dance💖💖

https://www.orsolina28.it/en/about/vision/

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 02:36, FionaE said:

- Alina

info on the venue

What a fabulous ensemble!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Alina danced 2 performances of Manon with Queensland Ballet in their new production of Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon (with his widow Deborah overseeing rehearsals). Artistic director Li Cunxin and his wife Mary Li (nee McKendry), both former stars of Houston Ballet and other companies, joined the cast portraying GM and Madame respectively in some performances. Lucky Queensland audiences! 

• Like 6

Alina also performed two shows of Sleeping Beauty partnered by Istvan Simon with Melbourne Dance Academy of the Arts, a week earlier than the Manons mentioned above.  Istvan is a former principal of Semperoper Dresden, Hungarian National Ballet and Dortmund.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Alina Cojocaru danced in National Ballet of Japan’s New Year Ballet gala Neumeier’s Don Juan with Alexandr Trusch. I was lucky to see her in 3 performances and she was fabulous, so airy and dramatic, with otherworldly stage presence and ethereal movements. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnYYpSLvfSZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

She will also join Hamburg Ballet’s Japan tour in March, dancing in Lady of the Camellias in the gala performance The World of John Neumeier with Trusch.  
https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/hamburg-ballet-2023-japan-tour.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

She is also performing the lead role in Neumeier’s The Glass Menagerie with Hamburg Ballet in Chicago on 23,24,25 February (it’s not stated that she does all 3 performances, although I note there has only been one cast to date) 

https://www.harristheaterchicago.org/performance/theglassmenagerie

We also await casting for ‘Illusions - Like Swan Lake’  in Hamburg 11-19 February.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wish I could just travel the world following my favourite dancers such as Alina….. I know what I’d spend any lottery winnings on!!! Not sure the Hubbie would approve…. But then he’d probs prefer to take half the winnings instead 😂

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, FionaE said:

Casting for Illusions - like Swan Lake is announced.  

Alina performs the role of Odette (there is no Odile in this version) on 11 & 12 February 2023

Natalia is a sort of Odile, dancing also the back swan pdd, but with a different intention (Diana Vishneva danced it as a Black Swan and was booed -maybe because she didn't perform the foutttes, but there were better reasons to dissent with that performance).

Natalia is a much more relevant role and Cojocaru danced it opposite Revazov in previous run. I am happy she is not dancing Natalia in this cast: Odette can stand alone, as Marguerite surprisingly and splendidly did in Venice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Angela said:

Seems an interesting topic for a ballet but in terms of staging I am curious to see how this goes. the way they are eliciting donations (with bank details listed) doesn’t strike me as though they have stable financing. 

I am also surprised she did not seek a bigger draw partner to gain more financing/draw the crowds (for all his faults Polunin was the major draw for many to the R&J they did). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Interesting! Esp to see the continuing trend gif world class big draw artists to ‘produce’ their own works…. I couldn’t however pick up from the link when & where this production will be performed….??

It should be at Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milan in few months.

• Thanks 2