Dance on terrestrial Christmas and New Year TV (and radio) 2020

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Well that will be what we paid for last week, surely 😆

Or some part of the "Essential Royal Ballet" DVD or a new combination of everything the RB has filmed in the past few months or a way to make back the cost of the filming the things in the first place? 

And the wording

"The Royal Opera and the Royal Ballet will both stage All Star Galas, to be shown on BBC Four"

"will both stage" almost sounds like it might be new. Too much to hope for though. 

Edited by oncnp

I suspect it will be a selection from the two ballet galas they've streamed: it certainly can't be the whole lot, given the duplication (and equally, why would the ROH want to give everything away?  They didn't with the reopening programmes).

Of course, both companies have a number of unbroadcast cinema recordings and the like which I guess could be shown if the will is there - although the ROH might want to keep its powder dry for future streamings/DVD releases.

• Like 1

Surely it will be the 9th October Gala for ballet. 

The fuller press release from the BBC says "Katie Derham presents The Royal Opera All Star Gala, recorded in September, will star Aigul Akhmetshina, Charles Castronovo, Gerald Finley, Lisette Oropesa, Sonya Yoncheva, and Vito Priante performing much-loved classics; whilst The Royal Ballet All Star Gala, which was filmed in October and is presented by Anita Rani will reunite the full Royal Ballet Company with the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House for the first time in seven months"

Also Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes on BBC2.

Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/christmas-tv-2020

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RMM1 said:

Surely it will be the 9th October Gala for ballet. 

The fuller press release from the BBC says "Katie Derham presents The Royal Opera All Star Gala, recorded in September, will star Aigul Akhmetshina, Charles Castronovo, Gerald Finley, Lisette Oropesa, Sonya Yoncheva, and Vito Priante performing much-loved classics; whilst The Royal Ballet All Star Gala, which was filmed in October and is presented by Anita Rani will reunite the full Royal Ballet Company with the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House for the first time in seven months"

Also Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes on BBC2.

Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/christmas-tv-2020

What a shame we couldn't have the gala without Anita Rani.  She added absolutely nothing to the proceedings.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2020 at 09:26, Pas de Quatre said:

How to cut the revenue from streaming in one easy lesson!

I don't think so, as it is the October Gala which is to be shown again on BBC4, and this is no longer on sale for streaming.  Also, presumably  the ROH/RB get  revenue from letting the BBC screen it over Christmas? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rumpelstiltskin: BalletLORENT

Sky Arts HD.     Sky:820.   Virgin:156.   BT:363.   Sat 19 Dec.  11:00am-12:30pm (1 hour 30 minutes)

An adaptation of the Grimm Brothers fairy tale of Rumpelstiltskin, directed by Liv Lorent and retold by poet Carol Ann Duffy

28 Dec

BBC 4, 0125: Betroffenheit from Sadler's Wells

Created by Crystal Pite and Jonathon Young, the award-winning Betroffenheit is a boundary-stretching hybrid between theatre and dance that explores the psychological states of trauma, grief and addiction. The title of the piece is a German word that simply translated means shock, bewilderment, dismay and is based on Young's own experience - his teenage daughter, niece and nephew died in a fire whilst on a family holiday in 2009.

Combining tap, salsa, spoken word, song and puppetry with Pite's emotionally charged choreography,

• alison changed the title to Dance on Christmas TV 2020

So, I'm trying to put something together for the next two weeks - I'm afraid it'll have to be in dribs and drabs, though, so it's incomplete at present.  Many thanks to jmhopton, whose post from the "ROH Christmas offerings" thread I'm significantly cannibalising.

Sat 19th Dec, 11 am:

Sky Arts, Rumpelstiltskin  by LORENT Ballet.

Sunday 20th Dec, Sky Arts, 6 am: Moulin Rouge

Sky Arts, 12 noon: RB Nutcracker (guessing the 2016 release?)

Mon 21 Dec, Sky Arts, 6 am: RB Giselle (probably the "Osipova/Acosta" cast which looks uncannily like Nunez/Muntagirov?)

Tues 22 Dec, Sky Arts, 6 am: RB Ashton triple (presumably The Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite & Armand?)

Wed 23 Dec, Sky Arts, 6 am: RB Anastasia

Thurs 24 Dec, Sky Arts, 6 am: RB Sleeping Beauty (cast?)

Fri 25 Dec, Sky Arts, 6 am: RB Nutcracker

Sat 26 Dec, Sky Arts, 6 am: RB Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

BBC4, 7 pm: Royal Ballet All-Star Gala

Sun 27 Dec, Sky Arts, 10 am: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake (2018?)

Sky Arts, 9 pm: Cats: the musical (not ballet but hopefully Gillian Lynne's choreography.)

Mon 28 Dec, BBC4, 01:25 am: Betroffenheit, from Sadler's Wells (Crystal Pite and Jonathon Young)

Tues 29 Dec, London Live (may be geographically limited?) 7.15am: Ballet Shoes: The Ballet (London Children's Ballet)

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Dance on terrestrial Christmas and New Year TV (and radio) 2020

We recorded the Ashton triple bill from Sky Arts the last time it was shown and - having just got round to watching it - we were surprised that there was no information of any sort given, no introduction, just the names of the ballets, and it stopped abruptly after 2 hours, quite soon into the curtain calls for Marguerite and Armand. I gather there's actually more to it than this?

We'll try recording it again next week.

And isn't Yanowsky stunningly beautiful?

1 minute ago, Jane S said:

We recorded the Ashton triple bill from Sky Arts the last time it was shown and - having just got round to watching it - we were surprised that there was no information of any sort given, no introduction, just the names of the ballets, and it stopped abruptly after 2 hours, quite soon into the curtain calls for Marguerite and Armand. I gather there's actually more to it than this?

It was Yanowsky's farewell performance, so presumably they decided to cut that (I did think it was quite a time-heavy bill to be fitting into a 2-hour slot)?  But no, I've been surprised (not only here, but on BBC4) to see ballets and the like presented with absolutely no introduction, not even any on-screen text.  Must be very difficult for a newcomer to ballet to get into it.  But is that because it's the way the ROH (and possibly others) present it, with live presenters to tell you what's about to happen?  I think the Australian Ballet Cinderella had a text introduction, IIRC.

On 16/12/2020 at 21:01, jmhopton said:

Checking out the ballet on the online tv guide Janite very helpfully sent me and I came across Ballet Shoes: The ballet. It is on Dec 29th 7.15am-9am on London Live.  Not living in London I've never heard of this channel and I don't know if this is a channel other areas can get with smart tvs or not. it is an adaptation of the classic Noel Streatfield story by London Children's Ballet. it says it's Freeview Channel 8, Sky 117, Virgin 159 and BT 8 so maybe possibilities for other areas..

On 16/12/2020 at 21:35, Jan McNulty said:

I suspect it's only in the London area Joan.  Our Freeview channel 8 was "Liverpool Live" but my channel 8 now seems to have disappeared.  What a shame - I would like to have seen that.

On 16/12/2020 at 21:45, alison said:

Ah, you've just reminded me: I was going to say that if anyone spots anything in the regional variations (London Live in my case - it has been known to do ballet and dance in the past) please post.  My copy of the Radio Times for some reason has the coverage for Wales in it - I think the same as last year!

1 hour ago, alison said:

Mon 28 Dec, BBC4, 01:25 am (so presumably early Tuesday morning?): Betroffenheit, from Sadler's Wells (Crystal Pite and Jonathon Young)

No - correct as posted Monday 28 Dec 0125

58 minutes ago, alison said:

…..I've been surprised (not only here, but on BBC4) to see ballets and the like presented with absolutely no introduction, not even any on-screen text.  

Perhaps because they are merely showing the commercially available DVDs which have no introduction?

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Perhaps because they are merely showing the commercially available DVDs which have no introduction?

That's my assumption - but then I'm surprised that the DVDs don't have any on-screen explanation whatsoever.

3 hours ago, alison said:

What I want to know is, where are all the plays and things Sky Arts implied they were going to be showing?  I haven't spotted any so far.

They are showing a National Theatre Twelfth Night on Monday 21 Dec at 9pm with Tamsin Greig. Also, Monday 28th Dec the NT Jane Eyre at 9pm. haven't spotted anything else much apart from some repeated musicals. Not too great really from our only named Arts channel, especially considering the NT cinema output if they want to go down the line of broadcasting them.

Just had a reply from London Live who are broadcasting the Ballet Shoes ballet and they confirm it is only available to Londoners; outside London you can't access the channel numbers given, and it's not available online.

• Like 1

According to today's ROH Friends newsletter these are the performances being  broadcast

Sky Arts

The following ballets are being broadcast by Sky Arts over the coming weeks:

The Nutcracker (2016) - 20 December, 12pm GMT

Giselle (2017) - 21 December, 6am GMT 

Ashton Triple Bill (2017) - 22 December, 6am GMT 

Anastasia (2016) - 23 December, 6am GMT

The Sleeping Beauty (2017) - 24 December, 6am GMT 

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (2017) - 26 December

.....and if you have Netflix

Netflix - from 20 December

The following productions will soon be available to stream on Netflix:

La bohème (2017)

The Nutcracker (2018)

Edited by oncnp

17 hours ago, jmhopton said:

They are showing a National Theatre Twelfth Night on Monday 21 Dec at 9pm with Tamsin Greig. Also, Monday 28th Dec the NT Jane Eyre at 9pm. haven't spotted anything else much apart from some repeated musicals. Not too great really from our only named Arts channel, especially considering the NT cinema output if they want to go down the line of broadcasting them.

Not Sky but BBC 4 showing Uncle Vanya  filmed during lockdown on Wed 30 Dec 2020 22:00

On 18/12/2020 at 13:21, Jane S said:

We'll try recording it again next week.

I've just set the recorder for whatever ungodly hour it's on later today, and realised we have an extra 10 minutes allocated (it must be Christmas!), so perhaps we'll get the full thing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let’s not forget the annual New Year’s Day concert by the Vienna Philharmonic, which always includes at least two numbers performed by the Vienna Staatsballett! Here’s information from PBS, which telecasts it in the USA (9pm Eastern in most affiliates).  Feel free to add links to telecasts in the UK and beyond.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/from-vienna-the-new-years-celebration-2021-about/12205/

Happy New Year! 🎊🎈 🎉 🥳 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Let’s not forget the annual New Year’s Day concert by the Vienna Philharmonic, which always includes at least two numbers performed by the Vienna Staatsballett! Here’s information from PBS, which telecasts it in the USA (9pm Eastern in most affiliates).  Feel free to add links to telecasts in the UK and beyond.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/from-vienna-the-new-years-celebration-2021-about/12205/

Happy New Year! 🎊🎈 🎉 🥳 

BBC 2 - 10:15am - 12:45pm GMT

Don't know about dances though...not mentioned in the official program  https://live.wienerphilharmoniker.at/en/konzerte/new-years-concert-without-audience/9893/ or on the Wiener Staatsballett website. 

and...good grief...another Nutcracker (Nureyev) - Monday, 4 January 2021, 7 p.m. (CET I assume) 

"With, among others, Natascha Mair, Robert Gabdullin, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet"

…"the streams listed below are available free of charge in Austria and internationally on the website https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/

The broadcasts are available for 24 hours." 

Edited by oncnp

21 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

The above USA (PBS) link specifically notes “Vienna State Ballet” in bold letters, so here’s hoping for a pointe-shoe sighting...filmed in a bubble, of course.

Oh, I see...should have read it more closely...filmed clips not actually dancing in the hall.