Dance on terrestrial Christmas and New Year TV (and radio) 2020

Ah, we’re in luck. There’s confirmation  on the Vienna State Ballet’s FB page of its participation in the concert. Two numbers - Margherita Polka and Voices of Spring Waltz - choreographed by Jose Martinez and costumes by Lacroix:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3624575594266242&id=154993347891168

Several specific dancers listed at the bottom of this notice. Yay!

• Like 1

On 30/12/2020 at 10:57, alison said:

I think I can just about squeeze this one in here:

Matthew Bourne's Romeo & Juliet, 9.15 am Sky Arts on Sunday 3rd January 2021

So it says in the Radio Times but when I tried to set up to record it the television programme guide shows The Best of Mario Lanza!

On 31/12/2020 at 08:01, alison said:

I think that's fairly standard, from the odd occasions when I do watch the NY programme.

Alison, I believe that the fear was that the Vienna dancers wouldn’t be able to rehearse and film the numbers during COVID...but they did so, splendidly. However, there was something haunting about the empty auditorium  at the Musikverein...no clapping along to the Radetzky March at the end. Must admit to a few tears.

Just finishing this thread off with a question:

I recorded the 2016 Royal Ballet Nutcracker off Sky Arts several times over Christmas (just to confirm it was the same one each time!).  The colouring on my TV seemed oddly orangey - almost as if I had f.lux on, which I didn't, as my computer wasn't involved at all.  Was my TV misbehaving, or did other people find this as well?

21 hours ago, alison said:

Just finishing this thread off with a question:

I recorded the 2016 Royal Ballet Nutcracker off Sky Arts several times over Christmas (just to confirm it was the same one each time!).  The colouring on my TV seemed oddly orangey - almost as if I had f.lux on, which I didn't, as my computer wasn't involved at all.  Was my TV misbehaving, or did other people find this as well?

I've recorded it twice as well and found it a tad fuzzier on replay than I'm used to off the tv generally and other RB performances specifically. It's as if the cameras used were of an earlier less HD quality. I wouldn't say orangey.

4 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

I've recorded it twice as well and found it a tad fuzzier on replay than I'm used to off the tv generally and other RB performances specifically.

I've found that with several of the RB products I've seen on Sky Arts - including the Ashton bill, but oddly only Symphonic Variations, while The Dream and Marguerite and Armand were noticeably of better quality.  I was wondering if it was deliberate.

Not sure if there’s a need for a new thread but I very much enjoyed the New Year’s Day concert and managed to see it live. Very poignant with no audience in the Musikverein, still beautifully decorated with flowers as usual, and the Vienna Philharmonic as fabulous as ever. They too looked so very much the part and it would be far too churlish to mention one wayward tie. As always the Vienna State Ballet provided sparkling contributions. Riccardo Muti was conducting: I hadn’t appreciated that he’s 80 later this year, although I now realise it’s 40 years since his searing Macbetto at the Royal Opera House back in 1981. His brief heartfelt address was appropriately fitting, hitting just the right note. It made for a real change to have the Radetzky March without audience participation and very touching to see the on line audience applaud with a kaleidoscope of multiple screens. Well worth catching on BBC’s iPlayer.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2021 at 14:37, Jeannette said:

Alison, I believe that the fear was that the Vienna dancers wouldn’t be able to rehearse and film the numbers during COVID...but they did so, splendidly. However, there was something haunting about the empty auditorium  at the Musikverein...no clapping along to the Radetzky March at the end. Must admit to a few tears.

I was clapping along at home!

• Like 1