White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

55 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

They did say though that if you can’t make it there in person it won’t take your child out of consideration and they’ll decide another way x 

Just wonder how realistic that is when they haven’t even said upfront what that procedure will be? Very stressed since we will not be able to attend in person and feels like it will be a pro-forma afterthought for all those who can’t attend to be seen via some other method after all selections have already been made

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BalletPapa said:

Just wonder how realistic that is when they haven’t even said upfront what that procedure will be? Very stressed since we will not be able to attend in person and feels like it will be a pro-forma afterthought for all those who can’t attend to be seen via some other method after all selections have already been made

If your child is a JA, they may assess in class. A few years ago, when snow prevented the full cohort of finalists from attending, they delayed finals results until all the children had been seen. One of the children that could not attend finals was offered a place at WL.

3 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thank you Cotes du rhone. 

I think the decision will be made for DS as we’ve heavily limited ourselves anyway (and he’s fine with that).
The testing is proving a major a barrier too and with WL knowing about the postcode lottery on LFTs and not allowing affordable/reasonable alternatives, there’s a high chance we might not even make it there. 

I am really still hoping that a solution for everyone is found regarding the covid test.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

I am really still hoping that a solution for everyone is found regarding the covid test.  

I really hope so too.

It’s really good news but also rather frustrating hearing other schools aren’t requiring test results to attend. The 48hr results timeframe is just too much to ask parents to adhere to with such limited resources. Even them ordering extra and charging us for the LF tests to be done onsite would be better. 

I hope there will be a solution. 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

LFTs are barely 76% accurate. That info is on the Gov.U.K. Website. To level the playing field and if they really want every child tested prior to entry they should have done it at the school on arrival. It’s simple and takes 30 minutes. They have medical staff available on site. I’m sure parents wouldn’t have minded a small fee either. Really though PCR testing would be more accurate. 
Also, aren’t we still in a travel lockdown when these auditions are scheduled ? 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

LFTs are barely 76% accurate. That info is on the Gov.U.K. Website. To level the playing field and if they really want every child tested prior to entry they should have done it at the school on arrival. It’s simple and takes 30 minutes. They have medical staff available on site. I’m sure parents wouldn’t have minded a small fee either. Really though PCR testing would be more accurate. 
Also, aren’t we still in a travel lockdown when these auditions are scheduled ? 🤔

Yes they're not very accurate but a lot cheaper and I don't think they wanted to tell us to get PCR due to the cost, however many of us can't find lateral flow so still having to pay for pcr or more expensive tests....its not ideal...I think you're allowed to travel for education purposes x 

• Like 2

I think people should consider now what school their child might move to if they get assessed out, especially if you live in an area with complex admissions systems or you are giving up a place at a good state school that you might not be able to get back into with ease. If you can afford an independent school, you might have more options. I know one boy whose family turned down their place at WL for this reason.  I’ve also known two pupils assessed out from WL. One went on to an independent academic school. Another went on to Tring. If Elmhurst is saying they now guarantee a full five years, I assume that might mean fewer places there in higher years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rowan said:

I think people should consider now what school their child might move to if they get assessed out, especially if you live in an area with complex admissions systems or you are giving up a place at a good state school that you might not be able to get back into with ease. If you can afford an independent school, you might have more options. I know one boy whose family turned down their place at WL for this reason.  I’ve also known two pupils assessed out from WL. One went on to an independent academic school. Another went on to Tring. If Elmhurst is saying they now guarantee a full five years, I assume that might mean fewer places there in higher years.

We had a plan for every stage of Ds/Dds training. It is essential to discuss the possibilities and choices available to them during their ballet journey. Remember, ballet is not the be all and end all and it is not all they are or ever will be. 

• Like 3

A bit of a change of subject but would anyone know how many spaces will be open on the Mid associate classes in year 7? Do all the JAs have to apply again or do they automatically carry on to the mids? My DD is not a JA, I’m wondering what the chances of her being offered mids is and whether there is only a few places or whether a whole new class opens up? Xx 

Just now, Dancermom said:

A bit of a change of subject but would anyone know how many spaces will be open on the Mid associate classes in year 7? Do all the JAs have to apply again or do they automatically carry on to the mids? My DD is not a JA, I’m wondering what the chances of her being offered mids is and whether there is only a few places or whether a whole new class opens up? Xx 

From my understanding there are very few mids places available and also depends on which centre you are at. I think they put year7-year 9 together so each year it only opens up a handful at each centre. Usually those who got to WL finals but didn’t get selected are in the running first for Mids places .. that’s how I’ve always understood it .

2 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

From my understanding there are very few mids places available and also depends on which centre you are at. I think they put year7-year 9 together so each year it only opens up a handful at each centre. Usually those who got to WL finals but didn’t get selected are in the running first for Mids places .. that’s how I’ve always understood it .

Thank you. I was worried you might say that about the classes! I didn’t know whether they had a class for each year or not. So as you say there’s probably not a lot of year 7 spaces 😩

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dancermom said:

Thank you. I was worried you might say that about the classes! I didn’t know whether they had a class for each year or not. So as you say there’s probably not a lot of year 7 spaces 😩

Unfortunately not, but they do a waiting list too. Some they offer MA’s to will decline and go to Elmhurst so that may free up some space too. It’s such a shame they are such small classes compared to junior associates 

1 minute ago, The red shoes said:

Unfortunately not, but they do a waiting list too. Some they offer MA’s to will decline and go to Elmhurst so that may free up some space too. It’s such a shame they are such small classes compared to junior associates 

Yes and also surely the ones that have been JAs previously would usually get first look in? X

3 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

Yes and also surely the ones that have been JAs previously would usually get first look in? X

They do.... at the White lodge audition. They are strongly encouraged to audition for WL even if they just want an MA place and not WL. The whole 3 years of JA is all geared towards training them for WL... 😅

1 minute ago, Dancermom said:

My DD was on the SWL for JAs last year and has made white lodge final. I fear it’s going to be so near yet so far again for her but she’ll do her best and I definitely think she’s improved a lot since last year x 

Never give up hope... I’m sure I read on here a girl got a no for JA every year and ended up in White Lodge!!! 
Your dd has done an amazing job to get this far.. and if it’s a “not yet“ use this as fuel to keep going , keep working and keep improving until the next time. If she wants it that much, she shouldn’t give up 😊xxx 

4 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Never give up hope... I’m sure I read on here a girl got a no for JA every year and ended up in White Lodge!!! 
Your dd has done an amazing job to get this far.. and if it’s a “not yet“ use this as fuel to keep going , keep working and keep improving until the next time. If she wants it that much, she shouldn’t give up 😊xxx 

Thank you, yes she will definitely keep going! 🥰 she’s looking forward to her experience at white lodge whatever the outcome! And yes I heard that story too so there’s always hope! Xx 

14 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

My DD was on the SWL for JAs last year and has made white lodge final. I fear it’s going to be so near yet so far again for her but she’ll do her best and I definitely think she’s improved a lot since last year x 

Hi dancer mom. My daughter was swl and was fortunate to get a place off the list, however we were told that very very few places were given to year 6 because of covid and limits on numbers. They said there were a lot of talented children who unfortunately they couldn't offer a place. It is quite possible in a different year she would have got in so I would stay positive. A swl means they are good enough and they wanted you but didn't have the places. A very encouraging sign xxx

13 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

My DD is in the same situation shes not a JA and was SWL for year 6.  I have told her to enjoy every moment of the audition and to keep dreaming big.  It’s going to be a special day for all our DC. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ballet Dreams said:

My DD is in the same situation shes not a JA and was SWL for year 6.  I have told her to enjoy every moment of the audition and to keep dreaming big.  It’s going to be a special day for all our DC. 

Definitely. What a lovely opportunity to dance in white Lodge. Our expectations are low so we are just going to enjoy the experience and make memories!! X 

31 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

They do, as someone said. But that should not mean they get places ahead of the many other young dancers who just didn’t happen to start dance lessons before the age of ten, or who had never heard of JAs, or were unable to audition previously, or indeed take up places they were actually offered. The JA/MA/SA programme is meant to be an outreach scheme, not a closed shop for those already in the know.

Edited by rowan
Typo

19 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

We are in the same situation too and I have told her enjoy her special day at WL finals (that would be memorable day irrespective of the outcome). Good luck everyone 🤞

31 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Hi dancer mom. My daughter was swl and was fortunate to get a place off the list, however we were told that very very few places were given to year 6 because of covid and limits on numbers. They said there were a lot of talented children who unfortunately they couldn't offer a place. It is quite possible in a different year she would have got in so I would stay positive. A swl means they are good enough and they wanted you but didn't have the places. A very encouraging sign xxx

This is interesting I was wondering whether this might have been the case. Usually in year 6 another class opens up so do you think they may have stuck to the one class in year 6 this year? X

2 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

What Covid test email? Is this to do with WL finals? What does it say? 😬

It basically confirms a negative test is needed lateral flow within 48 hours PCR within 72 hours, home tests are ok aslong as they are ones from school or that have a barcode that can be registered on the nhs test and trace app which is great news as it’s given us all lots more options to get this sorted now 😀 it also said dates to follow shortly 

Just now, Weloveballet said:

It basically confirms a negative test is needed lateral flow within 48 hours PCR within 72 hours, home tests are ok aslong as they are ones from school or that have a barcode that can be registered on the nhs test and trace app which is great news as it’s given us all lots more options to get this sorted now 😀 it also said dates to follow shortly 

Thanks! Getting info from this forum seems to be quicker than getting an email at the moment! That is good news! 😊 Thank you so much @Weloveballet!

• Like 2

Just now, TwirlyWhirly said:

Thanks! Getting info from this forum seems to be quicker than getting an email at the moment! That is good news! 😊 Thank you so much @Weloveballet!

its a great forum isn’t it, so good for information and it’s good to realise that everyone else is going through similar concerns! No problem hope yours comes through soon 

• Like 3

Just so everyone knows, the school tests can’t be registered on the Test and Trace app as the barcode has to be reported to the government website rather than the app but you do then get a follow up result email from the NHS, which I have just confirmed with Royal is acceptable! 
I just wanted to clarify with them that there  didn’t have to be evidence in our Test and Trace apps!

Thought I’d let everyone know so nobody panics when you don’t get a code to input into the Test and trace app! 

• Like 1