Elmhurst Young Dancer Newbies

Daintydancer

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! My DD is starting year 5 in Birmingham. 

Does anyone know if they run a year 4/5 class then a separate year 6 class as JAs? 

I wonder if they’ll delay the start slightly this year given all that needs to be sorted. 

12 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Does anyone know if they run a year 4/5 class then a separate year 6 class as JAs? 

I wonder if they’ll delay the start slightly this year given all that needs to be sorted. 

I had thought that as well I guess the have a lot to sort out I am just pleased that the are running the scheme and have let new Children join.  I think year 6 is usually separate and than a year 4/5 class similar to RBS.

In Birmingham there is 3 separate classes for year 4,5, and 6. The year 4 class started at 845, and then there is a break and then jazz after (which is optional). I think the year 5 class was the same time last year but someone who was in that class might be able to confirm that..🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Astrid said:

In Birmingham there is 3 separate classes for year 4,5, and 6. The year 4 class started at 845, and then there is a break and then jazz after (which is optional). I think the year 5 class was the same time last year but someone who was in that class might be able to confirm that..🙂

Thanks for clarifying we are joining Plymouth I think it’s a smaller centre but have no clue as I don’t know anyone who attends Elmhurst my DD friends are JAs.

34 minutes ago, Astrid said:

My DD wa in the Y5 class Birmingham last year and yes, it was at the same time as the Y4 class (8:45 to 10:15 Ballet, 10:30’to 11:30 Jazz). 

congrats to all the newbies and I hope your DC enjoy the classes as much as my DD has since she started in Y4. 

Edited by dancefanatic
  • Like 1

Hi!!

my daughter is starting Manchester year 5. I have no idea what we are doing, we didn’t for a second think she’d get a place and we know pretty much nothing about it- apart from her teacher thought it would be good for her.

I have a few questions if anyone can answer....

how many children are in each class roughly? Do they have to reapply every year?

does anyone know how much the fees are?

Does anyone know the times for Manchester? 
Is there somewhere for parents to wait?

Do they ever get the opportunity to perform in front of parents?

sorry for all the questions- as I said I am clueless!

We are also in one of the regional centres. They usually run it as follows:

Y4 - 9.15-10.45

Y5 - 11-12.30

Y6 - 12.45-2.15

all Ballet, no other classes (which is different to Birmingham). 

There is usually a Watch Week at the end of term, in all centres, I believe. 

It’s a gorgeous programme. Sure your children will love it!

NOTE: each regional centre will have different timings but this was just to give an idea. 

Edited by TinyNEDancer
For clarification

7 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

We are also in one of the regional centres. They usually run it as follows:

Y4 - 9.15-10.45

Y5 - 11-12.30

Y6 - 12.45-2.15

all Ballet, no other classes (which is different to Birmingham). 

There is usually a Watch Week at the end of term, in all centres, I believe. 

It’s a gorgeous programme. Sure your children will love it!

1 hour ago, Dancemum100 said:

Hi!!

my daughter is starting Manchester year 5. I have no idea what we are doing, we didn’t for a second think she’d get a place and we know pretty much nothing about it- apart from her teacher thought it would be good for her.

I have a few questions if anyone can answer....

how many children are in each class roughly? Do they have to reapply every year?

does anyone know how much the fees are?

Does anyone know the times for Manchester? 
Is there somewhere for parents to wait?

Do they ever get the opportunity to perform in front of parents?

sorry for all the questions- as I said I am clueless!

I don’t know about Manchester but at bham there was about 16-18 girls maybe in our class this year?

At bham you can wait in the reception and go to the canteen, but I doubt we will be able to next term I imagine it will be drop and go...As the current students are there having lessons..

We haven’t been told time’s or how it will work yet.

X

45 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Out of curiosity have existing students been told what date the lesson will resume in September and what time they will be.  I was positive the year 6 was 145 last year in Plymouth.

BalletDreams, I’ve had no communication since mid July so no idea when we’ll start back this year. In previous years we started the Saturday before boarders returned to Elmhurst but as the students are facing a staggered return this year with only Y7 and Y12 returning on Sunday 6th, with other year groups on the Monday and Tuesday evenings, your guess is as good as mine!

1 minute ago, dancefanatic said:

BalletDreams, I’ve had no communication since mid July so no idea when we’ll start back this year. In previous years we started the Saturday before boarders returned to Elmhurst but as the students are facing a staggered return this year with only Y7 and Y12 returning on Sunday 6th, with other year groups on the Monday and Tuesday evenings, your guess is as good as mine!

Thanks for that I guess we will just have to wait and see.  One more question do the young dancer associates where full sole ballet shoes or split sole and is it satin, leather or canvas.  My DD only has split sole canvas. Do we have to buy a specific brand as my DD has very narrow feet. We have been told the uniform list will be emailed to us soon.  But thought I would ask.  

Regarding footwear, the preference is for full soled satin shoes with elastics not ribbons. No particular make though so you should be fine there. Split soles seem to come in gradually from Y6 to most Y7s from what I’ve seen with my elder DD. Elmhurst don’t stipulate one brand over another all the way through the school thankfully unlike some vocational schools. 

uniform comes from Dancing Boutique who do have a website if you want a sneaky peak. Most DC do seem to have the tracksuit as well as the leotard, at least they do in Birmingham. 

37 minutes ago, Bluebird22 said:

Oh I’m glad they’ve dropped the set shoes! Manchester used to have horrible Bloch satin split sole shoes, that were cut really low at the sides, not a great shoe for growing kids and flexible feet.

Sound horrid. Not sure if these are the shoes on the school suppliers’ website but having an older DD with difficult feet to fit I don’t purchase the set shoes since buying horrible leather ones 6 years ago from the RBS JS supplier that just didn’t fit Or work for her. So younger DD has benefitted from my refusal, if you like. But to be honest Elmhurst has never insisted that either of my girls have a set shoe and that’s with my elder one being a vocational student for the last 4 years. She’s now moving into Upper School and we have finally bought a set shoe for her flamenco shoe, which has been fun to fit!! 

On 15/08/2020 at 09:40, BellaF said:

Hi .. just wondering whereabouts you live as we will be together in Birmingham :)

5 minutes ago, Candycakes82 said:

Hi .. just wondering whereabouts you live as we will be together in Birmingham :)

Hi! 😄 We’ve just moved to Lichfield so it’s only about a 35 minute drive to Birmingham. Will you be travelling very far? Though he has a Sunday associates programme back in London every other Sunday, so we will be putting the miles in.