Elmhurst Young Dancer Newbies

Daintydancer

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, In at the deep end said:

Can anyone who is an existing Young Dancer advise on the 'dance mat or towel' email please? Another Mum and I thought it wouldn't be possible for the young dancers to dance on a towel, so we invested in dance mats. They've arrived, and are huge/heavy 😱 Too big, we feel? What are people's thoughts? TIA 

Most of them have mats - and I think most of them have the one they recommend which is basically a yoga Mat style, which Comes with some straps? Most of them have them sling over their shoulders when they carry them in. They use them a lot in jazz as well, I don’t remember anyone having a towel in watching week but I’m sure it would be fine if they say it is? 
Ours doesn’t seem heavy - just a lightweight yoga style mat? We got it off their list. I’d just go for that one.  Hope that helps! 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Astrid said:

Most of them have mats - and I think most of them have the one they recommend which is basically a yoga Mat style, which Comes with some straps? Most of them have them sling over their shoulders when they carry them in. They use them a lot in jazz as well, I don’t remember anyone having a towel in watching week but I’m sure it would be fine if they say it is? 
Ours doesn’t seem heavy - just a lightweight yoga style mat? We got it off their list. I’d just go for that one.  Hope that helps! 🙂 

That’s the one I purchased too. From the Elmhurst YD section of their website. Other classes are now asking that he brings a yoga mat (or towel) so there is no skin contact with the floor. I would just personally find towels don’t have ‘structure’ and might not stay as flat as a yoga mat. 

2 hours ago, In at the deep end said:

Thank you both! I think we've made an expensive mistake 😳🤣 At least we've realised now, rather than when the poor kids try to drag their mats into the studio!! 

I’ve bought so much wrong equipment and kit in the past, I could probably start my own dance shop 😂 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whiteduvet said:

Spamcat where are you? Manchester isn’t starting until 26th I think (hope!)...! 

@Whiteduvet We are Birmingham and they were meant to start last Saturday but it was cancelled due to staff levels but we've just had an email saying they are starting this Saturday. 🙂 I don't know about Manchester sorry. Xx

Did everyone enjoy their first day at Elmhurst? I expect I was stood right next to some of you and I wanted to say 'are any of you @BellaF or @BalletBoysDad etc but I thought I might seem a bit weird! 😂

My DD said that in her class it was only her and a couple of other girls wearing the 'puke' canvas shoes and everyone else was in satin ones. She really hates those shoes and they are like boats on her feet, last year it was satin.

14 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Did everyone enjoy their first day at Elmhurst? I expect I was stood right next to some of you and I wanted to say 'are any of you @BellaF or @BalletBoysDad etc but I thought I might seem a bit weird! 😂

My DD said that in her class it was only her and a couple of other girls wearing the 'puke' canvas shoes and everyone else was in satin ones. She really hates those shoes and they are like boats on her feet, last year it was satin.

Haha I thought the same! I was looking at people thinking ‘hmmm, she might be a @Spamcat😂 My son really enjoyed it and said he thought all the boys were very nice. Looked roughly around 12/14 boys at a very quick guesstimate. Most already had the tracksuit (presumably the old one as the new one still hasn’t been dispatched)  which makes me think there weren’t many new boys. Did your DD enjoy the actual class? I’ll identify myself next time lol. Picking my DS up at 11:45am outside gate C. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Spelling
  • Like 1

@BalletBoysDad yes thank you she really enjoyed it and was soooo happy to be back! Sounds like there were a lot of new girls in her class. Glad your son enjoyed it too. I also bring my DDs friend who is a boy and he said there were a few new boys in his class, yes you can pretty much tell the newbies by the lack of tracksuit!

I had to run from one door to the other to pick up my DD and her friend at the same time at two different ends of the building.

1 minute ago, Spamcat said:

@BalletBoysDad yes thank you she really enjoyed it and was soooo happy to be back! Sounds like there were a lot of new girls in her class. Glad your son enjoyed it too. I also bring my DDs friend who is a boy and he said there were a few new boys in his class, yes you can pretty much tell the newbies by the lack of tracksuit!

I had to run from one door to the other to pick up my DD and her friend at the same time at two different ends of the building.

Glad your DD enjoyed being back! Blimey, it sounds like a slightly logistical stress, though the staff do seem kind and understanding. My son is called Beau and much to his surprise, for the first time in his entire life found himself in a class with another Beau! It sounded like a friendly group and other children were kind to him so it allowed it all to be enjoyable and not at all daunting. He’s definitely looking forwards to next week. 

That is lovely that he felt so at home with the other children. It is such a friendly place. What a lovely name!

That made me laugh when you said 'she might be a spamcat' 😂😂. I am spamcat because I had a cat called Spam, who had red hair like me! 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

That is lovely that he felt so at home with the other children. It is such a friendly place. What a lovely name!

That made me laugh when you said 'she might be a spamcat' 😂😂. I am spamcat because I had a cat called Spam, who had red hair like me! 😁

I will say hello to anyone I see with red hair next time 😂 Did you say you and your friend alternate who takes your DD and your friends DS each week? We feel rather lucky it’s local-ish and didn’t require waking up at the crack of dawn.  Though alternate Sunday’s are a five hour round trip so we pay our dues elsewhere. 

Yes we take turns so it will be the boy's Mum taking them next week. I was so glad to get the 10.30 class for a while as it is normally 8.45 meaning we have to get up at 5.30am. 😱 This morning felt like a lie in! There are some good things about this situation! 😂 My DD loved the smaller class sizes too. 0nly 12 in her class and last year it was close to 30.

5 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Yes we take turns so it will be the boy's Mum taking them next week. I was so glad to get the 10.30 class for a while as it is normally 8.45 meaning we have to get up at 5.30am. 😱 This morning felt like a lie in! There are some good things about this situation! 😂 My DD loved the smaller class sizes too. 0nly 12 in her class and last year it was close to 30.

I imagine it’s different for the students who were already there last year. But I find it slightly odd to take my son to a place which I’ve never seen inside, and don’t imagine I will for a very long time. But at the same time, it’s nice to see it as a ‘pupil-only’ space, so it’s his own personal adventure. The only difference with Tring was that the studios are mostly glass so you get a feel from what it’s like, even from outside. 

It is lovely inside, the entrance bit where the parents sit has sofas and chairs, I always really enjoy sitting and chatting to the other parents so I miss that. There is one studio with glass and sometimes ours do Jazz in there or older students in there so you get a sneak peak. They usually do watching day once a term where parents go into the studio but I imagine that won't happen for a while either.

12 hours ago, In at the deep end said:

Just out of interest, does anyone know the year group size in Birmingham YD? It's hard to see who is who, as yr4 seem to be mixed with yr5. Mixed boys and girls as well? I thought it was 20 per year group? But they're all split into groups of 15. And has anyone managed to get the uniform yet?? 

Year 4 and 5 girls are not mixed. I'm not sure about boys but they don't usually mix them. Last year there was about 20 something girls and 8-10 boys in yr 4 (boys and girls separate). This yr my DDs class has been split in half with 12 in her class, so about 24 girls. Her friend who is a boy (also yr5) said there is about 10 in his class. They both said some had left and some new yr5s had started.

So yr group size for yr5 seems to be about 34; 24 girls and 10 boys.

• Like 1

@Spamcatthank you, but I've already ordered the uniform! I went for the smaller size, so if ut is too small I might take you up on that 😉 My DD definitely has boys in the class. And as they go in, I've been looking and some children look older, and I'd say at least half already had uniform on the first day and knew each other. Yr 4 were only accepted the week before term started, so none of us have uniform as it's all out of stock! 

For reference, we're 08.45-10, Door C (purple group with Miss Sherman) X

Edited by In at the deep end
Typos

They must have mixed yr4 boys and girls this year then, maybe there wasn't enough boys for them to have their own class? The bit about having older ones in the group is odd though. I did hear someone say her new yr5 was offered a yr4 place until she was up to speed so there could be more doung that.

I know for definite that my DDs yr5 class is only yr 5 girls (10.30 purple) and the other half of her class is all girls (8.45 blue) and her friend (boy) is in a 10.30 class of only boys. My DD was originally in blue group and swapped with a girl in purple.

2 minutes ago, Bookish said:

I didn’t think they were mixing years, but my dd is convinced the rest of her class already know each other! She’s door B 8:45. 

Which group colour is she?

It just doesn't make sense because the yr5s are in my DDs class which is split in half and not mixed with yr4s.

@Astrid there aren't any yr4s in your half of the class are there?

2 minutes ago, In at the deep end said:

It must be different to make bubbles this year? My DD is in a different group from her yr4 friends. She's one of 16 in the group, 4 boys, 12 girls and she says definitely yr 5 who were there last year and new Yr 4's 🤔 She's loving it though! 

It will be nice when they can get back to normal again.

Maybe some yr5s have been kept down to catch up? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Bookish said:

@Spamcatshe’s Blue group, 8:45-10 door B. Maybe they are mixed then? Might explain why she thinks they all know each other? 

My DD was originally in this group:

Year Group 5 

Class - Blue 

Time - 08.45 - 10.00

But swapped with 10.30 purple.

They must have put some yr 5s in with the yr 4s too. That would explain why my DD thought some had left.