Elmhurst Young Dancer Newbies

Daintydancer

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

The Elmhurst suppliers are having trouble with uniform due to a backlog at the factory caused by the lockdown, with lots of full-time students on back order too. The school are being very understanding in the meantime. I think the associate uniform is the same as previous years though, so you might be able to pick up a second-hand one on the buying/selling page to do you for now.

Sounds like others will be in the same boat then, thank you!

I will have a nearly new age 8-10 leotard for sale as soon as the next size up one arrives (on back order). The sizing of the leotard comes up small by the way, my DD is an average height slim built 9 yr old and the 8-10 is too small for her.

4 hours ago, Spamcat said:

I will have a nearly new age 8-10 leotard for sale as soon as the next size up one arrives (on back order). The sizing of the leotard comes up small by the way, my DD is an average height slim built 9 yr old and the 8-10 is too small for her.

My daughter comes up small so hopefully the 8-10 I’ve ordered will be ok for her once they get the stock in. If the bigger sizes arrive earlier I’d be interested in your 8-10! Otherwise we’ll just use her usual kit until things turn up. At least I know now that lots of people will be waiting for uniform if the manufacturers are behind at the moment.

Thanks all. This level of dance is all new to us!

• Like 1

@Bookish it is weird because the leotard fits her width ways but is really tight under her armpits, the armpit bit seems to be really high. 🤔 I ordered another age 8-10 because I was convinced I'd shrunk her old one in the wash but the new one is just as tight so now I've ordered the next size up!

I've not heard of a yr 5 child going into yr 4, don't think that happened last year? My DD said all the girls in her class were yr4s. There must be something special about your DD but they think she needs a bit of time to catch up? Congrats on the place!

My friends DD is applying for yr4 but doesn't even have her audition until 5th September. Can I ask what time the yr4 class is as we hope to share lifts if she gets in? Xx

1 hour ago, Spamcat said:

@Bookish it is weird because the leotard fits her width ways but is really tight under her armpits, the armpit bit seems to be really high. 🤔 I ordered another age 8-10 because I was convinced I'd shrunk her old one in the wash but the new one is just as tight so now I've ordered the next size up!

I've not heard of a yr 5 child going into yr 4, don't think that happened last year? My DD said all the girls in her class were yr4s. There must be something special about your DD but they think she needs a bit of time to catch up? Congrats on the place!

My friends DD is applying for yr4 but doesn't even have her audition until 5th September. Can I ask what time the yr4 class is as we hope to share lifts if she gets in? Xx

The class is at 8:45 according to the letter I’ve had.

Initially after the audition I had an email saying that they wanted to discuss options for her. When Miss Whiteman called, it was to say they had seen something in her and wanted to give her a chance, but yes, felt she wasn’t quite at year 5 level so suggested this to bring her up to speed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bookish said:

@Spamcat thank you. I’m really pleased they’re prepared to give her the chance. She’s very excited, but quite nervous too.

It so nice to hear many positive and encouraging things about Elmhurst. I’m feeling really optimistic about this programme for my DS too. I’m sure the nerves will fade away as soon as studio time starts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bookish said:

Hi, I’m new to the forum. My daughter has been offered a year 4 place, with a view to move into year 5 after a term if she catches up, following a phone discussion with Miss Whiteman. (She is year 5 age). I believe there may be others with the same offer? 
 As this meant our offer was slightly later than others, we only had the email with all the registration forms, uniform list etc late Wednesday night, so I ordered her kit yesterday, but it’s almost all out of stock. Has everyone else found this too? I’m a bit worried her leotard won’t have arrived by the 12th. Thanks

Hi,

A friend of mine, her DS auditioned for a year 6 place but had a phone call to discuss going into year 5. I’ve heard this happen to someone else last year too so I think it’s quite common. Tell her to grab it with both hands!!!! Xx

Assuming the leotard hadn’t changed (is it still Bloch cotton/spandex tank style?), I also have one available in Age 12 if anyone is struggling to get hold of one.

Lots of luck to all the new starters - it’s a really lovely experience 😊

11 hours ago, Dancemum100 said:

I’m a little worried now, I’ve ordered a 8-10 for my daughter. She is 10 in October, quite slim but average height- I hope it’s not too small! 

How tall is she? My 9yr old DD is 134cm slim build and the width of the leotard is fine but it is too short in the body for her, and digs in under her armpits and over her shoulders.

Just tried the 8/10 leotard on my DD - it's (very) snug but think we'll get away with it. She's average build 139cm tall if that helps.

Do most girls wear the leggings or tracksuit bottoms? 

Not long now! Tring CBA next week so last Saturday free for a while 🙂

19 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Just tried the 8/10 leotard on my DD - it's (very) snug but think we'll get away with it. She's average build 139cm tall if that helps.

We wear the tracksuit - I think they are having a re brand or something? As we didn’t have the option of leggings before. So you might get an exciting new tracksuit 😅 The bottoms are very baggy so leggings are a good idea I think! They don’t show any pictures do they.. I love a rebrand...

The new shoes are pretty ermmm ....interesting 😬 if anyone has a recommendations for canvas full sole that come in a narrow fit? These are very wide. We have sized down but if anyone knows of any others I’d be grateful..

2 hours ago, Astrid said:

We wear the tracksuit - I think they are having a re brand or something? As we didn’t have the option of leggings before. So you might get an exciting new tracksuit 😅 The bottoms are very baggy so leggings are a good idea I think! They don’t show any pictures do they.. I love a rebrand...

The new shoes are pretty ermmm ....interesting 😬 if anyone has a recommendations for canvas full sole that come in a narrow fit? These are very wide. We have sized down but if anyone knows of any others I’d be grateful..

Agree re shoes ... They look awful on my DD and she has nice feet but also very narrow and the shoes look baggy 🙈

15 minutes ago, Candycakes82 said:

Agree re shoes ... They look awful on my DD and she has nice feet but also very narrow and the shoes look baggy 🙈

I trying to search for an alternative. I’ll let you know if I find one! I think a few have the same problem. The Bloch ones they suggested previously came in a A width and so we got those! But these are so wide? We sized down if that helps at all.. It was slightly better but not much! 
our local dance shop is a very good one with a national website branch, and they said the Bloch used to do a canvas full sole but don’t do it any more. They said freed were the only ones they knew of (which are the ones they suggest) 🤔 

oh well at least they will all be the same 😁

3 hours ago, BellaF said:

My daughter is 137cm, I’m wondering if I should ask them to swap it but I just have visions of the age 12 being way too big! 

7 hours ago, Astrid said:

Oh that's good to know - I've actually ordered the tracksuit bottoms as I didn't read the uniform letter properly.  Spoken to DD and she's happy to stick with them, especially as they'll be others in them.

Having read the letter now I've realised that we should have got the shoes from the shop as well 🙈 DD also has narrow feet so I've contacted our usual shop to see if they can source a suitable pair - hopefully that'll be ok?

4 hours ago, Dancemum100 said:

My daughter is 137cm, I’m wondering if I should ask them to swap it but I just have visions of the age 12 being way too big! 

I'm sure it will be ok! DD is definitely not a skinny build and is fine on her. 

18 hours ago, Astrid said:

I trying to search for an alternative. I’ll let you know if I find one! I think a few have the same problem. The Bloch ones they suggested previously came in a A width and so we got those! But these are so wide? We sized down if that helps at all.. It was slightly better but not much! 
our local dance shop is a very good one with a national website branch, and they said the Bloch used to do a canvas full sole but don’t do it any more. They said freed were the only ones they knew of (which are the ones they suggest) 🤔 

oh well at least they will all be the same 😁

My DD feet also very narrow have you tried so danca full sole canvas.  I think that’s what we will be going with as my DD usually has split sole canvas from so danca.  The full sole canvas are also really cheap.

22 hours ago, BellaF said:

I contacted the supplier and they have confirmed that the tracksuit is brand new for this year.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

My DD feet also very narrow have you tried so danca full sole canvas.  I think that’s what we will be going with as my DD usually has split sole canvas from so danca.  The full sole canvas are also really cheap.

Do you think the teacher will mind them not wearing the mandated shoe as it's full sole canvas? I'm keen to avoid reading the above but don't want to get DD in trouble. 

13 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Do you think the teacher will mind them not wearing the mandated shoe as it's full sole canvas? I'm keen to avoid reading the above but don't want to get DD in trouble. 

I am sure buying a different pair of shoes will be fine especially as every child’s feet are different. As long as they are full sole canvas.   We have had a pair of freed aspire before and they looked like boats on her feet.  So I won’t be buying them.  I guess individual teachers may also have a preference with regards to shoes as well.  I am sure it will be fine

On 30/08/2020 at 09:55, Ballet Dreams said:

Oh that is so helpful thank you! I hadn’t seen those. I’ll give them a try! 😃

On 30/08/2020 at 10:44, BellaF said:

No I don’t think they will mind at all. They just say a full sole canvas. last time they said full sole satin and while they recommended a shoe solong as they were full sole satin it didn’t matter. 🙂

• Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 11:04, Astrid said:

Oh that is so helpful thank you! I hadn’t seen those. I’ll give them a try! 😃

Just received the full sole So Danca ones and they are like boats too ... They fit very differently to their split sole ones! Not really sure what else to try ... Seems like it's boats or nothing!