"Kevin knew the reality of that and how to put on a season against the Royal Opera. For example when The Ring is on there are only three ballets which can run during the same period."

http://www.balletassociation.co.uk/Reports/2012/O'Hare12.html

IIRC, the two options I think O'Hare mentioned at the time were Romeo & Juliet and Swan Lake (can anyone confirm?), so presumably Mayerling must be the third option?  Must admit that I can't see the logic behind that, but never mind.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 20:25, JohnS said:

I struggle with the idea that those who book early and miss out on discounts are ‘penalised’.  I am very happy to book early for the certainty of attending a performance, the greater range of seats available, and the chance to book favourite seats.  If my neighbour happens to pay less by booking the week before, good for them.  I’m just pleased if performers have a full house and audiences express their appreciation.

Has Woolf Works already been revived once although I’d be delighted to see it brought back again?  I’d also see Frankenstein and Raven Girl.  I’m afraid The Unknown Soldier I thought irredeemable but even then I’d probably book if Francesca Hayward were dancing as she’d clearly been heavily involved in its creation.

Well, John, here's the thing.  I book early, sometimes so that I can see the cast I want and get preferred seats but not having oodles of money to burn, it is sometimes a struggle having quite a lot of my funds tied up in RB tickets.  But I accept this as the price I am willing to pay to indulge my passion.

Maybe I am not as altruistic as yourself but yes, I don't mind admitting that I would feel a little sour if the person sitting next to me had got their seat at half price.

And yes, Woolf Works has been revived once but Winter's Tale has had three runs and, enjoyable thought it is, for my money its not in the same league as WW.

Edited by penelopesimpson

46 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

And yes, Woolf Works has been revived once but Winter's Tale has had three runs and, enjoyable thought it is, for my money its not in the same league as WW

I wonder whether Woolf Works takes a lot of planning to put on - there are a lot of principals involved at the same time; and if Ferri's and Galeazzi's presences are considered essential that's a further scheduling consideration.

It may be that the first revival was pencilled into diaries well before the premiere and before it was known to be a big success; a second revival might since have proven more difficult to arrange.

57 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Maybe I am not as altruistic as yourself but yes, I don't mind admitting that I would feel a little sour if the person sitting next to me had got their seat at half price.

I find myself sitting next to students who have paid £10 quite a few times most years.

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Personally, I’d rather see the seat with someone in it, rather than it being empty.  If it’s a first-timer or someone of limited means, then even better.

I have to admit, I’ve been on the other side of this many times recently in London theatres, making good use of day seats and similar offers and it’s often quite easy to get a very decent seat for a good price if one is looking for a single seat.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, capybara said:

I find myself sitting next to students who have paid £10 quite a few times most years.

I should have added that I applaud it too. The conversation is often very interesting as many student ticket holders are just discovering ballet.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Maybe I am not as altruistic as yourself

I’m not sure altruism plays a part.  I’ve chosen to book early and have that certainty of my booking and been happy to pay the price at the time.  If later those seats are discounted, I’m no longer that interested because I’m not in the market for purchasing tickets and I don’t think there’s much to be gained by speculating on what might have been.  I do think performances are better when houses are full and there’s a real buzz in the audience - but preferably not audible during the performance.  

What’s going to be a little odd in the new season is finding I’ve paid c20% less than my neighbour because I’ve bought a package.  I still find it very hard to understand the largesse of the discounts offered.  I should say this is all a bit theoretical as I certainly don’t make a habit of discussing ticket prices with my neighbour.

I should add that I do fully appreciate the cash flow problems, not just the outlay for tickets but trying to purchase rail tickets 3 months in advance to get the best deals.  Throughout the year I have a monthly budget but outlays for Autumn and Winter in particular do result in a pretty big hit.  It’s a good job my favourite hotel doesn’t require a deposit/payment in advance.

• Like 6

My strategy re tickets is to home in on one performance of each ballet who has the cast I most favour at the time....getting increasingly difficult to decide of course....I then pay for a place I want to sit in so may pay a bit more just to ensure have got those tickets in advance....though usually have a choice of frontish Amphi (A-F) end of row seat ...or rows D or C in the Balcony in terms of affordability.

Then I might go for a cheaper seat later on much nearer the time to go to see another cast......usually I aim to get Stalls Circle Standing if possible for these later "seats" 

I don't care who has paid what for their seat to be honest and it's not usually a topic of conversation if I do get chatting to a neighbour! 

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

Five tickets have appeared for the 9pm performance on Thursday 10 October of the Cross Currents triple in the Linbury.

Thanks very much, I managed to get a ticket as no tickets were available on general booking! 

There are actually 5 tickets available across all four performances - all in the same place!! Funny that...

Gosh ROH really has taken a significant chunk of my spending money this month. 

i don't mind in the least sitting next to someone who.has got a student ticket, although I feel,slightly envious! Students are often really enthusiastic and are really enjoying being able to see excellent ballet or opera at a low cost. And let's face it the best way of learning to enjoy and build up an interest in ballet  particularly is to see as much as possible. That's the way to develop Camden and knowledgeable future audience.

• Like 2