New ROH website - 2019 and 2022 versions

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

imagine that many organisations probably feel it’s not an efficient use of funds to produce publicity materials for a limited number of users.  Would you or your friend be willing to pay for an information brochure?

I think most organisations have a reasonably priced subscribers scheme where printed information is sent out. I receive this from several organisations - National Theatre for one. Both my friend and I are Friends and I'm perfectly happy to get my additional information on line; some folk still prefer,their information in print.

• Like 2

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Not sure about that, Ninamargaret.  Booking a meal is now a nightmare.  I am eating on April 9 and whereas you used to be able to see the menus for each production, these now only become available nearer the time which means a problem unless you are dining with somebody you live with!  God knows why the caterers haven't demanded a better system; lady I spoke to sounded thoroughly disenchanted.

But you forget that if you're booking for the 'experience ' you probably don't care what the food is as long as it's expensive!

• Like 1

I so agree, Ninamargaret.  Whilst I am fine with online information, so many people find it hard to believe that there are still many people who do not use websites.  This is particularly prevalent in older age groups and therefore the ROH should accommodate this as their core audience is more mature.  I find it especially hypocritical coming from an organisation that makes much of its inclusivity credentials that it chooses not to communicate in forms acceptable to everybody.  It seems they are more desirous of communicating with some audiences than with others!  That is hardly inclusivity.

• Like 4

I recently received a long, good quality printed booklet from Sadler's Wells for the forthcoming year. Very useful, and nicer than spending yet more endless time glued to my laptop. And I'm not a member of SW.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I recently received a long, good quality printed booklet from Sadler's Wells for the forthcoming year. Very useful, and nicer than spending yet more endless time glued to my laptop. And I'm not a member of SW.

I am a Patron of the RSC, at the lowest level, about equivalent to my

ROH Friends membership, also the lowest level. I receive mailings for each booking period, generally two per year. More like a newspaper than the glossy ROH mag. Also included a very detailed booklet with details of performances, events, prices, details of discounts etc. This is also freely available at the theatre. I get regular emails about extra events, tours etc,and discounts on their shop, restaurants and occasional offers on touristy attractions. I would think if one large national arts organisation can provide this the ROH could do so as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bridiem said:

Lucky you.  This time, they've only sent me the totally useless fold-out :(  - you know, doesn't tell you show times, programme components, vital things like that.  I'll have to see if I can procure one.

Has anyone found a way of looking at past performances on the new ROH website? I was there last night for Berenice in the Linbury, 7pm start, and what ever was in the main house had a 6.30pm start so I heard the 10 minute call for it. I thought the announcement said Faust but now I've seen a post on the ROH's Instagram saying Faust opens 11th April. So I'm now wondering what was in the main house last night but the new website calendar won't let me look even 1 day back.

Edited by Dawnstar

That’s why it’s best to use the full April display which then let’s you look at what’s on, what’s been on etc avoiding the unhelpful ‘Tickets & Events’.  Infuriating that we still don’t have a decent calendar on the new website.

• Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:03, Scheherezade said:

Sorry, John, how do we do that through the new website? The only calendar that I can get up is via tickets and events and all past April dates are then inaccessible.

Hi Scheherazade - have you tried this link:

https://www.roh.org.uk/events?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZjemJGV4QIVwiaGCh2S0AMaEAAYASABEgJhrPD_BwE

I think Richard found it some weeks ago and it still seems to work for me.

Edited by alison
To highlight text

When I went on earlier today, the picture accompanying the Romeo & Juliet blurb was, I think, for Berenice!

And trying to get the site to filter on opera and cinema broadcasts has just failed utterly.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2019 at 22:58, alison said:

When I went on earlier today, the picture accompanying the Romeo & Juliet blurb was, I think, for Berenice!

And trying to get the site to filter on opera and cinema broadcasts has just failed utterly.

I suspect that the filters have been coded so that they select on the basis of OR rather than AND which I suspect many of us might prefer. So you get opera or cinema broadcasts ie masses of results, not Opera cinema broadcasts. You can't use the filters to narrow down what you are looking for. 

17 minutes ago, alison said:

I thought that was what filters were supposed to be for!

What she means is you can't narrow the results further using the same category of filter. Checking multiple boxes brings up all results for all of those types chosen rather than just the results which fit all the boxes checked.

There's a type of search/filter called faceted search which allows you to filter search results - many online retailers use it - but it might not have been considered cost-effective or possible to implement on the chosen platform. (Apologies for the boring explanation.)

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 5

I don't remember being able to select a list of opera cinema screenings only (for example) on the old website. However, the cinema page on the old website did allow you to search for forthcoming encore screenings of productions for which the live relay had already occurred. I can't see how to do this on the new website, where the cinema page appears to list the 'find a showing' link only for productions where the initial live screening has yet to happen. Any advice on this would be welcome!

Edited by Josephine

I think you may have to wait until the live screening is past?  Certainly I managed to find a number of Encore screenings for Forza afterwards.  Or possibly set the cinema filter to Recorded or Encore or whatever it says?  (They aren't the same: I think the Encore(?) one will only take you to the Sunday afternoon ones, whereas you need the other option for other showing times)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alison said:

I think you may have to wait until the live screening is past?  Certainly I managed to find a number of Encore screenings for Forza afterwards.  Or possibly set the cinema filter to Recorded or Encore or whatever it says?  (They aren't the same: I think the Encore(?) one will only take you to the Sunday afternoon ones, whereas you need the other option for other showing times)

Apologies, I did not distinguish between encore and recorded screenings in my earlier post. The cinema page on the new website seems to give links to information only about forthcoming live relays and associated encore screenings.

The new website cinema page does appear to imclude the 'Find a showing' link for La forza del destino, for which the live relay date has passed but was fairly recent. However, when I click on this link I get the 'Screening search' page for Faust (this live relay is yet to happen). I know from links via the old website cinema page that there is a UK recorded screening of La forza del destino in Littlehampton next Tuesday:
https://windmillcinema.co.uk/WindmillCinema.dll/WhatsOn?Programme=2548328
A link to this information appears unobtainable via the new website cinema page.

As far as I can see, the new website cinema page currently omits productions for which live and encore screenings have already occurred but which still have forthcoming dates for mostly international recorded screenings. Setting the filters on the new website to, for example 'Type of event - cinema broadcasts' plus 'Booking season - Autumn 18/19' gives the result 'No events found', even though there are still some future dates for US recorded screenings of Mayerling and La Bayadère from last Autumn's ROH season.

The old website cinema page gave filter options for 'Live and encore' and 'Recorded'. The 'Recorded' option gave links to information about these later screenings after the encore dates. I found this filter useful, for example in finding a recorded screening of Swan Lake in Brighton last summer. At present I can't see any option for a similar search on the new website cinema page. But I'd be very pleased to know if there is a filter I haven't spotted!

I was just having a nose around on the ROH website (looking for the Cinemas link, which doesn't appear as a separate item) when I discovered that the "Students" scheme has now been renamed "Young ROH".  This is disgustingly ageist of the ROH - have they never heard of mature students?!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Josephine said:

The old website cinema page gave filter options for 'Live and encore' and 'Recorded'. The 'Recorded' option gave links to information about these later screenings after the encore dates. I found this filter useful, for example in finding a recorded screening of Swan Lake in Brighton last summer. At present I can't see any option for a similar search on the new website cinema page. But I'd be very pleased to know if there is a filter I haven't spotted!

Josephine, since the "Cinema" link now just takes you to the details of each production which involves a live relay, you then need to click on the production you're interested in.  If you put in your location, there should be a filter immediately below which give you options for live, encore and recorded.  At least, that's how it works for Romeo & Juliet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Josephine said:

The new website cinema page does appear to imclude the 'Find a showing' link for La forza del destino, for which the live relay date has passed but was fairly recent. However, when I click on this link I get the 'Screening search' page for Faust (this live relay is yet to happen). I know from links via the old website cinema page that there is a UK recorded screening of La forza del destino in Littlehampton next Tuesday:
https://windmillcinema.co.uk/WindmillCinema.dll/WhatsOn?Programme=2548328
A link to this information appears unobtainable via the new website cinema page.

Another apology - I've just checked again the 'Find a showing' link for La forza del destino, and this time it did work, thankfully! Perhaps the new website cinema page will continue to give accurate links to recorded screenings for productions from now onwards, even though those for future recorded screenings of earlier productions currently remain concealed??

8 minutes ago, alison said:

Josephine, since the "Cinema" link now just takes you to the details of each production which involves a live relay, you then need to click on the production you're interested in.  If you put in your location, there should be a filter immediately below which give you options for live, encore and recorded.  At least, that's how it works for Romeo & Juliet.

Thanks Alison  - my point remains that currently the new website cinema page seems to give the 'find a showing' option only for those productions for which the live relay has yet to happen, with the sole exception of La forza del destino, as stated in my post above.

Currently it is not possible, as far as I can see, to check for future recorded screenings of other productions once the live relay date has passed.

6 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

If you go to the link below and click on 'recorded' at the top of the list, it gives the option to look for future screenings of  earlier productions (The Queen of Spades, Don Q, Mayerling...etc)

https://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

Thank you - yes I do have this page bookmarked from earlier times. It is exactly the old website cinema page which I referred to in my long post above.

However, if the link to this page is disabled in the future then this helpful filter option will be lost, unless it can be transferred to the new website cinema page.

38 minutes ago, alison said:

I was just having a nose around on the ROH website (looking for the Cinemas link, which doesn't appear as a separate item) when I discovered that the "Students" scheme has now been renamed "Young ROH".  This is disgustingly ageist of the ROH - have they never heard of mature students?!

There is a separate page link for Cinemas on the new website. It's the page  I've referred to in my posts above:

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/all?event-type=cinema-broadcasts

But a further check on the 'Find a showing' link for La forza del destino is now taking me straight back to Faust again!!

Edited by Josephine

16 hours ago, alison said:

It's only open to students up to the age of 28 I think. A friend was trying to join when doing a masters in thei 30s and couldn't join due to their ancientness.

I never understood why it's only aimed at students rather than young people, tbh. 

• Like 3