Grace on Ice

Apart from the whole issue of whether or not she should be competing, it is dreadful that those who also won medals in the same competition are being denied their moment of triumph on the podium receiving their medals.  They are being punished as well, when they have done nothing wrong.

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/02/2022 at 16:15, FionaE said:

The mental toll on Valieva right now must be unimaginable.  I am so sorry for her.  I’d like to believe she is a victim in this situation.  The whole thing is just too awful. 

At fifteen, there’s no question in my mind that Valieva is the victim, and the fact that she’s been met with “stony faces” from other competitors (according to Robin Cousins) saddens me immensely.  Poor child. 

The most ridiculous part of all this is that no drug in the world can give someone the talent, grace and artistry that Valieva has in abundance; quad or no quad, she is still technically brilliant but also streets ahead of her competitors in terms of presentation, finishing every element and move with beautiful balletic hands and gorgeous lines.  So the only possible motive for (allegedly) doping her is to get her to train for longer, which is in itself exploitative.

I would like some good to come out of this whole sorry mess; the IOC needs to decide with some urgency whether a lower age limit is needed (personally I think the Olympics and Worlds should be for 18 and over), the ISU needs to do the same, and all children and teenagers in national and international elite sport should be protected from exploitation and abuse.  

It’s not just Valieva’s entourage at fault here, changes need to be made in all areas, and all those responsible should be dealt with swiftly.  It’s all an unholy mess, unfair on the clean athletes of all nations, unfair on the medallists, but most of all, a terrible amount of pressure and focus on (and no doubt, a hefty amount of victim blaming from some quarters) a young teenager, which in my opinion is unacceptable.

• Like 10

Thankyou so much for your post Anna. 
I think I am pretty much where you are on this. 
I really do hope the senior age is raised to 18 as I think this could go a long way to help stop the exploitation of these girls. 
Having to do 12 hours training a day as young as 13-14 is just not good for any young body and therefore have to disagree with the poster who said that Valieva is young enough to have loads of other chances. The fact is that with this particular trainer they start heavy training really young and usually their careers are over by 16. Have a look at all Tutberidze’s other young girls it doesn’t look as if any of them skate beyond 17 and most suffer from injuries brought on by over training especially in how the quad is taught. 
If the age was put up I think the quads would come later but be less stressful on the body as it matures and gains more natural strength. 
This whole episode has been handled so badly and I do feel for the ridiculous situation skaters have been put in that they will not be able to be awarded any medals gained in this current section of the competition. 
I have watched Valieva’s short programme (not from yesterday but from the team competition) several times now and it’s truly beautiful. All that hard work over the years which has come to fruition in this Olympic Games ruined in the sense her wonderful talent cannot be completely celebrated as it should because of this drug situation. The tragedy is she doesn’t need any drug. I would have been happy to wait to see her peak a little later at 19 completely clean and I’m sure even more satisfying to watch ( with or without the quads) 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 9

In better news, I finally caught up with the Ice Dance free programme yesterday and it was terrific.  Great to see Gabrielle Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron win Gold, especially after their upsetting wardrobe malfunction in the short programme at Pyeong Chang in 2018.  Really super performances from the top 10. 

• Like 2

This is so difficult to watch and read: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60399342

Maybe it's hindsight speaking, but it's hard not to agree with everything Robin Cousins said - though by the sounds of it Valieva will need a change of coach to have those two more Olympics. I hope very much that it happens.

(p.s. I looked her coach up and if even half of this is true, it's shocking that she's allowed to continue.)

• Like 4

Absolutely heartbreaking.  This afternoon’s free dance/long programme was very difficult to watch.  I thought Robin Cousins was kind; he showed compassion for Valieva and was mindful that she’s only 15, which a lot of other people seem to have forgotten.  

I just hope that the IOC and the ISU see today as a wakeup call and remember that the person at the centre of this controversy is a 15 year old who has been exploited at best, abused at worst.  

• Like 10

So sad.  I watched it live and winced all the way through,  feeling so sorry for that immensely talented young girl.  She is the victim here.  Whatever the outcome I hope that she can move forward and win the medals and plaudits she deserves.  

• Like 6

Very sad indeed, and so sad that this is marring what should be such a very enjoyable sport, and  competition.

I stil got a lot of pleasure from it though and Robin Cousins is a big part of that with his commentary. Though I still rank them all as dancers rather than skaters and end up with a different rank order!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Maybe it's hindsight speaking, but it's hard not to agree with everything Robin Cousins said - though by the sounds of it Valieva will need a change of coach to have those two more Olympics. I hope very much that it happens.

(p.s. I looked her coach up and if even half of this is true, it's shocking that she's allowed to continue.)

Given that the gold and silver medallists are from the same stable, I think we should prepare ourselves for the possibility that they too might test positive :(

• Like 3

On a happier note, how wonderful was Sakamoto Kaori in her delighted reaction to her well-deserved bronze medal? Jumping up and down, skipping across the ice, instigating the podium hugs with the Russian girls, and possibly outdoing Keegan Messing's sportsmanship (back in 2019 he reached out and held up the Japanese flag for Hanyu Yuzuru at a medal ceremony, Hanyu got off the podium and faced the flag, and Messing received praise from many quarters).

She skated her free program clean, which is all that can be asked, and her short program was powerful and musical. 

Yes she looks like a lovely person! 
Winning a medal at the Olympics should be a joyful and celebratory experience …and for most with that touch of disbelief that omg that went better than I expected lol….

All these skaters work so hard and have days when keep falling over or messing up steps and edges etc!! So when it ALL comes together (similar to in a ballet class really) it is a very satisfying feeling so when this happens at a major competition like the Olympics I’m sure it can seem a bit miraculous! 
I really hope we never see the scenes we saw last week ever again at the Olympics and hope the senior age will be raised to 18 which I think can help to take the pressure off such very young skaters stressing their bodies any more than has to be to reach World and Olympic level skating. 

But yes very well done to Kaori Sakamoto! 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I accidentally turned on BBC Red Button last night to find the skating World Championships were on, so had a great time watching.  I particularly liked the Korean skater Lee, whose first name escapes me at the moment - I thought she was lovely.  Didn't quite win, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, alison said:

I accidentally turned on BBC Red Button last night to find the skating World Championships were on, so had a great time watching.  I particularly liked the Korean skater Lee, whose first name escapes me at the moment - I thought she was lovely.  Didn't quite win, though.

Thanks so much for alerting me!! I had no idea, but it's all on iplayer so I am happily catching up.

Why this never seems to be publicised is mystifying.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Not ballet but certainly dancing on ice!

Incredible, in case you missed it. Wow. Triples, quadruples, and all while on that slippery stuff. 

There's more. The 'rasberry'!  WOW. 

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2