Grace on Ice

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the same when I look at videos of Peggy Fleming!  When I was a child, she was the best.  I guess everything moves on...but having said that, look at this from 50 years ago;  she could hold her own today!

• Like 7

Two very exciting "ballet stories" for us in the US.  

Nathan Chen, a former ballet student at Ballet West, and our national men's champion:  http://www.pointemagazine.com/nathan-chen-ballet-training-2528323039.html

And the beautiful ice dancing couple from France, Cizeron and Papadakis, who got a little help from ballet and Jeffrey Cirio:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/10/25/259553222/papadakis-cizerons-free-dance-gets-balletic-touch

• Like 4

Well Amelia thanks for posting that!!

The other night I was looking at a video of Polunin when somehow underneath I saw this video and then spent an hour watching quite a few others as well including the other Russian lady who is also very graceful but not quite as strong as Alina.....though I liked her "gala" piece I know her name begins with M but will have to look up. Haven't looked at the ice dance bit yet.

i was in fact going to put "ice skating coverage " into room 101 but not been that well last couple of days.....because I saw this was 2018 and haven't seen ANYTHING AT ALL about this anywhere ....just caught by chance on YouTube ....most annoying!

this is the other Russian lady Evgenia Medvedeva ...though thought her character came out more in her gala piece. I think she has a lot of feeling in her skating but compared to Zagitova on this occasion lacked a bit of panash and her jumps were not so accomplished. I have a feeling she has just come back from injury though.

I would say he was the first man to really put ballet into figure skating.  How lovely he was.  I remember watching this;  I can't believe it was 42 years ago.  Poor John Curry.  I am so pleased that his influence still extends to the sport long after he left us.  

• Like 8

Exactly Mary....where is it? I only found the recent competition clips on YouTube ....had no idea was on and have seen nothing  about it in general tv programming. Perhaps it's now only on sky sports or something.....I used to love watching it when they showed all the rounds in the past.

• Like 2

By the way fromthebalcony thanks for that ice dancing clip....lovely...a couple to rival the Canadians now I think...who have been my favourites until now even though I think,the canadian couple were beaten by the Americans in the last big competition.

so this was the European Championships .....does anyone know when the next World or Olympic competition is....as sometimes the ice skating doesn't seem to be in the same year as the other sporting events.

The Olympics start in February.  I really would love to see this French couple win the ice dancing.  They are just beautiful.  And, yes, it was very sad about John Curry - his father did not want him to study ballet. However, he elevated figure skating, in my opinion.  It is sad to me today, but I much prefer the ice dancing to the figure skating, as I feel that skating has become quite the circus at times.  I would rather see a beautifully done double or triple turn (no matter which) than a quadruple poorly done.  (I feel the same about ballet in terms of pirouettes and fouettes - give me a beautiful double pirouette and single fouettes well-executed.)  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

Well, if you are talking about grace on ice, how about this from the history books?  Maybe it looks a bit old fashioned these days, but look at those lines.  He would have made a wonderful ballet dancer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LpULZwvjcA

Just magnificent. It doesn't look old fashioned at all to me. It looks perfect!

• Like 4

The powers that be have obviously decided that if there is no Curry, Cousins or Torvill & Dean that no-one could possibly be interested in figure skating, so it is buried somewhere in the depths of satellite TV.  Thank goodness for YouTube, otherwise we wouldn't see any.  

• Like 4

We have discussed the unforgettable John Curry in the ‘Don Quixote pas de deux’ topic last year, I think. I still keep old video cassettes with John's recordings. What was overpowering for me in his performances -- his devotion to Ballet. 

Aesthetically the best for me among the couples in the 1960s-70s were Belousova & Protopopov. Even their simplest movements, like in Curry’s skating, were beautiful: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrL54VzA1T4

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

We have discussed the unforgettable John Curry in the ‘Don Quixote pas de deux’ topic last year, I think. I still keep old video cassettes with John's recordings. What was overpowering for me in his performances -- his devotion to Ballet. 

Aesthetically the best for me among the couples in the 1960s-70s were Belousova & Protopopov. Even their simplest movements, like in Curry’s skating, were beautiful: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrL54VzA1T4

Wonderful! Thank you so much for posting this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Sim, not quite. By coincidence Darcey's New Dance show on the BBC on Saturday includes the wonderful Canadian skating collective Le Patin Libre dancing part of their Vertical performance.

Ah, so we will get a few minutes of skating on terrestrial TV!  Woooo!  They are indeed wonderful, but where are all the figure skating competitions?  Unlike Le Patin Libre, I suppose they are considered old fashioned, traditional and dull.  

Well they don't seem to mind having hours and hours of snooker on tv which to me personally is much more boring than ice skating!!

But not to even have SOME highlights is really sad. Come on BBC2 there's quite a few of us out there who are skating fans!

• Like 5

I have a theory about why certain sports are shown on TV and others aren't. Snooker, motor racing and football are sports that people can relate too. Most people have kicked a ball at some point in their lives and many people drive. Quite a few have had a go a snooker. However, the main reason they are shown, is that these sports are slow and confined, and the TV camera can follow the action. Tennis and basketball are other examples. You'll never see lacrose on the TV. The ball moves too fast (about 200 kph) and the play can change ends in less than a second - the camera can't keep up. Several of my friends used to play lacrose and it was a thrilling sport to watch live.

Golf is an intesting example. For most of the time the ball in on the green and the camera can follow it, however you do get a lot of shots of just the sky, which I'm sure makes compelling viewing for some :) They try to make snooker look more interesting than it is. If you watch the opening credits for a snooker broadcast, they'll try to jazz it up by showing flames coming from the ball and other gimmicks. Actually, I think snooker would be far more entertaining if that annoying bloke stopped putting the balls back on the table.

• Like 3

Actually, I quite like snooker!

F1 racing I just do not understand at all. It gets far too much coverage.   Tennis, on the other hand, used to get far more, and has been cut right back.  I think the only reason we get anything at all other than Wimbledon is because we have 4 British players, two of whom are showing they have the ability to be top players.  And the other two are called Murray. 

I used to love ice skating, but if they don't show it regularly you get out of touch with who the current people are.  However, instead of showing those who are experts in their chosen field, tv companies in their wisdom have decided that we would prefer to see "celebrities" doing some wobbly routines on a Saturday night as they learn to skate. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, trog said:

I have a theory about why certain sports are shown on TV and others aren't. Snooker, motor racing and football are sports that people can relate too. Most people have kicked a ball at some point in their lives and many people drive. Quite a few have had a go a snooker. However, the main reason they are shown, is that these sports are slow and confined, and the TV camera can follow the action. Tennis and basketball are other examples. You'll never see lacrose on the TV. The ball moves too fast (about 200 kph) and the play can change ends in less than a second - the camera can't keep up. Several of my friends used to play lacrose and it was a thrilling sport to watch live.

Golf is an intesting example. For most of the time the ball in on the green and the camera can follow it, however you do get a lot of shots of just the sky, which I'm sure makes compelling viewing for some :) They try to make snooker look more interesting than it is. If you watch the opening credits for a snooker broadcast, they'll try to jazz it up by showing flames coming from the ball and other gimmicks. Actually, I think snooker would be far more entertaining if that annoying bloke stopped putting the balls back on the table.

I think the more obvious explanation is that sport on television is almost entirely controlled by men.

• Like 3

Just now, jm365 said:

Mostly it's a question of money.  Sports rights are very expensive and the satellite channels buy them up to attract viewers.  The BBC for one cannot compete.

I'd be very surprised if* rights to skating coverage were anywhere near as expensive as they are for several other sports which the BBC does cover.

*I know for a fact they aren't

• Like 2

This is one thing for which I am grateful.  We have a few stations over here that have been showing lots of skating:  all of the championships leading up to the Olympics, but also past competitions.  It is has been wonderful watching it.  That is one complaint my American friends have when living in London - television!  Other than that, they love it!  How is the coverage of the Olympics for you?

• Like 1