Royal Ballet McGregor/Wheeldon insight Feb 27

3 minutes ago, Jillykins said:

Can’t find it! Was it filmed? 

As noted above, it will be made available online at a later date.

I would suggest that insights that are held in the Linden Studio will not be live-streamed as that studio is not set up with the technical capability to do so.

It was an enjoyable insight, led by Clemency Burton-Hill.  It started with McGregor rehearsing Bonelli, Lamb and Richardson in a pd3 from the second movement of Chichester Psalms.  As we have come to expect from McGregor in his more mature RB years, the choreography was rather lyrical and sat on the music very well.  Quite a number of intricate movements, elegant shapes and jaw-dropping extensions from Lamb.  The rehearsal continued with a short burst of Lamb and Richardson in a pd2 from the third movement.

Q&As with the choreographers didn't really cover any new ground.

Wheeldon's piece is to Serenade after Plato's Symposium (a piece that Wheeldon has previously used in a piece for Boston).  He rehearsed Sambé and Magri in a pd2 for the 3rd movement (the piece is a five movement violin concerto).  Lots of fast steps and exciting ("but don't make it too exciting, Marci") movements with, IMO, somewhat of an inspiration from Balanchine.

An enjoyable evening and worth catching up with it when it's online.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

, IMO, somewhat of an inspiration from Balanchine.

An enjoyable evening and worth catching up with it when it's online.

agreed on both counts - sorta shouted 'Rubies' in the snippet we saw. And a really good rehearsal by both choreographers.

It will go up on YouTube, I expect, before opening night, but to watch at your leisure so there won't be a set time to 'catch it'

Also, I hadn't noticed this before:

"The previously advertised performance of New Wayne McGregor / The Age of Anxiety / New Christopher Wheeldon on 13 April 2018 has been replaced with a performance of Manon, due to scheduling changes."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Also, I hadn't noticed this before:

"The previously advertised performance of New Wayne McGregor / The Age of Anxiety / New Christopher Wheeldon on 13 April 2018 has been replaced with a performance of Manon, due to scheduling changes."

That change was made before spring booking opened...

32 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Yūgen means “an awareness of the universe that triggers emotional responses too deep and mysterious for words.”

Thank you. And I see that Corybantic means 'wild, frenzied'. Not sure you should have to look up the meaning of a work's title though. Or maybe we shouldn't bother, and just accept that the meaning is too deep and mysterious for words. :unsure:

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Apologies for pedantry but did Dave mean 'yugened' or am I in need of further enlightenment?

With a great deal of trepidation I wonder what the programme notes will say?

Yugened if I know.

• Like 4

Someone ought to put Christopher Wheeldon in touch with some of the dictionary-swallowers who appear on Countdown.  I'm sure they'd be able to come up with some really obscure titles for ballets :)

Am hoping the ROH webpage will also be updated to tell the general public what the music they are using is.  Other collaborators are shown, but apparently the actual piece of music isn't so important :)

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet McGregor/Wheeldon insight Feb 27