Article on Polunin in Intelligent Life magazine

There is a long and detailed artiicle on Sergei Polunin in the latest issue (Sept / Oct 2012) of Intelligent Life magazine by Julie Kavanagh. This includes interviews with him and with members of his family and with staff at RBS and RB. I don't know if this will be available on line. (I'm sure the links team will locate it if it is). If not you may want to locate a print edition.

• Like 1

There is a long and detailed artiicle on Sergei Polunin in the latest issue (Sept / Oct 2012) of Intelligent Life magazine by Julie Kavanagh. This includes interviews with him and with members of his family and with staff at RBS and RB. I don't know if this will be available on line. (I'm sure the links team will locate it if it is). If not you may want to locate a print edition.

Sorry. Am editing this posting as I thought I'd found a link to the article but, despite September 2012 being at the top of the page, the article is clearly an old one! I'll leave the link in case anyone's interested in it.

http://moreintellige...ins-rising-star

Edited by Bluebird

An entertaining and well-written article. This young man (Polunin) obviously made the right decision for himself. I'm glad it has for the moment worked out for him... even if it had to sadly leave so many (RB) others in the lurch. I am glad too that Polunin is now able to feel comfortable and appreciated in a culture that is obviously far more native to him than the UK ever could and to which he so obviously belongs. The mentoring situation with Zelensky will I'm sure be a long-standing and a positive one; Zelensky, himself, I think, always felt distant at NYCB. You could see that clearly reflected in his performances .... However, NEVER has there EVER been a smile so broad as his at the end of Western Symphony. Both he and Polunin are very Slavic Cowboys ... or at least desperately wanting to be. May they both be happy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just come across a couple of photos on the web of Polunin and Kristina Shapran in "Marguerite and Armand". Not in the Beaton costumes and decor. Have they actually performed in this ballet with the Stanisklavsky, or are these posed photos in anticipation of the real thing? And how have they managed to get permission to perform what has been up to now a closely guarded work, although I believe that Sylvie Guillem has danced it in Japan?

M & A is in the repetoire of the Mikhailovsky.

Polunin fans may be interested to know that he is appearing with Shapran on Sunday 16th at the Herod Atticus in Athens, with several other RB dancers on the bill plus the Kirov's rarely seen Daria Pavlenko

• Like 1

I have just come across a couple of photos on the web of Polunin and Kristina Shapran in "Marguerite and Armand". Not in the Beaton costumes and decor. Have they actually performed in this ballet with the Stanisklavsky, or are these posed photos in anticipation of the real thing? And how have they managed to get permission to perform what has been up to now a closely guarded work, although I believe that Sylvie Guillem has danced it in Japan?

I believe it's in anticipation; the Kavanagh article suggests it's been promised to him. Marguerite and Armand was added to the Stanislavsky rep in 2009, I think, after Sergei Filin became its director. Even before then, it was danced by Nina Ananiashvili (who is, by the way and totally off-topic, a magnificent Marguerite) with the Georgian State Ballet.

• 2 weeks later...

Sergei Polunin has become a great sensation in Moscow. Critics and ballet fans are united in admiration for his technique, elegance and artistry. After dancing just one role he won the online vote by the Stanislavsky ballet-goers as the best dancer of the season.

And he is getting there exactly what he wanted to get - dancing in different ballets and guesting at other theatres and galas.

Has already been filmed for a TV special ballet programme with other leading dancers.

His repertoire in autumn includes:

29 September - 'Swan Lake' at Stanislavsky: http://www.stanislav...s.html?did=2377

It is a special performance dedicated to the former prima ballerina of the Company Violetta Bovt (1927-1995) who was the first Odette-Odile in this excellent production by Burmeister.

9 October - 'Coppelia' -"- : http://www.stanislav...s.html?did=2384

13 October - 'La Bayadere' in Novosibirsk: http://www.opera-nov...e=4&caf:id=3186

29 October - 'Don Q.' at Stanislavsky: http://www.stanislav...s.html?did=2370

Next spring he will dance Rudolf in 'Mayerling' at Stanislavsky.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I read the article differently I guess. I did not read his statements as sniping at all. He probably does make two months salary in one gala performance. That is expected and he seems to be problem solving in a more mature manner. Leaving RB in the way he did was not proper but I am sympathetic. He was doing the majority of work due to injuries presumably without additional pay and not being allowed to guest. At that time it was announced that Vadim was going to ABT as a guest. I sympathize with Sergei. It would have been better for him to just wait for Dame Mason to leave but Mr O'hare seems to be righting some wrongs. I will be proud to see our angry son come home.

• Like 2

I'm going to see both of them because for me it was the two of them together that made it so special last time.

I'm more forgiving of Polunin: a young, immature guy blessed with a rare and extraordinary talent. They are few & far between so hurrahs to Kevin O'Hare for giving us the opportunity see him back on the RoH stage. I hope it will be the first of many appearances.

• Like 4

I feel that SP had some legitimate grievances and that if he had been more mature (I'm not blaming him for his immaturity) he might have been able to address them instead of storming out and then bad mouthing the RB to justify his behaviour. I've not read this latest article, and I feel that he should stop talking about his departure from the RB and concentrate on (and tell us about) his future plans.

I have to say that, given his continuing sniping, it's beyond me that the RB should be inviting him back as a Guest Artist.  Others, I know, will disagree violently - as ticket sales would suggest.

Well, my ticket purchases were based on Rojo and probably a few other people (and not so much on the programme, which doesn't contain many of my favourite bits of Ashton).

Capybara, I too attempted to post about the Telegraph article yesterday, but didn't succeed, so my apologies to everyone who might have liked to know while the magazine was still available.  I think some of their articles make it online, so perhaps you'll be lucky.  He did sound rather more mature and thoughtful in that interview, but I've no idea to what extent that depends on what questions he's asked ...

I read the article differently I guess. I did not read his statements as sniping at all. He probably does make two months salary in one gala performance. That is expected and he seems to be problem solving in a more mature manner. Leaving RB in the way he did was not proper but I am sympathetic. He was doing the majority of work due to injuries presumably without additional pay and not being allowed to guest.

Lisa, I think people were talking about the previous interviews, which didn't exactly cover him with glory. But he wasn't covering for injuries at the RB: most of what he did was scheduled months in advance - possibly too much of it, from what he's said.  Certainly too much of it compared with what some of his peers were getting, I thought at the time.

Anyway, I've welcomed various people onto the forum in the last few weeks, but can't remember whether you were actually one of them.  If you weren't, then welcome!

• Like 1

For Now Voyager, Igor Zelensky is director of the Stanislavsky. Sergei Filin is director of the Bolshoi.

For Stucha, I just saw this. 

Sergei Filin directed the Stanislavsky from 2008-11, and it was this period to which my post above referred.  It was after he left to direct the Bolshoi that Zelensky acceded to the Stanislavsky directorship. 

There was also an article in The Telegraph magazine yesterday based on an interview given to Sarah Crompton. I tried to post this as soon as I saw the piece but am not sure that I succeeded.

Link helpfully retweeted by The Ballet Bag: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/9824446/Ballets-prodigal-son-interview-with-Sergei-Polunin.html

Amelia: I fear that your Link gives access only to the opening words of the article and that has been the case since The Times (and Sunday Times) went completely behind a subscription paywall well over a year ago - the reason for our no longer giving Times links in our daily listing.  Other publications have partial subscription restrictions and we work around them as best we can.

Nonetheless, I saw the piece linked in hard copy the other day, and I agree that there's no doubt he is keen to make a pile - and I'm unlikely to contribute thereto if I can avoid it.

Ian Macmillan: My message gives a link to information. It can be compared to if one gives a link to information on some performance - opening the link does not give access to the performance itself, it will be necessary to buy a ticket. 

The same happens here: to see the full article one needs to subscribe or to go to a library. It is a matter of choice.

Therefore, I thought that information about a substantial article may be of interest to some Members.

I've read the entire article (the subscription fee is remarkably low) and I have to say that Polunin does not emerge very creditably.  He says he had too many principal roles at once and not enough time to make each one special (is that why he skipped rehearsals?) and was disappointed when he was made principal because he thought it would like being a top footballer i.e. lots of money and glory.  He admits to performing while high on cocaine, going nightclubbing and 'trying to get away with things'.  His real ambition is to be a multi-millionaire  and he says he would quit dancing if he could make loads of money some other way.  Someone should take him aside and quietly fill him in about real life.

• Like 2

I don't blame Sergei for being under that impression. Many top dancers command a substantial guesting fee and he deserves to make to most of his talent. I don't believe in the starving artist mantra. He deserves the money many others command. For example Osipova and Vasiliev. Denying him guesting and over working him in the home company is a recipe for disaster. I know many will disagree but the dancers have a very short career and have to make the most of it. We live in a very global society and its very different now yet the mentality of many companies remain the same. Cocaine use especially among the men is not uncommon. It's terrible when one turns to that and I would not want to be a ballerina relying on them but it spells an underlying problem. For the men cocaine boosts energy and confidence as well as masking pain. This enables them to perform for us. Naturally a terrible position to be in but the pressure is intense.

• Like 2

I've read the entire article (the subscription fee is remarkably low) and I have to say that Polunin does not emerge very creditably.  He says he had too many principal roles at once and not enough time to make each one special (is that why he skipped rehearsals?) and was disappointed when he was made principal because he thought it would like being a top footballer i.e. lots of money and glory.  He admits to performing while high on cocaine, going nightclubbing and 'trying to get away with things'.  His real ambition is to be a multi-millionaire  and he says he would quit dancing if he could make loads of money some other way.  Someone should take him aside and quietly fill him in about real life.

This sounds very much like what was said in the Daily Telegraph article the other week - although I thought the tone of that one was reasonably sympathetic.  Don't tell me ballet dancers now do the same sort of "multiple journalists in the room" interviews that film stars on promotional tours do?  I'm a bit surprised about the "top footballer" bit, though - how long had he been in this country?

lbeard, the subscription may be low, but some of us on these boards object to lining Murdoch's pockets.  I may wander down to the library later and see whether there's anything new in it.

He doesn't come across as a very sympathetic character, but he's from a different culture/ country, and had a childhood that was economically much tougher than is the norm in western Europe, so it's difficult to judge.

I have to subscribe to the Times/ Sunday Times for work, so can't help lining Murdoch's pockets. People can PM me if they want to see articles.

• Like 1

lbeard, the subscription may be low, but some of us on these boards object to lining Murdoch's pockets.  I may wander down to the library later and see whether there's anything new in it.

Alison,  my local libraries (now called 'Idea Stores' yuck!) have everything online and even in the past you could never find the review sections of the broadsheets. It's cheaper to have an e-subscription for all editions, everyday, than buy the paper weekend papers so I'm actually reducing what I used to pay to the Murdoch empire.

P.S. I don't mind if you use my first name - we've known each other long enough!