Article on Polunin in Intelligent Life magazine

It is more difficult than we might realise for young people to represent themselves well in the media. Think Prince Harry.

There are many 'back stories' or personal observations at the stage door or in rehearsal which can so easily get in the way of one's appreciation of Principal Dancers and I am glad to see on this site that posters are, in the main, rejoicing in Sergei's performance as Armand. I personally cannot wait until my second viewing next Thursday.

• Like 1

Why shouldn't Polunin earn a lot of money? I can see why he compares his earnings to those of footballers in the Premier League - who, in my opinion, earn a ridiculous amount of money for doing very little. He has come from an extremely poor background and, in a very short and uncertain career, it is not unreasonable that he wants to make a lot of money. I say good luck to him. I hope that he dances with Tamara at ENB.

• Like 1

I also have read this interview but Sergei emerged there for me in a more positive way. His words about “too many principal roles”, “ambition to be a multi-millionaire” and cocaine should be read in context.

He explained: “I had so many roles to prepare: in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Romeo and Juliet, La Fille mal gardée, La Sylphide and The Dream. How was I going to do all that and make it good? I wanted it to be special, to make it big every time.” This showed to me his serious attitude to work.

His disappointment with being unable to earn more (supposedly by guesting) after becoming a Principal can also be understood. International ballet stars command serious fees now and he as a highly talented dancer can also aspire to this while he is still young. A dancer’s very short career can be made even shorter by an injury. God forbid it to happen to him.

He said that he wants to be rich in order to help people — “only with power and money can you do that”. Well, we don’t know yet how he will do it but the idea itself is not bad at all.

When asked about experimenting with cocaine he said: “Quite definitely behind me”.

And about “Someone taking him aside and quietly filling him in about real life” he reassured us that Zelensky “has been teaching me to get that energy from within myself and not to put my energy into clubbing” and “Igor put me back on my feet.” 

He looks more matured to me now and I will give credit to him for this interview. 

And he maintained this credibility by his excellent dancing last Tuesday.

What concerns me now is that his name has disappeared from the list of dancers in Nijinsky Gala at Coliseum on 10 March. His partner Kristina Shapran’s name is still listed there.

• Like 4